Business dinner- inappropriate or not?

Options
123457»

Replies

• Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I travel for work with colleagues all the time. Some are male and some are female. I treat them all the same and if I was having a late dinner with one of them that's part of the business day.

You are making too much of this and it seems like an over reaction. Unless of course you have reasons to be suspicious of the two of them....if not let it go or you will cause other problems.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you also need to think about what you're doing to the young woman's career in throwing a fit about your husband having dinner with her. Depending on the profession, those moments away from the office to make personal connections can be critical to career development. Congratulations on adding a pane to the glass ceiling, OP.

Winner

Yes, yes, yes....a thousand times yes. Dinners and drinks with colleagues are where the business conversations happen and it's the best way for young employees to learn. You are being incredibly selfish by taking your insecurities out on this young woman. I remember my first dinners out in business. It was so exciting - and NOT because I was trying to get with my boss. Since then I've been on countless trips, at countless dinners (yes, sometimes that steak place has candles...the horror!), in countless towns and, sometimes, with countless drinks. Never once have I ever even considered hitting on a colleague because, believe it or not, I value my professional career too much to do anything stupid.

I feel sorry for your husband. How awkward for him. All you've done is put him in a lose-lose situation. He either bails on work colleagues because of your issues or he lies to you. I imagine he'll choose the latter.
    ^ All of this. There's so much more to work than what happens at work. Human beings are (typically) social creatures, and building relationships with coworkers is essential to furthering your career.