WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2014

Options

Replies

• kayduro
    kayduro Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My ticker says 19 lbs lost, but it's really 23lbs lost since I started my
    life style change 2 weeks before I started using mfp.

Great job! Congratulations!

Kay- your son must be so scared, I hope the biopsy results come back
    quickly. Hang in there, I'm glad your hubby is there for you.

Brenda from Md

I think he is. He was very upset about having to stay in the hospital this weekend (He had big plans with his cousin) and so I became his "punching bag". Friday was a long, rough day for me and all I wanted to do is snack all day. He DID call me from his hospital bed last night to apologize. So that was nice. I just reiterated what I told him in the hospital; every choice I make for him is made in his best interest. And staying in the hospital over the weekend has proved to be beneficial. He has definitely gotten the help he needed to get his kidney function headed in the right direction. And he does see the value in that.

Kay in NW Wa
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Reba, Jane AS ( there are a few Janes), Katherine, Donna, April and other newbies whose names I missed – Welcome, love to have you!

Sylvia – great definition of Emotional Abuse!!! :smile:
    And I was faced with a BBQ place a few days ago; (knew it was coming so did some web page research) and found that a pulled pork sandwich was not as bad as I would have expected – ate ½ and brought ½ home and that worked well for me. I don’t know about your place; but it gave me hope for BBQ in the future.

Michele – sorry that newcomer situation is so difficult ! I am in a club and when it is touching on the budget the committee chair has to be involved. :smile:

Wife of Pastor – day or night there is someone on this thread cheering someone else on! We have ladies from all over the world so it is a fun place to have friends and learn about what others are doing!

Tere – 6.4 lbs is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bigsmile:

Alison – take care!!!! Sending good thoughts :smile:

Lila – Gardening is a double dip – it makes your yard look good; and counts as exercise! Love it. :happy:

Yanniejannie – Go see Bruce! Seeing him in concert is on my bucket list – :laugh:

Joyce – my nephew is like your DD loves red robin, they have a great web page for making the calories work, there is a salad that I love just have them leave off a couple of things and good to go! :smile:

Kay in WA – congrats on the loss:smile: ; Sorry about the cathing for your son….:frown:

Margaret- sounds like a great class – really interesting:smile:

I picked up a friend from the airport today and took her home, she was at a niece's wedding, we had not seen each other in about a month so it was nice to catch up - but the first thing she said to me - was " You are looking really good" I grinned from ear to ear ! love the NSV's almost more than the scale victories.

All that gardening has me a bit sore today, which is weird as I do a lot of gardening - just must have moved different! It is beautiful out today and I want to be back in the yard, but really need to get some embroidery done, as I will be busy with some other things this upcoming week.

So better get to it.
    Smiles Kim in sunny 75+ degree N. CAL
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!New pic is Violet after her haircut,holding the hair she is donating.
    HUGS
    jane
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I'm going to take the kids swimming anymore, unless I can get another adult to come with me. It's too hard for one person to watch three very active kids. (The lifeguard had her eyes closed part of the time, so I didn't have any confidence in her to help me keep them safe.). The girls are doing so much better swimming though, after a few lessons. But that means they are braver and go farther away from me. The little guy won't give up his floatie, but he's like a motorboat in that thing. Everybody yells "look, grandma!" At the same time from three different parts of the pool. And today they were bickering and trying to drown each other. I came home stressed out and having angina. Took a nitro.

Tonight for dinner I made some amazing wide flat noodles I got at trader joes that were lemon pepper flavored. I've never seen any noodles like that before. I made chicken breast seasoned with mrs dash lemon pepper, and tossed them together with a tiny bit of olive oil. Yummy! And very low sodium. I'm going to buy those again. For dessert I made hubby an angel food cake and strawberries. I had a small slice. I love baking angel food. It's like magic! I haven't made one since I got sick, so it's been a while.

I'm going to bed early.

Sylvia
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,842 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: YaHoo!!! It was 65 and sunny here today and I got on my horse for the first time since late last fall. I was able to lift my saddle up on her back with no help. :bigsmile: Only rode for about 20 minutes but that is not too bad for two old ladies ( me and my horse) who are both out of shape. Couldn't believe all the horse hair I came home with, everything I was wearing had to go in the wash.

Tulips are starting to come up. I need to clean out the beds. We are having the outside of the house painted this spring and the contractor told me not to plant any flowers next to the house as they will be squished by scaffolding and the plastic used to catch the old paint that is scraped off so hopefully the tulips will bloom before they are ready to paint.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,357 Member
    Options
    WifeofPastor - welcome! I wouldn't say that I hate the "like" button, I just don't feel that it means much at all. Anyone can just hit "like", that doesn't mean that they even LOOKED at your menu. Whenever I make a comment, I try to mention something in the menu so that the person knows that I, did indeed, look at it. Even a comment like "good job" really doesn't mean that the person even looked at your menu. But it does mean that they at least went out of their way to make a comment. I'm so sorry that your reno is turning more and more into a larger project than you anticipated. Guess we just have to look at it as any reno that was done, even tho it isn't correct by today's standards, hopefully was done correctly by the standards of the time it was done. Is it possible that your body just doesn't want to go much below 145? Congrats on your weight loss, how much did you lose in total and how long did it take to lose it? Keep coming here and you'll get lots of encouragement.

Tere - congrats on the loss!

Katherine - welcome. Boy, you sure have a lot on your plate. Come in often

Donna and April - welcome! You CAN do it!

alison - so sorry you are in such pain. Maybe, tho, it is a blessing in disguise. Now you HAVE to take care of yourself.

yanniejannie - I do hope you decide to see Bruce

Shirley - welcome

katla - enjoy the time with your son

Joyce - what a wonderful mother you are

Did an hour of Denise Austin Belly Fat DVD today, tomorrow the plan is to do about 10 minutes of pilates, hold my plank and then take the extreme pump class

This a.m. I went to this lady's house who made a costume for Jessica. I think it came out real nice. Honestly, if Jessica had given her more time, she could have made it more realistic. Then we drove up to Lexington (VA) to get Jessica's cats and brought them here (4 hrs one way). I have this quilt that I'm making for my friend (I think I told you about it). It's a real easy pattern, so I take it and work on it at the Green Room. Today I did more work on it in the car.

I'll probably sleep with Jessica's cats tonight.

So not a whole lot of time. Thinking of you all.

Michele in NC
  • kathrineb57
    kathrineb57 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Good Evening Beautiful Women! Thank you so much for the wonderful welcomes and the condolences. You all sure have made me feel more comfortable about being a part of this group.
    I would like to give a shout of welcome to all the other newbies, you have found an awesome group.
    Sylvia - hello to another Kansasan. Is that spelled right? lol

Margaret - I like your 2014 word: Contentment, I think that I am becoming more like my grandmother, she seemed so content with her life and I am finding mine.

Rebamae - I hope you found that walk today. I know what you mean about looking forward to your walks, if you can only get started. Once i am back in the swing of a good routine of walking I just don't know WHY I STOPPED. It was good t hear from you today. Made my day at work better.
    Congrats to all who met their March goals and had some weight loss. And I am sure we will have a fun challenge to meet our April goals.

I work long hours the next 3 days, so I won't be writing much. I hope I can take a peek at the posts each night before going to bed.
    I have made my meal plan for the next couple days. And plan to pack my meals. Now if I can stay out of the snacks ( at work) that seem to call my name. Have a great Monday beautiful ladies.

Kathrine in Kansas
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    :angry: :mad: :explode: :sad: I just typed a really long post and it all disappeared!! I'll try again tomorrow. It's past my bedtime tonight. :yawn:

Hope everyone has a good sleep!

Carol in NC
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Kathrine - wow! We're up to three Kansans now. I love Lawrence. I come up there every so often to go to Brackers, or to the art center. What kind of work do you do? Who did the artwork on your profile pic? Are you an artist?

Sylvia
  • WifeofPastor
    WifeofPastor Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note tonight. to say thank you for the warm welcome. To answer a couple of questions:
    Yes I'm a Pastor's Wife and tired of moving, hoping this will be our permanent home as we now have two houses here... not planned but a member needed to rent a larger place and as we couldn't sell and want this house, we decided to rent her our smaller home.
    In 2000 when I had my leg amputated below the knee I went up to 175 lbs, have never been that heavy ever, when I was pregnant I only weighed in at 132 lbs. I began this current journey originally at 165 and lost 20 but put back most of it so this time I began at 161 lbs and am now down to 145 lbs. I feel I can loose more but not going to stress over it.
    My body is getting older than I want and I get extremely frustrated with that fact. DH is saying it is time I stopped being the stand in organist at church due to the pain it causes me in not only my body (due to the bench and keyboard being so low, but with the osteoarthritis now in the base of my thumbs playing is very painful... I hate to leave the church without any guiding music so today I played parts of the liturgy and some of the verses for the hymns, dh was OK with that compromise for the time being.
    Time for me to hit the sack as I am very tired and 6:00 am comes early and II still can't get to work on time at 8:00. Good job my bosses understand that health issues make me slow in the mornings getting moving. I'm sure I shall tell you more as I get to know each one. It lookas as if we all have our own problems and the one in common of trying to keep our weight under control or loose it.
    Thanks for reading.
    Ronnie
    Prince Albert, Saskatchewan
  • WifeofPastor
    WifeofPastor Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    LOL... I guess I don't know what "just a quick note is" LOL
    ronnie
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    ronnie, AKA wifeofpastor, my Mom, also preachers wife, was also the organist for many years. Loved the job, the music and being by Dad's side but also had bad back and knee problems. I remember well the Sunday Mom played her last time on the organ. It was a very hard day for her.

Joyce, Indiana
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    HI!New pic is Violet after her haircut,holding the hair she is donating.
    HUGS
    jane
    How lovely, and the short hair is cute! I know a boy who donated hair, wonderful long, thick, blond hair.
    Cynthia
  • CynthiaT60
    Options
    Good morning everybody; hope for all of us that this is the beginning of a good week!

Michele: I sometimes use the like button if I don't have any particular comment after reading the diary (I always do read them).

:flowerforyou: for everybody,
    Cynthia
  • gbutterfly
    gbutterfly Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    HI ladies - I'd love to join this little support network. i'm not 50 but I've been menopausal for several years already so I am dealing with some of the similar weight issues as women over 50 just dealing with them in my 40's
    (abdominal weight gain, hot flashes, occasional bouts of irritability/rage, forgetfulness, fatigue.... joints seem to all be wearing out more easily when I exercise)

so the joint thing - that is one i'd love support for. when was younger i wasn't a big athlete - swam a little, danced only for pleasure - but in late 30's i started zumba, then started trying to run and weight training. a few years ago lost 30+ lbs running and paleo- but this time around seems like I keep hurting my foot, my knee, my back.... something is always getting hurt and I keep having to adjust my exercise plan around injuries.

I would love any tips on avoiding injury or recovering from it more smoothly after menopause. On a good day I can run a 9 or 10 minute mile - but the past 3 days my knee has not tolerated any impact so I did a very slow statioinary bike one day then rested the other 2 days. I'm feeling antsy to go burn some calories!!
  • CynthiaT60
    Options
    Hi gbutterfly, welcome. I would guess that it might be time to look for exercise that doesn't injure you, like walking (you could build up speed and/or incline later), swimming or cycling (start with low resistance). Listen to your body; if you keep getting injured you're probably not doing yourself any favors. :flowerforyou:

Cynthia
  • VixxyLiss
    VixxyLiss Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Morning Everyone!

10am here, I've been up since 7:30 and done my slow shoe shuffle in the woods with both dogs, I have a love/hate relationship with weekends which is probably because I don't work so I'm at home every day anyway, I always feel I should be doing something different but with DH doing football stuff on Saturdays and then being pooped from his working Monday to Friday then he doesn't want to do much on a Sunday.

For someone who is a binge eater I find I eat less when I'm on my own in the week that I do at the weekend, I'm sure that should be the other way round!

Bought myself my only Easter Egg yesterday, white chocolate with raspberry rippled through it, I don't like "brown" chocolate much, my DH has just eaten his 5th Egg this year and Easter isn't even here yet :laugh:

I'm down 1 pound since last Monday and I'm happy with that, the ticker probably doesn't show it though as I started MFP last year sometime when I weighed a bit less :blushing:

I've got the first of my 3 training sessions today, my trainer has 2 favourite sayings - "what happened before isn't important" - he's talking about why I am as I am, he wants to address the issues I have now without going back over what I did wrong in the past, after all I didn't just wake up fat! The other one is "there's more than one way to skin a cat", this is for when I go to see him and we're supposed to be doing a 30min power walk but my hips are aching, so he just changes what we do; or maybe when I couldn't do free squats, but can do them if almost sitting on one of those gym balls and then coming up again.

I don't think I'll ever "like" training, I'm not someone who's ever going to say "the sun is shining lets go for a 5 mile hike", more likely to say "the sun is shining lets get the BBQ out" :tongue:

Have a good day ladies!

Mindy from Berkshire, UK
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,257 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

gbutterfly - I have joint problems, especially in my left knee. My frustrstion is that I can't dance, which I used to love. My exercise regime is mostly on machines - rower, elliptical snd recumbent bike. I have to be very careful on the elliptical as if I try to do intervsls my knee immediately swells up. I do all this for about one hour- the machines say about 420 - 440 cals.
    I then do strength training and floor exercises. Dumbbells, planks, push ups, crunches etc. About 20 mins. Also balance exercises. Once a week I have a rest and go to a yoga class!:tongue:
    I am lucky in that I don't work so I have the time. I find this doesn't stress my joints too much. Rowing is good provided you build stamina and strength up slowly and don't wrench your back by going at it like it like a mad thing!:laugh: If my knee is playing up I can even do it one legged!
    You can google floor exercises and chair exercises so there is no excuse! ! ! !:tongue:

Mindy - reading the above paragraph you would think I am an exercise fanatic. Quite the opposite. I have never been sporty and only really liked dancing or a bit of tennis as exercise. I used to hate getting sweaty. Even with swimming, which I can do, I didn't like all the getting in and out of the pool. Too much hassle, though I did do it because I felt I had to.
    I have though got into a regime with my exercise such as I feel bad if I don't do it. This is largely down to to DH who has always had a regime of regular exercise. He does it with me and encourages me, rather like your personal trainer, except he comes free!:laugh: My main motivation started off as wanting to lose weight for vanity reasons, but I soon realised the health benefits. I was in a pretty bad state. Now the fear of putting the weight back on gets me in there! I love to eat and I have to earn my calories. My natural inclination is to stay in bed reading all day!:laugh:

I am very pleased to say that I weighed myself today and am only a few ounces up after my mega eating trip away. I gave myself three days to let things settle. Great relief and happiness!:bigsmile:

Bye for now, Heather in damp Hampshire UK
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies

Monday. Again??

Every day I take two one litre bottles of water to work in my bag (I do keep water at work too, but this is to make sure I drink my minimum requirement). This morning one of the bottles managed to empty itself into my bag. Can you imagine the mess! Thank goodness my mobile phone and laptop weren't in that bag.... just loads of paperwork.

I hate to wish my life away - I'm just looking forward to six o'clock this evening when I can leave work (having said that, I bet today will be the day that I have to stay late .... ooh, look at Miss Negativity today!)

Anyway, I hope everyone had a good weekend. Catch up with you soon.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hello to All, Welcome Newbies,
    I'm disappointed with myself, I gained back two of the four lbs I lost last week. I need to stick with what works and not "find" my weight again. I got caught up in things again and didn't log food. why is it I think I can eat things when I doin't log? They are certainly not any less calories when not logging.
    I did get my cycling class in Saturday and an hour of Yoga, we also went dancing Saturday night so I think in the back of my mind I was thinking I burned more calories and could eat more. Since I wasn't logging it was so much easier to over eat and pick the wrong things.
    Oh well, moving on. I watched my DGD Saturday and she is recovering from the reaction although still breaking out in hives. I watched her again on Sunday along with her brother. Yesterday was even better for her although again still dealing with the hives and the Benadryl makes her sleepy.
    I wish I had the time to read back over the posts and reply but it is time to get to work. I will try to catch up later.
    Wishing all a great week, Patty, Cincinnati