Sexual Harassment at the Gym..

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    If this happened in the workplace it might be considered harrassment, but those policies don't necessarily extend outside the workplace. Is there a policy manual for the gym? If there is it may be addressed in their manual. You say the owner's fiance is your trainer? Why cancel the appointment? You could inadvertently bring it up in the conversation without naming anyone and just say that some of the guys were a little loud with their comments and it was embarrassing to you. She would probably tell him, he probably didn't realize that their "conversation" had gone too far for mixed company. He's in the business of making money and losing a membership is something that would affect him directly, especially if more women become uncomfortable there and leave.

the gym is somebody's workplace.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    "For example, it is illegal to harass a woman by making offensive comments about women in general."
    It could be argued...
    but it wasn't directed at her and she just happened to overhear something she disapproved of, so it's hard to name as harassment.
    '

No, it's not. If someone finds something offensive even if it's NOT directed at them they can certainly complain. They can state that they felt uncomfortable and threatened by the conversation which would lead to a 'talking to' or an investigation. Either way HR would be involved.

finding something offensive /=/ sexual harassment.

This thread is sexually harassing me . . .

You were asking for it with that picture of you and your pecs. Now come on honey, shake that money maker....

Thank you, MFP, always blaming the victim . . .

wink wink, wiggle wiggle, kissing noises, va va voom, vodeo doh doh.....

lord, I couldn't harrass someone if my life depended on it. I'd be laughed out of the room.

I feel dirty . . .
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    How do I get through my last month? ALSO his fiancé is my trainer. I'm seriously considering canceling my appointment Wednesday.. but I also want to get as much from her as I can before I leave the gym. Help?

Well shoot, that makes it simple. Just tell his fiance that you're not renewing your membership b/c of the vulgar and offensive conversation your overheard. Then let her teach him a lesson.
    by withholding sex right? amirite?
  • ehample
    ehample Posts: 19
    Options
    Honestly, just look at them and simply say "I don't care to hear that and this isn't the place for that conversation". That behavior is rude and you should have no hesitation about saying so. I go to the gym several times a week and that would not be tolerated if was offending someone. Yes it is true, boys will be boys but at some point they need to grow up and be men. If you like the gym you have every right to be there AND be happy and comfortable. Stand your ground, if he is a man he will apologize.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    It's definitely sexual harassment. I just recently had to take a class in sexual harassment for work and it's considered harassment if you make a comment that is even just overheard by someone even though you didn't intend for them to hear it. So, for example, if I make a general comment about women's bodies and a women hears it and is offended it is harassment. This applies to peoples gender, race, sexual preferences, etc. If you like the gym, why change, just tell them what you heard and if they try to brush it off remind them it is a violation of federal law, maybe that will get their attention.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of that Planet Fitness commercial where the girls are in the locker room, and one chicks overhears a conversation in which she was not a part of and feels uncomfortable because they were talking about being so hott.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    "For example, it is illegal to harass a woman by making offensive comments about women in general."
    It could be argued...
    but it wasn't directed at her and she just happened to overhear something she disapproved of, so it's hard to name as harassment.
    '

No, it's not. If someone finds something offensive even if it's NOT directed at them they can certainly complain. They can state that they felt uncomfortable and threatened by the conversation which would lead to a 'talking to' or an investigation. Either way HR would be involved.

"harassment (typically of a woman) in a workplace, or other professional or social situation, involving the making of unwanted sexual advances or obscene remarks

According to the OP they were making obscene remarks that made her feel uncomfortable so yeah. It is considered sexual harassment.

But then again I only wrote Employment Practices Liability insurance policies for 13 years so what do I know?
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    It could be argued...
    '

"harassment (typically of a woman) in a workplace, or other professional or social situation, involving the making of unwanted sexual advances or obscene remarks

According to the OP they were making obscene remarks that made her feel uncomfortable so yeah. It is considered sexual harassment.

But then again I only wrote Employment Practices Liability insurance policies for 13 years so what do I know?

They weren't talking to her.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I'm so disappointed. I was expecting a tale of sexual harassment. . .

There's no such right as the right to not be offended. Being stupid isn't (yet) illegal.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    well god forbid anybody not like all Americans. because it's not like we Americans ever make blanket statements putting down people from other places. damned foreigners with their stooopid metric system and all.

I-like-where-this-thread-is-going-20886067270.jpeg
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If this happened in the workplace it might be considered harrassment, but those policies don't necessarily extend outside the workplace. Is there a policy manual for the gym? If there is it may be addressed in their manual. You say the owner's fiance is your trainer? Why cancel the appointment? You could inadvertently bring it up in the conversation without naming anyone and just say that some of the guys were a little loud with their comments and it was embarrassing to you. She would probably tell him, he probably didn't realize that their "conversation" had gone too far for mixed company. He's in the business of making money and losing a membership is something that would affect him directly, especially if more women become uncomfortable there and leave.

the gym is somebody's workplace.

anyone that works there should just buy a pair of headphones and put on their big boy/girl pants too. because everyone has a right to spew the most foul garbage loud enough so that the entire room can hear. that's what i got from this thread.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    It could be argued...
    '

That makes zero difference. If someone is offended by something regardless of whether or not it is directed at them they can complain and say it's causing a hostile work environment.
  • j6o4
    Options
    It could be argued...
    '

That makes zero difference. If someone is offended by something regardless of whether or not it is directed at them they can complain and say it's causing a hostile work environment.

but she doesnt work there.
  • Rd2fmars
    Rd2fmars Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yeah. This is why I like and prefer gyms that have a Women's room. I thought the very idea was silly and sexist at first, but men in the gym can be so annoying and intimidating. I don't have time for it so I head straight to the Women's area where I'm most comfortable.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I like gyms where everyone is included. People need to learn to open their mouths and speak up if they aren't happy. The world might be a bit better if people were straight up....
  • j6o4
    Options
    It could be argued...
    '

so, if I told a female (or male) customer at the store I worked at that I wanted to have sex with them that wouldn't be considered sexual harassment?

Yeah probably would be, but that's not what happend.
  • j6o4
    Options
    It could be argued...
    '

so, if I told a female (or male) customer at the store I worked at that I wanted to have sex with them that wouldn't be considered sexual harassment?

Yeah probably would be, but that's not what happend.

why does it matter if the person works there or not is what I'm getting at?

She doesnt work there, there for it does not cause her to be in a hostile work environment.