This is why people can't eat all of their calories...

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

This is why everyone is always wondering why they can't eat the amount of calories they are supposed to. It's easy to eat 1000 calories in a day, its easy to eat 3000 calories in a day. It is not east to eat 2000 calories in a day.

I find it easy to eat 2000 calories in a day. About 1750 in breakfast lunch and dinner, with a bowl of ice cream on top.

Id be interested in seeing your diary. Some days I have trouble eating enough without eating something bad for me.
    The things you think are bad for you are only bad for you when they are not part of a balanced diet.
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have read your post three times and with all due respect, I have no idea what you are talking about, except that I understand that you cut out soft drinks, sweet tea and eat beans from a can and put yogurt on your potato. Those are all things to congratulate you for. Does the rest of what you said apply to all of us ? I don't think so.....

I don't think you understand the art of an example.

Possibly, but what example would that be ?

You are not alone. I can't figure out the meaning or purpose of the OP either. That being said, my average daily calorie intake for the last 7 days was 1935cals/day. Not difficult at all. Oh, yeah, and I lost a lb in the process.

What can't you understand? It's in English, there are few(if any) grammatical errors. You might disagree, and you might be trying to tell everyone you disagree by being an *kitten* hat about it, but if you just don't understand what I'm trying to communicate then I think there's a deeper problem, and it's not on my end.

That being said, Yes, anyone can eat and add it all up and then say "oh no im 400 calories short" and go buy a milkshake. That's not okay. Planning for exactly 2000 is difficult for all of the reasons I have already said.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

This is why everyone is always wondering why they can't eat the amount of calories they are supposed to. It's easy to eat 1000 calories in a day, its easy to eat 3000 calories in a day. It is not east to eat 2000 calories in a day.

I find it easy to eat 2000 calories in a day. About 1750 in breakfast lunch and dinner, with a bowl of ice cream on top.

Id be interested in seeing your diary. Some days I have trouble eating enough without eating something bad for me.
    The things you think are bad for you are only bad for you when they are not part of a balanced diet.

^^^ What I meant - said better.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Well after reading many of the comments I must say I am in a minority agreeing with you here. Although I don't think for myself 'wasting food' is a problem for me, nor do I refuse to eat unhealthy food. I do have trouble sometimes eating my allotted calories especially eating back exercise ones. My reasons why though:

A) The more intense my exercise on a particular day, the less hungry I feel.
    B) I prefer to work out on an empty stomach, and because of this I do not eat anything for breakfast and have a light lunch if I plan another workout in the afternoon. This is not for any particular 'fasted workout' nonsense it is simply because I do not like to feel bloated/full/nauseous while doing it.
    C)I FEEL better eating whole foods and lately have been resorting to eating processed items simply to at least reach acceptable caloric intake and feel like crap. Not wanting to eat the 'unhealthy' foods is a lot more than calories and macros. Sodium and other preservers as well as whatever other filth they add to processed food can do a lot of harm to certain peoples systems.
    D) Most importantly I've worked very hard to eat when I am hungry and not eat when I am not hungry. If I force myself a second chicken breast or some almonds just to fill a goal how long till I am able to mindlessly comfort eat because I have again gotten used to eating any time.

and the bolded item might just be the issue depending on where your calories are...

I had a day here in the last couple of weeks where on a Sunday I had a late breakfast...not hungry for lunch, got busy and had an early dinner...huge slice of homemade pizza...put me at 995 calories..wasn't hungry but I know better so I ate my greek yogurt and my evening chocolate...

I paid for 3 days...my workouts suffered...eating when hungry is not the best indicator of what the body needs...if you are under your goals you will have issues...for me it took one day...just one..
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Well after reading many of the comments I must say I am in a minority agreeing with you here. Although I don't think for myself 'wasting food' is a problem for me, nor do I refuse to eat unhealthy food. I do have trouble sometimes eating my allotted calories especially eating back exercise ones. My reasons why though:

Calculate TDEE - % goal instead then you don't "eat more for exercise"
  • jdb3388
    Options
    hmm really...interesting.

I could prelog my exercise too if I wanted...M/W/F SL 5x5 depending on what workout 75-90mins the only thing I can't guarantee is rep success...

Tu/Thur HIIT typically out of the same set of my favorite routines all pretty much the same time frame.

My wife and I walk every day around a trail near our house. How fast and how far we go solely depends on what she feels like doing. That's why it is a little more difficult for me.
  • TR0berts
    Options

What can't you understand? It's in English, there are few(if any) grammatical errors. You might disagree, and you might be trying to tell everyone you disagree by being an *kitten* hat about it, but if you just don't understand what I'm trying to communicate then I think there's a deeper problem, and it's not on my end.

That being said, Yes, anyone can eat and add it all up and then say "oh no im 400 calories short" and go buy a milkshake. That's not okay. Planning for exactly 2000 is difficult for all of the reasons I have already said.

It doesn't make sense because of the bolded. If you truly plan, it's easy. It only becomes difficult if you're winging it.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I have read your post three times and with all due respect, I have no idea what you are talking about, except that I understand that you cut out soft drinks, sweet tea and eat beans from a can and put yogurt on your potato. Those are all things to congratulate you for. Does the rest of what you said apply to all of us ? I don't think so.....

You are not alone. I can't figure out the meaning or purpose of the OP either. That being said, my average daily calorie intake for the last 7 days was 1935cals/day. Not difficult at all. Oh, yeah, and I lost a lb in the process.

Three meals of 500 calories each and two 250 calorie snacks..... really it isn't difficult.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

It doesn't make sense because of the bolded. If you truly plan, it's easy. It only becomes difficult if you're winging it.

Exactly and there is nothing wrong with getting a milkshake to make up the differences...
  • jdb3388
    Options

You would think that, but it isn't. It's hard to come up with a meal full of things that go together and ad up to the right amount of calories without having an additional side, which costs more money.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options

Why isn't that okay?
    That's absolutely okay, especially if it fits into someones macros as well as their calories.
  • TR0berts
    Options

You would think that, but it isn't. It's hard to come up with a meal full of things that go together and ad up to the right amount of calories without having an additional side, which costs more money.

People here on MFP do it ALL THE TIME.
  • jdb3388
    Options
    it is NOT okay to go out at 8 or 9 oclock at night and buy yourself a milkshake full of sugars, or even worse, synthetic sugars and then go to bed a couple of hours later. If you think that's okay, Im not sure what to tell you.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options

A) The more intense my exercise on a particular day, the less hungry I feel.
    B) I prefer to work out on an empty stomach, and because of this I do not eat anything for breakfast and have a light lunch if I plan another workout in the afternoon. This is not for any particular 'fasted workout' nonsense it is simply because I do not like to feel bloated/full/nauseous while doing it.
    C)I FEEL better eating whole foods and lately have been resorting to eating processed items simply to at least reach acceptable caloric intake and feel like crap. Not wanting to eat the 'unhealthy' foods is a lot more than calories and macros. Sodium and other preservers as well as whatever other filth they add to processed food can do a lot of harm to certain peoples systems.
    D) Most importantly I've worked very hard to eat when I am hungry and not eat when I am not hungry. If I force myself a second chicken breast or some almonds just to fill a goal how long till I am able to mindlessly comfort eat because I have again gotten used to eating any time.

and the bolded item might just be the issue depending on where your calories are...

I had a day here in the last couple of weeks where on a Sunday I had a late breakfast...not hungry for lunch, got busy and had an early dinner...huge slice of homemade pizza...put me at 995 calories..wasn't hungry but I know better so I ate my greek yogurt and my evening chocolate...

I paid for 3 days...my workouts suffered...eating when hungry is not the best indicator of what the body needs...if you are under your goals you will have issues...for me it took one day...just one..

Honestly I would agree with you there if I did see any diminished results from only fueling my body when hungry, but I don't. I am losing weight at a rather steady pace but as I am around the 10 last lbs I see that getting a lot less linear which is fine by me and my workouts do not suffer at all. I think it all boils down to nutrition and over all health not being something you can put a "one way fits all" label.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

That's why I plan the milkshake from the get go.

My day is planned like this: First meal->dessert->dinner-> fill in snacks as needed to hit protein/fat/anything else I might feel like hitting. Easy Peasy
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    it is NOT okay to go out at 8 or 9 oclock at night and buy yourself a milkshake full of sugars, or even worse, synthetic sugars and then go to bed a couple of hours later. If you think that's okay, Im not sure what to tell you.

That's perfectly okay.
    First of all, when you eat has nothing to do with anything. That's all hogwash.
    And second of all, what's so bad about sugar? Nothing. Everything is bad in excess, but one milkshake isn't going to do anyone harm. And if someone enjoys sweeteners as opposed to sugar, that's their right. I'm not a huge fan of chemical sweeteners, but I'm not afraid of them.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

And there's your ultimate mistake.

Nothing is truly bad for you. Eat the ice cream, like she does. If you're really avoiding everything you think is "bad", I have serious doubts your macros are as balanced as they should be.

It's consistency though. I don't ever demonize food, but I also am not going to eat something unhealthy every day.

Ice cream is not unhealthy.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Sorry that I don't understand.

My dinner tonight roasted chicken with veggies and FF with gravy...meal last night Tortelinni with sauce and shrimp...

If I had an extra 300 calories I would have had an extra slice of bread with my pasta...tonight I would have a few more fries and toaster strudel for dessert...or I would have had two eggs instead of 1egg and 1 egg white...
  • JulsiePie
    JulsiePie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I just started 15 days ago and have no problem eating my calories, but that's just me.....I love food....probably why I got to 293 pounds!

But I have kept full fat things in my new lifestyle....cheese, whole eggs, real butter, and evoo....mmmmmm....yummy!

But to each their own!