Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hi all;
    Jane – Yeah!!! Hope the appt. goes well. :smile:

Welcome – Sue from Fayetteville, Mountainsong129 and Mindy

Kay – thinking of you and your family:smile:

Joyce – sounds like a really interesting, yet exhausting time!

Cynthia – so scary!!! Hope your b.collie is ok! -after a later post, glad he seems ok now. :flowerforyou:

LizPlus – love the kitty doing pushups!!!

Katla – sending great thoughts your way!

Jane in CO - How scary for you to be in Mexico on pins and needles about hubby. I am so glad it was not a heart attack, but pinched nerves is not easy.

Alison – WOW – I don’t know how you do it all.

Bonnie – glad you are having a good time

Busy day today; my garden club had their annual plant sale today, so worked from 7am- 11am and then home and worked 2 hours in my yard pulling weeds. So glad I had leftovers for dinner - Someone, Heather - maybe, mentioned the web page skinnytaste.com - I love the sound of so many things on that site! I made a chicken and lemon asparagus - yummy served it on brown rice. perfect !

I bought peppers and tomatoes at the plant sale and will get them planted tomorrow, and do some more weeding! Plants have been going crazy here with warmer weather and rain. I do an easter celebration here, so want to get the yard in shape.
    Happy weekend everyone!

Kim in sunny N. CAL
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Hi! I would like to join your group even if I am way over 50. Maybe I could be the Granny of the group!

I just started at the end of March - again. But I am determined to stay this time. I have a great deal of weight to lose - and really need to for health reasons.

We live in central Kansas in a farm area. We are farmers and sell farm seed - such as corn, soybeans, milo and etc.

My goals for April:
    1. I want to lose 1+ lb / week
    2. Fill out my diary honestly, which means to record my poor choices also.
    3. Walk everyday - either with the walking DVD or outside, depending on weather.
    4. I want to start doing some weight training but I will be taking that very slow.

I hope each of you have had or having a great Saturday.

Reba from Kansas
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    It's been a long day, and I'm pooped! Four friends and I drove up to Kansas City for a little field trip. We went to visit a potter we have met before and got a tour of his studio and gallery. We all bought some really nice pieces that he had made. I got two nice soup mugs for the microwave and a small pitcher. Then we went to a new clay supply store near downtown. They are attached to a really nice gallery and studio, so we toured those too. Then we hit Trader Joes and headed home. I got back about 6:00. I felt a little bad because we went to Arthur Bryant's BBQ, which is one of the oldest BBQ joints in KC, and the rest all got huge plates of meat, bread and fries, and I didn't eat at all. I brought fruit from home and ate that in the car afterwards. I think my friends felt bad, but there was absolutely nothing on that menu that I could eat, and I wanted them to go ahead and get what they wanted. They threatened to go somewhere else, but then I would have felt bad. In the end, I was happy with my fruit. Then when I got home hubby wanted to go get pizza. I had two pieces because I was so good all day. But boy, was it salty!

Here is the joke of the day:
    :happy:

An Antartian is terribly overweight, so his doctor puts him on a diet.

"I want you to eat regularly for two days, then skip a day, and repeat this procedure for two weeks," the doctor ordered. "The next time I see you, you'll have lost at least five pounds."

When the Antartian returns, he's lost nearly 20 pounds.

"Why, that's amazing!" the doctor said. "Did you follow my instructions?"

The Antartian nods, "I'll tell you, though, I thought I was going to drop dead that third day."

"From hunger, you mean?" the doc questioned.

"No, from skipping."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Alison - when they send the joke of the day they also have a little thing at the bottom called the Daily Tip of Wisdom. Usually they are sort of sappy, but today's made me think of you:

Emotional Abuse
    Emotional abuse is present when the abuser undermines the victim´s sense of self-worth by criticing, name calling, the silent treatment, belittling, and making and breaking promises. If these actions in any way describe your relationship, you need to take a time-out and re-evaluate the relationship.

Goodnight ladies!

Sylvia
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Home. Exhausted. Catch up tomorrow afternoon.

Carol in NC (Was a glorious weather day!)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Sue - welcome, you'll find lots of good tips and tricks for healthy eating here along with lots of motiviation.

Sue in SD - glad that storm missed you.

Joyce - what a smart gd you have there!

Kay from NW WA - sure do hope everything goes well for you Sat.

Warning: rant to follow. I guess I just have to get this off my chest. You know how involved I am with Newcomers? Well, at the last board meeting this one lady said how she'd talked to the gal at the restaurant where we have our meeting, and she can cater a lunch. I asked her to keep me informed. Yes, it is my job. Why I wasn't included in the intial talks, I have no idea. Well, that's water under the bridge. So I offered to the president that I'd take care of all the details since this is my job and we are talking about taking the money out of my budget. I was willing to tally up the responses, confirm the lunch. But I'm still being kept totally out of the process. Why? They're alwys saying how they want new people involved. Last year a new person offered to chair the committee for the Gala, but she was pushed out so that someone else could do it. Now I'm being kept totally in the dark for something that is my job that I'm willing to do. Why? Well, Vince (who is on the board) said that since the idea of having a free lunch was to increase attendance at the general meeting, if we find that most people are leaving after the meeting and then more people are coming just for a free lunch, he's going to say something about how he questions if this is appropriate use of our funds. I have no idea how the payment is scheduled. Do we pay per person or is it a flat fee? We aren't going to stay for this lunch, and I know that Vince needs to have a receipt for the treasurer records.

Liz - don't starve yourself. You'll find that you're gaining weight because your body will hold onto all the fat there is because it'll be afraid it won't get any more. You know, when my kids were in elementary school, so many times I wished that I worked. Only because people got to thingking "oh, she can do this because she doesn't work or she can do that". In some ways I was glad when they finally graduated!

Cynthia - sure hope your dog is better.

Did about 50 minutes of Jillian Michaels Shred It With Weights DVD today. Tomorrow I'm planning to do Denise Austin's Boot camp DVD.

Pat - glad your hubby was able to go on that flight. How's his gout?

Gloria - big congrats on completing week 2

Jane in CO - thank goodness it wasn't a heart attack!!!!

Heather - I always say "I'll be dead and buried and the dirt will still be here". That's my rationalizing for not cleaning.....lol

I read something in *Prevention* magazine, don't know how true it is or not. I've personally never found it to be accurate. It says that the smaell of citrus helps suppress appetite, so having lemons, oranges, or grapefruit within smelling distance may keep you from overdoing it.

Alison - sounds like you had a hectic day. Be sure to take time for yourself. Thanks for reminding me that I washed our sheets today so now I need to put them on the bed.

Bonnie - as long as you're having a good time, that's what REALLY matters. Where in the mountains are you? We're at the foothills for the mountains.

Gail - I got these earrings from MIL when she passed away. I honestly thought they were costume jewelry and was about to give them away. Then I found out they were 24kt. gold! Now in one sense I'm sorry I gave away two rings, but my feeling is if they were worth something, the person who got them probably needed it more than I do. The other ring was the one I gave to Bryan's wife. Was it platinum? I'll never know. I do know that it was my mother's and she liked the good stuff, not costume. she'd rather have one piece of good jewelry than 3 pieces of costume. Oh well.....

Meg - what makes the bread sugar free? Does it have artificial sweetener in it? I have a cookbook that doesn't have any added sugar in any recipe nor any artificial sweetener. The sweetness comes from the fruit juices that are used.

Brenda - woo hoo on the great loss. Hope you enjoyed the pedicure.

Katherine - so sorry for your loss. Welcome, sounds like you have good goals

Reba from KS - welcome!

Welcome to anyone else new that I may have missed.

Michele in NC
  • WifeofPastor
    WifeofPastor Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    New to this forum. I have a few "friends" but only two seem to cheer me on or make comments. I hate the 'like" button as now very few comments get made or any encouragement gets said. I turned 62 a couple of weeks ago and my dh (who spoils me rotten) spread my birthday over 5 days. We were going to freshen up our kitchen and it has turned into a major reno. All that is left up are the kitchen cupboards (which I hate) and the appliances and sink. The rest of the walls are down to studs as is the ceiling, which has exposed the fact that the house still has live knob and tube wiring, so now we have to have the house rewired. DH and I squabble more often lately and it is always about the renos. Our home is an Arts and Crafts 1912 build and we love it but over it's 100 yrs it has been badly renovated which we are now discovering.

I began loosing weight when I realized that my residual limb (stump) was beginning to suffer due to the extra weight, my goel has been to get down to 145 lbs to begin with. I've been around that weight for a while now and so am working on my final goal to reach 135 lbs and stay there. While I am working towards this it has helped my dh to loose 50 lbs so he hovers around 300 but like me appears to be stuck. Once the snow is gone and I can get outside working on relandscaping I'm hoping that will nudge the weight down some more.

My daughters are on mfp too but they have busy lives so not give me much encouragement, so looking for new friends, saw your message board and though maybe I would try and see if I fit in with any of you.

Thanks for reading my jumbled thoughts, off to bed now. Night all.
    Prince Albert, Saskatchewan.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Reba- welcome to another Kansan! There aren't very many of us on here. I'm in Pittsburg in southeast Kansas but grew up around Winfield/Augusta/Wichita area. My sister still lives over that way.

Sylvia
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    wifeofpastor, I am taking it that you are a pastor's wife. I am a preachers kid. I loved every minute of it but I realize that my view point and my Mom's was to different things. She loved being a wife to the pastor and being in the role of a pastors wife but the moving was hard to do. It was many many years that they had a home of their own and could make changes in it without asking the church. I remember one church we were in, the parsonage was right across the street from the church. those were the good ol' days of cloth diapers. Mom would come home and find that the nursery workers had run out of diapers so had gone across the street to our house and raided our kitchen towel drawer to use those as diapers.

KIm, yes, it was an exhausting time but I do not want my daughter to curb activities just because of me. I told her that it was just like I was at Christmas. I am going to be busy and be exhausted at the end but I love every minute of it and wouldn't change it for anything. I and everyone else just needs to know that the way I deal with it afterwards is to hibernate for at least a day when it is over and to LEAVE me alone. That's why I slept for midnight to 4:30 PM and would have slept longer but husband woke me up.

She usually doesn't do the grocery shopping. Her husband works from home and does it but he has a day job this week and it really brings in some money and his work form home doesn't bring in much at all. It is considered a ministry and they accept as that. My husband and the rest of the family except those of us that grew up in a preachers home know that sometimes your ministry work doesn't bring in much. He is a video, tech man that leads tech type of webisodes daily, writes magazine article for techy and church publications and writes a lot fo books on it. It's just that he gives most of the books away. His rationale is that he is getting his name out and his message is getting across and he is helping a lot of people. But during the horse raccing seasons he is busy at Lexintons, Kys' big race track, Keeneland, . he is hired by individual horse owners to video their horses during races so they can analyze the performance. He also goes to the Kentucky derby and does it then. So he gets nice money during race season. So Christina took the day off yesterday since we were there and she did the grocery shopping. Everyone knows if you don't usually do the shopping it takes longer and more steps to find everything you want. And there were many times I needed time away from the kids, you know how kids are in a grocery store- they want everything, so I would go to a different aisle and look for what she wanted. We also aren't in the habit of exploring big caves. although I wish we had the energy to do that. We did find a frog and a garter snake which was interesting. The garter snake was in the yard.

JOyce, Indian
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Sylvia:smile: The BBQ place you went to for lunch only sells BBQ? The one we go to here has all kinds of things besides BBQ,(although the BBQ is the specialty) they have a wonderful grilled chicken salad I get sometimes! I`m really sorry there wasn`t anything you could eat:cry: ! Love the "skipping " joke:laugh: !

Welcome to everyone new:flowerforyou: ! Hope you pop in often and chat with us!!!

I`m getting ready to go out the door to the track:bigsmile: ! Then...time to boss the boys later this morning:love: , one of my very favorite things to do:devil: :laugh: !

Have a lovely Sunday ladies! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in beautiful NC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,349 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful women! :flowerforyou:

Anamika- I heard on the radio that the Scottish Symphony Orchestra are playing in Mumbai tonight and being broadcast.

Alison - Big hugs. :flowerforyou: Breathe and try to stay centered. You do not have to run around after everyone else. I hope your ffather is OK. :flowerforyou:

Tigress - 2.5 acres! Wow! Part of me is jealous and part is relieved not to have all that responsibility. I would love to have a bit more space, but my 0.6 of an acre gives me enough work. I love to grow as much veg as I can in my raised beds.

Meg - so sorry you are stressed. :flowerforyou: :heart:

Brenda - moving 3 hrs away would certainly be a wrench. I pine for my grandchildren a lot and they live almost that far. I am seeing them on Friday. The first time for nearly 2 months.:love::love: :heart:

Katherine - I love that idea of the Sleeping Beauty.:laugh: So sorry you lost your husband.:heart: You are right - it's time for you.:flowerforyou:

Reba - to me a grain farm in Kansas sounds amazingly exotic! Like lots of films I have seen. I'm sure the reality is lots of hard work.

WifeofPastor - welcome:flowerforyou: I love Arts and Crafts houses, but they are a big responsibility. Best wishes for all your stressful renovations.:flowerforyou:

It's a typical baking day today - dull and drizzly. The top tier of the christening cake will be made this pm. DH was hoping to go to the first day of the season's cricket, (he is a season ticket holder for Hampshire), but it is rained off.
    I still haven't done my admin on the computer. :noway: :embarassed: :tongue:

Love to all. Heather in damp and grey Hampshire UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,799 Member
    Options
    wow, i slept like a rock... 9 hrs
    guess I needed it, SIL called me early, will be here for the her and her mom .. my poor brother was just exsausted last night he has had quite a week, and he went over to stay with my dad, just to get away with the situation....
    Jean will be talking to a friend of hers today about the situation with her brother, her brother really needs help mentally.. he has had issues since he was young, but threating family, especially at a time like this is just dangerous...
    Jean is stepping up to the plate and will be taking care of her mom, they will have someone come into take care of Faith during the week.A friend of Jeans ,, so that is good..
    going to do some yard work today and laundry and cooking.. and tomorrow going to get dad to the dr.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Heather: you do know that we are expecting a photo of that cake? :happy:
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    It's Sunday!:flowerforyou: I've cooked and eaten breakfast and I have a 30 minute break before getting ready to go to church!

I've decided to make Sunday my weigh in day and this morning I am happy, thrilled, and reporting a 6.4 pound weight loss for last week. I know its my first real week since getting back on track and changing back to healthy eating and exercising! :blushing: So I am encouraged for next week.

Have a great day all!

Tere
  • aqua_swimmer
    Options
    Hello! This looks like a nice positive group.

In March I lost 4 pounds.

For April my daily goal is to track my food and swim.

Jane
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday Ladies,

Tere, congratulations on your weight loss!

Jane, welcome. This is a wonderful group.

Alison, HUGS!

Meg, hang in there!

Reba, welcome!

Heather, happy cooking and baking. We would love to see the cake!

WifeofPastor, welcome!

Katherine, love the Sleeping Beauty idea! Welcome!

Dee, hope your Sunday is fun!

Hugs and Prayers to all,

Cindy in OK
  • Shaynelle
    Shaynelle Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, I've read all the posts in this thread and love how supportive it is!

I have about 60 lbs to lose and struggling to even start losing. I find it difficult to say no to cravings and yes to exercise. My hurdles are that I work part time, have a young child at home, am a military spouse to a soldier who deploys often,and am sure I suffer from mild depression. I feel like an exhausted slug.

Katherine, Ottawa Ontario
  • donnamar1
    Options
    Hello Ladies! I am new to this thread, and I love reading all of the mutual support here! My son is getting married in October and I would love to lose 30 or 35 pounds for the big day! I work full time and my motivation and energy level is always so low - I need someone to kick my butt into gear! My plan for April is to log every morsel I eat, and to get active again, which means walking and getting back to the gym that I pay for but never go to! My weight loss goal is 5 pounds this month! Thanks for all and any ideas and tips to help me through the process! P.S. I've started drinking green smoothies to get my vegetables in!
    Donna in Pittsburgh
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Good morning all, got up this morning thinking it was Monday, and I have a whole different plan for Monday compared to Sunday. I usually make protein pancakes on Sunday. So after I had my inside out omelet I realized it was Sunday, oh well I guess I can have them tomorrow.

Heather-I also have a raised bed garden.

Tere-way to go on the weight loss. Wow that's a great week!

Welcome to all the new folks.

Tigress in GA
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sun!!
    have a great day/
    off to church and groc.shopping.
    hugs
    jane
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good morning all, welcome to everyone new!

Our weather report shows possible showers today, then a warming trend, 73 and sunny tomorrow! :noway: :love: I might have to get out and do some digging later this afternoon, it's that time again when perennials need dividing. Weeds are popping up everywhere, too. A-gardening we will go. :glasses:

The week in review...I was diligent with my foods & exercise, felt great, lost a pound. Then came Fill'er Up Friday and Party Saturday. It's good to be back to Simple Sunday. :bigsmile: A couple of days of letting go a little, now it's back to watching like a hawk. Taking the time to think it all through, planning & logging meals first thing in the mornings helps tremendously. Going to do that now. :wink:

Eat less, move more, get your greens and beans :flowerforyou:

:smile: jb in cloudy Portland, OR