WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2014

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    well except for yesterday morning, I just laid low yesterday...,did make dinner and lunch for DH , even stayed while he went to visit his dad, the Selleck's, Jean and her mom sent me the most beautiful multicolor rose arrangement for a thank you for helping with everything this weekend. I told them totally unneccesary ,but beautiful...
    just waiting for my dad to wake up and I will all him and make sure he makes an appt to go to dr, I dont have to be to work until 12:30 so if I need to take him the morning I will.
    my kidney still bothering me,but not as much as yesterday..
    I havent done well with logging and exercising lately,but life has thrown me a curve ball, and I will try to get back on the right track...
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Katherine :smile: Welcome to this wonderful group!!! My husband passed away 16 years ago, it`s a club nobody wants to be a part of:brokenheart: :cry: !! It gets easier with time:flowerforyou: !

Reba :smile: Welcome to you!!! You share your name with my favorite aunt:love: !!! Good for you getting your walk in!!! I`m out every morning for a good walk, starts my day off right:bigsmile: !

Cherry Tere :smile: 6.4 pounds…woo hoo:bigsmile: !!!! Congrats to you!!!

Cindy :smile: The new table sounds fabulous!!! I love the shabby chic look!!!

Katherine (Shaynelle) :smile: Welcome!!!! Sometimes I feel like an exhausted slug too:tongue: ! I usually try to take the dog out for a walk when I feel myself fading fast, sometimes it works to perk me up, sometimes not. Are you taking anything for the depression?

Donna :smile: Welcome!!! I have green smoothies sometimes for dinner, some are veggies and some are fruit, some days I just don`t want to see a green drink:sick: !

Tigress :smile: On Thursday I had no idea what day it was, I was talking on the phone and the guy said he would call tomorrow and my response was, tomorrow is what day:huh: :laugh: ? Hope you get your protein pancakes today!

Jane Martin :smile: Oh my Violet is getting to be a big girl now:love: !!! I love her new shorter hair cut!!! What a wonderful thing she has done to help!!

Jb :smile: You are the gardening Queen:bigsmile: !!! Congrats on that pound leaving!!!

April :smile: Welcome!!! Come in often, you`ll get lots of support here!

Renny :smile: I was up this morning at 4:15:angry: . How is hubby doing:flowerforyou: ?

Alison :smile: Sometimes our bodies have a way of making us take care of ourselves:flowerforyou: . Have you had this kind of pain before? Are you sure you don`t need to check with a Dr.?

Lila :smile: So good to see your post!!! 3 hours of yard work:noway: , that`s a fantastic workout!!!

Yanniejannie :smile: Bruce Springstein:love: ….and you`re debating:huh: . Mother Nature is amazing…there is a nice green glow on the trees, little baby leaves popping out!!!

Shirley :smile: Welcome!!! Hope you`ll pop in often and chat!!

Katla :smile: Enjoy the wonderful time with your son:love: !!!

Sylvia :smile: Love the joke:laugh: !!! Also love the “pearl of wisdom”! Oh dear, maybe it`s not a good idea for just you taking the grandkids swimming, you don`t need to be stressed:noway: !!! Every once in a while my two granddaughters will get into it with each other...I give them “the look”:huh: :laugh: and they usually behave! Your dinner sounds delish!

Kay in NW WA :smile: So glad to hear the good news on the biopsy:flowerforyou: !!!

Margaret :smile: Wow, sounds like you got lots of good information from the class! Water:drinker: and coffee:drinker: !!

Kim in N.CAL :smile: Congrats on the NSV:bigsmile: !!! Compliments always give me an extra boost!!

Ronnie :smile: Welcome!!! My body is older than my mind:laugh: !!! Sounds like your hubby has your best interests in mind:love: !!!

Cynthia :smile: Hoping that this a good week for everyone too:flowerforyou: !!!

Gbutterfly :smile: Welcome!!! You`ll get lots of support here!!! I just walk for exercise and so far no injuries for me! Lots of ladies here will have more ideas for you!

Mindy :smile: Congrats on getting rid of a pound:bigsmile: !!! I like your trainers sayings!!! I also like your saying, about sunshine and BBQ`s:tongue::laugh: !!!

Heather :smile: Congrats on being up only a few ounces…you`re doing fabulous!!!

Amanda:smile: I have a fear of my water bottle opening into my bag, think I`ll just start carrying it in my hand from now on! Hopefully you won`t have to stay late today!

Sorry for everyone I missed! I`m thinking of you all and wishing you well:heart: !!!

Have a wonderful Monday!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in dreary and rainy NC:frown:
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    I'm not sure I'm going to take the kids swimming anymore, unless I can get another adult to come with me. It's too hard for one person to watch three very active kids. (The lifeguard had her eyes closed part of the time, so I didn't have any confidence in her to help me keep them safe.).

Sylvia

Yay for attempting that even ONE time. I have a hard time taking my ONE SON without feeling stressed.
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello vit F
    I definitely need my dose today!
    Heather, yes the Scottish Symphony orchestra were playing in Mumbai over the weekend. Unfortunately couldnt make it :grumble:
    Well over the weekend had gone for a health checkup and was confident I would have a great result, but felt like a deflated balloon.:sad:
    My blood pressure was down from the previous check 101/ 60 :laugh:
    but body fat percent was 44%. Visceral fat is up to 10%, previously it was 9. I know I'm fitter than I have been in many many years and stronger too. Yes even my bone density has gone worse from - 0.5 it is reduced to - 1.8.:grumble:
    Now I'm wondering where to begin, I need to get rid of the fat and improve bone density. I have been suggested supplements for bone health and critical about my diet:noway: :sad:
    Need to work out a plan. Mulling over it. Suggestions are needed .
    I have not been able to read all the posts, so sending my best wishes to all of you. Warm welcome to all the new ladies and hugs to all my old friends.
    Anamika from Mumbai:flowerforyou:
  • gmom316
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Yay for not having to rush a boy out the door to school today. Spring break this week. No big plans, just taking it "one day at a time" like we have been.

In the middle of LOTS of projects. Making Aaron a "grandma photo book". Went through almost every photo since he was born and will sort through the best of them to create the book for Walgreens or CVS or whoever has the best price to print out.

Week 3 of T25 starts today. Also going to do better at watching my portion sizes, even though I'm logging.

Happy day to all!

Gloria in soggy Metro Detroit....but at least all the snow is gone.
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hello 50+ ladies! I've been around for a couple of years and am staying for the foreseeable future - any friend pings of supportive, like minded 50+ fantastic women (yes we are aren't we?) most welcome.:flowerforyou:
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Good Monday morning ladies, I have my cup of decaf tea and my feet covered so here goes.

Today is weigh in day and I lost another pound, so I'm happy, but happier that my blood sugar hasn't been above 160 in more than 2 weeks. My average is 114. I have lowered my Lantus from 50 units to 30 units. I know once I start walking again I will have to lower it to 20 units or end up bottoming out.

Last night I made garlic shrimp pasta for dinner, of course no pasta for me, just the veggies and shrimp. DH made pasta for his, and it sounded like a bear was eating it. Lol. I had to stop my self from laughing. I just said " good dear" and he shook his head and growled, with his mouth full. Of course his didn't have zucchini in it, he draws the line at to many veggies. I have leftovers so I'll add more zucchini and bean sprouts(my pasta) to it and eat it for lunch.

Michele- I am she who sleeps with cats, I miss them when we travel for art shows, but some days in wish we had gotten the king size bed. I find it hard to believe that DH used to have a full size bed and we slept in that. I always had a queen.
    Even if I just like someone else's diary I always read it. Some of the items I don't know what they are(usually our British friends food). As long as they are logging that's a good job.

Dee Dee- yes I was wondering what I was going to have for breakfast, protein pancakes it is, maybe with strawberries. Great idea!

Now that I said that, time to cook. Bbl. Tigress in GA
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Bumpin!
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    :smile: Good Morning ladies. Well I am up 4 pounds this morning. I know I have not been good the last couple weeks. My dad's passing has hit me harder than I expected it to. But today is a new day and a new beginning. So going to start from here and take it one thing at a time. This cold has really kicked my butt. I am feeling some better today and back to work. Hope you all are having a nice day and remember each of us are important. Blessed! Vicki GI NE
  • LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday To All You Gorgeous Ladies :happy:

***Dee :flowerforyou: ***Gloria :flowerforyou: ***Anamika :flowerforyou: ***Grandmallie :flowerforyou: ***Patty :flowerforyou: ***Amanda :flowerforyou: ***Heather :flowerforyou: ***Mindy :flowerforyou: ***Cynthia :flowerforyou: ***Gbutterfly, {welcome to the group! :flowerforyou: } ***Joyce :flowerforyou: ***Ronnie :flowerforyou: ***R1cksy,{ welcome to the group! :flowerforyou: } ***Sylvia :flowerforyou: *** Carol { I usually copy my post then post it that way if it doesn't come thru you just hit Reply then paste it on...I have lost many posts before I did this!! :flowerforyou: } *** Katherine, { Welcome to the group! :flowerforyou: } *** Michele :flowerforyou: *** Sue :flowerforyou: ***Jane,{ Violet is a very pretty name and she looks sweet with her new haircut ! :flowerforyou: }
    ***Kim :flowerforyou: ***Margaret :flowerforyou: ***Kay, { So glad your son's procedure went well!:flowerforyou: } ***Katla :flowerforyou: ***Shirley { Welcome to the group! :flowerforyou: } ***Yanniejannie :flowerforyou: ***Lila :flowerforyou: ***Beth :flowerforyou: ***Rebamae, {Welcome to the group! :flowerforyou: } ***April, { Welcome to the group! :flowerforyou: } *** Jb :flowerforyou: ***Tigeress :flowerforyou: *** Donna, { Welcome to this great group! :flowerforyou: } ***Cindy :flowerforyou: *** Tere, { Congrats on your lbs lost!! :flowerforyou: } ***Rita :flowerforyou: *** Bonnie :flowerforyou: *** Gail :flowerforyou:
    *** Megblair :flowerforyou: *** Brenda :flowerforyou: ***Bjmcq :flowerforyou: *** Juanita :flowerforyou: *** Plano Teral :flowerforyou: ***

Yesterday we had a gorgeous day except for the cold wind...we took a drive to see DH Mom in the NH she is 89...she had pneumonia..and they can not keep her oxygen level up so she is on oxygen pretty steady....the lack of oxygen..we think...has affected her thinking...she is out of it a lot..plus she eats next to nothing..and cannot afford to lose anymore...so we think it is just a matter of time now.because the nurses say she has grown tired of fighting her ailments....
    I hope you all have a great day...log..drink..and exercise those thighs....

Take Care!!:happy:
    Liz from Halifax NS {Canada}
    868062a3p74g0ror.gif
  • gmom316
    Options

but body fat percent was 44%. Visceral fat is up to 10%, previously it was 9. I know I'm fitter than I have been in many many years and stronger too. Yes even my bone density has gone worse from - 0.5 it is reduced to - 1.8.:grumble:
    Now I'm wondering where to begin, I need to get rid of the fat and improve bone density. I have been suggested supplements for bone health and critical about my diet:noway: :sad:

Sorry, I got nutin'....except for my compassion. Our bodies sure do get "tricky" as they get older. Demand a "retest"!!:laugh:

But seriously, I just keep telling myself to just "do more" and "work harder". Hoping it will pay off one day soon.

xo- Gloria in Metro Detroit
  • gmom316
    Options
    Wow, that's some work to be proud of Liz!

It's SO hard for the elderly body to fight that pneumonia. Even if it seems to go away, it almost always comes back. Enjoy the time ya'll still have with her:heart:

xo-Gloria in Metro Detroit
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    It is raining a cold relentless rain here this morning. I didn't walk Storm so I guess I'll head to the gym this evening. I wanted to go this morning but it doesn't open on Monday until 7:00 and need to be on my way to work at 7:30 from my house. Boy did he (Storm) give me a case of guilt for not going for his walk.:ohwell:

Sylvia: I loved yesterday’s joke.:laugh:

Joyce: Congratulations for beating the chocolate urge! I broke down last night and had a Kit Kat bar. I logged it in as I was eating it and was within my calorie budget. So that was it for me eating last evening! When we had young men living with us they made it a point to be home on Sunday for dinner. They were so funny! Although we thought they would hate the idea of a full sit down dinner they would actually show up an hour before meal time and set the table. It was wonderful for us to have dedicated time, without a TV or cell phone, to share with them. I am sure you are enjoying time with your daughter as much as she is enjoying time with you.:flowerforyou:

Kay: Glad your son is coming home!:flowerforyou: Congratulations on the weight loss. Mine made me feel great too! I know it was because it was my first week back on track, so this week I am really going to concentrate on water intake to at least 6 glasses of water each day and increasing intensity of my walks and exercise.

Mindy: Weekends are hard for me too! :grumble: I plan stuff to do no matter how mundane (like clean the bathrooms, change out the linen closet, etc.) when I don’t have other social plans because I would end up in front of the TV snacking!

Vicky: :flowerforyou: My Dad passed away 2 years ago and I am still grieving a bit. I decided to concentrate on our really funny moments, the realization that death is a part of life, and keeping him in my heart. I am pretty sure I have at least one mental conversation with him every day.

I won't be logging anymore today have a great one ladies!

Tere
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,

I too am up .50 pounds this week. Maybe because I slowed down with the cold I had last week. This only makes me more determined to be careful. My ticker was still showing 10 lbs lost, but back to 9.5. Maybe it is just more muscle. :laugh:

Heather, your workout regimen is great, I am inspired to do more, but without injuries. I have many joint problems, bulging disks, etc. I have gotten used to some level of pain, but everything I read points to exercise. I also have. DH who is fit, he is 5'6" and 138 pounds of lean body at 60 years old. Keeps me very inspired and is so helpful with my workouts. God really blessed me after bad first marriage. We will celebrate 33 years together in July.

Anamika, I was diagnosed with osteopenia in my back a few years ago. I also have arthritis and disk problems. I started doing strength training regularly and taking more calcium. My doctor approved of these changes. I haven't had another bone density test yet, but weight bearing exercise appears to be the prescription. Take care and be determined to get better.

I am out of time. Welcome to everyone new. I have read the posts and wish everyone well. For those who have gained a bit, don't give up and stay determined.

Hug to all!

Cindy in OK :flowerforyou:
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Liz, thank you for the flower! I love the dancing lady!

Cindy in OK
  • michele121212
    michele121212 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Happy to see this post. I'm back after a few very frustrating years health wise and have discovered I have MS [which explains A LOT of my struggles]

I'm very focused now on everything I put in my mouth [new for me].. where it comes from and how it's processed [goal - going for as little 'processing' as possible.

So I'm looking for as much support as possible since I'm so late getting here and getting SERIOUS about my health.

Happy Spring Lovelies :smooched:
  • Kayzoola
    Kayzoola Posts: 60
    Options
    My weedend walks added up to around eight miles this time. Today is body pump at the gym.

Waving at Kay in Wa. Hello neighbor!

Gbutterfly, I have tried to add running into my exercise regime twice. The first time, I messed up my right knee. The second time, In my late 30s, I messed up my left knee. That one has remained a problem to this day, almost 20 years later. I loved running. It was so efficient and it was great to get outside to do it, but I had to give it up. You mentioned you did weight training before. Are you still using weights? I have found with my bad knee, building up the supporting muscle is very, very important. For aerobic exercise, I do the Les Mills Bodycombat class my gym offers. It seems to do the job for me. I still miss running, though!

Anamika, I was able to increase my bone density with weights, maybe also the hopping on one leg we do in some of the aerobics classes at the gym. I hope you can build up your bones too. Take your vitamin D!

Kayzoola (PNW USA)
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I am going to try to remember what I posted last night before the computer ate it...

We had a good trip, albeit much to hectic for my liking. I hadn't seen my parent since Christmas so it was good to be there. One thing that seems to happen when I'm there is too much sitting. I rarely just sit, so when everyone plopped down after dinner to watch TV, I sat for a few minutes then got up and began walking in place like I do at home. However, it was delicious outside so I ended up going outside and running through the yard. Eventually my daughter came out, too, and ended up chasing me through the yard looking at the bushes that were blooming and examining the tree buds up close. Even though she is 23, it was a lot like when she was little and I used to take her out to explore. I got lots of good running in--especially since they live in the mountains and there are virtually no flat areas in their yard. It was a real treat to discover that I could run uphill and not get winded! I also got to spend a little time with my 3-year-old grandniece and niece. The 3-year-old is a trip! She is full speed all the time and is 33 pounds of pure muscle. I used her for my "weights" for lots of overhead presses. It's funny that she is afraid of her uncles who both have beards, but adores my son who is taller, bigger, and also has a full beard.

On Saturday, we crossed the mountain and visited the school. I've been to better open houses and I've been to worse, but I swear that engineers talk in a language that is not English! My son was not too impressed with the school, but it was mostly because of surface things, like the dropped ceilings being too low (I guess if you're 6'3", even an 8 foot ceiling could be claustrophobic.), and the dining hall being small. I kept telling him that it was a small school so they didn't NEED 3 dining halls! It would be a good fit for him because of the size and the location, but it is not as prestigious as the other school he is considering. He also knows that it will come down to the financial aid package as far as the decision goes. He did get to eat in the dining hall so he could actually experience the gluten free options that they had. After coming back down the mountain, we stopped at my parents for a short while I got to see my 7-year-old grandniece, too. Oh, and I saw my brother and sister-in-law, too. We finally got home around 10:30 p.m. I must say that my behind was sick and tired of being in the car. I was also a little depressed because I miss my mountains so much and it makes me sad to leave them.

I did pretty good on the food and I walked a LOT with most of it being uphill and steps on Saturday. However, I think I am being rewarded for my weekend with a cold sore. I just noticed it about the time I started typing this and haven't gone to look at it in the mirror.

Today begins another long week. I finally admitted out loud to my daughter that I am simply weary of working two jobs. I don't dislike either of them, but I feel that all I do is work and haul my son to doctor appointments and to work. I can't seem to find enough waking hours to get done the things that need to be done, much less the things I want to do. I'm also aware that I'm lucky to have the jobs and be able to make ends meet and try to focus on that.

Welcome to all of the newcomers! This is an awesome group of ladies with lots of combined years of experience and a wealth of common sense.

I suppose I ought to actually work for a bit...

Carol in dreary and rainy NC

Addition: I forgot my funny NSV story: Last night I was at church to pick up my son from youth group and needed to tell the pastor something before I left. I had to wait on someone else to finish talking first and, when she finished, she (a small fit woman in her thirties) turned around and said that it looked like I was losing another five pounds every five minutes and commented on how toned I looked. I told her thanks but that I'd lost only six pounds since Christmas, to which she replied, "Well, I noticed your butt this morning and I wish mine was as high, firm, and round as yours!" I just told her thanks, but my pastor looked at me and said, "Well, that was just a little TMI!" Good thing we're good friends!! :laugh:
  • msT96
    msT96 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP ~ actually started on March 31st ~ so I guess I met my goal of getting started. My April goal is to continue eating a healthy diet & starting my exercise program again after injuring my left achilles. I've been reading through every ones posts & I want to congratulate all those who've met their goals ~ super job! I think this just may be the place I need to come to for encouragement & support. :happy:

BTW ~ is there a way to bookmark this so I don't have to search for it all the time. I'm afraid one of these days I'm gonna forget what it was called & never find you fine ladies again.

Dana in MO
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

May I mention the merit in marvelous Monday?
    A masterpiece of moderation;
    The day when a magical message comes to mind,
    Melting memories of monstrous weekend mischief.
    The motive is motion;
    Meals will be measured;
    The method is mercy;
    Let's be mindful,
    And merry!

:smile: jb in foggy Portland, OR