This is why people can't eat all of their calories...

Options
I have noticed a lot of folks are saying they have trouble eating low amounts of calories required of their diet structure. At first glance, this doesn't make a lick of sense. How in the world could someone end up so fat, usually eating 2 meals and snacking late at night, and then claim they aren't capable of eating a much smaller amount while enjoying 3 meals a day plus a snack? How is that possible? They're lying! They must be!

Not exactly. The original problem, becoming fat, is that you didn't keep up with your calories to begin with. You had no idea what was going into your body but now it is painfully obvious that it was to much. Now you are trying to eat healthy. Grilled meats instead of fried, wheat breads (and a lot less of it), veggies, rather than mac and cheese, that sort of thing. The biggest thing is that you've also kicked the soft drinks, and worst of all, sweet tea (the sweet, sweet nectar of the gods) That's where all of the calories went.

I'm a pretty big guy. I was 260 when I started and I am still quite a bit over weight at 207 and I can "throweth tha **** down" on an all-you-can-eat. But its all in the way you arrange it. Yes, I can eat 16oz of chicken, an entire can of green beans, and a large potato with deli mustard and greek yogurt for dinner, but who does that? And more over, who wants to consistently spend the money on that? When you cut out the unhealthy foods, the high calorie dishes are replaced with low calorie dishes. It's not practical or cost effect to make a half a cup of mac and cheese or exactly 9 french fries. When I make dinner I grill a big piece of chicken, I eat a half a can of green beans (as my wife eats the other half) and a potato with greek yogurt and deli mustard, sometimes even cheese. After all that, my whole meal was 500-700 calories. Meaning I would have had to have eatin that or more for breakfast and lunch, again. who does that, and more over, who can afford to do that daily?

This is why everyone is always wondering why they can't eat the amount of calories they are supposed to. It's easy to eat 1000 calories in a day, its easy to eat 3000 calories in a day. It is not east to eat 2000 calories in a day.

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

This is why everyone is always wondering why they can't eat the amount of calories they are supposed to. It's easy to eat 1000 calories in a day, its easy to eat 3000 calories in a day. It is not east to eat 2000 calories in a day.

I find it easy to eat 2000 calories in a day. About 1750 in breakfast lunch and dinner, with a bowl of ice cream on top.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    When I make dinner I grill a big piece of chicken, I eat a half a can of green beans (as my wife eats the other half) and a potato with greek yogurt and deli mustard, sometimes even cheese. After all that, my whole meal was 500-700 calories. Meaning I would have had to have eatin that or more for breakfast and lunch, again. who does that, and more over, who can afford to do that daily?

For so few calories I'm guessing there is very little fat in your meal. This is often the problem when people say they can't eat all their calories. They've cut fat too low. Fat is good for you, in moderation, of course.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Thought it was because people chose to eat high volume low calorie foods for every meal.
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options

I find it easy to eat 2000 calories in a day. About 1750 in breakfast lunch and dinner, with a bowl of ice cream on top.

Id be interested in seeing your diary. Some days I have trouble eating enough without eating something bad for me.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's because people go to extremes and cut calorie-dense foods out of their diets completely.
    That, or they enjoy humble-bragging :P
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I eat around 2,000 calories on weekdays (more on weekends, I'm maintaining) and I've got no problem. Diary's open.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    No they say that because they think they have to cut out all "bad" food and they don't.

I can easily eat a good 800 calories for breakfast and that is a "normal" breakfast...2 eggs, bacon, toast with butter and hashbrowns and a glass of milk with coffee with sugar and cream.

But instead of that these people choose egg whites, no butter, no bacon, make an omlette with a tonne of veggies and non fat cheese...black coffee...

Which is a fine breakfast but you don't have to eat like that...

As well you always see in their diaries...Weight watchers smart ones, diet this, non fat this not fat that...etc...

And they are at 1000 calories and "full" but that is ot a good indicator of what the body needs.
  • Iknowsaur
    Options

Id be interested in seeing your diary. Some days I have trouble eating enough without eating something bad for me.

What is "bad"?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

And there's your ultimate mistake.

Nothing is truly bad for you. Eat the ice cream, like she does. If you're really avoiding everything you think is "bad", I have serious doubts your macros are as balanced as they should be.
  • jdb3388
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's because people go to extremes and cut calorie-dense foods out of their diets completely.

Just some food for thought tho, like I was saying. It can be difficult to make a small portion of a calorie dense food without wasting the rest of what you bought. Sometimes its easier and more cost effective to cut it out completely, not because you want to, but because its more practical, like my "exactly 9 french fries" example.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I rest my case...I eat on average 1700 a day easy...and could eat more I know I could...can't wait to get to maintenance...
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Just some food for thought tho, like I was saying. It can be difficult to make a small portion of a calorie dense food without wasting the rest of what you bought. Sometimes its easier and more cost effective to cut it out completely, not because you want to, but because its more practical, like my "exactly 9 french fries" example.

Peanut butter. Or peanuts, if you want to avoid the added sugar. Calorie-dense and "healthy."
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Um... what did I just read?
  • jdb3388
    Options

And there's your ultimate mistake.

Nothing is truly bad for you. Eat the ice cream, like she does. If you're really avoiding everything you think is "bad", I have serious doubts your macros are as balanced as they should be.

It's consistency though. I don't ever demonize food, but I also am not going to eat something unhealthy every day.
  • Iknowsaur
    Options

Or you could just eat a normal amount of french fries and plan around it. A medium Mcdonald's french friends has 380 calories, and while there isn't much nutritional value in it, 380 calories isn't a crazy number to fit into your day.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options

Well, I don't get my calories from fast food french fries (and if I did, I'd eat 'em all and work it in). You could also split them with your wife. No wasting necessary.

It is not hard at all to weigh out a portion of peanut butter, almonds, chocolate chips, ice cream, chips, cheese, avocado or any of the number of other calorie-dense foods I eat on a regular basis. The remaining portions are not wasted because I'll get to them later :)

My usually day is 500-600 calories a pop for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and a couple 100-300 calorie snacks. Easy peasy.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    It's easy to eat 1000 calories in a day

False
    Its easy to eat 3000 calories in a day.

True
    It is not east (sic) to eat 2000 calories in a day.

Only true if I'm really depressed or stressed out. Otherwise, piece of cake.

Nobody said you had to eat 2000 calories of chicken and green beans. Use your imagination. Obviously with that hat, you must have one.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    What is "unhealthy" about calorie-dense foods?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

There is no bad food, only bad owners. Stop demonizing food and I bet you can reach your calorie goals. You don't need to eat diet food, or low calorie food.

This is a typical day:

Breakfast:
    coffee with cream & sugar
    cereal & milk
    OR
    greek yogurt and a piece of fruit
    OR
    eggs & toast with butter (eggs cooked in olive oil or butter)

Lunch:
    Pita stuffed with grilled chicken, raw spinach, tomato, red pepper, cucumber, black olives & tatziki sauce
    OR
    Wendy's homestyle chicken sandwich
    OR
    Wendy's large chili & crackers

Dinner:
    Meat or fish, side dish & veggies or a salad. Butter on the veggies. If side dish is potatoes, then sometimes gravy.
    OR spaghetti & meatballs
    OR Chinese takeout

Dessert: Ice cream (several times a week anyway.)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. Right now I'm eating around 3000, but I'm typically closer to 2000. It's just practice. After a couple of months, it'll be as easy to plan a meal within your calories as it is to do 1000/3000 now.