WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2014

Options

Replies

• PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie for always starting this thread. :wink:
    March was not the best. To much pollen and stuffy head :grumble:
    April is starting great. Looking to hit the 180's again :laugh: Still getting over the turkey season to much pie :blushing:

Hope everyone has a wonderful Spring. :flowerforyou: My butterfly garden is planted and helping plants for the bees. Also lots and lots of salad veggies. Grow food my friends grow food. Yummy.

:heart: Patsy
    Lutz, Fl
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Happy mon!!
    Love the joke for today,thanks for sharing.
    Gonna be 50 today.
    HUGS
    jane

Happy Birthday Jane :drinker:
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Jane. Loved the joke Sylvia and also jb's Monday words of wisdom. Today was a different kind of day for me as I usually only do laundry on Monday but today we went to the store to get fruits/veggies. I forgot to get milk!!!! Tomorrow is DH's birthday and he wants to eat at home and have steak so I have to go to the store again for that. We joined another golf club that is only 5 minutes from the house. Went over this afternoon and hit balls and practiced putting. Boy do I need the practice.
    Haven't gotten to read everything but do want to welcome the newbies. It's always fun to have new ladies join the group.
    Been doing a better job of logging the good, the bad, and the ugly. I think I will do a better job now that I have a supply of fruit and veggies.
    Sue in TX
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Did 10 minutes of a 10 min solution pilates DVD. Actually, I don't think it was as much pilates but it used the band I felt I got a good (different) workout. That band really targeted the muscles. Then I held my plank for 2 min 15 sec and in a bit I'll go to the extreme pump class.

After class I'll stop at WallyWorld. I'm going to get some antiallergy med. Tomorrow is the last day for the antibiotic and I'm still coughing a bit. Maybe this'll help.

Tomorrow I'm planning to do this workout on the treadmill where you run for 20 seconds, walk fast for 40 and walk slower for 60.

Well, I'm not doing that great on my Lenten sacrifice not to eat after dinner. Last night I had a piece of the minibabybel. I'm trying, but I'm also finding it really difficult.

I'm feeling a bit "different" right now. Let me explain. You know how I've said before that fat and sugar combined (like butter and sugar when making cakes/cookies, etc) is one of my downfalls? Well, lately I haven't been having sweets. Not really planned, it just seemd to work out that way. Now I'm finding that I want sweets less and less. A friend of mines's birthday is in a few weeks and I know I should make her a cake and I know I'll need to make a cake for Easter. I'm actually dreading it! That's just weird for me. A good weird, but still "different" Update: I saw her tonight at mahjongg and asked what she'd like. She said "something good but low in calories". I mentioned fruit and she said "fruit is good". Maybe a fruit salad? If anyone has any suggestions, I'm more than open to them

Ronnie - that was really nice of you to do some of the music for the liturgy.

Cynthia - I understand when for the most part people comment but every now and then they don't. You're right, sometimes it's hard to find something to comment on. If normally a person comments and every once in a while they don't, I do think it's more of that there just isn't something to comment on. I guess I'm talking more about the people who consistently hit "like". Then, of course, there are people whose diaries aren't open so there's no way you can make a comment.

gbutterfly - welcome. Really, age is only a number. As far as injury, how is you Bone density? I'm wondering too if the lubrication in my knees might not be wearing out some. Some days it just feels like it is. Not today, tho. I don't know. I'm not in any pain. Swimming is a really good low to no impact exercise and you really can work up a sweat (even tho you're in the water. Another plus is what better place to have a hot flash....lol?)

Mindy - wise trainer you have there

Heather - I never go by the number of calories the machines tell you you burned. To me, that is a bogus number. For one thing, a 200 pound person will burn more calories than a 150 pound person. Gender has something to do with it. Also, you burn more calories when sprinting than when recovering. I've never seen a machine that takes this into account.

Amanda - what a pain when your water bottle opens up! I usually just carry mine. Now I will put it in my gym bag when it's empty. Occasionally there's a tiny bit of water left in the bottle and I just hate when that spills out, so I can imagine how you felt

Patty - you'll get that weight off that's for sure. Glad your gd is better

anamika - cardio would help with the fat and bone density. Do you do much?

r1cksy - welcome!

Tigress - you're doing superb!

Made this chicken fried rice to take to Rummikub tomorrow night only one gal is avoiding gluten so I substituted quinoa for the rice. Not bad but not as flavorful as I would have thought, the rice probably adds more flavor. This was the first time ever that I cooked with the red quinoa. That's all the store had. Then I made more of the black bean brownies for Vince. This time I added karo syrup and won't tell him that there's black beans in it.

Today it's been cold and rainy. Scattered showers, it was pouring this a.m. but now it isn't doing anything. Weather.com says that it will start to rain later in the day.

Tonight is mahjongg.

Oh, about that thing with the Newcomers (them not letting me do my job, etc). Well, it seems that all this work has resulted in 6 people signing up for the lunch who don't normally come to the meetings. We're going to wind up paying approx $150 for 6 people! Vince said that at the Board meeting he's going to make mention of the fact that since our financial situation isn't all that great, we just spent $150 for 6 members. The lady who started all this, (initiated getting the lunch , etc) said that she's surprised that we had such a poor turnout. Vince wrote back that he isn't given the fact that in the past any event we've had after the meeting has been poorly attended. Update: Vince mentioned to me, and I didn't think of this but it's true, since we aren't charging people, people may have said that they were coming to the lunch but then leave and we are still required to pay for them. Of course, we won't know if that's true or not until the day of the lunch.

Liz - ((((hugs))))

Cindy - 33 years! Congrats

michele121212 - welcome! What a lovely picture of you!

kayzoola - you are so right that you need to build up the muscles around your knees.

Dana - welcome! Do you know how you injured your achilles? What did you do for it? I hurt mine and I swear it took almost 1-1/2 yrs to get better. Some of that might have been the fact that I really didn't want to take any meds but used a topical. The topical probably takes longer to work. Now that you've posted, youll see this thread under "my topics". Just click on that and you'll get right here!

anamika - the best way of testing body fat is hydrostatic. But to be honest, I don't know of any place that does that. Plus, it's probably pretty expensive. The next best way to measure is to use caliphers. Most gyms have a set of them (don't use those handheld things, their results can be skewered by things like water retention etc). One thing I think of, after losing weight you have extra skin (that's natural). When they "pinch" you with the caliphers, this fat registers. I wonder how that affects the body fat percentage?

Bootcamper - welcome to a great place

Wish I could find more time to spend with Jessica's cats, but it seems that by the time I exercise, then today I went to WalMart, came home and made the salad and brownies, now here posting, before I know it it'll be time for dinner then to go to mahjongg.

Welcome to all the new ladies that I haven't mentioned previously

Michele in NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Gotta hick the sack earlier tonight. Have a lunch with Sunday School group tomorrow morning, it's a once a month thing, and need to take a shower before I go. I didn't sleep well last night so I will be going to bed early tonight. To me that means 12:30 AM instead of 1:30 or 2. I guess if I really want a good nights sleep I can take one of my wild lettuce pills but I like to do it on my own.

Dancing with the stars was exquisite tonight. They all switched partners tonight. They saved the best till last, I'm sure that was planned when Meryl Davis and her new partner did the Argentine tango. She did it as well I think as any professional dancer there. It was a pleasure to see. They were rewarded well with the points also. The lowest in points total from this weeks and last though is Candace Cameron. I really like seeing her. She is so wholesome, wonderful values.

Our family is usually lax about making our plans for any holiday meal. Mom always kept us on out toes and now that she is gone and it is just up to us kids we don't do so well. Last year we went to visit our daughter and this year my sister is visiting her daughter so the numbers are down pretty low. My dear nephew loves to spend the money even if he doesn't have it. So my sister clued me in that he would be calling me to see where e could go. I don't enjoy going out on Easter. Everywhere is just so crowded. I have a recipe for b'que hamburgers that I fix in the crock pot. I can make them up on Saturday night and then put in on when I go to church and we can have a mid afternoon meal. Real easy of chips, fresh veggies and dip and knowing my nephew he will bring one of his favorite chocolate pies. They are a fairly young couple, one child and their life revolves around him and his sports. He is good and they live in a small town and they have had these traveling elite sports leagues for years. Well they cost a lot of money and now they find themselves overextended. I feel that just my husband and I and our daughter and the three of them isn't going to make me over extend myself like I did at Christmas with having almost 30 here. And we don't have to set up tables in our family room. Just enjoy ourselves at the kitchen table. They know my house won't be immaculate. Their's isn't either. So no pressure. I am trying to encourage him to go on a diet. He always considered himself the black sheep of his family. This was one case of the older child having to live up to the standard the younger child was setting. So he felt like an outsider. My youngest daughter was the same way so we have a lot in common. I haven't fixed this recipe in a long time and look forward to it. It brings back such memories though. I always fixed a double recipe of burgers and triple recipe of b'que sauce and would take all the remaining sauce over tto Mom's and she would keep it as a recipe for spaghetti, or other sauces. She's not with us anymore but there are so many things in each day that remind me of her. If your Mom is still living, give her a hug and tell her you love her more than anything.

Joyce, Indiana
  • WifeofPastor
    WifeofPastor Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies.
    I'm trying to learn how to skim postings as I don't have time to read every word. I made a couple of notes as I was scanning through from yesterday.

First thank you Joyce for sharing your Mom's experience and having to give up playing for Church services, nice to know I'm not alone in this struggle in knowing when to quite something I love... I might not be the best pianist but I love playing for the congregation singing.

gbutterfly - a few have already suggested to stop running and walk. I had surgery on my left knee to remove a chunk of the meniscus (sp)... I can't run as I'm an amputee, I know there are a lot of amputees who can run, but I am not able too and now I can't due to my left knee now. So WALK girl, you can still get a work out use a brisck pace, and it is very satisfying.

Cindy - congratulations on 33 yrs this year 2nd time around. I too feel very blessed to have lucked out 2nd time around and reach 23 yrs this year and I am spoilt rotten. ;-)

Michele121212... I don't have MS but i do understand the frustration of being diagnosed with a condition that you have no control over... last year I was diagnosed with FMS and CMP after years of treating chronic pain... nice to know it isn't all in my head but still tough to realise I have no control over it... so take care and welcome, I did notice one other lady say she has MS so will be a good source of help and support for you I'm sure.

I'm late going to bed again... and still have to get up at 6:00 am and tomorrow is bath day so only time to do my stretches, not time for my weights. No walking on the treadmill either tomorrow as I have a genealogy group to go to in the evening so If I don't talk tomorrow I probably won't be back on here until Thursday.

Have a great few days everyone...
    Ronnie
    PA, Saskatchewan,
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Happy mon!!
    Love the joke for today,thanks for sharing.
    Gonna be 50 today.
    HUGS
    jane

Happy ♫ Birthday ♫ to ♫ you ♫ Jane ♪

catch up later; I am really tired too night ~

Plano Teral :flowerforyou:
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies :flowerforyou:
    Alison:love: wishing you a speedy recovery,take care of yourself now
    Sylvia:heart: love your daily dose of laughter, I look forward to them. You r such a fabulous grandma
    Joyce :flowerforyou: great job defeating the “Chocolate”

Rori :flowerforyou: where are you?
    Carol:flowerforyou: you work so hard and yet find time for us, thanks
    Gloria:flowerforyou: Lizplus:flowerforyou:
    Cindy in OK:flowerforyou: Kayzoola:flowerforyou:
    Margaret :flowerforyou: the nutritionist advised to increase dairy( which I love) and Calcium and vitamin D supplements.

Jb in Portland :drinker: super Monday Moods poem
    Momsamodel :drinker:
    Katla:flowerforyou: thanks for the detailed input, am going to check them out. Happy you had a great time with your son:smile:
    Meg :flowerforyou: so nice to see you! Take care!
    Michelle :heart: on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I am doing weight training with cardio warm up and cool down. Tuesdays and Thursdays are Yoga days. Saturday is long run between 5 to 10 km.Sunday is a walk or rest or easy stretches.You think I should add segments of cardio after weights?
    It was one of those handheld gadgets!
    :flowerforyou: Deedee!!!!!! :drinker: Yanniejannie !!!! :drinker: Margaret !!!!!
    Sandy !!!!!! :smile:
    Skuehn :bigsmile: you sound so encouraging
    Amanda :bigsmile: the babies are so cute!
    Janemartin:flowerforyou: :love: :drinker: Happy Birthday!
    Cherilbeverly :flowerforyou: love your pic
    Hope all of you have a great day
    Anamika from Mumbai
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,644 Member
    Options
    Sylvia – the lemon pepper noodles sound divine! I’ll be looking for them at Trader Joes! Glad to hear there may be a way to change what you do in your pottery studio to make it work for you! :smile:

Ronnie – thanks for telling us a bit about you – it is great to hear of an understanding boss! :smile:

Gbutterfly – welcome, I can’t give you any help – but someone will be able to!:smile:

Heather - great job on keeping weight steady while away :wink:

Patty – glad to hear DGD is doing better!

Alison – sounds like you are finding a little time to take care of you – good job! :flowerforyou:

Anamika – Oh what a drag; sending good thoughts your way to help you find your way! :smile:

Tigress – congrats on the pound down and lower blood sugar!

Liz – your dancing gal has me smiling! Sorry to hear about DMIL

Michele 121212 – welcome!

Carol – loved the idea of your daughter and you playing chase in the backyard! So awesome you could do the hills! Also loved the high firm round bum story!!!! :laugh:

JB – love the Marvelous Monday poem!

Jane – Happy birthday!!!

Sandy – great job on 2 lbs gone!

Well today was a super busy day! and I am exhausted, so would love to share - but HAVE to go to bed! nighty night
    Kim in N. Cal
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Jane Happy birthday for yesterday :flowerforyou:

:smile: Hi everyone, sorry I'm not logging as often as I should be, I'm hoping that if I move from full time to part time work, I'll have more time to catch up.

I'm not in any great rush to leave work, I need to work things out financially etc. Also, there are a lot of changes at work at the moment - two people leaving and two new starters, so things may settle down. I love my job, it's just that we have so many other things to do now. Our objectives have to be 'stretching' or we don't get a pay rise next year. There are so many meetings as well that it's hard to do our 'real job'.:grumble:

:flowerforyou: I have today off work to go to my grandsons birthday party! :drinker: I can't believe he's 9 years old already, where do the years go? It's scary that time is going by so quickly. It's not his birthday until Saturday, but his party is today, it's at the Bowling Alley, so I'll be helping to supervise about 10 or so 9 year olds - sounds fun :bigsmile: :bigsmile: There must be a room where the kids can eat the party food either before or after bowling. He's a lucky little boy, last year his party was at a place called cheeky monkeys where the kids could let off steam in a safe "jungle" environment lots of climbing and slides etc I was so jealous - If I'd been a bit thinner I'd have gone in and joined them! :bigsmile:

Well I'd better make a start on the day, lots to do before I go to the party.

Have a good day everyone

Viv York UK - where spring is supposed to be on its way - but think it's got lost!
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Morning everybody! :flowerforyou:
    Cynthia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,294 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone!

DH off to cricket today with his friend. At last it's stopped raining!

My yoga friend is arriving in an hour for a session as it is Easter break. Then we will have tea and a catch up. Lovely! :bigsmile:

We had sad news yesterday Bob Geldorf's daughter has died. He used to live near us in Kent and a neighbour knew him, so feel so sad for his family. Awful. I dreamt about it last night. As a parent you can imagine what he is going through. He said he was "beyond pain".

Anamika - don't be discouraged. You have been amazing with your running and I am really jealous of your blood pressure!:love:

Hugs for all those with MS, bone problems, lung troubles, aches and pains, griefs and other draining problems. :heart: :heart: :heart:
    It may sound a bit strange, but other people's lives and problems really help me to get my own into perspective. So, even when you have a rant, remember you are being very helpful to me and, I am sure, others.:bigsmile: :love: :heart:
    I love how we can share our lives across this big world. I have learnt so much from you all.:smile:

Heather in sunny and beautiful Hampshire UK

Happy Birthday Jane! ! ! ! !:flowerforyou: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello my lovelies

Blue skies here in London today. Plus, I carried 2 2litre bottles of water to work this morning without them emptying into my bag. Hurrah!

Happy belated birthday to Jane.

CityJane - I too am deeply saddened by the death of Peaches Geldof. Two babies under the age of two - how awful for them.

I am now going to eat my apple and get on with some work. I have hard boiled egg, baked beans and spinach to look forward to for lunch. I shall eat it cold and hope that it settles well.

Have a good day please.

Love to all.

Amanda x
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Yesterday was an awful day for me! I have some major water damage in my basement (again, just in a different place):sad: ! My budget is getting smaller for the things I really want to do:frown: ! The guys who were supposed to come to give quotes on my deck and landscaping didn`t make it, we had an inch and half of rain yesterday morning:grumble: , water was just standing in the yard...it was just a dreary day! They are coming later in the week. Construction guys will be here today at 9am..I have an early meeting then have to rush back home to let them in (my dog is so not happy with people in the house:angry: ). I tried working from home yesterday and Noel voiced her displeasure all day by barking:explode: . Today, a landscape guy is coming at 1 pm, the plumber is coming at 2pm, I think I might have scheduled them too close together:embarassed: :ohwell: . I keep telling myself that all this chaos will be worth it in the end, and geez it was just the first day...ACK.....

Jane Martin:smile: Happy belated birthday:flowerforyou: !!! I hope you had a wonderful day!!!

Time to head out the door! Have a wonderful day ladies!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,755 Member
    Options
    well i got 10 1/2 hr sleep thats the good thing.. I have gotten out of weighing myself and eating everything in sight.. and i understand it has been a rough few months,so I will try and not beat myself up and take bay steps to get back on track..
    I am sitting having lemon water and getting stuff together for the DH dinner and his lunch tomorrow.
    I am just worn out.. I know I have been busy and today it is raining. today is our long day at work, and it is double booked so we will be running all over the place...
    spoke with my SIL last night, her SIL stopped over yesterday...Jeans brother died of an aortic anyuresm,,Joan that is the SIL told them that Scott (her DH) Jeans brother was complaining of chest pain, but they didnt think anything about it. he said maybe it is from when Wally( the very nasty brother)kicked him in the chest with a steel toed boot... well he kicked him right in the chest where his heart is and that could have weakened it..can you imagine?that that man could have killed his brother? well I wouldn't put it passed him, he is a total wack job and needs phyciatric care.. but wont get it...
    well off to get ready for work.. ta ta for now...
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hi to All, Have tried to go back and read but only got back a page or two.

Viv York UK, It’s great that you love your job and have the opportunity to go part time instead of full. I hope your grandson had a wonderful party.

Jane I hope you had a great birthday and an even better year!

Joyce Indiana, I love watching Dancing with the Star’s. I agree with your assessment, the best was last. I do like Candace and I also like Danika.

Sandy ON, I too have been working hard on acting how I want to feel and agree some times are easier. I just keep trying.

Saturday we had a Yoga class at the Y and I really loved it. I want to keep doing it, the Y is working on classes but one is going to be on Tuesday evening, which I work behind the desk so the Saturday one, if we keep it, will be the only one available to me. I have a Yoga DVD at home, I will have to take a look at it.
    The DGD seems to be on the road to recovery. She went all day yesterday with no Benadryl and only a few hives. Thank you all for your well wishes.
    Still having problems with logging. Trying again today, I know it helps me. I've had a lot of trouble sleeping now that I can no longer take Ambian. Last night I took 3 Benadryl and slept pretty good. I guess I'll have to talk to the doctor to see what options I have. I know the Tylenol PM can cause liver damage, I'm not sure about Benadryl.

I wish I could go back and read more posts but I have to get to work,
    God bless and have a healthy day,
    Patty, Cincinnati OH
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Rise and shine, shine, shine (and good day to those who have been up and shining for hours),

Slept A LITTLE better last night than I have in months so I'm going to embrace and enjoy. I'm actually looking forward to my T25 workout this morning. It's the DVD I most enjoy and I plan to take it up a notch, or several, this week. :happy:

Not sure if I'm going to get my spring breaker motivated to do much but I won't be too disappointed since I have so much to do around the house. Also need to go through some of my mom's old clothes since I told Purple Heart to come tomorrow.

Have a great day everyone!

Gloria in Metro Detroit
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    DeeDee: ACK indeed! Hope today’s better. :flowerforyou:
    Alison: So glad you slept well; you need it! :drinker: And glad you’re cutting yourself some slack. How awful about that kicking, whether or not it contributed to his death. Can’t somebody get a restraining order on that guy?? :noway:
    Patty: good idea to talk with the doctor. Hope s/he can help. :flowerforyou:

Took a friend to the hospital for tests, walked my dog briefly and have been working all morning, putting out fires that weren't necessary in the first place. :grumble: Time for a power nap (there's an app for that....).

Cynthia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Jane:flowerforyou: .

Deedee so sorry about your flooding. Part of our basement floods if the downspout gets knocked loose for whatever reason. Clean-up after water :sad: Hope your day is going better today.

Gloria motivating me to look to donate more clothes.

I watched Dancing with the Stars too. This is the first year in all the seasons it has been on that I am watching it. Watching the woman who lost her legs dance her salsa last night is truly awe inspiring.

Today I will continue to eat a high fiber diet, go for a walk on this glorious day, and continue to work on my grief using a book called The Grief Recovery Book as a guide, so tomorrow I will wake up to a healthier tomorrow.

2014: contentment
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It is sunny and beautiful outside, temp already 46 and I don't want to work. AUGH!!!!
    I just had to get that out.
    Patty, Cincinnati OH