Replies

• Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I agree with what that guy said about that thing
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    The realization that I could still eat donuts changed my life. Not even kidding, it literally altered everything I felt about food and my approach to eating/losing fat.
  • dsb188
    dsb188 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I agree with you to a certain point. I don't push my diet down peoples throats. Even though I am off carbs I am happy for people who can eat them all the time and stay small. I just feel like moderation works for some people. Everyone has a different genetic makeup. So I think if moderation works for you than great but for other people they have to restrict and I see nothing wrong with that. The purpose is to get healthy. Once I lose the weight I need to I'm going to eat what I want in moderation!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    The realization that I could still eat donuts changed my life. Not even kidding, it literally altered everything I felt about food and my approach to eating/losing fat.

True.
    Honestly, when someone (IRL) says, "you worked SO HARD to lose weight", I feel kinda bad, because most of my weight loss has just been from portion control. Sure, working out is more effort, but it's not like I've really been sacrificing.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    In.

Just in.

ETA: There's usually an interesting correlation between ticker marker and which side of this argument people are on. Will be interesting to see if this thread follows the same pattern.

I'm crunching numbers now.
    Join dates too but that's in another chart.

lol. am interested to see where i fit in.

Same.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Oh look, another "I found something that works for me therefore it must work for everyone else too" thread.

No.

I certainly do not define "moderation" the way the OP does, or lots of people around here. Been there, done that, and I gained 140lbs doing so.

It's taken different roads, and different methods of containment with certain trigger foods, to finally get me free. And it did NOT come in the "have two cookies a night" road at all. That's bad advice for some, because it will not work for everyone.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Oh look, another "I found something that works for me therefore it must work for everyone else too" thread.

No.

I certainly do not define "moderation" the way the OP does, or lots of people around here. Been there, done that, and I gained 140lbs doing so.

It's taken different roads, and different methods of containment with certain trigger foods, to finally get me free. And it did NOT come in the "have two cookies a night" road at all. That's bad advice for some, because it will not work for everyone.

Truth. A lot of people on this site need to learn that what works for them won't work for everyone. I have gotten a lot better, but there are some things I just can't keep in the house. This is not to say that I will never eat my trigger foods again because that's really unrealistic, but I can't casually buy a 14 serving bag of baked lays or a sack of chex mix or those friggin' McCain smiles things.

Binge eating disorder is a compulsive mental condition and there are plenty of people who suffer but are undiagonosed because of shame, lack of money/insurance or whatever other reasons. It's absolutely ridiculous to tell obese people who are just starting out that they should go buy tubs of ice cream because "*I* can eat one serving and stop". Good job if you can, but for some it's honestly not a question of willpower.

Cue everyone calling me "butthurt". I'm feeling fabulous about my progress, willpower and motivation to keep on keeping on. If anyone is butthurt, it's people who think I need to do exactly what they are doing to not feel "deprived" and "miserable".
  • Rashmi_mishra
    Rashmi_mishra Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    great post! so true !
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options

No.

I never said to eat yourself into oblivion.
    I said to enjoy your food in moderation.
    What you are describing is someone with emotional issues with food.
    If you have an addiction, get help!
    I'm sure someone who binge eats probably isn't very happy.
    This post is about controlling yourself with the food you enjoy!
    Its about doing what makes you happy!

Listen if you eat an Oreo cookie and it sends you into the deepest depression, causing binge eating and other issues, you've got bigger issues than just food!
    Avoid it, but get help please!

If you eat an Oreo and it brings you pleasure, and a serving is enough, rock on completely!

This post comes on the heels of seeing posts made by new and old members who say "I binged!" Or "What foods can you not live without?"
    What I'm saying is to not cut these foods and learn to allow yourself a serving here and there!

Gaining 140lbs isn't the foods fault! Have some accountability.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

No.

I never said to eat yourself into oblivion.
    I said to enjoy your food in moderation.
    This post is about controlling yourself with the food you enjoy!
    Its about doing what makes you happy!

Listen if you eat an Oreo cookie and it sends you into the deepest depression, causing binge eating and other issues, you've got bigger issues than just food!
    Avoid it, but get help please!

If you eat an Oreo and it brings you pleasure, and a serving is enough, rock on completely!

This post comes on the heels of seeing posts made by new and old members who say "I binged!" Or "What foods can you not live without?"
    What I'm saying is to not cut these foods and learn to allow yourself a serving here and there!

Gaining 140lbs isn't the foods fault! Have some accountability.

You've got to be kidding me.

First off brotha, you're barking up the wrong tree. My post doesn't contain the word "binge" once. Take it up with someone who was having that debate.

You're talking to a person who doesn't associated moral concepts with food anymore. I let all that go. I don't "reward" myself with food, I don't "love" food, and I associate neither guilt nor shame with my food choices.

I simply stated that the roads I took to freedom were not traveled by your "eat one serving size a day" method of moderation. That's awful advice for me, and I'm thankful that I kept it real about my strengths, my weaknesses, and created roads that worked perfectly for me.

And where, do tell, did I "blame" food for gaining 140lbs? My *kitten* earned every pound by what I put in my mouth. You made an assumption, and picked the wrong damn man. I have NEVER had excuses about my weight, and have never been the one to blame anyone else. What I said is that I took the "everything in moderation" path that you think is the road to Glory, and I gained 140lbs on that path. It was a BAD road for me. But that doesn't excuse the fact that I took the road, that I failed at it, and that it was my choices that landed me hot water.

Perhaps if you spent a little less time being so self righteous and assumptive you'd learn something about other people, their journeys, and their successful methods.
  • Chuchiiee
    Chuchiiee Posts: 43
    Options
    >_> Wow... I'm sure the OP didn't expect his thread to turn into a bash fest. His tone isn't even that harsh which I can't understand how some of the opposing views are so snarky. (>u> Though he does call some of these new diet plans/ways of healthy living bs... the key point about moderation seems to the stand out here... and that part isn't so bad)

I think people are looking into it far more intensely than they should.
    Some foods I can have in moderation and some foods I can't. Period. Therefore, I agree to a certain degree, however, some foods I know will make me binge happy (Doritos for instance) so I don't have them. I don't even crave them anymore anyway. But even some healthier foods (Stacy's baked pita chips or Brads raw kale chips or bananas or avocados) can make me binge happy too, but at the end of the day, I say oh well and enjoy every last bite.
    Oh well...let the battle rage on...
    Pffft.

*grabs Stacy's baked pita chips and sits on a recliner*
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    >_> Wow... I'm sure the OP didn't expect his thread to turn into a bash fest. His tone isn't even that harsh which I can't understand how some of the opposing views are so snarky.

My response wasn't snarky -- all I said is that moderation does not work for everyone, including myself. The strong responses may be attributable to the tone of the OP's previous posts and his profile, in which he presents himself as a lay expert and suggests that everyone else's experience -- including people who closely observe themselves -- is invalid.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    >_> Wow... I'm sure the OP didn't expect his thread to turn into a bash fest. His tone isn't even that harsh which I can't understand how some of the opposing views are so snarky.

My response wasn't snarky -- all I said is that moderation does not work for everyone, including myself. The strong responses may be attributable to the tone of the OP's previous posts and his profile, in which he presents himself as a lay expert and suggests that everyone else's experience -- including people who closely observe themselves -- is invalid.

I'm sorry but rules are it has to work for everyone, if it doesn't then it's not allowed.

Rules is rules.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I suspect for a large proportion of people on here that is the case. In fact, I wonder how many have put on large amounts of weight WITHOUT such. Why did they do so, if so?
    Why? I can binge eat when I'm happy or unhappy. Just as I can say, go for a motorcycle ride when I am happy or unhappy. It's an activity that I enjoy, so I like to do it.

If you can eat an oreo and "one is enough", then the reader probably doesn't need your advice anyway ;).
  • toutmonpossible
    Options

I'm sorry but rules are it has to work for everyone, if it doesn't then it's not allowed.

Rules is rules.

EDITED TO ADD: Sorry, I think you were agreeing with me.

Maybe the "rule" is not explaining the phenomenon. As I said earlier, it's well known that eating certain foods causes cravings for some people. This is a neurochemical phenomenon. Eating in moderation will not work for them.

BBC America broadcast its documentary, "The Men Who Made Us Fat," which talks about the problem of adding High Fructose Corn Syrup to food, which is one of the causes of this problem. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC4QtwIwAA&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6nGlLUBkOQ&ei=bSRDU5DvEYL4yQHdkYAo&usg=AFQjCNHhWGHTVzzPx-ZPAds9WkD_dhQXDA&sig2=RO2JZrrQkLo0Nm0kdMau8g&bvm=bv.64125504,d.aWc

The problem with MFP is too many here don't understand the expression "A little learning is a dangerous thing." Not every mechanism is understood. Sometimes statements in the popular press are wrong or oversimplified. Some people have carefully watched what causes them to over-eat and that is valid information. For some, that is consuming certain "trigger" foods.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    I suspect for a large proportion of people on here that is the case. In fact, I wonder how many have put on large amounts of weight WITHOUT such. Why did they do so, if so?

You can find you have a tendency to over-eat certain foods. That doesn't mean that you have an addiction in the clinical sense. (If it is an addiction, it is not uncommon.) But it does mean that you are not capable of eating a small portion when left to your devices.

People who have studied the increase in obesity since the 1970s believe that the taste of fast foods are manipulated by companies to have just the right combination of sweet and salty tastes so people will eat more of them. They are betting that most people can't exercise moderation.

Again, if you find it easy to eat that way, that's great. But there are large numbers of people who can't.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    mmmm last night'spizza was delicious (double cardio made sure iifym)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    which talks about the problem of adding High Fructose Corn Syrup to food, which is one of the causes of this problem.
    I can easily overeat on 'natural' fruit.
    I blame god. Or nature.

I would blame myself, but that's looked down upon these days ;).

Also, that last line about 'addiction' was meant to be edited out and was from a previous poster.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    which talks about the problem of adding High Fructose Corn Syrup to food, which is one of the causes of this problem.
    I can easily overeat on 'natural' fruit.
    I blame god. Or nature.

I would blame myself, but that's looked down upon these days ;).

Also, that last line about 'addiction' was meant to be edited out and was from a previous poster.

The fact that you might have trigger foods doesn't absolve you from responsibility. People ARE taking responsibility by recognizing that they need to avoid certain foods and by not bringing them into the house.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Interesting views on this topic BTW.