This is why people can't eat all of their calories...

Options

Replies

• jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Red wine.

Now THERE's a good idea...
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

This is why everyone is always wondering why they can't eat the amount of calories they are supposed to. It's easy to eat 1000 calories in a day, its easy to eat 3000 calories in a day. It is not east to eat 2000 calories in a day.

I find it easy to eat 2000 calories in a day. About 1750 in breakfast lunch and dinner, with a bowl of ice cream on top.

Id be interested in seeing your diary. Some days I have trouble eating enough without eating something bad for me.

And there's your ultimate mistake.

Nothing is truly bad for you. Eat the ice cream, like she does. If you're really avoiding everything you think is "bad", I have serious doubts your macros are as balanced as they should be.

It's consistency though. I don't ever demonize food, but I also am not going to eat something unhealthy every day.

The bolded is a direct contradiction.

That is not what demonizing food means. sir. Demonizing food means that there are certain foods claimed you should NEVER eat. I don't do that. Im just not going to eat something loaded with sugar every day. That's part of how I got this way. I eat dessert, occasionally. And that's how it should be.

It's exactly what it means. Stop thinking in terms of "healthy" and "unhealthy." Figure out how to fit things into your overall diet.

You "got this way" because you overate. Period.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    That is not what demonizing food means. sir. Demonizing food means that there are certain foods claimed you should NEVER eat. I don't do that. Im just not going to eat something loaded with sugar every day. That's part of how I got this way. I eat dessert, occasionally. And that's how it should be.

I think I understand where you're coming from. It's a suggestion I've told a lot of my very obese friends when they express frustration over their size, but tell me they don't have the discipline to count calories. I tell them "If all you're able to do is cut out high fructose corn syrup and added sugars completely from your diet, then you will have a hard time sustaining morbid obesity unless you are eating non-stop all day."
  • RunBakeLove
    RunBakeLove Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's because people go to extremes and cut calorie-dense foods out of their diets completely.
    That, or they enjoy humble-bragging :P

Just some food for thought tho, like I was saying. It can be difficult to make a small portion of a calorie dense food without wasting the rest of what you bought. Sometimes its easier and more cost effective to cut it out completely, not because you want to, but because its more practical, like my "exactly 9 french fries" example.

I guess I am the only one on the thread that is in the same boat. I understand not cutting out all bad food but I do find it difficult to eat healthfully and fill up all the calories without spending a ton! And by eating healthfully, I mean fitting in my macros, not banning ice cream or fat.

I'm not looking for anyone to analyze my diary or macros...just saying I understand you, OP. It's easy to budget in 1000 calories worth of food, it's easy to hit 3000 by going out to eat all the time...but hitting that magic number in the middle without too little protein or too many carbs...it is tough. Not impossible, just tough.
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Red wine.

Now THERE's a good idea...

I'm here to help.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Well that is where the problem lies.

I eat ice cream and some cookies just about every night. No reason not to. I eat my chicken and my fish and my veggies and sometimes I eve have some fruit. And then I eat some ice cream.

I like you. :flowerforyou:
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    2000 calories is easy. I eat that every day. Even when I'm not technically counting, it would end up right around 2000 if I were to go back and count.

3000 is also really easy.

1000 calories would leave me filled with rage and wanting to gnaw on an arm. Even if all 1000 calories were kale.
  • jdb3388
    Options
    2000 calories is easy. I eat that every day. Even when I'm not technically counting, it would end up right around 2000 if I were to go back and count.

3000 is also really easy.

1000 calories would leave me filled with rage and wanting to gnaw on an arm. Even if all 1000 calories were kale.

I can pretty much go 3 or 4 days without eating. Not that I would ever do that on purpose, I'm just saying I could if I were stuck somewhere without food.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Also...why would you evah cut out sweet tea? Are you mad? Just go half and half.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have no problem making whatever my net calorie goal - and I eat pretty lean at breakfast and lunch.

Yet almost everyday I have the following:

1. my coffee with cream and sugar
    2. a glass or two of red wine

and some days I even allow for chocolate or ice cream or other treat.

If I make too much food for dinner (I cook for a family so there is no exact portions and I am not measuring out dry pasta to boil separately when I am cooking for 5-7 people on any given night) - then I have a great lunch the next day.

I cook it - I measure it - I eat it and log it. even with a low calorie goal - I get everything I want (and sometimes go slightly over - so what).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's because people go to extremes and cut calorie-dense foods out of their diets completely.

Just some food for thought tho, like I was saying. It can be difficult to make a small portion of a calorie dense food without wasting the rest of what you bought. Sometimes its easier and more cost effective to cut it out completely, not because you want to, but because its more practical, like my "exactly 9 french fries" example.

I guess I am the only one on the thread that is in the same boat. I understand not cutting out all bad food but I do find it difficult to eat healthfully and fill up all the calories without spending a ton! And by eating healthfully, I mean fitting in my macros, not banning ice cream or fat.

I'm not looking for anyone to analyze my diary or macros...just saying I understand you, OP. It's easy to budget in 1000 calories worth of food, it's easy to hit 3000 by going out to eat all the time...but hitting that magic number in the middle without too little protein or too many carbs...it is tough.

I guess this is why I prelog my food. It does take some extra thought perhaps to hit protien goals and fat goals but after about a week it's easy...I just look at my phone app and the graphs and look at the days I did good and see how I did it.

I now prelog 2-3 days in advance always logging my treats in first...hehe...I am always pretty close to my macro goals now unless I don't prelog then it's crap...
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I have read your post three times and with all due respect, I have no idea what you are talking about, except that I understand that you cut out soft drinks, sweet tea and eat beans from a can and put yogurt on your potato. Those are all things to congratulate you for. Does the rest of what you said apply to all of us ? I don't think so.....

I don't think you understand the art of an example.

Possibly, but what example would that be ?
  • jdb3388
    Options

I'm not looking for anyone to analyze my diary or macros...just saying I understand you, OP. It's easy to budget in 1000 calories worth of food, it's easy to hit 3000 by going out to eat all the time...but hitting that magic number in the middle without too little protein or too many carbs...it is tough.

I guess this is why I prelog my food. It does take some extra thought perhaps to hit protien goals and fat goals but after about a week it's easy...I just look at my phone app and the graphs and look at the days I did good and see how I did it.

I now prelog 2-3 days in advance always logging my treats in first...hehe...I am always pretty close to my macro goals now unless I don't prelog then it's crap...

I have started pre-logging and it has helped me plan a good bit, still tough to be exact tho. Especially since it's more difficult to pre log exercise.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    ETA: DP

*giggles*

I'll see myself out.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I eat 2000 calories a day and don't find it challenging.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It's easy to eat 1000 calories a day? On what planet?
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Well after reading many of the comments I must say I am in a minority agreeing with you here. Although I don't think for myself 'wasting food' is a problem for me, nor do I refuse to eat unhealthy food. I do have trouble sometimes eating my allotted calories especially eating back exercise ones. My reasons why though:

A) The more intense my exercise on a particular day, the less hungry I feel.
    B) I prefer to work out on an empty stomach, and because of this I do not eat anything for breakfast and have a light lunch if I plan another workout in the afternoon. This is not for any particular 'fasted workout' nonsense it is simply because I do not like to feel bloated/full/nauseous while doing it.
    C)I FEEL better eating whole foods and lately have been resorting to eating processed items simply to at least reach acceptable caloric intake and feel like crap. Not wanting to eat the 'unhealthy' foods is a lot more than calories and macros. Sodium and other preservers as well as whatever other filth they add to processed food can do a lot of harm to certain peoples systems.
    D) Most importantly I've worked very hard to eat when I am hungry and not eat when I am not hungry. If I force myself a second chicken breast or some almonds just to fill a goal how long till I am able to mindlessly comfort eat because I have again gotten used to eating any time.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

This is why everyone is always wondering why they can't eat the amount of calories they are supposed to. It's easy to eat 1000 calories in a day, its easy to eat 3000 calories in a day. It is not east to eat 2000 calories in a day.

I find it easy to eat 2000 calories in a day. About 1750 in breakfast lunch and dinner, with a bowl of ice cream on top.

Id be interested in seeing your diary. Some days I have trouble eating enough without eating something bad for me.

What is bad for you?
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I have read your post three times and with all due respect, I have no idea what you are talking about, except that I understand that you cut out soft drinks, sweet tea and eat beans from a can and put yogurt on your potato. Those are all things to congratulate you for. Does the rest of what you said apply to all of us ? I don't think so.....

I don't think you understand the art of an example.

Possibly, but what example would that be ?

You are not alone. I can't figure out the meaning or purpose of the OP either. That being said, my average daily calorie intake for the last 7 days was 1935cals/day. Not difficult at all. Oh, yeah, and I lost a lb in the process.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I have started pre-logging and it has helped me plan a good bit, still tough to be exact tho. Especially since it's more difficult to pre log exercise.

hmm really...interesting.

I could prelog my exercise too if I wanted...M/W/F SL 5x5 depending on what workout 75-90mins the only thing I can't guarantee is rep success...

Tu/Thur HIIT typically out of the same set of my favorite routines all pretty much the same time frame.