Is 'eating at deficit' enough?

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I've contributed that you can eat what you want without having to worry about stupid things such as mayonnaise on vegetables so long as you consistently track your caloric intake.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Cooking destroys nutrients. Vegetable oil causes oxidative damage in the body, reducing the effects of any nutrients in the vegetables. Please, it's not rocket science.

Got it. I will eat raw potatoes moving forward.

Good. Raw potatoes contain high amounts of resistant starch. It's very good for you ;)

So, eating something that is potentially toxic is "good for you"?

I was being facetious. But never mind, I'm sure you like arguing anyway.

No, but I like laughing at pretentious people.

Oh because you're such a nice agreeable person :D

Yeppers!

1373400386_tumblr_monpx1vmdp1rbf7czo1_500.gif
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

You're right. I made a mistake. See how you can admit to being incorrect about one point of a discussion and the forums don't burst into flame? You should try it sometime. That being admitted, I did not prove your point.

Omega 6 isn't automatically unhealthy for you. Too much of anything is not good for you. If your ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 is 3 to 1, you'll be perfectly healthy. If your ratio is 10 to 1 then an individual might experience that inflammation you keep talking about, though not everyone will be so affected. You don't have to cut vegetable oil or other omega 6 rich oils completely out of your diet in order to be healthy if you like them, you just have to moderate it.

As i said before, moderation is a good thing.

On the other hand, demonizing (or 'angelizing' for that matter) any food or nutrient is rarely a good idea.

Where was I wrong but couldn't admit I was wrong? I've tried to be as accurate as possible - not to ne "pretentious" but because this is actually my line of work and I care about it. I do not want to be spouting misinformation and I don't think I have. But please point out anything I may have got wrong and I'll be prepared to take another look.

Well you did prove what I said about sunflower oil being high in omega 6 fats and omega 6 fats are found in a LOT of foods so you don't need to get them from processed oils that are damaged when used in cooking anyway. Too much omega 6 fat is bad for you and omega 3s are not as common and this is why you need to limit omega 6 oils. It might not be as bad if you're eating a lot of oily fish and on a daily basis, but that is rarely the case yet people are using omega 6 oils regularly and they are overly processed. Omega 6 oils are also used regularly in processed foods, fast foods and restaurant foods. Olive oil is damaged when cooked too. If you're only having omega 6s occasionally it might not be a problem, but that is not going to be the case unless you actively avoid them.

In the interest of not having a wall of quotes, I'm just posting the latest responses. Here's the answer to your question using what you typed word for word:

1. For some people, calories alone can cause weight loss.

Followed soon after by this contradicting statement:

2. I do not disagree that a calorie deficit is needed, but in many cases it is not the only factor.

And then followed by this:

3. I never said calories DON'T matter for some of us!

4. Cooking destroys nutrients.

5. But eating a large meal is not a binge, it is overeating.

6. a salad drowning in a sunflower oil based dressing is not healthy, whereas a salad with a little olive oil IS healthy

And that's excluding pages 6 - 9.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I've contributed that you can eat what you want without having to worry about stupid things such as mayonnaise on vegetables so long as you consistently track your caloric intake.

I hate it when I read stuff like this right after lunch.

gross_gif-gif-1.gif
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

You're right. I made a mistake. See how you can admit to being incorrect about one point of a discussion and the forums don't burst into flame? You should try it sometime. That being admitted, I did not prove your point.

Omega 6 isn't automatically unhealthy for you. Too much of anything is not good for you. If your ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 is 3 to 1, you'll be perfectly healthy. If your ratio is 10 to 1 then an individual might experience that inflammation you keep talking about, though not everyone will be so affected. You don't have to cut vegetable oil or other omega 6 rich oils completely out of your diet in order to be healthy if you like them, you just have to moderate it.

On the other hand, demonizing (or 'angelizing' for that matter) any food or nutrient is rarely a good idea.

Where was I wrong but couldn't admit I was wrong? I've tried to be as accurate as possible - not to ne "pretentious" but because this is actually my line of work and I care about it. I do not want to be spouting misinformation and I don't think I have. But please point out anything I may have got wrong and I'll be prepared to take another look.

Well you did prove what I said about sunflower oil being high in omega 6 fats and omega 6 fats are found in a LOT of foods so you don't need to get them from processed oils that are damaged when used in cooking anyway. Too much omega 6 fat is bad for you and omega 3s are not as common and this is why you need to limit omega 6 oils. It might not be as bad if you're eating a lot of oily fish and on a daily basis, but that is rarely the case yet people are using omega 6 oils regularly and they are overly processed. Omega 6 oils are also used regularly in processed foods, fast foods and restaurant foods. Olive oil is damaged when cooked too. If you're only having omega 6s occasionally it might not be a problem, but that is not going to be the case unless you actively avoid them.

In the interest of not having a wall of quotes, I'm just posting the latest responses. Here's the answer to your question using what you typed word for word:

2. I do not disagree that a calorie deficit is needed, but in many cases it is not the only factor.

6. a salad drowning in a sunflower oil based dressing is not healthy, whereas a salad with a little olive oil IS healthy

good summary ...and agreed ...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Penny, you are right......everyone of us are clearly wrong. You win the internet. Can we stop now? There was no reason for you to even comment on this with your flamethrower. Please just stop.

x2. Plzgo.

Munch on a Eucalyptus tree or something for them raw greens.

As far as I can see, you have contributed nothing to this thread apart from making pointless attacks and arguing silly points. At least I'm actually trying to contribute something.

as opposed to you who just came in here and de-railed the whole thread and contradicted yourself about 20 times...
  • pennyllayne
    pennyllayne Posts: 265
    Options

So that's nothing then.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

good summary ...and agreed ...

Yep. It's damn near perfect. Somebody send these Cliffs to Jof. He's always asking for Clifs on these types of threads.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I'm really confused by all the piles of quotes, the contradictory comments and whatnot.

I've read through some of the posts here, and some people are saying that calorie deficit is good enough by itself to lose weight, while other are saying that it's all about the calories going in vs. the ones going out.

Is there an answer for this topic, or does it simply matter on the person itself?
    I just feel like it's dangerous and not really healthy for people to be commenting on these kinds of topics without having proper knowledge.
    However that's just my opinion, and it's not meant to offend anyone in any way.
    I'm just looking for some legitimate answers to help my weight loss.

And here it is!!!! This is why I was so adamantly digging my heels in. Pennylayne, would you agree with me to advise this lady to just worry about calories to get started? Because that is all that matters for weight loss?

I have only read up til this point now, because it is such a train wreck I am compelled to see when it eventually gets locked, but I will step in to comment on this last post.

The reason that you shouldn't tell someone starting out, that all that matters is staying under your calorie goal is because someone who is used to a diet of french fries, chips, donuts, etc, that decides to use their 1400 calories a day on those foods, then they are cutting out a lot of protein and nutrients that they would be getting on a diet of meats and veggies, etc. And they would be starving all day trying to stay under those cals that are mostly carbs that break down quickly and spike insulin.

So after trying to stay under their goal for a few days while starving and feeling like crap, they give up and decide that 'diets' don't work.

If people will just use some common sense and eat a variety of proteins, carbs, and healthy fats, with plenty of nutrient rich veggies and some fruit, then they can lose weight, feel great, and create a new way of eating that is sustainable for life. They can also have occasional high sugar/fat/calorie treat so that they don't feel deprived.

Telling someone new that they can eat whatever they want, as long as they eat in a deficit, is irresponsible.
    Telling someone new that they can never have cake or cookies again, and must eat like a rabbit every day, is also irresponsible.

And the same people come into these threads with the same extreme arguments, just to nitpick at everything someone types, looking for an argument. Sheez. In the words of someone I have forgotten their name... "Can't we all just get along?" :flowerforyou:

No, what is irresponsible is complicating something that is really simple. People will figure the other part out on their own. It took you 5 paragraphs to say all that and most newbs won't even know what you are talking about.

Count these paragraphs.

For weight loss all you need is a calorie deficit.

I'll help. One sentence.
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    No, actually it's not hard at all. It's only hard if you define "enough" by high-protein diet plan standards - which is what these people are doing.

I don't know if this was in reply to me. If it was, I suppose I would find it hard because I don't get on with the higher protein vegetarian options ;). It would be too much carbohydrate for me too. I don't think protein needs to be that high at all really. The RDA is 0.8g per kg of bodyweight, so as long as you are getting that much you should be fine. You need more depending on activity. But if what you're doing is working for you and you feel good then that is great :)

Thank you so much for your seal of approval.
  • LolBroScience
    Options

So that's nothing then.

I'm willing to bet that people would be more inclined to read you can eat foods you enjoy and still achieve successful weight loss so long as you keep a deficit... rather than your 206 posts, all of which are in this thread alone.
  • pennyllayne
    Options

Points 1 and 2 do not contradict each other. I said for SOME calorie counting alone can cause weight loss and then I said that for many it is not the only factor. Those are 2 separate points.

Point 3 is simply pointing out that I have said a calorie deficit is needed, just repeating what I said in points 1 and 2.

Why is point 4 wrong? Cooking does destroy nutrients. It's a vague response but it's true.

Point 5 is also vague, but it is not wrong. I should have elaborated knowing how you people like to pick things apart but I was making a point about bingeing, that if a large meal is either a binge or overeating it is the latter.

Why is point 6 wrong? I already explained a few times why sunflower oil is not healthy. You haven't said anything that proves that I am wrong about that.

I don't mind you pointing out errors, but you need to give me an explanation as to WHY they're wrong. If I believed they were wrong in the first place I wouldn't have said them.
  • pennyllayne
    Options

So that's nothing then.

I'm willing to bet that people would be more inclined to read you can eat foods you enjoy and still achieve successful weight loss so long as you keep a deficit... rather than your 206 posts, all of which are in this thread alone.

You may be right, but at least I'm offering some in depth information. Whereas you are not.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I'm really confused by all the piles of quotes, the contradictory comments and whatnot.

I've read through some of the posts here, and some people are saying that calorie deficit is good enough by itself to lose weight, while other are saying that it's all about the calories going in vs. the ones going out.

Is there an answer for this topic, or does it simply matter on the person itself?
    I just feel like it's dangerous and not really healthy for people to be commenting on these kinds of topics without having proper knowledge.

And here it is!!!! This is why I was so adamantly digging my heels in. Pennylayne, would you agree with me to advise this lady to just worry about calories to get started? Because that is all that matters for weight loss?

I have only read up til this point now, because it is such a train wreck I am compelled to see when it eventually gets locked, but I will step in to comment on this last post.

The reason that you shouldn't tell someone starting out, that all that matters is staying under your calorie goal is because someone who is used to a diet of french fries, chips, donuts, etc, that decides to use their 1400 calories a day on those foods, then they are cutting out a lot of protein and nutrients that they would be getting on a diet of meats and veggies, etc. And they would be starving all day trying to stay under those cals that are mostly carbs that break down quickly and spike insulin.

So after trying to stay under their goal for a few days while starving and feeling like crap, they give up and decide that 'diets' don't work.

If people will just use some common sense and eat a variety of proteins, carbs, and healthy fats, with plenty of nutrient rich veggies and some fruit, then they can lose weight, feel great, and create a new way of eating that is sustainable for life. They can also have occasional high sugar/fat/calorie treat so that they don't feel deprived.

Telling someone new that they can eat whatever they want, as long as they eat in a deficit, is irresponsible.
    Telling someone new that they can never have cake or cookies again, and must eat like a rabbit every day, is also irresponsible.

And the same people come into these threads with the same extreme arguments, just to nitpick at everything someone types, looking for an argument. Sheez. In the words of someone I have forgotten their name... "Can't we all just get along?" :flowerforyou:

No, what is irresponsible is complicating something that is really simple. People will figure the other part out on their own. It took you 5 paragraphs to say all that and most newbs won't even know what you are talking about.

Count these paragraphs.

I'll help. One sentence.

Prattiger, you are right......everyone of us are clearly wrong. You win the internet. Can we stop now? :happy:
  • pennyllayne
    Options
    Penny, you are right......everyone of us are clearly wrong. You win the internet. Can we stop now? There was no reason for you to even comment on this with your flamethrower. Please just stop.

x2. Plzgo.

Munch on a Eucalyptus tree or something for them raw greens.

As far as I can see, you have contributed nothing to this thread apart from making pointless attacks and arguing silly points. At least I'm actually trying to contribute something.

as opposed to you who just came in here and de-railed the whole thread and contradicted yourself about 20 times...

I'm still waiting for evidence that I've contradicted myself. I don't believe anything I've said above is contradictory, but you seem to have a difficult time understanding simple things I've said. Not sure how I derailed the thread...I've given my responses as best I can and have been met with pointless attacks.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

Count these paragraphs.

I'll help. One sentence.

Prattiger, you are right......everyone of us are clearly wrong. You win the internet. Can we stop now? :happy:

Glad you see it my way. Yes we can. And thanks!!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

So that's nothing then.

You may be right, but at least I'm offering some in depth information. Whereas you are not.

Having depth and saying a bunch of words that aren't correct isn't really the same thing.
  • pennyllayne
    Options

So that's nothing then.

Having depth and saying a bunch of words that aren't correct isn't really the same thing.

No one has pointed out where I've been incorrect though. You just keep saying I'm wrong and contradicting myself yet not actually proving it...
  • LolBroScience
    Options

No. I'm offering practical advice, rather than a bunch of jargon that isn't tailored to the majority of the audience on this website as already point out in the post above.

Have you wondered why nearly every single individual in this thread is arguing against you? It's how you present yourself.