Paleo?

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,024 Member
    Options
    Not all brain function requires glucose. Some brain function absolutely requires glucose, but it's only something like 25%. The rest is more than happy to use ketones as its fuel source.

But why bother?

Some people have a harder time with carbs, so for them, it's easier to eat a high fat low carb diet. That's especially true for people with issues like insulin resistance.

It is not true for most people, and it silly to suggest to someone who has no health issues.

Well, some groups estimate that 25% of the US population -- or 80 million people -- have insulin resistance. And that takes quite a threshold to become insulin resistance. So, it's not absurd to think that there are quite a few people with carb sensitivity issues, even if they don't rise to the level of Celiacs, Type 2 diabetes or insulin resistance.

And, there are many that didn't think they had any issues (myself included) and were shocked at how much better they felt after eliminating grains from their diet. As I said, I've known quite a few people who had this experience and it's not an uncommon experience among those that have tried Paleo/Primal -- you see other MFPers having said the same thing. So, it doesn't seem all that silly to me.

Insulin resistance is no reason to eliminate grains entirely.
    A good reason to exercise and lose weight though.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    It's a fad diet
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It's a fad diet

How are you defining fad diet?
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    It's a fad diet

Look up the definition of fad and diet. Start with www.google.com
  • likitisplit
    Options
    It's a fad diet

Girly, I've made the argument. I was wondering what definition YOU were using as it is, in fact, a nutritionally balanced food philosophy. Would you consider vegetarianism a fad diet?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    It's a fad diet

Girly, I've made the argument. I was wondering what definition YOU were using as it is, in fact, a nutritionally balanced food philosophy. Would you consider vegetarianism a fad diet?

I might argue the "balanced" part of Paleo :)….but I do not think it is a fad….
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I think I eat mostly paleo on accident and I just realized it now LOL. I never even knew what it was but I just looked it up. However the only reason I've been cutting carbs is for my cutting cycle 20/40/40. I actually really like it and those are just the foods I enjoy. I love fat (nuts, oils, etc). I do eat a little dairy though. I eat yogurt every day! I still wouldn't call myself a paleo person. I don't really care what my "dieting label" is I just do what I want and what works for me. In the winter I like my carbs. It seems like once you slap a label on something people go bizerk!!! Whether you're paleo, IIFYM, gluten free, vegan, purple, orange, whatever. Everyone is different.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    It's a fad diet

There's a big difference between a fad diet like paleo and vegetarianism. For one, most vegetarian's don't eat a vegetarian diet for weight loss. Most people that are on a paleo diet are for weightloss.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It's a fad diet

There's a big difference between a fad diet like paleo and vegetarianism. For one, most vegetarian's don't eat a vegetarian diet for weight loss. Most people that are on a paleo diet are for weightloss.

I wouldn't agree with that at all. I know a lot of people who do Paleo and almost none of them do it for weight loss. On this board, yes, a lot of people are doing it for weight loss, but I also see a lot of people go vegetarian/vegan strictly for weight loss as well.
  • queenofozfitness
    Options
    Alright, I've been a little afraid to post this because I heard it will start "forum flame wars," but I've just heard different things about it and I was wondering exactly what it is and why it may be good/bad for you. What are the pros/cons? Have any of you tried it?

Sorry in advance for any arguments this thread may cause....

Pros - Get to join the cult of paleo, may also be accepted to the cult of crossfit

Cons- Unnecessary for weightloss and health (medical reasons not withstanding), wheat, legumes and dairy are pretty tasty

Did we just become best friends?
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    It's a fad diet

I wouldn't agree with that at all. I know a lot of people who do Paleo and almost none of them do it for weight loss. On this board, yes, a lot of people are doing it for weight loss, but I also see a lot of people go vegetarian/vegan strictly for weight loss as well.

Well it's pretty dumb to go vegetarians or vegan for weightloss but I have seen people do it for that reason on this site, but I was't speaking for mfp I was generally speaking. Vegetarianism is usually from a moral stand point. There is no moral reason to have a "paleo" diet.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It's a fad diet

Well it's pretty dumb to go vegetarians or vegan for weightloss but I have seen people do it for that reason on this site, but I was't speaking for mfp I was generally speaking. Vegetarianism is usually from a moral stand point. There is no moral reason to have a "paleo" diet.

Actually there is. Paleo promotes eating meat from farms that do not use factory farming methods - free range, grass fed , etc - which a lot of people (even those who don't eat paleo) feel is morally and ethically better. I've done vegetarian but never was against eating animal products, I was not/am not a fan of factory farming. I prefer to get my meat and eggs from local sources that don't mass produce. Also, a lot of proponents of Paleo promote responsible farming techniques since the idea is to get away from chemicals. A friend of mine posted was a really great video of a guy with a farm in the US who used old farming methods to fertilize and feed his animals that was far more environmentally friendly and promoted how the animals would naturally eat. (this was a promoting Paleo and eating this way).

While they are not necessarily connected, there can be a moral stand point to Paleo, it just doesn't agree with the moral stnad point of vegetarianism.

There are tons of books out there promoting vegetaranism as a weight loss option, not from a moral standpoint. Even veganism has been promoted for weight loss without the ethical standpoint (not that I agree with that, I don't quite get it).

Haha, I know it sounds like I am pro-Paleo, I am not.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    It's a fad diet

I've known people IRL to go vegan for weight loss. The food restrictions end up acting to restrict calories because it's less readily available.

My husband actively hates chickens and was vegetarian because he believed meat was bad for him (also soviet Russia didn't have the handling standards we do).
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,024 Member
    Options
    It's a fad diet

Actually there is. Paleo promotes eating meat from farms that do not use factory farming methods - free range, grass fed , etc - which a lot of people (even those who don't eat paleo) feel is morally and ethically better. I've done vegetarian but never was against eating animal products, I was not/am not a fan of factory farming. I prefer to get my meat and eggs from local sources that don't mass produce. Also, a lot of proponents of Paleo promote responsible farming techniques since the idea is to get away from chemicals. A friend of mine posted was a really great video of a guy with a farm in the US who used old farming methods to fertilize and feed his animals that was far more environmentally friendly and promoted how the animals would naturally eat. (this was a promoting Paleo and eating this way).

While they are not necessarily connected, there can be a moral stand point to Paleo, it just doesn't agree with the moral stnad point of vegetarianism.

There are tons of books out there promoting vegetaranism as a weight loss option, not from a moral standpoint. Even veganism has been promoted for weight loss without the ethical standpoint (not that I agree with that, I don't quite get it).

Haha, I know it sounds like I am pro-Paleo, I am not.
    I thought only vegans had morals, most think they do. j/k.
  • SuperShell0812
    Options
    A bit late in thread and no way I can read all those posts and seems like the discussion has gone off on a tangent or maybe not lol...but weight loss is created through a calorie deficiet and you don't need to go paleo to achieve that. Now if eating paleo makes you feel better that's a different story, but paleo is no magic cure for weight loss. You still need a deficet even if your eating paleo.
  • SuperShell0812
    Options
    I think this should definitely be a personal choice regardless of the label. I have been mostly "Paleo" for about two months. For the past two years, I have dealt with major digestive issues and after major food journaling and miserable belly issues, decided the more grains (especially wheat) I consumed, the more miserable I felt. I don't follow it strictly, and I definitely don't call myself a cavewoman. I still eat dairy in moderation (it doesn't like me that well either) and when I get caught in a situation where Paleo type food isn't an option (this doesn't happen often since most anywhere will have a salad :), I will have whatever I think is the best choice for me at that moment--not a junkie eater so it's usually the salad...:P

I am a distance runner and have actually discovered I feel better in general and recover faster. I don't feel the need to carb-load with anything, and, surprisingly, manage longer runs better then ever. I no longer have the sluggishness throughout the day (I'm a teacher) and never have the blood sugar crashes (this was a persistent issue for me) that even "whole" grains would give me. Eating minimally processed foods is the key to any way of eating. I would really suggest you keep a food journal and do what makes you feel the best each day :)

Per bolded above:
    Can you really be 'mostly' paleo? I have an in-law that claims she's 'mostly' vegetarian until she's eating that bratwurst. Doesn't being paleo, like being vegetarian mean you have to follow certain guidelines? Aren't you just eating what you want if you 'cheat'? It should be, "I've been trying to be paleo for two months now though I often find myself failing." That seems way more honest though it might interfer with a person's ability to tell other people how awesome it is while maintaining a straight face.

Or is it based on a percentage? If you eat according to the diet 90% of the time, you can still claim the title and use it to tell people how much better you are than your friends because you're taking part in a way of eating that requires a name and specific guidelines with specifically claimed health benefits?

I think you should be all or none and you have to go all the way for at least a year before you are allowed mention how amazing it is to a single person without being specifically asked about it first. I would prefer never but I suppose if you stick to it for a year you might as well get something out of it (honestly, this goes for any diet, no matter it's name or conditions).

this is what I was referring to earlier about the "verbal gymnastics" people do to claim they are "paleo" …if it is really so great then commit to it 100% ….the fact that so many really can't seems to indicate it is too restrictive or just not as beneficial as the paleo/primal/80/20 paleo/maybe primal/et al crew claim...
    Well paleo does have its own Paleo cake, muffin and alternative recipes but it's find to hard a paleo substitute that's as good as real pizza lol
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Well paleo does have its own Paleo cake, muffin and alternative recipes but it's find to hard a paleo substitute that's as good as real pizza lol
    Meatza?

16ad32a0-ad9c-49a4-a071-d03c88dd8ed7_zps0a506a18.jpg
  • sblueyez
    sblueyez Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Paleo is the only way I can lose weight. I was dealing with a stubborn weight problem and went to the doctor who suggested Paleo. I tried it and lost weight right away. Every time I eat something that isn't paleo, I gain weight and have trouble getting rid of it. I really suggest it. It's like I'm giving my body food that it knows how to deal with. Even my skin clears up and my nails grow strong and fast (they used to peel). Paleo is not for the faint of heart or for those who can't put some effort in to making a paleo version of a craving, but it does work, it does help with weight loss for me, and I feel so much better when I'm on it. It is very hard to keep up though, because it is so much easier to buy prepared/processed foods. Just my two cents.
  • lablamires
    lablamires Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Meatza?

This made me laugh :laugh:
    it also looks delicious.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Meatza?

This made me laugh :laugh:
    it also looks delicious.

That does look delicious! Mmmm I'm gong to Google a recipe!