Dairy Alarmism

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    For me it goes like this:

Humans > Primates & Dolphins > dogs & cats & pigs & horses > other mammals > birds, fish reptiles > insects and gross-looking creatures

Why?

Intelligence/Reason
    Today I learned that cows are smarter than crows...

For me there is no distinction, a different species is a different species. We humans reign over them, if we want their flesh or milk for our food we'll take it.

However, there is such a thing as reigning gently and without abusing our privilege. I believe in that too...

Cows are yummy. And even though I put pigs with cats & dogs, so far as intelligence goes, I eat them too. Because bacon.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Humans > Primates & Dolphins > dogs & cats & pigs & horses > other mammals > birds, fish reptiles > insects and gross-looking creatures

Why?

Intelligence/Reason

For me there is no distinction, a different species is a different species. We humans reign over them, if we want their flesh or milk for our food we'll take it.

However, there is such a thing as reigning gently and without abusing our privilege. I believe in that too...

Cows are yummy. And even though I put pigs with cats & dogs, so far as intelligence goes, I eat them too. Because bacon.

According to Audubon, robins are delicious.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    We are people, so we decide. Human lives are precious.

I never really understood why human lives are precious and other lives aren't ...

Other lives are precious, just not as precious as humans. And honestly, some lives aren't so precious, imo. If you step on an ant, do you hold a funeral?
    Honestly, I actively try not to step on aunts.

And, again, why is human life more precious? What is so special about human life? If we were out in the wild, we would not be the top of the food chain ...

I'm not saying no one should eat meat, since that's the cycle of life and all, but human life is no more precious than any other life. We just have the means to protect ourselves with houses and guns. And even those things aren't always enough. People in the Orlando area lately are being mauled left and right by bears.

Why?

Intelligence/Reason

That looks an awful lot like Matt Groening's "looks like me" ethical map.

Are you saying I look like a dolphin? :laugh:

I can't find it anywhere, but he has this whole scale that literally had "gross looking things" on the bottom that listed out the ethics he identified with each category of being. It was so on the mark that it almost wasn't funny...just like 90% of his "life is hell" stuff.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    High fat dairy consumption is actually linked to some types of cancer.

http://www.oncologynutrition.org/erfc/healthy-nutrition-now/dairy-and-ovarian-cancer/

Here's a direct quote from the article you linked:

Does dairy increase or decrease the risk? There is no clear answer
    A few more to peruse:
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/74/4/549.abstract

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/6/1722.abstract

http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/97/23/1768.long

Read them before this comment disappears. MFP tends to censor certain things.

Bwahahaha.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I never really understood why human lives are precious and other lives aren't ...

It is not (imho) a black and white precious vs not precious. Rather, I think in terms of a sliding scale of "preciousness", even within the class of "humans". Myself and my immediate family are most precious to me, closely followed by extended family and close friends, then even more extended family, distant friends, friends of friends etc etc... Animals come in at various places on the scale depending on if they are my dog, if they are intelligent (primates and dolphins rate high, for example), if they are cute ( :wink: ), if they are bred for food (i.e cows and pigs) etc. Some bacteria are beneficial (we don't want to kill those) while others cause disease (kill 'em!).

So all life has some level of preciousness. But sometimes our needs/desires will put their perceived importance below a threshold where we think it OK to kill them. Even in war or self defense, we (as a society, in general) think it OK to kill other humans. That threshold will be different for different individuals: some of us think killing cows for food is acceptable to satisfy our need for food; others think we should not do so. My personal threshold on this issue has changed at least twice, from becoming vegetarian many years ago, and switching back to meat eating 8 years later.

tl;dr: it's complicated!
    I agree with that. It's relative and subjective.

What I don't and will never agree with is the objective statement that one species is more precious than another.

As to whether I would save the cow or owl, I don't know. It would break my heart to not save them both. I don't believe one more important than the other and I don't know any way I could make that decision. So instead of letting both die I guess I'd just have to flip a coin and live with it. I hope I will never have to make such a decision.

And as I said above, despite being a vegetarian myself, I'm not saying humans shouldn't eat meat. It's natural and it's a valid dietary choice. That doesn't mean we're somehow more precious than the animals we eat any more than a crocodile is more precious than a bird it makes its snack. It's just the hard truth of the food chain.

I think it's funny that an atheist is using something that comes from the Bible, though. :-)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Why?

Intelligence/Reason

I have only had chicken, turkey, and duck, but would try robins or quail. Honestly, I'd eat any bird if it was cooked right, or I'm hungry.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

It is not (imho) a black and white precious vs not precious. Rather, I think in terms of a sliding scale of "preciousness", even within the class of "humans". Myself and my immediate family are most precious to me, closely followed by extended family and close friends, then even more extended family, distant friends, friends of friends etc etc... Animals come in at various places on the scale depending on if they are my dog, if they are intelligent (primates and dolphins rate high, for example), if they are cute ( :wink: ), if they are bred for food (i.e cows and pigs) etc. Some bacteria are beneficial (we don't want to kill those) while others cause disease (kill 'em!).

So all life has some level of preciousness. But sometimes our needs/desires will put their perceived importance below a threshold where we think it OK to kill them. Even in war or self defense, we (as a society, in general) think it OK to kill other humans. That threshold will be different for different individuals: some of us think killing cows for food is acceptable to satisfy our need for food; others think we should not do so. My personal threshold on this issue has changed at least twice, from becoming vegetarian many years ago, and switching back to meat eating 8 years later.

What I don't and will never agree with is the objective statement that one species is more precious than another.

As to whether I would save the cow or owl, I don't know. It would break my heart to not save them both. I don't believe one more important than the other and I don't know any way I could make that decision. So instead of letting both die I guess I'd just have to flip a coin and live with it. I hope I will never have to make such a decision.

And as I said above, despite being a vegetarian myself, I'm not saying humans shouldn't eat meat. It's natural and it's a valid dietary choice. That doesn't mean we're somehow more precious than the animals we eat any more than a crocodile is more precious than a bird it makes its snack. It's just the hard truth of the food chain.

I think it's funny that an atheist is using something that comes from the Bible, though. :-)

Which bit of that came from the Bible? I don't remember too much emphasis on fuzzy logic in there.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I can't find it anywhere, but he has this whole scale that literally had "gross looking things" on the bottom that listed out the ethics he identified with each category of being. It was so on the mark that it almost wasn't funny...just like 90% of his "life is hell" stuff.

Yeah, I tried to Google it too with no luck. If you find it, post it to my profile page. I love Matt Groening!
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options

Why?

Intelligence/Reason

I have only had chicken, turkey, and duck, but would try robins or quail. Honestly, I'd eat any bird if it was cooked right, or I'm hungry.
    And that was my point.

Yummy or not (probably not), the intelligence of crows has been estimated as being comparable to that of great apes and are among the few non-human species to use tools.

So, would you still eat them?
  • rml_16
    Options

Which bit of that came from the Bible? I don't remember too much emphasis on fuzzy logic in there.
    Not you, WendyTerry. The idea that humans have dominion over animals and that human life is more precious is a very Biblical idea.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Not you, WendyTerry. The idea that humans have dominion over animals and that human life is more precious is a very Biblical idea.

I always took the Bible to support a more stewardship relationship. After all, Noah took all the animals. Not just the cute, sentient ones.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Why?

Intelligence/Reason

And that was my point.

Yummy or not (probably not), the intelligence of crows has been estimated as being comparable to that of great apes and are among the few non-human species to use tools.

So, would you still eat them?

I would be leary of crows for a variety of reasons. Honestly, I forgot about crows. Yeah, to me they should be up there with dogs and cats. But if I were in a life and death situation, I would probably eat any animal other than a dolphin or an ape. I think those are where I'd draw the line. But even that line might move if it were someone else that dressed the animal and cooked the meat.

FWIW, my list was not intended to be exhaustive. I am definitely open to making amendments if provided additional information.

Hell, TBH, I'd have survived the Donner party even. :wink:
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options

I always took the Bible to support a more stewardship relationship. After all, Noah took all the animals. Not just the cute, sentient ones.
    what about the animals that only lived in north america? how'd he get those ones?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

But he left out the unicorns and the dinosaurs. :sad:
  • rml_16
    Options

The interpretations I've seen from devout religious people of Genesis is that humans are more important and the animals exist for us to use as we see fit. There are two creation stories, but they both kind of support this view.

I've actually heard people say you can't be a good Christian is you are vegetarian and refuse to wear fur and leather.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Yeah my cat will drink milk if it is available (among other things) lol, but afterwards she ends up sick with diarrhea.

We had some kittens when I was a kid. They'd been off the teet for a couple of months. My brother and I thought it would be nice to give them some milk so we went to the refrigerator and poured a nice cold saucer of milk for them. All five kittens enjoyed the hell out of it. It was a warm spring day, so my brother and I left them to their adorable kitten devices while we went off to do whatever my brother and I found amusing at 4 and 7.

An hour or so later, we came back to see how the kittens were because... kids love kittens and checking up on them is what we did often. Something else that we did often was give them hugs because... kitten hugs are awesome and our kittens liked us.

They turned out the be the grossest hugs that ever my brother and I had experienced to date or ever after (at least I hope my brother isn't into that sort of thing but if he is... it's not my place to determine what is right and wrong for another grown adult to do in the bedroom... or bathroom but I digress).

What happened next left our shirts sodden and horribly smells. We had literally hugged the poo right out of our little kittens. Now were weren't some Rockwellian type kids, we were gross and often had an antagonistic relationship. Much to the horror of my now adult sensibilities, we turned those little kittens into the worst kind of squirt guns you can imagine (at least I hope it's the worst kind you can imagine...).

Yeah, it was gross but I learned an important science lesson that day. Some mammals stop producing the lactase enzyme and what will happen to their digestive system can become rather horrific. I'm glad I still produce it. I like milk, cheese, ice cream and even the Gelato that I tried for the first time yesterday due to constantly seeing the "Gelato cleanse" thread.

Moral of the story: Some lessons that you learn if life are just downright sh***y.

(no kittens were harmed 30 years ago, the lived to be great mousers, only a year ago did the last one die as a three legged, one eyed female that hunted up until her very last summer. Love you pebbles.)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Yeah my cat will drink milk if it is available (among other things) lol, but afterwards she ends up sick with diarrhea.

We had some kittens when I was a kid. They'd been off the teet for a couple of months. My brother and I thought it would be nice to give them some milk so we went to the refrigerator and poured a nice cold saucer of milk for them. All five kittens enjoyed the hell out of it. It was a warm spring day, so my brother and I left them to their adorable kitten devices while we went off to do whatever my brother and I found amusing at 4 and 7.

An hour or so later, we came back to see how the kittens were because... kids love kittens and checking up on them is what we did often. Something else that we did often was give them hugs because... kitten hugs are awesome and our kittens liked us.

They turned out the be the grossest hugs that ever my brother and I had experienced to date or ever after (at least I hope my brother isn't into that sort of thing but if he is... it's not my place to determine what is right and wrong for another grown adult to do in the bedroom... or bathroom but I digress).

What happened next left our shirts sodden and horribly smells. We had literally hugged the poo right out of our little kittens. Now were weren't some Rockwellian type kids, we were gross and often had an antagonistic relationship. Much to the horror of my now adult sensibilities, we turned those little kittens into the worst kind of squirt guns you can imagine (at least I hope it's the worst kind you can imagine...).

Yeah, it was gross but I learned an important science lesson that day. Some mammals stop producing the lactase enzyme and what will happen to their digestive system can become rather horrific. I'm glad I still produce it. I like milk, cheese, ice cream and even the Gelato that I tried for the first time yesterday due to constantly seeing the "Gelato cleanse" thread.

Moral of the story: Some lessons that you learn if life are just downright sh***y.

(no kittens were harmed 30 years ago, the lived to be great mousers, only a year ago did the last one die as a three legged, one eyed female that hunted up until her very last summer. Love you pebbles.)

Nutrition scientists do not often use a feline model....

LOL.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Milk:

White People: Most of you can drink milk. If you like it and don't experience negative effects, go for it.

Every other kind of people: Most of you are lactose intolerant so milk can cause negative effects. If you experience those effects, don't drink it. Otherwise, go for it.

Very simple.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Milk:

White People: Most of you can drink milk. If you like it and don't experience negative effects, go for it.

Every other kind of people: Most of you are lactose intolerant so milk can cause negative effects. If you experience those effects, don't drink it. Otherwise, go for it.

Very simple.

:drinker: