My husband hates healthy food...help?!?

Options

Replies

• graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Does he enjoy veggies at all? It is still important to have carbs with meals so maybe have baked potatoes (get I can't believe its not butter, low fat cheese, low fat sour creams).. sweet potatoes, you can make corn fritters, cauliflower fritters. Also you can still have breaded meats but bake them instead of frying them up in the skillet. :)
  • chunkybun
    chunkybun Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've found a lot of adaptations for my husband and I:

I do a lot of pot roasts (moose usually as my husband is a hunter too). Veggies will take the flavour of the meat.
    He gets a large portion of potatoes with gravy & a few vegetables. I take a large portion veggies, less potatoes/no gravy
    He gets butter or sour cream on his veggies, I use lime juice and chili powder (so good!)

With soups/stews, he will get toast with butter, I'll have a couple of crackers.

I'll make him garlic bread with garlic butter. I'll just rub garlic onto dry toast for me.

Sometimes if he wants bread with dinner, I'll give him 2 1/2 pieces, I'll have 1/2

When I make vegetarian meals, I'll cook up a smokie or some bacon for him.

This doesn't have to be a battle, like everything in marriage, compromise will get you a long way.
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    I would just tell him to eat what I make or make his own dinner. Simple. He's a grown man - if he doesn't like healthy food, then he can make or buy his own crap. You're not his mom.
  • crystal075
    crystal075 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate. We eat our meals together, but I will only eat small portions and with all veggies for my entrees. He will eat the starch and larger portion of our meals. Other times, I just cook him separate meals than mines.
  • nbrown88ca
    nbrown88ca Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If he doesnt like it he can cook his own food.... just because he doesnt want to improve his life doesnt mean you need to sacrifice.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any ideas for any other swaps I can make while still keeping him satisfied? Or any great recipes or sites with recipes that he'll eat without complaint?

Shouldn't you be asking HIM those questions?

Seriously, he's a grown man. Cut the cord. Unless he's got officially diagnosed health problems related to his diet, then what's wrong with the way he eats? He's not gaining weight, he literally brings home the meat and grinds it himself. You're lucky.

It may require more work on your part to make separate things for him, but why is YOUR diet more important than his?
  • emuravyeva
    emuravyeva Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My husband is a picky eater. Really, really picky eater. Policy is simple: my house is not a restaurant. Eat what I cook. Or make your own food. But I meet him halfway at least 40% of the time.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Why not just cook the way he likes, and then you just eat a smaller portion?
  • Pr1ncessWarrior
    Pr1ncessWarrior Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    protein protein protein...water water water....and move move move. Have you tried taking a Zuchinni and ried it up alittle and use it as your noodles for your Spaghetti. I have the same problem in my house and I used that excuse for the last 5 years and I got bigger and bigger. Now that I have 40pds to loose I have managed to learn things to substute so we can both eat what we want and I can do the healther version. I do make sure I enjoy some of my fav foods once in awhile. I am down 25 pds and he is certainly enjoying the new me.
    Quinoa for you instead of potatoes for him and a sweet potato is good for both. I make Quinoa for the week so I just have to warm it. Make sure you have lots of fresh cut vegs and fruit for you when you get hungry. Rye bread helps with cravings pistachio nuts are also good to keep you feeling full.
    Use the internet to find things you can substute dont use him as an excuse not to be sucessful at your goals. He should support that and will when you start sporting a sexier body and having that great energy... good luck
  • mallory5385
    mallory5385 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I would go to skinnytaste.com they have lots of recipes that are alternative to the unhealthy food. They look really yummy!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    My husband hates fruits and vegetables. Know what I do? Nothing. I married him. We're happy. I'm not going to try to change him or the way he eats.

If I want veggies, I make a single portion.

^this^
  • fredman2
    fredman2 Posts: 57
    Options
    We have a rule in our house "If you don't like dinner make your own"

I have a rule in my house, it's 'if you don't like (whatever it is) then do it yourself'.
    That applies to cooking, cleaning, painting, chores, anything..
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

I have a rule in my house, it's 'if you don't like (whatever it is) then do it yourself'.

lol

I love these posts. Sure, make all the rules and watch what happens
  • zoquo
    zoquo Posts: 75
    Options
    Cook his meat deep fried (you just dont eat it) then have a side for him of all the healthy food that you eat. Also a good cross over food is lasagna make a big one without meat and just chuck a steak on the side or use meat substitute inside he probably wont know the difference. Have yourself a smaller portion and give him two plates full! Just balance your plate with more healthy and less unhealthy and vica versa for the man child. lol
  • Doc_V
    Doc_V Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is in construction and I'm an ex-chef. We eat entirely opposite. He wants brown, hot, and plenty of it. I like weird spices, sour and spicy, and I'll make anything into a salad. I eat lower carb and he would live off white bread and peanut butter (and I'm pretty sure he does when we aren't together).

For me, we do a lot of braised and grilled/pan sauteed meats. I'll roast a chicken, braise cube steaks, make a pot roast. Soups and stews are good too. I have been working on upping protein so that part works out. I'll have a huge salad with the meal, while I make him rice/pasta/potatoes. He's trying to eat healthier now so he's starting to try my weird foods, but I've found baby steps are good. He won't eat salad, but he'll inhale roasted or grilled veggies.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options

lol

I love these posts. Sure, make all the rules and watch what happens

That's one way to passive aggressively ask for a divorce.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    So don't cook your foods for him. There are some things my wife won't eat, no big deal.
    Then he can cook his own damn food?

That does not fit the bill of a loving and devoted spouse.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    sounds like my hubby. Here are some tips:
    grind up some black beans into your ground meat as a filler, this way you use less meat, add more fiber and he doesn't know the difference

never ever say the words healthy, always use the terms of new recipe, new food to try. etc. don't say good for you either

they make a white wheat bread, you could always buy it then switch it out in the pantry for your regular white bread:( okay this is how you got to be special ops and keep the old packages of anything you want to switch out. find a time to do this, and then put the new bread, coffee, healthier noodles, whatever it is into the old package. walah: now its secret healthy stuff) I do this a lot, Never let them see or know you do this, or the secreat is out the window.

you can also grind up vegies into your stuff and they wont know. ...

I swear men are worse than kids. At least with kids they have to do what you say.. lol:drinker: Don't stop being a special ops chef, its for the both of you even if he keeps fighting you the whole time. Be strong woman.

While I believe that there are men in the world who need to be lied to, coddled, and generally treated like 5-year-olds, it's really sad that there are women who put up with them. If your relationship requires lying and cajoling, a "strong woman" in this case would leave and find a real man.
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any ideas for any other swaps I can make while still keeping him satisfied? Or any great recipes or sites with recipes that he'll eat without complaint?

Shouldn't you be asking HIM those questions?
    what!? have her ask her husband instead of bunch of strangers on the internet? I mean COME ON we obviously knew better about his tastes then himself!
  • rlongfel
    rlongfel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My wife has become very good at "hiding vegetables" from the kids. She will shred up veggies and use them in many recipes that require ground beef (ie - meatballs, meatloaf, etc.). Also, as a side dish, I will often have bulgur wheat as a side with either beef or chicken stock in it for flavor - not bad. There are some other little things you can do. Cook with coconut oil, cut down on breads, etc. that he may not even notice.