This is why people can't eat all of their calories...

Options
15678911»

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Do these people who can't eat enough not like avocados and nut butters? Not together obviously, but come on people! It's healthy, it's good for you and it packs a nutrient dense high calorie punch!

I'll admit that I was afraid of avocado for a very long time. Those little fruits are intimidating and I had no idea how to choose one at the grocery store. I finally had to google "how to choose an avocado" to get over my fears!
    Skeered!
    a5dRGLg_700b.jpg
  • ecrtne
    ecrtne Posts: 7
    Options
    I find it extremely easy to hit my Calorie goal.....by dinner I am usually going over. If I workout that day it gives me more calories and then I psychologically mess with myself think I should eat more.
  • cmwc123
    cmwc123 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Id be interested in seeing your diary. Some days I have trouble eating enough without eating something bad for me.
    [/quote]

Nothing is bad for you if you can make it fit in your calorie and macronutrient allowance. You can have a hot fudge sundae or pizza or whatever, as long as you are in your calorie range, and getting all your other nutriets, i.e. protein, carbs, fiber, fat, etc.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    The problem lies with "fear" of high calorie food. It's easy getting to any calorie range one wants to. They just need to figure out what foods/drinks will get them there.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Pretty good logic.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I found it hard meeting 1,200-1,500 a day (when I was at a deficit, still losing weight). But that was because I'd eat filling foods. Peanut butter and stuff, you know.

At maintenance, I find I almost always *naturally* consume about 1,700-2,000 a day. Just eating until I'm full. Some days, i don't even count my calories on MFP until the end of the day and STILL find that I hit right around 1,700-2,000. This is while eating healthy sometimes, and nothing but 'junk' other times (I eat what I can afford. we are on a ramen and oatmeal budget these days).
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Id be interested in seeing your diary. Some days I have trouble eating enough without eating something bad for me.

That will change when you get closer to your goal. I started at @230 and normally I always had something bad every day, sometimes more! Unfortunately when you only have 1700 calories or less you can't eat bad stuff much anymore :( I envy people with normal metabolisms who can still eat 'desert' every day and lose weight.

Really?

I am on maintenance on 1700 calories and I don't exercise that much.
    Can still fit in small portions of 'bad things' like chips, crisps, biscuits, ice cream, chocolate..
    Not all of them every day of course and not in large amounts - but they do fit, believe me.

We have very different goals which is clear by your diary. I need minimum 110 g of protein / day and less than 200 carbs. I didn't see that once in 2 weeks from what you logged. There's nothing wrong with your plan though I couldn't function on it. So yes, I suppose if I wanted to throw my macros out the window then I "could" afford to eat a bunch of crap... I suppose I should have clarified that.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options

This is why everyone is always wondering why they can't eat the amount of calories they are supposed to. It's easy to eat 1000 calories in a day, its easy to eat 3000 calories in a day. It is not east to eat 2000 calories in a day.

I find it easy to eat 2000 calories in a day. About 1750 in breakfast lunch and dinner, with a bowl of ice cream on top.

04EWf53.gif I have no problem keeping up with my 1600 calories!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options

That will change when you get closer to your goal. I started at @230 and normally I always had something bad every day, sometimes more! Unfortunately when you only have 1700 calories or less you can't eat bad stuff much anymore :( I envy people with normal metabolisms who can still eat 'desert' every day and lose weight.

Really?

I am on maintenance on 1700 calories and I don't exercise that much.
    Can still fit in small portions of 'bad things' like chips, crisps, biscuits, ice cream, chocolate..
    Not all of them every day of course and not in large amounts - but they do fit, believe me.

We have very different goals which is clear by your diary. I need minimum 110 g of protein / day and less than 200 carbs. I didn't see that once in 2 weeks from what you logged. There's nothing wrong with your plan though I couldn't function on it. So yes, I suppose if I wanted to throw my macros out the window then I "could" afford to eat a bunch of crap... I suppose I should have clarified that.

Hmmm, I wouldn't really say I eat a 'bunch of crap' - but yes, small amounts of above treat foods.

I don't know what your goal is - mine was to lose 10kg, which I have done.

anyway, my point wasn't to show my diary as a pedestal of healthy eating (or really, to show my diary at all) - just to point out 1700 calories does leave room for small amounts of treats.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    The problem lies with "fear" of high calorie food. It's easy getting to any calorie range one wants to. They just need to figure out what foods/drinks will get them there.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This...At least it was my case...if I have a number of calories to hit...I am always in fear of "going over" so I chose the other end, rather staying under...I am hungry and want to eat more but the fear takes over everything...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP my diary is open so feel free to take a look ..

I am on a cut right now and am eating about 2150 to 2200 a day, and I could easily eat a lot more then that …

As others have said, there is no "bad" food there is just food that you use for energy.

Tonight, I am making pizza on the grill which is a lot of my calories, so I will have a smaller breakfast and lunch …you need to learn moderation and that it is OK to fit the foods that you like into your day, and it is occasionally ok to go over on your calorie limit.

I can eat a crap ton of food in one sitting by myself too = one large pizza by myself, can easily eat a double cheeseburger and fries, etc…I have just learned how to moderate that…and/or if I do do that, I log it and deal with it, or i just make room to fit it into my day..

didn't you also post a thread about the "hypothetical 400 calorie a day deficit" or some nonsense like that…?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's because people go to extremes and cut calorie-dense foods out of their diets completely.
    That, or they enjoy humble-bragging :P

Just some food for thought tho, like I was saying. It can be difficult to make a small portion of a calorie dense food without wasting the rest of what you bought. Sometimes its easier and more cost effective to cut it out completely, not because you want to, but because its more practical, like my "exactly 9 french fries" example.

I guess I am the only one on the thread that is in the same boat. I understand not cutting out all bad food but I do find it difficult to eat healthfully and fill up all the calories without spending a ton! And by eating healthfully, I mean fitting in my macros, not banning ice cream or fat.

I'm not looking for anyone to analyze my diary or macros...just saying I understand you, OP. It's easy to budget in 1000 calories worth of food, it's easy to hit 3000 by going out to eat all the time...but hitting that magic number in the middle without too little protein or too many carbs...it is tough. Not impossible, just tough.

once you start to do it consistently it is really rather easy ….
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    it is NOT okay to go out at 8 or 9 oclock at night and buy yourself a milkshake full of sugars, or even worse, synthetic sugars and then go to bed a couple of hours later. If you think that's okay, Im not sure what to tell you.

Nope...you don't demonize food AT ALLLLL...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    it is NOT okay to go out at 8 or 9 oclock at night and buy yourself a milkshake full of sugars, or even worse, synthetic sugars and then go to bed a couple of hours later. If you think that's okay, Im not sure what to tell you.

lol..
    my nightly ice cream is usually between 8 and 9 pm, does this mean all my gainz are going to go away?
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I dont quite understand the O.P.'s post. I read it two times. I think that he might be complaining about not being able to cook or prepare certain amounts of food because he thinks he MUST cook a pound of chicken at one time and a whole can of beans at one time. is that it?

if so, i find thats not necessarily so. If someone wants to cook a whole chicken, then they don't have to eat it all at once. they could put 3 portions in baggies, put in fridge, then take as needed.

or maybe I misunderstood, what was he trying to say in his OP?
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options

I eat my biggest meal in the evening and lose weight.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    people put mustard on baked potatoes? ::mind blown::
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    Fast Food makes it easy to go over normal calories you should have! The extra sodas, beers, and sugars are no good.

Beer is no good???

OMG what a thing to say, there is no need to insult beer.

I'm wondering which fast food joint is serving beer; the Wendy's around here has yet to install a kegerator.

McDonalds in Malta serve beer, Cyprus maybe too
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options

lol..
    my nightly ice cream is usually between 8 and 9 pm, does this mean all my gainz are going to go away?

OMGZ! You will become fat and squooshy!!! :)