This is why people can't eat all of their calories...

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Fast Food makes it easy to go over normal calories you should have! The extra sodas, beers, and sugars are no good.

Beer is no good???

OMG what a thing to say, there is no need to insult beer.
    I'm wondering which fast food joint is serving beer; the Wendy's around here has yet to install a kegerator.

Starbucks is starting to sell wine and beer in the evenings >>

What about milkshakes at 8-9pm?

What if they are boozy milkshakes? What then?

add in the irish cream and you have a winner...

AND BEER!!!

img_5652.jpg
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

What about milkshakes at 8-9pm?

Better be careful with those milkshakes. I've heard they bring all the boys to the yard.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I don't eat in a vacuum.......I don't look up from the computer after logging and realize " OMG I only ate 689 calories, how did that come about " ?. It also does not happen that I realize " oh, I ate 3415 calories without realizing how that happened ". Why,? because I plan my food, I know now that a person of my height and age cannot consistently eat more than 1200 calories if they want to lose some weight. And I plan accordingly. Not down to last last calories, but within a 100 or so and that includes for example half a pound of strawberries with cream & sugar. I follow some people who are really successful and who I admire for all they have done to shed weight and become healthy and fit.....and they all plan before hand. No one eats " just because there are calories left " and I agree with you....it's not a good idea.
    I am no one special, possess no special powers and am of average intelligence......and I manage. So what is so difficult for others? That's what I don't understand and the fact that " This is why people can't eat all of their calories " is a blanket statement that does not apply to many if not most people... And I realized right away that the post was in English and understand that part just fine, even though English is my fourth language.......jejeje.

While I agree with some of what you said, the bolded part I disagree with. People who have specific fitness goals find that their performance suffers if they are not eating ALL of their calories. These people do eat more when they have calories left.
    Same here. I eat mostly ad libitum during the day and then at the end of the day if I have more calories left I eat something. (I have never ever pre-planned beyond the meal I'm preparing to eat.)

This happens a lot when I am bulking. Because I get used to eating about 2400 calories a day and suddenly change my goal to add an extra 1000-1500 per day.

I agree with you. I thought since I was talking about " shedding weight " that that would exclude those who have to eat more because they are bulking. I realize now that the next time I have to be much more accurate to include all of the different groups of people who eat for whatever reasons and that of course includes those people who all of a sudden need to increase their calories from 2400 to 3400-3900. I was only thinking of those trying to " shed weight ", which was relevant to what I wanted to say.....my mistake.....:o).
    But ...somehow I think that people who want to lose weight ( and not those who are bulking ) need to plan a bit more....or a lot more, because a calorie deficit by definition is limiting....much more than eating anywhere from 3000-4000 calories.

I wasn't talking about bulking. I'm talking about people who are eating at a calorie deficit to lose weight and/or fat, and yet still want to meet their performance goals, and thus need to eat all of their calories so they can perform well. Not gaining weight or muscle, just ability to continue to progress in their fitness program.

Yeah, I pretty frequently eat just because I have calories left. I have 239 calories left and I'm gonna go head an eat a granola bar (190) and maybe a square of chocolate to smooth that out. If I don't make my goals I tend to feel pretty sluggish when I go out to run/feel sore longer.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I don't eat in a vacuum.......I don't look up from the computer after logging and realize " OMG I only ate 689 calories, how did that come about " ?. It also does not happen that I realize " oh, I ate 3415 calories without realizing how that happened ". Why,? because I plan my food, I know now that a person of my height and age cannot consistently eat more than 1200 calories if they want to lose some weight. And I plan accordingly. Not down to last last calories, but within a 100 or so and that includes for example half a pound of strawberries with cream & sugar. I follow some people who are really successful and who I admire for all they have done to shed weight and become healthy and fit.....and they all plan before hand. No one eats " just because there are calories left " and I agree with you....it's not a good idea.
    I am no one special, possess no special powers and am of average intelligence......and I manage. So what is so difficult for others? That's what I don't understand and the fact that " This is why people can't eat all of their calories " is a blanket statement that does not apply to many if not most people... And I realized right away that the post was in English and understand that part just fine, even though English is my fourth language.......jejeje.

While I agree with some of what you said, the bolded part I disagree with. People who have specific fitness goals find that their performance suffers if they are not eating ALL of their calories. These people do eat more when they have calories left.
    Same here. I eat mostly ad libitum during the day and then at the end of the day if I have more calories left I eat something. (I have never ever pre-planned beyond the meal I'm preparing to eat.)

This happens a lot when I am bulking. Because I get used to eating about 2400 calories a day and suddenly change my goal to add an extra 1000-1500 per day.

I agree with you. I thought since I was talking about " shedding weight " that that would exclude those who have to eat more because they are bulking. I realize now that the next time I have to be much more accurate to include all of the different groups of people who eat for whatever reasons and that of course includes those people who all of a sudden need to increase their calories from 2400 to 3400-3900. I was only thinking of those trying to " shed weight ", which was relevant to what I wanted to say.....my mistake.....:o).
    But ...somehow I think that people who want to lose weight ( and not those who are bulking ) need to plan a bit more....or a lot more, because a calorie deficit by definition is limiting....much more than eating anywhere from 3000-4000 calories.

I wasn't talking about bulking. I'm talking about people who are eating at a calorie deficit to lose weight and/or fat, and yet still want to meet their performance goals, and thus need to eat all of their calories so they can perform well. Not gaining weight or muscle, just ability to continue to progress in their fitness program.

Because of this sentence " This happens a lot when I am bulking. Because I get used to eating about 2400 calories a day and suddenly change my goal to add an extra 1000-1500 per day. " I figured you were talking about bulking and yourself and not people in general..
    As mentioned before; I am old and very short and eat 1200 calories to lose .5 pounds a week and need to plan, because I have no calories to waste, neither on satietywithout nutrition, nor on foods that don't meet my macros and feel that a lot of people who want to eat for weight loss as well as health & fitness and who eat calories under 2000 a day need to make a similar effort .

The person after me talked about bulking. I have never done a bulk, but my body needs all the foodz to do my workouts. There is a definite difference in strength if I don't eat all of my calories.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Thought it was because people chose to eat high volume low calorie foods for every meal.

That is always my deal if I have a low day. Sometimes it's just because at the end of the day I crave junk so I'd rather just not eat it and go under then find myself binging and mad at myself for eating a bag of Cheetos.
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    I have read your post three times and with all due respect, I have no idea what you are talking about, except that I understand that you cut out soft drinks, sweet tea and eat beans from a can and put yogurt on your potato. Those are all things to congratulate you for. Does the rest of what you said apply to all of us ? I don't think so.....

I don't think you understand the art of an example.

Possibly, but what example would that be ?

You are not alone. I can't figure out the meaning or purpose of the OP either. That being said, my average daily calorie intake for the last 7 days was 1935cals/day. Not difficult at all. Oh, yeah, and I lost a lb in the process.

What can't you understand? It's in English, there are few(if any) grammatical errors. You might disagree, and you might be trying to tell everyone you disagree by being an *kitten* hat about it, but if you just don't understand what I'm trying to communicate then I think there's a deeper problem, and it's not on my end.

That being said, Yes, anyone can eat and add it all up and then say "oh no im 400 calories short" and go buy a milkshake. That's not okay. Planning for exactly 2000 is difficult for all of the reasons I have already said.

Actually, that is 100% OK. Why wouldn't it be? As long as you have hit all your macros, you don't get any points for eating 400 more calories of chicken and canned veggies.

Actually if your goal is losing weight and you find yourself 400 calories below at the end of the day and not hungry you DO get extra points for not being a complete dork and drinking a full glass of liquid sugar that's just going to make you crave more sugar.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I have read your post three times and with all due respect, I have no idea what you are talking about, except that I understand that you cut out soft drinks, sweet tea and eat beans from a can and put yogurt on your potato. Those are all things to congratulate you for. Does the rest of what you said apply to all of us ? I don't think so.....

You are not alone. I can't figure out the meaning or purpose of the OP either. That being said, my average daily calorie intake for the last 7 days was 1935cals/day. Not difficult at all. Oh, yeah, and I lost a lb in the process.

What can't you understand? It's in English, there are few(if any) grammatical errors. You might disagree, and you might be trying to tell everyone you disagree by being an *kitten* hat about it, but if you just don't understand what I'm trying to communicate then I think there's a deeper problem, and it's not on my end.

That being said, Yes, anyone can eat and add it all up and then say "oh no im 400 calories short" and go buy a milkshake. That's not okay. Planning for exactly 2000 is difficult for all of the reasons I have already said.

Actually, that is 100% OK. Why wouldn't it be? As long as you have hit all your macros, you don't get any points for eating 400 more calories of chicken and canned veggies.

Actually if your goal is losing weight and you find yourself 400 calories below at the end of the day and not hungry you DO get extra points for not being a complete dumb**** and drinking a full glass of liquid sugar that's just going to make you crave more sugar.
    You know that everything that applies to you doesn't necessarily apply to everyone else? For example, sugar does not make me crave sugar.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    This is why everyone is always wondering why they can't eat the amount of calories they are supposed to. It's easy to eat 1000 calories in a day, its easy to eat 3000 calories in a day. It is not east to eat 2000 calories in a day.
    There is no single answer for everyone. I've been at this since November 2011. On maintenance since May 2012. It's working, but it's nevery easy.

I'm glad you found out what worked for you but that doesn't mean it is the same for everyone.

I agree with this. I've started eating at my manteinance level around 3 weeks ago, and at first I had to eat very often in order to reach my daily recommended intake. I wasn't used to eat that amount of food anymore, and I wasn't used to eat often either. After a couple of weeks I find it much easier, and even if I have to keep track of what I eat, I can see it's a reasonable amount of food for the whole day. So I guess manteinance is working. When I was overweight-almost obese, I was probably just used to eat more everyday. It doesn't happen overnight, that's why manteinance should be reached gradually. It might seems stupid but sometimes you need a couple of weeks to get used to eat a few hundreds of calories more on a daily basis...
  • rmberkey
    rmberkey Posts: 2
    Options
    For me, I've had to cut out all of the "bad" stuff (ice cream, sweets, chips, etc.) because if its in the house I will eat ALL of it instead of just a healthy portion. But I've just started and have a long way to go, hopefully once these changes aren't new anymore I can go back to a few sweets every now and then, but till then I've decided to cut it out 100%. Instead, I eat a handful of nuts for my snack or I make a smoothie with banana, almond milk, unsweetened cocoa powder (10 cal per tbs!!) and splenda - that way I get my chocolate fix plus another serving of fruit and I meet my calorie goal for the day.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Actually if your goal is losing weight and you find yourself 400 calories below at the end of the day and not hungry you DO get extra points for not being a complete dumb**** and drinking a full glass of liquid sugar that's just going to make you crave more sugar.

Actually, a big glass of milk works fine.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Am I going to be a complete dumb a** nope but am I going to get that milkshake friggen right....esp if it's a hot august night.

Will it make me crave sugar...no more than the chocolate eggs I am currently eating
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Are you still eating 600 calories per day, OP?
    Fast Food makes it easy to go over normal calories you should have! The extra sodas, beers, and sugars are no good.
    Beer is no good???

OMG what a thing to say, there is no need to insult beer.
    I'm wondering which fast food joint is serving beer; the Wendy's around here has yet to install a kegerator.
    Actually, fast food joints have beer on tap in most of Europe. It's only for cultural reasons that the same isn't true in the US.

As a matter of fact, public eateries during the Roman Empire served mostly food during the day (and could give you a glass of wine with it if you wanted) and switched to serving mostly alcohol at night (and could give you a meal with it if you wanted).

It's a very logical business model, when you think about it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You don't get any extra points if you wake up hungry and end up binging on donuts because you don't have enough time to eat enough food by the time you need to go to work the next morning.

You are arguing with people who have been pretty successful on this site.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

No, I most certainly don't get bonus points. All I would get is a bigger deficit than what I need/want and a crap run/lifting session the next day.

No thanks on that. I'll just eat the ice cream (Southern Butter Pecan, ftw)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    This is why everyone is always wondering why they can't eat the amount of calories they are supposed to. It's easy to eat 1000 calories in a day, its easy to eat 3000 calories in a day. It is not east to eat 2000 calories in a day.
    There is no single answer for everyone. I've been at this since November 2011. On maintenance since May 2012. It's working, but it's nevery easy.

I'm glad you found out what worked for you but that doesn't mean it is the same for everyone.

I agree with this. I've started eating at my manteinance level around 3 weeks ago, and at first I had to eat very often in order to reach my daily recommended intake. I wasn't used to eat that amount of food anymore, and I wasn't used to eat often either. After a couple of weeks I find it much easier, and even if I have to keep track of what I eat, I can see it's a reasonable amount of food for the whole day. So I guess manteinance is working. When I was overweight-almost obese, I was probably just used to eat more everyday. It doesn't happen overnight, that's why manteinance should be reached gradually. It might seems stupid but sometimes you need a couple of weeks to get used to eat a few hundreds of calories more on a daily basis...

You should try a bulk sometime
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options

You should try a bulk sometime

Yeah, I'd really like to
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Are you still eating 600 calories per day, OP?
    Ghetto edit:
    If you are, it might explain why you find it easier to eat 1000 calories than 2000.

This could be complete broscience so you can all feel free to call me out on it, but I've heard it said that sustained very low calorie intake suppresses the appetite.

As long as you continue to eat very little your appetite remains low, but when you eat normally it returns...
  • likitisplit
    Options

Yup. Fuel and train! Even at a deficit.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    it is NOT okay to go out at 8 or 9 oclock at night and buy yourself a milkshake full of sugars, or even worse, synthetic sugars and then go to bed a couple of hours later. If you think that's okay, Im not sure what to tell you.

I regularly eat at 10:00 at night, and that is usually when I have my treat for the day, because that is when I know I have my calories. It's simply the way our schedules work.

For the record, I'm down 43 pounds from my starting weight, 23 down since January, and have lost 1.5-2 lbs per week for each of the last three weeks, since figuring out my actual TDEE and adjusting my caloric intake on the basis of my actual TDEE on a daily basis.

So, you know, you aren't totally right there, my friend. Would a healthier diet perhaps exclude some of the sugar I eat? Probably. But this is by far the longest I have ever maintained a 'diet' and it's by far the most weight I've ever lost and I know I can continue to do this for months and years to come. So, you know, from my perspective it is about what works for you physically and mentally. I know I will tighten up my eating at some point and make more nutritionally sound choices than I make right now because the stress I'm under compels me to eat all the bad things now and just sticking within a calorie budget is difficult enough at the moment.

If you are getting your macros and micros, why would you change?
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Id be interested in seeing your diary. Some days I have trouble eating enough without eating something bad for me.

That will change when you get closer to your goal. I started at @230 and normally I always had something bad every day, sometimes more! Unfortunately when you only have 1700 calories or less you can't eat bad stuff much anymore :( I envy people with normal metabolisms who can still eat 'desert' every day and lose weight.