WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2014

Options

Replies

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    This morning I'm thinking how much I really enjoy this little band of ladies! I look forward to reading about what's going on in everybody's lives. Sometimes when I can't sleep I get out of bed and look at the group just to see if anyone has posted anything new. I don't have the umph to respond to everyone, and I hate typing on this ipad, it only shows me the last 5 messages when I'm in the reply screen, but I do think about you all and care deeply about each and every one of you and I'm truly grateful for all the caring and support you have shown me. To those of you who don't get to respond individually, don't feel so bad. Just read it all and take whatever you can from what the rest have to say and tell us what is going on with you. Be assured that lots of people are reading it and caring. We are all behind you!

I think I'm feeling a little sappy and sentimental this morning. I talked to my sister last night and we were remembering stuff about our dad who passed away about 6 years ago. We were also talking about this lung/liver illness that is apparently genetic in our family, and my sister said my dad had some very serious liver problems in his later years and they never did find out what was causing it. I wasn't living close by and didn't know all of what was going on, but I knew he had some health problems. So, things are starting to fall into place a little. I emailed my sister and younger brother a detailed explanation of A1-A deficiency and links to get a free test kit and asked them to forward it to our other siblings. She said she has decided not to get tested yet, but my older brother has ordered the test and my baby brother is still on the fence. My sister is concerned with trying to get health insurance and having to disclose it as a preexisting condition (I thought that wasn't an issue anymore), but she is sending the info to her daughters to let them decide if they want to get tested. It seems to me that it is important to know so you can take steps to protect yourself, like avoiding environmental triggers and getting more regular check ups.

I was talking to my potter friends on Saturday and they were giving me advice on ways to work cleaner in my studio so I don't have to give up pottery. I'm still hoping I can make it work.

Well, I've got to get busy. Have a great Monday!

Sylvia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,067 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

Deedee :drinker: .

Liz sorry about your mother in law not an easy time for you.:flowerforyou:

Vicki sorry about your father. Loss is of a loved one is hard.:flowerforyou:

Bbl Tigress on weight loss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anamika great blood pressure reading. I think you are on the right track looking at your diet to help with bone density. What kind of diet does your doctor advise? The percentage body fat is a hard one for me because I have had three different readings with wide variations.

Kim hope to be joining you in the garden soo.

Jane much to be proud of with Violet’s gift of hair.

Sylvia love the jokes.:laugh:

Carol sorry about your post. Frustrating.

Still digesting information from the class I took. I also started a book on grieving and loss, I have some work to do on that score.

Today I will continue to treat my body well and work on my grieving issues, so I wake to a healthier tomorrow.

2014 word contentment
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,943 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP ~ actually started on March 31st ~ so I guess I met my goal of getting started. My April goal is to continue eating a healthy diet & starting my exercise program again after injuring my left achilles. I've been reading through every ones posts & I want to congratulate all those who've met their goals ~ super job! I think this just may be the place I need to come to for encouragement & support. :happy:

BTW ~ is there a way to bookmark this so I don't have to search for it all the time. I'm afraid one of these days I'm gonna forget what it was called & never find you fine ladies again.

Dana in MO

Welcome, Dana!

To find the thread, click on My Topics. The only problem is that it locks itself after 500 posts, and we have to start over. But if you go to the very last post of the locked thread, there will be a link to the new one. Then be sure and post in it so that it will be in your "My Topics."

Hope that helps.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Anamika: I have no advice on body fat and have never had mine tested. I can’t help wondering about how yours was tested. I’ve been taking Calcium Citrate and Vitamin D3 for bone health for more than a decade at the advice of my gynecologist. It helps me keep my bones strong. I saved the card he gave me with instructions on it. He said women in menopause need “Calcium 1500 mg daily, with vitamin D3 800 units daily and sent me shopping. According to his card milk has 300 mg calcium per serving + 100 units of vitamin D per serving. (In the US vitamin D is added to milk sold in stores.) I am lactose intolerant so milk is not an option for me. He said Calcium Citrate, which he recommends, is found in Viactive or Citracal+D. Calcium Carbonate is in Caltrate 600 plus or Oscal 500+ D. I have no idea whether these products are available in Mumbai. He had this information on the back of his business card, which I kept all these years. Your doctor would likely be able to advise you on products that are available in Mumbai. Cindy’s comments about weight-bearing exercise reminds me that was also part of his advice. Walking is the simplest form of that. Good luck :flowerforyou:

Gloria: Enjoy Spring Break with Aaron.:flowerforyou:

Yard Tigress: Congratulations on the improved blood sugar readings! You have made great progress for your health.:flowerforyou:

Liz: Your description of your mom’s situation reminds me of the time shortly before my mom passed. My mom had severe emphysema, which ultimately took her life. (Lifelong chain smoker.) At the end stages, she had low blood oxygen even while inhaling oxygen constantly, night panics, and ‘visits’ from family members long passed. Hugs to you and prayers for you both.:flowerforyou:

Michele: Welcome. My DH also has MS and there is another woman in this group with MS, Joyce, whose advice helped me understand and deal with his situation. You’ve found a good place for support.:flowerforyou:

Carol: Sounds like a great trip to see your family and preview a possible school for DS. All your moving and exercising amounts to a very impressive NSV in my book.:flowerforyou:

Diane: You “bookmark” by posting. Then go to Community and My Topics to find us again. You will have to look for your post to find where you left off.:flowerforyou:

JB: I love the poem. You are a creative woman.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: Good luck with your pottery. I hope you will not have to give it up. Great job alerting your family to possible lung problems in your family. It will be up to them how to respond.:flowerforyou:

Margaret: I love your daily goals!:flowerforyou:

DS visited over the weekend and we really enjoyed having him here. He and DH worked on the fishing boat for hours. Yesterday we got the fishing boat into the water for the first time since we brought it home last fall and took it on a short run. He is so excited and wants to go out and buy it needed accessories. A porta-potty is on that list; bless him.:heart:

Katla in foggy NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training when able.
    3. Find a way to have fun at least once every day.
    4. Water: Pay attention to water intake and drink frequently during the day.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,067 Member
    Options
    Allison just saw a blue heron on our walk. Thought of you.

So happy learned how to transfer from Google documentt to reply on our new tablet.. I hit control v. Yes! Simple pleasure.:smile:
    :heart:

Margaret
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today's joke of the day:

:happy:
    One day a rich famous man went to buy a sport car from a dealership. The price of the car was $80000 and the man had only $79998 to pay.

The sales associate insisted that the price is firm and it has to be $80000.

The man came out of the store and looked around and saw a poor man begging for help. He went toward him and introduced himself and asked if he is kind enough to lend him $2. The poor man asked the reason. He replied that he is going to buy a car. The poor man though for a moment and gave the man $4 and said: Please buy one for me too.
    :laugh: :laugh:

Sylvia
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I just have to tell you ladies, after my bottle of water flooding all over my bag this morning, I really didn't think I was going to love today. However, I have to tell you that everyone I've met today has just been so lovely!

That's my positive spin on the day. (Plus, only 35 minutes left until I should be able to go home).

Love to all.

Amanda x
  • BootCamper10
    BootCamper10 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm new here....:drinker:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy mon!!
    Love the joke for today,thanks for sharing.
    Gonna be 50 today.
    HUGS
    jane
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    <chorus> Hi, Bootcamper!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Michelle121212, welcome to our group. I also have MS so if you have any questions just PM or ask here. I hope I can help. I was diagnosed in 1997.

Rain, Rain go away:sad: We have had enough. Not a whole lot to say today, still trying to catch up on all the shows I put on my DVR 3 days last week. DirectV offers free premium channel weekends a lot and this weekend was HBO and Cinemax so we have quite a few movies saved now

Joyce, Indiana
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Night all. :flowerforyou:
    Cynthia
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone,

Welcome to all new ladies! I baked oatmeal today, one of my goals this month was a new healthy recipe. My Hubby loves anything with apples and cinnamon. I made Apple Crisp Oatmeal. The recipe is on Fountain View Kitchen web site. I made small changes using walnuts instead of almonds. I reduced the honey by adding some stevia. I put the recipe into MFP and it is 200 calories per serving. Really good dish. One goal met, :smile:

Have a great evening everyone,

Cindy in OK :heart:
  • Hammock
    Hammock Posts: 37
    Options
    How do I join this group?
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    bumping in again -- lots of rain in Atlanta today. Glad to be home again!

Gail
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of new ladies. Welcome all! This is an amazing bunch of ladies.

Hammock - you just joined by posting. Post as often as you want.

I only lost .2 lb this week. I'll take it. I have been successful getting my snacking back under control again. I did my new thing for exercise on the weekend. I went for a walk down at the lake. There is still tons of ice by the pier but it was so nice yesterday to get out and walk in the fresh air.
    This week I'm going to try a Zumba class on Tues night at the gym. It should be good for a laugh as I'm sure I was born with 2 left feet :laugh:

I have been working hard on acting how I want to feel. Some days are easier then others. I did go and pick up some Vit D in hopes that helps elevate my mood. Spring should be such a great time where everything comes alive again. It's just not that way for me.

Have a great night everyone! You all inspire me.

:heart: Sandy in ON
  • CHBRANDO
    CHBRANDO Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You just did. I am new too! Welcome!
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    hi ladies. I have no energy whatsoever tonight.....just got back from aqua zumba where we had a sub and omg was she a drill sergeant....gotta go to bed but at least I did it.

jane happy birthday.

Take care all Meg
  • CHBRANDO
    CHBRANDO Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good for you Meg! You did it!
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: Welcome to the newbies, please join in. Went to Water Works class again, good workout. I had a massage scheduled for tomorrow but will have to cancel as I have a previous commitment at church for library board. :sad: Cantata practice tomorrow night and I forgot to bring home my music. Sometimes I feel like my mind is swiss cheese while I am on this prednisone.

Jane - Happy Birthday!!!!:flowerforyou:

Animika - I would not worry too much about the body fat percentage. None of the tests for that are very accurate, they are just estimates. I take calcium and vitamin D on the advice of my doctor and my bone density improved over about a two-year period. Your running should also help with that.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD