Dairy Queen Blizzards

Options

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    They're not whipped up ice milk. They're whipped up oleo product. It's just flavoured fat. Literally.

Sorry to disappoint, but DQ does NOT use oleo. Where do people come up with such nonsense?
    Isn't oleo what they made those fat free chips out of years ago? The ones that made everyone sick?

Oleo is margarine
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Why don't you save your comments for a subject you know something about?
    Sadly, addiction is something I know all too well.
    Then why would you put down somebody else for having the problem?

I'm not putting anyone down. I only said that claiming DQ Blizzards are "addictive" is inaccurate. Being honest about facts is in NO WAY a "put down" of any person.

If you think you are addicted to DQ Blizzards, tell me what the withdrawal syndrome is. What are your symptoms when you go without a Blizzard? Do your hands shake? Do your shoulders heave involuntarily? Do you get headaches? Sleepy? Suicidal thoughts? Do your dopamine and serotonin levels crash? Do you feel angry just because someone said hello to you?

What are your symptoms that tell you that you're suffering from Blizzard withdrawal?

ETA: Fixed the quotes...PLEASE put your comments at the bottom, not the top. Top-quoting makes it very difficult to follow the conversation.

Withdrawal is a very small aspect of addiction. Otherwise curing addiction would be a piece of cake, just put the addict through detox.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Nice if you can get it.
    There's a lot more to them than you realize. Here are the ingredients for a child sized soft serve (no cone, just the ice cream). I'd guess the milkfat and cornsyrup have something to do with the 140 cal per 92g. Add in candy, hot fudge/caramel syrup, flavoring etc and the calories are going to add up pretty quickly.
    \Dairy Queen Vanilla Soft Serve: Milkfat and nonfat milk, sugar, corn syrup, whey, mono and diglycerides, artificial flavor, guar gum, polysorbate 80, carrageenan, and vitamin A palmitate.

Here's a link to their nutritional info so you can do your own research:

http://www.idq.com/NCPublic/#

Ah yes, the old completely designed and manufactured product made from various chemicals that achieve the goal of a certain flavor and mouthfeel at a price point that maximizes return on investment trick. It's depressing when I begin to think about how many of us are not even really eating real food.

...pink slime anyone?

Unfortunately that is what most people prefer - to not eat real food.

If I am going to splurge, we have a hometown ice cream stand that has been around since the 1950's and they make various flavors of home made ice cream every day, use fresh fruit and hand shaved chocolate for toppings.

They are usually packed with people.

I prefer to eat the real stuff that has been made that way for generations and generations - not some fake ice cream. Yuck.
  • ahamm002
    Options
    I used to get an extra large reeses blizzard 2 to 3 times per week. I had no idea it was 1000 calories! They tasted so good, but now that I actually know about all the garbage in them I have no desire to eat them anymore. I'm willing to indulge in good tasting food that has lots of sugar and fat. But I see no reason to eat stuff that has artificial trans fats and other artificial chemicals.

They don't add any garbage to them. I don't know where you heard this, but codes enforcement would be all over any restaurant that took garbage and put it in the food.

IMO partially hydrogenated oils are garbage. But to each their own. If you want to eat garbage thats proven to be terrible for you in every study ever done then have at it.
  • ahamm002
    Options
    I look at places like Dairy Queen just like I would a drug pusher. If I'm not careful, it will ruin my health. Even worse, Dairy Queen and Baskin Robbin's is literally across the street from my apartment complex. :frown:

can't be serious…

yea, dairy queen and your neighborhood crack dealer are totally on the same level ….
    Are you sure the poster meant crack dealer? From my experience, only *legal* drug sales reps are actually *pushers* of drugs. Drugs like crack and meth tend to sell themselves, no pushing needed. :wink: :laugh:

yea, but you still have someone on the corner "pushing" them …I just wish people would not make blanket idiotic statements like this ….oh well...
    The problem isn't so much people making "blanket statements" as it is others taking them far too literally and not in the the spirit in which they were intended...

^^this! But welcome to the internet. Most discussions are based around strawman arguments and semantics.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

I'm not putting anyone down. I only said that claiming DQ Blizzards are "addictive" is inaccurate. Being honest about facts is in NO WAY a "put down" of any person.

If you think you are addicted to DQ Blizzards, tell me what the withdrawal syndrome is. What are your symptoms when you go without a Blizzard? Do your hands shake? Do your shoulders heave involuntarily? Do you get headaches? Sleepy? Suicidal thoughts? Do your dopamine and serotonin levels crash? Do you feel angry just because someone said hello to you?

What are your symptoms that tell you that you're suffering from Blizzard withdrawal?

ETA: Fixed the quotes...PLEASE put your comments at the bottom, not the top. Top-quoting makes it very difficult to follow the conversation.

Blizzards can be addictive if a person is a sugar addict. Sugar addiction is just as real as alcoholism (actually related) or drug addiction. Sometimes its worse because a person has to eat to survive and can't just put down the booze or drugs.

I live with a sugar addict.

When trying to detox off it, yes gets headaches, the shakes, depression, nearly violent mood swings, etc. Backsliding and hiding that he is eating sugary stuff at work (sometimes I find wrappers in his truck).
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options

Blizzards can be addictive if a person is a sugar addict. Sugar addiction is just as real as alcoholism (actually related) or drug addiction. Sometimes its worse because a person has to eat to survive and can't just put down the booze or drugs.

I live with a sugar addict.

When trying to detox off it, yes gets headaches, the shakes, depression, nearly violent mood swings, etc. Backsliding and hiding that he is eating sugary stuff at work (sometimes I find wrappers in his truck).

You have my sympathy. In may case, I've never had much for symptoms except maybe a headache.
  • BENNYDOOR
    BENNYDOOR Posts: 23
    Options
    Is there even real food in a blizzard?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Blizzards can be addictive if a person is a sugar addict. Sugar addiction is just as real as alcoholism (actually related) or drug addiction.

what a ridiculous statement. Try telling that to a heroine addict.

smdh
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

It's edible, so I'm gonna go ahead and say it's totally made of real food.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    skinny cow ice cream sandwiches are a great replacement at only 150 calories! but blizzards are really goooooood!

These are exactly what I eat when I need a ice cream treat!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Maybe if you find a caribou? It's hard to see in all that snow.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Maybe if you find a caribou? It's hard to see in all that snow.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I really dislike the phrase "real food." It's almost up there with "real women." I can eat it. It's delicious. It has nutrients. Therefore, yes, it is real food.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...to learn more about 12-step Blizzard programs coming soon to a community center near me.

ETA: Oh, and Turtle Pecan Cluster or GTFO.
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I just looked at a few calorie counts and im not quite sure how accurate the calorie counts are cus I used the nutrition calculator for dq and just the ice cream itself for a large is 660. It says a large with m and ms added is 1030 O.o I cant believe that they add 400 calories of candy into it.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Ok, I probably need to stop reading this thread for a while, my once a week small dipped cone is threatening to become a daily dipped cone....On the other hand, I might be able to make that work.....This may require some planning.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I just looked at a few calorie counts and im not quite sure how accurate the calorie counts are cus I used the nutrition calculator for dq and just the ice cream itself for a large is 660. It says a large with m and ms added is 1030 O.o I cant believe that they add 400 calories of candy into it.

I can believe it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Withdrawal is a very small aspect of addiction. Otherwise curing addiction would be a piece of cake, just put the addict through detox.

Withdrawal syndrome is the definition of addiction. If there is no withdrawal syndrome, there is no addiction. Like the OP, you are probably confusing addiction with compulsive behavior.

behavioral disorder =/= addiction
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Blizzards can be addictive if a person is a sugar addict. Sugar addiction is just as real as alcoholism (actually related) or drug addiction.

what a ridiculous statement. Try telling that to a heroine addict.

smdh

^^ Exactly.

Trying to compare ice cream to drug addiction is pretty insulting to people with actual addictions. Someone who has dealt with both addiction *and* compulsive behavior knows the difference.