rudest thing anyone has ever said about your weight?

Options

Replies

• torichantel2005
    torichantel2005 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    No one ever really said anything when I was at my highest (which, let's be honest, wasn't THAT high, at 150). But now that I've lost weight (somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-30 pounds), multiple people have told me that I should stop now, that I don't need to lose anymore, that I'm too skinny. I find THAT to be as rude as anything. I have put in a lot of hard work, dedication, tears, stress, time, etc. to lose all that weight, and it would be nice if someone commended me for it rather than saying they didn't understand why I was losing weight to begin with. Uh, perhaps because by my BMI I was "overweight?" Perhaps because I couldn't run then and I can now? Perhaps because I can school my coworkers in Kenpo now? Perhaps because my heart rate is lower? Perhaps because I can buy clothes now and most of them actually fit and look decent on me, instead of being stretched to the max in my thighs, or that I can't find any in my size to begin with? Maybe because I actually feel somewhat comfortable in a bathing suit (something I have never felt before). I mean, none of those reasons matter, though.

(I would like to point out that my Husband is my biggest supporter and has cheered me on and rooted for me the entire way. He even came over to me the other day, with a 20 pound dumbbell in his hand, handed it to me, and said, "Is that heavy?" And I said, "Uh, yeah." He says, "You have lost MORE weight than that." Score 100 points for Hubby for pointing out something so obvious, but that I hadn't even thought of. What a perfect way to make me really see all that I have accomplished!)
  • akoorn1982
    akoorn1982 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Had one recently...I am sort off sure it was meant as a compliment but still..
    I was at the end of school party from the school I work, all teachers no students. It was at the beach with various activities and it was hot. So I changed into bikini top and capri. One of my coworkers told me 'I was so brave wearing that, well you know, you being a big girl'
    My response: well yes, I can't wear burka right. If anyone doesn't like it: feel free to look the other way....
  • magic8ballkr
    Options
    I was seeing a guy a few weeks ago and we had gone to the beach. I fell asleep and woke up to find he had left, whilst leaving a note written on sandwich paper, on my stomach which said "Not a Whale - Do Not Harpoon" ...

Needless to say, we aren't seeing each other anymore.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    My friend (or I thought he was) once accidentally sent a text to me that was meant for someone else where he was talking about me. He referred to me as "Tubby." I was devastated. I think I cried for 2 days. We also worked together, but he had just gotten another job and his last day was coming up quickly. I was so glad he was leaving and I would have to deal with his 2-faced crap. He had no idea that he had sent the text to the wrong person and was completely confused when I barely said a word to him the next time we worked together (his last day). He asked me if I was mad at him. I said yes. He asked why. I told him exactly why. He squirmed like I've never seen before.
  • brismum10
    brismum10 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    you know if I really liked you I would have helped you lose weight said the guy who had just found out I was having his baby then he left and had nothing to do with his daughter

and your pretty but if you were skinny youd be hot ouch
  • jiagetsfit
    jiagetsfit Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I totally stand to lose around 40lbs, but i was always a very active person. I like going for monsoon treks. My workplace organizes treks during monsoon and i try to attend most of the treks.

Last year i asked a colleague if she would like to join me on one. I waxed eloquent on all the locations i have trekked to, the waterfalls and forts i saw, the fun i had, the tumbles i took trekking down and so on.

The next question she asked was how are you fat if you are so active? I might be fat, i am a lot more stronger than her. Being skinny does not equals strong. And that was pretty much evident when she came with me. I practically dragged her to the top.

People usually have a misconception that when someone is stick thin, it is because they are active. I run faster than my friends wearing heels to catch a bus or train. But now when someone comments on me being fat, i look at them and smile with pity and then resume whatever i was doing. I learned the hard way that people are only as strong as you give them power and ignoring them gives me the power.
  • poetgirl115
    poetgirl115 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When I was about 13, this boy at my church (whom I had liked a few years before, but his tendency to split lizards in half had happily ended that little moment of insanity) told me that I was too ugly and fat to ever be loved. He said I'd probably die alone and get eaten by my cats.:noway:

B***h please. I'm a dog person... :laugh:

Seriously though, that comment stuck with me every time I looked in the mirror for years.
  • PrissyPisces
    PrissyPisces Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    When I was about 13, this boy at my church (whom I had liked a few years before, but his tendency to split lizards in half had happily ended that little moment of insanity) told me that I was too ugly and fat to ever be loved. He said I'd probably die alone and get eaten by my cats.:noway:

B***h please. I'm a dog person... :laugh:

Seriously though, that comment stuck with me every time I looked in the mirror for years.

:laugh: :sad: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :sad: :laugh: "B**ch please. I'm a dog person..." Woooooo! That was a goooood one. I love it.
  • JamieD328
    JamieD328 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    An old family friend told me I'd been so beautiful, and that I'd ruined myself by having children.
  • jiagetsfit
    jiagetsfit Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    An old family friend told me I'd been so beautiful, and that I'd ruined myself by having children.

IMHO, rude is an understatement. That's downright inhuman thing to say.

Does that 'family friend' have any kids?
  • Desifreckle
    Desifreckle Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm highschool this boy told me I would never have a boyfriend. Jokes on him now.
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Random lady in the checkout line at the grocery store "when is the baby due?"

Mom when I was 12 "You don't have the figure for that top." All I said was that it was cute.

Dad when I was about 13 "if you don't go on a diet, I will make you go on one."

Teacher of a diabetes class "that's probably why you're so unhealthy." I never mentioned anything about my health. Which is perfect, by the way.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I work from home mostly so when I'm in the office I take any available desk but there are no extra phones. When I joked to my boss about spending most of the day walking to and from her office every time I had a question, she replied, "That's ok, you could use the exercise." I thought that was somewhat inappropriate, plus I had already lost some weight so it pissed me off. I did take great satisfaction in seeing her jaw drop on my next visit, having lost another 40 lbs.
  • boobeey
    boobeey Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I personally hate to hear someone say "oh she has a pretty face" or yeah she a big girl but she dresses nice.
  • Fat_Chancer
    Options
    Lady in line...yes at Mc Donalds...asked if I knew what I was having. I said um...I'm not pregnant. I'm just fat. She said oh...people thing my daughter is too. I said oh that is nice.

Maybe she was asking what you were having to eat eg a Big Mac or a Quarter Pounder.
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Rudest comment was actually when I was at my skinniest. Only in the last four years have I gained weight and it wasn't even bad (but it was bad for me) but 15 years ago I was actually desperate to gain weight. At 5'6" I was 100 lbs and no matter what I ate I could not gain. I looked like crap.

I was at the supermarket, l had a container of ice cream in my hand and was looking at the flavors, trying to chose a second one and a lady came up to me and said "Why even bother when you are going to force yourself to throw up anyway?"
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    My son has lost about 120 lbs but before that, every time he would go on a diet my advice to him was not to tell anyone because I noticed that when he did people who on the one hand tell him he needed to lose weight would on the other try to sabotage him. While it was "you don't need another serving" when he was not dieting, as soon as he was it would change to "oh, you need to have some more fried chicken".
  • pzacher68
    pzacher68 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I went from 330 to 250. I am 6-4 and have an athletic/muscular build from my time in the Army. I thought I was in a reasonable shape considering the progress I've made, but "How much more do you have to lose?" was not very welcomed.
  • allant535
    allant535 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    At a recent job interview with a well known Scottish owned London bus company, I was told Sorry for any upset but we never employ anyone as fat as you as you break our drivers seats come back when you are lighter. This despite only being 4 kg over their cut off point. Needless to say I told them where to poke the job.
  • phil4v7
    phil4v7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    There are plenty from growing up, including several from family, but the most recent was from a coworker without saying a single word. I lost 75 lbs back in 2012 and last ran into her when I was near my lowest weight. After regaining all of the weight since then, I ran into her again earlier this year at a work function and she did a whiplash double take. Her eyes went wide and she looked me up and down, with the expression of "I can't believe you put all that weight back on" and then she blushed and moved off. She never actually said a word, which I'm thankful for, but I could tell she realized what she'd done and avoided me for the rest of the function.