My husband hates healthy food...help?!?

Options
123457»

Replies

• RunBakeLove
    RunBakeLove Posts: 101 Member
    Options

That's one way to passive aggressively ask for a divorce.

MOST of what is being said is the way to passive aggressively ask for a divorce. I get that some of these women don't feel like they need to cater to a man but isn't taking care of your spouse part of the vows?? (Granted it should be one sided) I don't think it is crazy that the OP wants to cook a meal that the both of them will enjoy instead of fending for themselves. It's a sign of companionship. Maybe I'm being naive but I really pray there isn't a day where I can't be flexible enough in my relationship that we end up eating by ourselves instead of together.

I think you need to have a talk with your husband and make sure he understands that you need his support in this. Ask for foods that y'all can compromise on. For example, I make stir fries all the time. SO has lots of rice, fills up on the meat and sauce and then maybe has a piece of broccoli. While I get to build my own bowl with a little rice, lots of veggies and tofu. One of us has to cook two proteins but it doesn't take that much extra time. When we have tacos, I use lettuce instead of fried tortillas, etc. It takes work and creativity.

Do you eat every meal together? If all else fails, maybe just scale back on the rest of your meals to make up for shared ones.
  • jf1324
    jf1324 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sorry to but in on your post but i need help asap. Im from the uk and would really love for someone to help me out with what types of food i can buy to hit my macros. I'm really struggling with this i I'm 17 and I'm a noob but really want to loose weight but I'm struggling to get near by macros. I also want to have verity because i found out the hard way that rice and chicken 2 a day every day gets old. Please help.
    for got to mention my macros are Carbs / Day 152.0 g, Fat / Day 54.0 g and Protein / Day 229.0 g
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,578 Member
    Options
    Just because you want to change the way you eat, doesn't mean he has too.
    THIS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Poor guy! He works a physical job 6 to 7 days a week and you are fussing because you don't want to cook two meals. Do you at least work as hard as he does? I am going to make my husband his favorite dinner tonight just to show him how much I appreciate him.

I just don't understand women, but I do understand why the divorce rate is so high...
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Sorry to but in on your post but i need help asap. Im from the uk and would really love for someone to help me out with what types of food i can buy to hit my macros. I'm really struggling with this i I'm 17 and I'm a noob but really want to loose weight but I'm struggling to get near by macros. I also want to have verity because i found out the hard way that rice and chicken 2 a day every day gets old. Please help.
    for got to mention my macros are Carbs / Day 152.0 g, Fat / Day 54.0 g and Protein / Day 229.0 g

Please go to http://www.sparkteens.com/ and set up an account there. MFP is for 18 + only and no one can give you any advice besides what I just did because of it.

Good luck and I hope you attain your goals at Sparkteens.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ....I got him to compromise on the noodles so now we only eat veggie noodles.

Yuck.

That right there is grounds for divorce.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Ok so my wonderful husband has a super high metabolism & can eat anything without gaining weight.

This is nonsense. It is what overweight people say when they look at someone of a healthy weight munching on a burger.

People who can eat anything without gaining weight - these people dont exist.

Yes they do exist.............
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I too am blessed with an active husband who could happily eat a quarter-cow and a loaf of bread smothered in butter at a sitting. We've had good luck finding Cooking Light (CookingLight.com) versions of comfort foods we both love without all the fat and calories but with most of the yum factor. He gets bigger portions and more bread. I get salads the size of mixing bowls and the lion's share of the veggies. Lots of dishes to wash, but we're both content. And sshhh... but he's actually losing some weight himself.

Thank you for recognizing why your husband can eat more food and not gain weight instead of claiming he just has a better/faster metabolism. And great ideas for a good compromise too.

He's also 8 inches taller than I am and male. Even without the active job, he'd be able to eat a lot more than I can and maintain his weight.

However, until a few years ago, I was able to eat almost as much as he could and not gain--and I'm active, but not exceptionally so. No idea why, but I don't like that it's changed. Not one bit!
  • kittykat1994
    kittykat1994 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    In reply to the OP, my partner also eats rubbish and I eat healthier.

I cook two separate meals. I always have healthy and he likes his frozen foods so I just stick it in the oven for him. It's easy and no big deal really.

Just because your a couple, doesn't mean you have to eat the same food. I won't force my partner to eat what he doesn't want to. If he wants to eat junk, I leave him to it. He's not a child.
  • jf1324
    Options
    o
  • jf1324
    Options

Please go to http://www.sparkteens.com/ and set up an account there. MFP is for 18 + only and no one can give you any advice besides what I just did because of it.

Good luck and I hope you attain your goals at Sparkteens.

I've only got like a month and a bit till I'm 18 so don't see the point
  • iemcanadian
    Options
    I am forever shocked at how picky husbands seem to be. I fully appreciate that he shouldn't have to change his entire diet because you do, but some of this advice is shocking to me! "Never say healthy, hide veggies in lasagna." That is how you treat a bratty four-year-old. He may have preferences, we all do, but you shouldn't have to trick or coddle a grown man like that...my goodness. He's an adult.

Either way if he is supportive of your endeavors, awesome! I am also in the boat with many commenters that you'd be best to make one entree and then a few sides. I don't know why his diet should be prioritized over yours (according to many commenters), but I don't think yours should be, either. What I do often is just put my entree (whatever it is - steak, chicken, lasagna, etc) on top of a giant pile of salad veggies. Then he can have his bread and sides like normal., and you guys can have a lovely meal together. I find veggie sides (roasted veg, salad, etc) really quick to whip up so it won't be much extra to do for you, and you can just make his sides in smaller portions.

Good luck OP!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Ok so my wonderful husband has a super high metabolism & can eat anything without gaining weight.

This is nonsense. It is what overweight people say when they look at someone of a healthy weight munching on a burger.

Not true. I have a husband is the same way..

And does he also live in Denialland?
  • eldamiano
    Options
    You didn't say that people only had to sit on the couch stuffing themselves.

As I said above, but I'll explain a little further...I do have a couple friends in their 30's and 40's and they eat/drink WHATEVER they want. They are not gaining. It can happen. They go to work, they eat at home or with friends out. They drink beer, a couple of them lots of it. They don't do any intended exercise. They don't go to gyms, they don't workout in their homes, they just live.

So scientific/medial theory/proof vs this poster's insistance that his mate can eat whatever he want and not put on weight, even though he (probably) doesnt follow them round 24/7 to carry out all round surveillance on their lifestyles.

What was that word beginning with bull that you used before?
  • eldamiano
    Options

Yes they do exist.............

In the land of the fairies yes. On planet Earth, however, they put on weight.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If he doesnt like it he can cook his own food.... just because he doesnt want to improve his life doesnt mean you need to sacrifice.
    So she doesn't have to sacrifice because he doesn't want to change, but he does have to sacrifice because she wants to change?

Hypocrite much?
  • ebrggqe
    ebrggqe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just found this article:
    http://www.coachcalorie.com/how-to-eat-healthy-when-your-spouse-doesnt-want-to/
    I liked it...

I do think that if you show him your improvement eating healthy food, he will start wondering if he should also make a change...

Also, if he is not eating healthy and you both go to the doctor for a health check up, it will show up...
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    If he doesnt like it he can cook his own food.... just because he doesnt want to improve his life doesnt mean you need to sacrifice.
    So she doesn't have to sacrifice because he doesn't want to change, but he does have to sacrifice because she wants to change?

Hypocrite much?

I'm not sure if i would say hypocrite, but to me if I had a spouse that was such a picky eater, i'd make him make his own food, or eat what I put out. I dont have the energy to take care of picky eater/babyish behavior. and a grown adult SHOULD be able to make thier own food. Where in the rule book does it say I MUST cook for my spouse and go out of my way to cater to him as a picky eater.