Vegetarians found more unhealthy. Interesting article.

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting the arguing over an epidemiological study that proves nothing. There were no controls adopted for any of the groups. It was basically, I'm a vegetarian, I'm a carnivore, I eat everything, and I'm a cannibal! They didn't monitor food or provide the meals. All these studies are for is to possibly create an actual study where they do have more controls to test if the perceived outcome of the epidemiological study holds water.

It's an observational study that can establish correlations. It's interesting and provides fodder for further studies.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting the arguing over an epidemiological study that proves nothing. There were no controls adopted for any of the groups. It was basically, I'm a vegetarian, I'm a carnivore, I eat everything, and I'm a cannibal! They didn't monitor food or provide the meals. All these studies are for is to possibly create an actual study where they do have more controls to test if the perceived outcome of the epidemiological study holds water.

It's an observational study that can establish correlations. It's interesting and provides fodder for further studies.

I bet they already had data on the followup and had some grad student see if they could publish this too...
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

I do agree with that. It's just not conclusive. I'm more referring to the outrage by the people getting offended and claiming other non-vegetarian diets will kill you dead where you stand.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I do agree with that. It's just not conclusive. I'm more referring to the outrage by the people getting offended and claiming other non-vegetarian diets will kill you dead where you stand.

Tonight on your local news... laypeople on internet misunderstand published scientific study. Film at 11.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Eh there are fat people who are meat eaters, and there are fat people who are vegetarians.

There are ALSO healthy meat eaters, and healthy vegetarians.

Eat whatever diet works for you and leave the others be.
    why are there so many "my diet is better than yours" arguments on this site??
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Eh there are fat people who are meat eaters, and there are fat people who are vegetarians.

I didn't care until the whole "your diet causes cancer" (feces) started appearing on my internets...
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed the random conversation about the history of Kentucky Fried Chicken hidden in this thread.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Good question. MFP is unfortunately full of people telling us that particular foods or nutrients are dangerous and should be avoided. Life would be better without such nonsense.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

I didn't care until the whole "your diet causes cancer" (feces) started appearing on my internets...
    This and "this is the way humans were meant to eat"
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    But yeah...I posted this about 2 pages ago.

The article isn't well researched, but I found the data to be interesting.

Meat eaters can be unhealthy, vegetarians can be unhealthy.

I just hate when vegetarians/vegans try to push their beliefs on me telling me that it is a healthier lifestyle ... well not necessarily ...
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    My first comment was very moderate and said that "people [who eat more restrictive diets] need to be extra careful". Which is completely, 100% accurate. I am actually astounded that anyone would disagree with that, especially someone who obviously IS careful and does make an effort to eat well.

I admit I'm tired of the lifestyle preachers generally here, but I can't believe how panty-knotted people get about their diets. It's worse than religion or politics sometimes.
    Ideally, everyone should be paying attention to their macro and micro nutrient intake and getting everything their bodies need, but vegetarians and other people who restrict their diets (paleo etc) need to be extra careful, obviously.

So what does "extra careful" mean, exactly? I understand it in the context that veg*ns need to, because they have to actually work out what plants have what amino acids, so they can make sure they're getting them all (arguably not that difficult, but can take a little education beyond the usual nutrition information education), and they have to go out of their way to get reliable sources of B-12. However, in the context of Paleo, it's not even as hard as the protein thing with veg*ns. It's no different than anyone else trying to eat healthy by doing things like building better salads (spinach and kale instead of iceburg lettuce, etc). The only difference is that grains, legumes, and possibly dairy aren't part of the equation. The spinach alone will get you the calcium, fiber, and other nutrients that all three of the cut out foods provided.

Your original comment was moderated, yes, though PaleoPath4Lyfe and I both disagree that it's 100% correct. Your response to PaleoPath4Lyfe, however, came off as snide and rather defensive (moreso than their initial response, IMO). It's the response in which you start calling people names that I was referring to.

"Extra careful" means you can't take being "paleo" as an excuse to eat 12oz steaks for every meal, in the same way that a vegetarian can't just live on ice cream. Simply not eating meat or not eating grains doesn't mean that you're eating abundant vegetables or the appropriate proportion of fat and protein. Cutting out grain doesn't assume you're going to fill it with a variety of better choices necessarily. Thus, careful.

I'm sorry I'm not sorry about referring to someone as the "paleo police" but...I'm not sorry. Being critical is allowed. You can go ahead and call me the "varied-choices-are -great-police" if you want. I don't feel that criticizing someone's diet criticizes them personally, so I promise if you do not to get mad or claim you called me names. I just think it's funny that as soon as you mention "paleo" anywhere people freak out.

Come on. I seriously didn't mean to get everyone's dander up. That's more of a Friday afternoon activity than a Thursday, but I guess I must have been extra bored. Maybe I'm hangry from not eating enough raw liver and berries.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed the random conversation about the history of Kentucky Fried Chicken hidden in this thread.

Me too. And I'm sorry for accidentally hijacking your thread...I'm the Dread Anti-Paleo Pirate today, apparently.

Oops.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Not sure how the other poster meant it, but I like this definition:

"Nutrient density is a measure of the amount of nutrients a food contains in comparison to the number of calories. A food is more nutrient dense when the level of nutrients is high in relationship to the number of calories the food contains. "

Source: World's Healthiest Foods

How do you define "amount of nutrients"? You're just shifting the definition. Things get murky when you realize that fat, sugar, protein, fiber, and starch are all nutrients.

And most non-starchy vegetables beat out grains, legumes, and dairy, calorie-for-calorie (and in many cases, even gram for gram), in pretty much every area but carbs (maybe) and starch. So, even with your semantic arguing, vegetables and meat still win overall.

http://rajganpath.com/2010/07/31/lets-talk-numbers/
    http://www.healthhabits.ca/2009/07/17/nutrition-deathmatch-fruits-vegetables-v-s-grains/
    http://www.nutritionalwellness.com/archives/2009/nov/11_seaman.php
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/guide/calcium-vitamin-d-foods
    http://greatist.com/health/18-surprising-dairy-free-sources-calcium
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/calcium-and-milk/
  • thatpixichick
    thatpixichick Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you know where to get nutrients, then omnivorous, vegan, or vegetarian diets are absolutely fine. It's when people live off burgers and battered fish (omnivores), Oreos and Doritos (vegans), and cheesy pizza and fries dripping in mayo (vegetarians) that there are then issues with deficiencies and being super high or super low in this that or the other.

I've actually found it harder to eat "badly" (i.e. lazily) as a vegan, because I've had to put the effort in to cook my meals from scratch rather than throwing frozen junk food into the oven. I'm far healthier now because I've had to be.

Anyone can get the stuff they need from their diet if they're willing to put the effort in and stop choosing easy, greasy, junk food options, and to learn what they need and where from.

:drinker:
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    As long as you can hit your macro and calorie goal then why obsess over where someone chooses to get those calories?
  • veggiemary
    veggiemary Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There are always studies being done. Here's another study on this subject...

http://www.nih.gov/researchmatters/june2013/06102013vegetarian.htm
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian all my life. I used to be fat and miserable because all I ate was cheese, bread, pasta, and ice cream. It's easy to be unhealthy as a vegetarian. Now my diet is full of fruits and veggies and I'm obviously in much better shape!

This except I became a vegetarian in 1995.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

Good question. MFP is unfortunately full of people telling us that particular foods or nutrients are dangerous and should be avoided. Life would be better without such nonsense.

In fairness it usually starts as a response to a direct question about a particular diet or someone declaring they are cutting all <food> with that food generally being sugar. So, someone will say you don't have to cut out all sugar, I eat this way then the whole debate is in motion again. Folks eating what they consider healthy don't like hearing that you can eat only Twinkies and lose weight especially if they had to give up Twinkies. Then the hangry folks chime in and out comes the popcorn and cat gifs.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

This and "this is the way humans were meant to eat"

This is the issue I have as well.

Go back 10 or 15 years, I went through phases of being vegetarian or vegan (I'm an omnivore nowadays and I feel better for it). And back then it was seen as primarily an ethical choice, and the information on it was like "it's possible to be healthy on a vegan diet but you must be careful about getting enough nutrients" and "here are the nutrients that it's hard to get without eating meat, and here's a list of vegetarian/vegan foods that contain each one" and "it's not possible to get enough vitamin B12 and D2 from a vegan diet, however many vegan food products are fortified with these, so ensure you're either eating fortified foods or taking a supplement" There was some mention of health benefits, but they were presented in context and alongside statements such as "the health benefits of the vegetarian diet could be due to eating more vegetables rather than due to cutting out meat"

but nowadays there are 2 trends that I find disturbing:

1. exaggerated and even fabricated reports of health benefits, combined with demonising of the omnivorous diet. Rather than being presented as an ethical choice that can be healthy if you're careful to include all the nutrients it's hard to get on a herbivorous diet and supplement where necessary, it's now presented by some very vocal vegan groups as 100% necessary for human health and meat is killing people etc etc etc... these days i come across far more vegetarians and vegans who are doing this because they believe it's healthier than an omnivorous diet and many even say they don't have moral objections to eating animals. And some who have concerns about animal welfare but health is the primary reason. What is so concerning when people are switching to diets that are difficult to adhere to and difficult to get enough nutrition from for health reasons which are greatly exaggerated.... that's not right.

2. denying that humans are omnivores - rather than adapting a herbivorous diet to meet the nutritional requirements of an omnivore, they claim that humans aren't supposed to be omnivorous and that the natural diet of humans is herbivorous, and they completely rewrite what they consider to be a balanced diet for humans to make it fit the nutritional profile of a herbivorous diet. This is totally putting the cart before the horse... 80/10/10 is a classic example because 80/10/10 is a macronutrient ratio that's easy to hit on a herbivorous diet, so rather than actually put in the effort to adjust the diet to be more balanced and closer to what humans actually need, they promote the idea that 80/10/10 is ideal and humans are really herbivores. Again, this is totally not right, it's basically lying to people about what their nutritional needs are to promote an unbalanced diet.

So anyway, those are my issues with the way vegetarian and vegan diets are presented nowadays... I have nothing against vegetarianism or veganism as ethical choices........ but all the pseudoscience associated with them that's lying to people and scaring them into becoming vegan or vegetarian.
  • krokus99
    krokus99 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Science FTW
    [img][/img]nigellagillian.jpg

this image is really suggestive. I will never become a vegetarian...