Dairy Alarmism

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Christians come up with all sorts of things in the Bible to support whatever:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_vegetarianism
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    In to read later when I have popcorn.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    We are people, so we decide. Human lives are precious.

I never really understood why human lives are precious and other lives aren't ...

It is not (imho) a black and white precious vs not precious. Rather, I think in terms of a sliding scale of "preciousness", even within the class of "humans". Myself and my immediate family are most precious to me, closely followed by extended family and close friends, then even more extended family, distant friends, friends of friends etc etc... Animals come in at various places on the scale depending on if they are my dog, if they are intelligent (primates and dolphins rate high, for example), if they are cute ( :wink: ), if they are bred for food (i.e cows and pigs) etc. Some bacteria are beneficial (we don't want to kill those) while others cause disease (kill 'em!).

So all life has some level of preciousness. But sometimes our needs/desires will put their perceived importance below a threshold where we think it OK to kill them. Even in war or self defense, we (as a society, in general) think it OK to kill other humans. That threshold will be different for different individuals: some of us think killing cows for food is acceptable to satisfy our need for food; others think we should not do so. My personal threshold on this issue has changed at least twice, from becoming vegetarian many years ago, and switching back to meat eating 8 years later.

tl;dr: it's complicated!
    I agree with that. It's relative and subjective.

What I don't and will never agree with is the objective statement that one species is more precious than another.

As to whether I would save the cow or owl, I don't know. It would break my heart to not save them both. I don't believe one more important than the other and I don't know any way I could make that decision. So instead of letting both die I guess I'd just have to flip a coin and live with it. I hope I will never have to make such a decision.

And as I said above, despite being a vegetarian myself, I'm not saying humans shouldn't eat meat. It's natural and it's a valid dietary choice. That doesn't mean we're somehow more precious than the animals we eat any more than a crocodile is more precious than a bird it makes its snack. It's just the hard truth of the food chain.

I think it's funny that an atheist is using something that comes from the Bible, though. :-)

Which bit of that came from the Bible? I don't remember too much emphasis on fuzzy logic in there.
    Not you, WendyTerry. The idea that humans have dominion over animals and that human life is more precious is a very Biblical idea.

No, it's really not. It's innate nature. Every animal species believes its own species to be dominant. That's how the organization of animals have established themselves. A pack of coyotes could overpower a few grey wolves, but the grey wolves pack together and hunt down coyotes to establish grey wolf dominance over them.

Humans are no different. Our intelligence and evolutionary advantages for tool creation have enabled us to establish ourselves as the dominant species on Earth. Therefore, humans are number one (or most precious, if you prefer,) while every other species is lower on the list. Maybe the Bible made reference to it, but it's certainly not a "biblical concept," as it's ingrained in human nature, and a part of the 6 billion other people on the planet that have neither read, nor follow the Christian Bible.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

I never really understood why human lives are precious and other lives aren't ...

It is not (imho) a black and white precious vs not precious. Rather, I think in terms of a sliding scale of "preciousness", even within the class of "humans". Myself and my immediate family are most precious to me, closely followed by extended family and close friends, then even more extended family, distant friends, friends of friends etc etc... Animals come in at various places on the scale depending on if they are my dog, if they are intelligent (primates and dolphins rate high, for example), if they are cute ( :wink: ), if they are bred for food (i.e cows and pigs) etc. Some bacteria are beneficial (we don't want to kill those) while others cause disease (kill 'em!).

So all life has some level of preciousness. But sometimes our needs/desires will put their perceived importance below a threshold where we think it OK to kill them. Even in war or self defense, we (as a society, in general) think it OK to kill other humans. That threshold will be different for different individuals: some of us think killing cows for food is acceptable to satisfy our need for food; others think we should not do so. My personal threshold on this issue has changed at least twice, from becoming vegetarian many years ago, and switching back to meat eating 8 years later.

What I don't and will never agree with is the objective statement that one species is more precious than another.

As to whether I would save the cow or owl, I don't know. It would break my heart to not save them both. I don't believe one more important than the other and I don't know any way I could make that decision. So instead of letting both die I guess I'd just have to flip a coin and live with it. I hope I will never have to make such a decision.

And as I said above, despite being a vegetarian myself, I'm not saying humans shouldn't eat meat. It's natural and it's a valid dietary choice. That doesn't mean we're somehow more precious than the animals we eat any more than a crocodile is more precious than a bird it makes its snack. It's just the hard truth of the food chain.

I think it's funny that an atheist is using something that comes from the Bible, though. :-)

Which bit of that came from the Bible? I don't remember too much emphasis on fuzzy logic in there.
    Not you, WendyTerry. The idea that humans have dominion over animals and that human life is more precious is a very Biblical idea.

No, it's really not. It's innate nature. Every animal species believes its own species to be dominant. That's how the organization of animals have established themselves. A pack of coyotes could overpower a few grey wolves, but the grey wolves pack together and hunt down coyotes to establish grey wolf dominance over them.

Humans are no different. Our intelligence and evolutionary advantages for tool creation have enabled us to establish ourselves as the dominant species on Earth. Therefore, humans are number one (or most precious, if you prefer,) while every other species is lower on the list. Maybe the Bible made reference to it, but it's certainly not a "biblical concept," as it's ingrained in human nature, and a part of the 6 billion other people on the planet that have neither read, nor follow the Christian Bible.

This.

We're apex predators due to the evolution of our species. It's not a moral or religious position, it's a fact of life position.

The same even happens in the plant world. Imagine a tree that falls in a dense forest. For a short time, there will be a break in the canopy and all the plants will race to fill it. The one that grows the fastest will survive, the rest will perish, starved of light. Some even resort to chemical warfare against their competitors. Pine tree needles have a growth inhibitor in them that many plants won't be able to germinate through. This way the pine will have fewer competitors for water and other nutrients.

It's just how life works and it has its brutal aspects at all levels, from the microscopic to the macroscopic.
  • likitisplit
    Options

I wouldn't say it's innate. I mean, if you count number one a different way, beetles or turtles could beat us. And I'm sure that bonobos would point to human and dolphin pan-sexuality as one of the reasons why we're almost as important as them.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Skip the part about the kittens if you're eating.
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

Skip the part about the kittens if you're eating.

But be sure to come back to it later after your food has had some time to move out of your stomach.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

I wouldn't say it's innate. I mean, if you count number one a different way, beetles or turtles could beat us. And I'm sure that bonobos would point to human and dolphin pan-sexuality as one of the reasons why we're almost as important as them.
    Well that's the point, every species see itself as dominant. Different ways of looking at it show different concepts. It's honestly very hard not to argue that ants are the dominant creature on earth. Or tardigrades for that matter. But we aren't ants, or tardigrades, so we see ourselves as dominant. Just as wolves see themselves as dominant. And tigers, and sharks, and elephants. We are (as far as I know) the only species that takes an active role in protecting other species. And then spend the rest of our time thinking about how we can destroy ourselves instead.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Well that's the point, every species see itself as dominant. Different ways of looking at it show different concepts. It's honestly very hard not to argue that ants are the dominant creature on earth. Or tardigrades for that matter. But we aren't ants, or tardigrades, so we see ourselves as dominant. Just as wolves see themselves as dominant. And tigers, and sharks, and elephants. We are (as far as I know) the only species that takes an active role in protecting other species. And then spend the rest of our time thinking about how we can destroy ourselves instead.

Have you read that ****enson (I think) poem that tells the story of God being created in our image? All I can remember is how black were the stripes of God as conceived of by tigers, but I couldn't find it on the internet anywhere.

On NPR, I once heard somebody say "Monkeys don't imagine what it would be like to be a jaguar." And I thought that was a cool perspective on being human.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

This.

We're apex predators due to the evolution of our species. It's not a moral or religious position, it's a fact of life position.

The same even happens in the plant world. Imagine a tree that falls in a dense forest. For a short time, there will be a break in the canopy and all the plants will race to fill it. The one that grows the fastest will survive, the rest will perish, starved of light. Some even resort to chemical warfare against their competitors. Pine tree needles have a growth inhibitor in them that many plants won't be able to germinate through. This way the pine will have fewer competitors for water and other nutrients.

It's just how life works and it has its brutal aspects at all levels, from the microscopic to the macroscopic.
    "Dominant" and "precious" are NOT the same thing.
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

This.

Thank you for pointing this out?
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options

This.

Thank you for pointing this out?

It's often said that people who have little to say quote a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote .

And you may quote me.
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

It's often said that people who have little to say quote a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote .

And you may quote me.

What?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    "History is written by the victors"
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

That is one of my favorites, and so true.

"If you don't know history, than you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree."
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options

Victor is given far too much credit. Bob was a ghost writer for Victor.
  • kilsafari
    kilsafari Posts: 61
    Options
    Jesus christ.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Jesus christ.

...Superstar!

rfBKpbM.gif