WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2014

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Sandy - feel better fast. lol daughter! That's the way kids are. I had some jeans that I was going to get rid of. One time when we were in Paris I wore Jessica's jeans so I let her try them on first. Only one pair fit her!

Tigress - I fimsly believe that animals, cats or dogs, know when we don't feel good. They "act" a certain way around us...more gentle. Yet, when we're better, even if we don't know it, they do and they go right back to their old ways.

Mary - welcome and congrats on quitting smoking..even if that was the impetus. Yes for you doing those tapes.

barbie - that's so terrible about the gal you're subbing for! Great that that's one less thing they havae to worry about getting done as I know you'll do it. Good luck with tomorrow's class

Ronnie in PA - sounds like you DO have a busy week ahead of you.

Carol in NC - one time when Bryan was very young we went to FL to see MIL and FIL. They'd bought him this broken toy gun. We told him not to bring it home, but he put it into his duffle bag. Well, the airline (of course) confiscated it. For a broken toy guy (and it looked like a toy), they shipped it to us, only it went to Atlanta and then to PA (where we lived at the time). Then they had FedEx bring it to the house. All for a broken toy gun! I couldn't have cared less if they'd thrown it away.

katla - sure hope that fireplace company can help you

Kim - I'm so sorry your mom said something like that to you! I can't believe she didn't give you a heads up about her friend. And the lunch! Can you suggest a place to go to eat where you can also get something?

Joyce - one of our vehicles is a Saturn Outlook (I know that others make similar models). It has 3 seats, so 3 people can sit in the back, 2 in the middle (because of the door) and 2 in the front. You can fold down the second and third seats if you need to (which is what we usually do when we take the cats somewhere or need to transport a whole lot of things.). We do have a luggage rack on it, but honestly we've never used it. Just haven't had the need.

Did 50 minutes of the Biggest Loser Power Sculpt DVD today. Then I'm going to the soup kitchen to take a donation. See, Tuesday I went to play Rummikub. The gal who hosted it needs gluten free foods. Someone brought this dip that while gluten free also contains sour cream and she's lactose intolerant. I made this rice and chicken stir fry but instead of the rice I used quinoa. I'm going to give them the rest. Someone left the dip and since she can't eat it, she asked if I'd like it. While I really didn't, I took it and will donate it.

Tomorrow I'm planning to go to the deep water class. I'm going to try my new bathingsuit. Did I tell you that I ordered a new one like the one that the suitspinner ate? This way I can leave that one down at the condo and use the good one (which I wear more) up here. If we're down at the condo in the summertime, I many times do a water workout the day we leave. Of course, I don't have time to wash out the bathingsuit. But being chlorine resistantant, if I wear this one, even after a while it'll still hold its shape. I wore another one last time we were down there, I wonder if the cholrine ate it? So I'm going to try the new bathingsuit. I think it'll fit since it's the same style and size as my previous one, only a different color.

yanniejannie - how's your finger today?

After going to the soup kitchen today, I'm supposed to volunteer at the Green Room, then I'll probably go to Aldi and stop at PetSmart. Come home and make that cake. See, we're invited to a friend's house. They just moved and I know that the lady likes to entertain. Her hubby's birthday is Tuesday so I'll take a cake that I know he likes with me.

Viv - so sorry you didn't get the interview.

I think I'm STARTING to make some headway with Lance (remember, that's Jessica's cat that is diabetic? He doesn't like getting his insulin) Well, last night I went in there to sleep with them and he came up to me and let me hug him and brush him. This morning he went into the bathroom where the food and litter box are to eat. He saw me coming up with the syringe. I thought for sure he'd run away. He did hiss at me, but he let me give it to him. OK, after that he did run away. But he let me give it to him, which is a step. Albeit, a small step...but a step just the same.

Val - loved your advice to Kim about hugging herself. Wonderful! Yes, dd stands for darling daughter. Good job on the loss

Patty - congrats to your dd, you have a lot to be proud of. I don't think I've ever seen a 72oz cup. I do have a Bubba mug that is 54oz, but that's the largest I've ever seen

DeeDee - one of my problems with decorating the ouside of the house is that I don't know the different plants, what bloooms when, which are the kinds that bloom yearly without having to be replanted (are those annuals or perennials?). I know what I'd like, I just don't know what plants would do what I want. Good luck on your next interview

Gloria - I'm so impressed with your dedication to the T25

jane - have a great day

Beth - love your saying

Michele in NC
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I'm thankful it's Thursday
    The day before Friday
    Which means the weekend
    Is looming.

On this day I'll eat light
    And put up a good fight
    For a pound is now gone
    I'm presuming.

It's one that came back
    After last weekend's pack
    Of cake and libations --
    A party

At some point I'll see
    That weekends aren't free
    Oh yes, I'll be such a
    Smarty!

:tongue: :laugh:

:glasses: I'm busy as a bee again today, goodness me. Recording, cooking, laundry, gardening, dog walking, teaching. It's not quite 6:30AM and I'm thinking if I'd just get off of the computer I'd have time for yoga and dancing. :wink:

Have a "thunderous" Thursday! :bigsmile:

:smile: jb in another clear-sky Portland morning :flowerforyou:
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Good morning Lovely Ladies,

It is a beautiful day in Oklahoma. I think I need to step up my exercise. That half pound gained back is sticking. My Hubby eats the same thing I do and he has lost more weight than he wants to, but he works out harder.

Kim, your Mom reminds me a lot of my Mom. She wanted such control of me and said a lot of mean things to me. When Hubby and I married I think she was a bit jealous of my happiness. I was fortunate in that I loved my job, My Hubby, and was getting to travel a lot on vacations and business. I think we have to understand that hurting people hurt people, I have to remind myself of that often. It took a long to to learn that and forgive her. It took oceans of tears to get there. Hang in there and do give yourself a hug!

Dee, good luck with the landscape architect interviews.

I have read the posts and wish everyone well and a wonderful day.

Hugs,

Cindy in OK
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies. I'm back home and have brought my Granddaughter home with me. All my grandchildren are grown a couple of them married, I've been trying to get them to come up and visit with there Great-grandmother before she doesn't understand who they are. My mother-in-law doesn't always know us or where she is. Her memories of her childhood and early adult life are solid so I've been encouraging my granddaughter to ask her questions about the farm. She gets animated and laughs really nice to see.

New puppy is doing well … not sure if I mentioned that. My best friend, P.D. passed away a couple of weeks ago. She was almost 16. We adopted a puppy about 2 weeks ago. For my heart and as a companion for my other dog. She is almost house trained and has started going to the door when she needs out. We, of course, are staying very attentive and trying not to allow for accidents.

Sylvia - I love the jokes keep them coming …

Michele - I live in the Western North Carolina in the mountains about an hour from Asheville … where in the foothills are you?

I'm trying to get a handle on everyone, have a lovely day.

Bonnie in the Mountains of NC
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Well, I am feeling better about life in general. Must be because the snow is gone and I can get some some now! I raked my yard last weekend and found a flowerbed with a siberian lily blooming! That cheered me up, seeing flowers coming out. I have come to terms with worrying about my mom and DS. They created their own problems so must work out their own solutions. No use in me going crazy worrying about them when I can't do anything for them. But I still worry, just not as 'in my face' as it was. My dogs have been adopted by the neighborhood kids, well one of them anyway. They come over and ask if Wicket can come out and play! LOL! That is my black and white crazy shi-tzu. The kids in TN loved to play with her too. This dog loves kids and water (not in any particular order). I have to keep her away from puddles as she will prance right through them and splash everyone on purpose with her head! She sticks her face in the water and shakes her head under the water. Weird dog! The adopted Chiauha (SP?) has settled in just fine and befriended Wicket. Well, she had no choice as crazy Wicket would not leave her alone. My oldest Shi-Tzu Chewbaca just ignores the other two. Walking them is always an adventure!

Well, back to work!

Rita from sunny CT
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    <---- Pic for Throwback Thursday, my band in 2001. Me in big, black, blousy things trying to cover everything up lol. Weight probably 225, currently160 :bigsmile:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <---- Pic for Throwback Thursday, my band in 2001. Me in big, black, blousy things trying to cover everything up lol. Weight probably 225, currently160 :bigsmile:

You look great, but I'll bet you look even better now and feel better, too.
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies!
    Sunny but very windy in Kansas today. Oh, the Kansas wind I truly hate it.
    Ok that is my negative for the day!! LOL
    I am finally getting routine for both eating and walking. To bad it isn't as easy to get into the routines as it is to get out of the routines.

I really enjoy reading everyone's post to get to know each of you a little better. Hopefully, one of these days I will be able to immediately recognize your picture.

My plan for today:
    to stay out of the wind,
    eat good choices,
    walk to the DVD one minute longer than yesterday,
    wash and put away clothes
    and keep walking around the house - not a lot of "sitting" time.

I hope each of you have a gorgeous Thursday!!
    Talk to you tonight
    Reba in Kansas
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It's a super fantastic morning here. Beautiful weather!!!!!! This morning I got around early and FINALLY made it to the Y. It felt so good! I can't imagine why I was finding excuses not to go. But I intended to swim and once I got there I discovered that I forgot my swim bag, so I did weights and cardio instead.

The big soccer experiment last night didn't go too well. Hubby took off work early and picked up the grandson, took him to the soccer field, he got his new T-Shirt (he's on the green team and Ian is adamant that he hates the color green-he wanted blue) and the coach gave them 10 minutes or so of instruction and then they were supposed to play soccer. Hubby said poor little Ian didn't understand why the other kids took the ball away from him, and that he was supposed to try to get the ball away from them, and none of them understood which goal they were supposed to kick it toward. Ian got frustrated because he didn't get to kick the ball, and threw a crying fit. He's really good at those. Anyway, one of hubby's co-workers was there with his own granddaughter, so hubby was a little embarrassed. They left early. He's not sure Ian will want to go back next week. Poor little guy thinks he's the center of the world and doesn't understand why the other kids don't see it. We have to work on teaching him cooperation and consideration for others. He just turned 5, so he is the picture of selfcentered. I thought that hubby did pretty well, considering that he has not been around kids very much, and never alone on an outing with one. These are actually his step-grandchildren, so I'm sure he never thought he would be in a situation like this.

I have enjoyed reading about all your dogs. Rita, Wicket sounds wonderful! Bonnie, I'm so sorry to hear about P.D. It's hard to lose a best friend. Tell us more about the puppy! My puppy Bruno seems to be growing up. I've noticed he's spending less time on my lap, which is good because he's over 30 pounds now. And he's chewing up less stuff. Now that I've said that I'll probably find evidence to the contrary when I get home. He will be a year old next month. It will be sort of sad that he's not a puppy anymore, but he's turning into a nice little dog.

Gotta get to work! I hope you all have a great day!

Sylvia
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hello, I never realized that this thread was everyday :blushing: boy do I feel dumb. But I am happy to see it runs all month. I am getting a late start. My DH has been ill every morning for months. He has an apt with a GI doc. next month. It is like he has morning sickness . By the afternoon he is better. But I I know we will get him back on track.

Now just to share. I found these really not so tasty WASA bread at Publix. They are great to smear hummus on or to pop in micro to make mini size pizza. NO FAT or SUGAR and only 35cals. I even use them with my avocado salad. My diary is always open.

Hope everyone has a great day. Headed out for 3 to 5mi then mow the yard. Keep moving.

:heart: Patsy
    Lutz Fl
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,323 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    The meal was a blast!:bigsmile: The teenagers arrived all grumpy and stuck to their phones, then warmed up when they saw all the nibbles and dips! The spicy salmon surprised them, but my niece finished it in about 2 seconds! Then the chocolate fondue was a huge success. What a great way to get kids to eat fruit! Everything disappeared, but I have some Epoisses left to tempt me. I think DB was too full to make much of an attempt on it.
    I calculated I had consumed 720 calories, including 2 glasses of pink sparkling wine. Not too bad as I was too full to eat a snack this afternoon. So something left for this evening.
    It was very gratifying to see sullen teenagers melt and enjoy themselves.:love::drinker:

Now got to get my head around a trip to London tomorrow to see the delicious grandchildren. :heart: I will be taking up their Easter presents. For DGD a rattle and for DGS a set of tiny chocolate piglets. All are saddlebacks apart from one pink one. Delightful. I bought the set because it is the least chocolate for the most fun and you don't have to eat it all at once. Last year I gave him a non edible present, but now he is nearly 3 he is very clued up. His mum is very health conscious.

Spent the afternoon downloading some albums on to my tablet for the train. I am so relieved to have my phone working properly now, but wish I had bought one with more phone memory. It keeps telling me I'm running out of memory so I have to uninstall stuff or move it to internal storage. I was just too mean to get a more expensive one. The phone was free on a cheapish plan. Now I feel I would like an all singing all dancing one!:laugh:

Love to all. I couldn't sleep in the night so read my Kindle -" When Things Fall Apart". I find it very calming and reassuring and I did go back to sleep and slept well. :love:

Bye for now. Remember - Self Compassion. We are all in this together.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Heather UK
  • SueTN2
    SueTN2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon,

I'm rally glad to find this group of ladies closer to my age. It looks like most of you have had great success with your weight loss.

I'm Sue from TN.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kim in NCal: I had an uncomfortable relationship with my mom for years and we made great progress in her last few months. Now I have an uncomfortable relationship with my daughter at times. It is definitely a work in progress.:ohwell: I understand her stress as a working mom, but don’t understand her choice of husbands. On the good side, he’s a loving and attentive daddy and loves my daughter and granddaughter to distraction. :smile: On the bad side, he’s a loose cannon and can’t seem to hold a job. :grumble:

Joyce: Congrats on the weight loss. (Perhaps this is a second congratulations message from me, but it is a thing to celebrate.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: )

Yanniejannie: Sorry about the horse bite. I hope the feeling has returned to your finger.:flowerforyou:

Amanda: I used to work long days and had a long commute on top of that. I have sympathy. At least I didn’t have to work 6 days a week. I don’t know how you manage without falling into total exhaustion or getting sick. Hugs.:flowerforyou:

Val in London UK: Thanks for the reminder that affirmations do help in combating negative self-talk.:flowerforyou:

Michele: It sounds like you’re making progress with Lance the kitty. Thanks for your good wishes regarding he fireplace.:flowerforyou:

JB: I love the new poem! :flowerforyou:

Cindy in OK: You have great insight that people who are hurting inside tend to hurt others.:flowerforyou:

Rita: Glad to hear you’re doing better. Spring is a wonderful season.:flowerforyou:

Heather: Congratulations on a great party with the teens. I understand your desire for a phone with more memory. When can you upgrade? Self compassion is such a timely and needed reminder. Thank you!:flowerforyou:

We have a gorgeous day today, and nothing pressing on the calendar. I hope to put some fun into it. I’ve been to yoga and still need breakfast. Have a great day, everyone!

Katla in overcast NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training when able.
    3. Find a way to have fun at least once every day.
    4. Water: Pay attention to water intake and drink frequently during the day.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Took one day off from reading and had three pages to read!

Patceoh … my father took an honor flight to Washington, D.C. as a WWII vet. He considered it one of the most memorable moments of his life! Usually an unemotional man, he wept telling us about a young boy who came up to him at the Tomb Of the Unknown Soldiers and shook his hand for his service. So glad your husband enjoyed it.

Gloria … hang in there … weight loss can be painfully slow. Exercise is great… but counting calories is a must. Do you weigh your food/portions? I found a “serving size” to be quite an eye opener! And sometimes I'm not being honest in my logging ... little bites here and there DO count ... I might also suggest you move up from 1200cal. There are several links about that here on MFP. And you are exercising. My trainer hands out a nutrition sheet entitled "eat more to lose more." I find this to be true when I'm exercising. Just thinking out loud here....

DeeDee … you made me laugh! I need more fascination with all things related to cleaning!

Kim in N Cal …. Just shaking my head … we have a saying in my family …. “we put the ‘fun’ in ‘dysfunctional’”

Joyce … 175!! Fantastic!

Finally seeing some nice weather after snow on Tuesday! Just a few snow patches left. Time to get outside!
    Have a great day!
    Beth

Beth, my husband said when they got on buses in Baltimore,they had not 30-40 ppl there,but thousands,all clapping etc.They had young men from seniors in high school to college age with each vet.They were gone form 5am to 10 pm,so long day for all. Many were in
    Wheel chairs,so the young men worked hard.It's a class A organization.Worth looking up on line.My husband is always making someone laugh. He handed the ticket taker his Army ID which has a picture (required) & the guy asked if he had ID a bit more up to date?.:bigsmile: Long time since Korea!

Gloria,I have not lost a pd in 2-3 mos,now have gained 2.No clue as to what the problem is.I try to stay a couple hundred under my goal,thinking that would work.Who knows? What choice do I have,stick with my food plan,or plan to gain it all back.:grumble: Good luck.

Someone mentioned having a sore foot.Dr can help if it's gout.Very painful & comes on all at once.

Going to make chef salad for my supper........& spaghetti for husband.

Hope everyone has a good day.it cool here,but no snow or ice....so can't complain. Pat in Ohio
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Just popping in for a second...

Bonnie - I grew up in Marion, NC, also close to Asheville. In fact, was up there last weekend while you were at the coast.

Amanda (?) - You make me feel whiny when I complain about my 10 hour workdays. But, I can certainly empathize with the fatigue and the, how shall I say it, feeling that all the joy is sucked out of your life because you have no life because of work.

Be back later...

Carol in NC
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies, not much happening today.

Sylvia-I told my step children that there was no such thing as step grandma, either I was grandma or nothing and the could explain it to their kids. Besides grandma spends money on grand kids nothing doesn't. When I was growing up my grandparents were divorced and we never thought of their spouses as step anything, they were grandparents.

Meg-be careful don't wear yourself out.

Well back to work, Tigress in GA
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,650 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the thoughts, hugs and caring... I have done years of counseling so have limits around her nonsense. And vent it off and move on... But I do know that she is 85 and when she's gone I do not want to look back and feel like I did not give it my best - so it is all a balancing act.

Levi and I went to a nice park and took an hour walk on a trail along one side of a creek and across a bridge and back the other side, it was really nice, we'll do that again. We saw a bunch of other dogs - Not Levi's favorite thing he either wants off the leash to play or off the lease to show the other dog who is boss.... we have been working really hard and good behavior and it is beginning to pay off:wink: the pulling and barking are less and the growling is all gone.:love:

I enjoyed all the posts but got so busy reading I forgot to take notes.... but a few things I remember! A belt- what a fun concept – not something I have bought in a very very long time! Enjoy!!! Loved the thursday poem:smile: for all having a trying time getting the scale to move, maybe the tape measure is a better judge at certain times... Someone has a new puppy, enjoy! Levi is a little over 2 years and about 60lbs and he still climbs in my lap!

Well off to work!

smiles Kim in N. Cal (sunny and mid 70s)
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Just a quick note. Arrived in Omaha and every friend I've seen so far has told me how good I look. What a killer NSV for me. Plus I had to buy an outfit to wear to the awards dinner and it's a size smaller. I still have a long way to go, but this visit has been an incredible motivator.

Welcome to all the new folks. As a reminder, this thread ends at 500 posts. There will be a link to the new thread in the last post or close to the last post to connect you to April, part 2.

Jill in western MA
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday! :wink: Hope you all are getting some of this beautiful Spring weather. Yesterday it got up to 82 and today is to get to almost 70. Yesterday DH and I took his motorcycle over to Kearney and had new tire put on and all tuned up so it is ready for riding. Then last evening we went riding and it was nice. I got a new helmt and they fitted it for me and I ended up with a size small. That was a surprised. I find it interesting how much my feet and head have changed in size.
    I brought myself a new bra yesterday and I got another size smaller. :happy:
    Barbie--Sorry to hear about Jakes fall. Hope he is feeling better.
    Gloria--Hugs.:flowerforyou:
    Heather--you are such a caring person and I so enjoy reading about your meals. Glad everyone had fun and the teens enjoied the food.
    Kim--Hugs Glad that all went well for the most part with your mom.
    Tigress--I agree. When DH and I got married we told our kids the only steps in this house are the ones to the door. We treat all the grand babies the same. Now that the kids are adutls we can not make them get together but we plan family things much as we can and who ever shows up.
    Well I am going to make it one of my goals for this month to read and keep up atleast everyother day if not everydayl I do so much better when I stay connected. Well have a great rest of the day. Know Spring is on the way. As warm as it got here yesterday I was concerned we would go right to summer and the heat. Today is 60's I love it.
    Blessed! Vicki GI NE:heart:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    To Kim and the others talking about your non loving Moms. I think you have described my husband to a T. He was a provider and I don't think he knew how to love. He didn't get if from his parents at all. He that he was right in everything. He was always good in sports and memerorizing things and thought everyone else should be also, 'it's easy', just do it!!! Well it isn't that easy. But if you couldn't do it you were an idiot. And if you didn't agree with him you were an idiot. He was right in anything. We all had a right to our opinion even if it was different than his but if we chose to then we were not only stupid but an idiot. Our oldest daughter for some reason just kept on loving him uncondtionally but the youngest didn't. She told me when she was in college that she figured out that if he could still love her even if she was so much trouble then he must be worth loving. Well for one, she never was bad. She was to me about the most perfect child in raising that any Mom could ask for. I have found out later that she was blackmailing her little sister into lieing for her!!!! Poor Michelle, she took the bad rap so many times and now I know it was her sister that did those things. Anyway, back tot he original subject, he is the perfect Grandpa. It really bothers him now when he finds out how he treated his daughters although he still does thnk he is right most of the time. He just doesn't call you an idiot anymore.

Some one said yesterday that she hoped I could get some sleep. Well last night I couldn't sleep again and got out my I pad and read a book. So I got to sleep somewhere around 3:30 AM. Couldn't believe it when I woke up and saw it was 2:30 in the afternoon! Don't know why hubbie let me sleep that long.

Well I was going to say something else to some one else but can't remember what it was:frown: Well I guess I should jsut say hugs to all of you!!!!

Oh, now I know what it was. I used to work summers at a Southern Baptist retreat in North Carolina called Ridgecrest. North Carolina is a beautiful state and I loved to climb what I considered a mountain that was part of the complex or next to it, can't remember, on our one day off during the week and just sitting on this one spot and just drinking in all the beauty.

Joyce, Indiana