Paleo?

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Good tip! I'll try that.

ETA: Most paleo folks *do* have some creative, delicious ways to cook meat.

LOL yeah- they do some up with some creative ways to cook that stuff- I don't' always google for paleo recipes- but it's a nice way to get different stuff. I do like some sub's they make- I'd have never found spaghetti squash with out them!!! And I love that chit!!!

jumping back on the train-

yes- pleasure- nutrient- I'm so on board with this.

Jesus would have eaten oreo's too- I know. We are homie's like that.

also peeps- it's Jesus's food of the month!
  • evastar
    evastar Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would say a big pro of eating "paleo" is it cuts out inflammatory foods (grains, refined sugar) which is beneficial because inflammation in our bodies is the cause of autoimmune diseases, cancer, alzheimer's, parkinsons', etc etc over time. Legumes are avoided because of phytic acid, I believe? and dairy because lactose and casein are common irritants (although a lot of people can handle dairy just fine). But mostly I think the avoidance of grains and sugar is what makes it a healthy choice.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Hi, Nutrition student at UC Davis, currently taking 4 different nutrition classes taught by doctors who specialize in fields like 'fad diets'. United States medical and nutrition journals have shown the paleo diet to be a success in individual's weight loss goals, however it is not sustainable and should be monitored very carefully. It's also important to understand how the paleo diet works physiologically. If you are consuming (in general, varies by person due to genetic variation) less than 130g of carbohydrates a day (carbohydrates are fruits, vegetables, grains and legumes) in 4-7 days your body will become ketonic and you may experience dizziness, loss of appetite and weight loss. So what is ketonic and why are you losing weight? - Carbohydrates are broken down into thousands of glucose units and stored at 'glycogen' in your muscles. Glycogen is a huge energy source for your body and is used during physical activity. Glycogen is also stored with water. So when you go on a paleo diet your body starts to become depleted of its glycogen stores and because glycogen is stored with water you also lose lots of water weight - which can be anywhere from 5-10lbs of water. Your brain NEEDS glucose for energy, glucose is the ONLY energy that the brain uses and the recommended 130g of carbohydrates a day is based off of what your brain uses per day (again varies person to person). So if this diet is prolonged your body will start to become ketonic - which means that because you have no stores of glycogen, and limited blood glucose available as fuel, your body will start to break down proteins - you will feel lethargic, have bad breath, offensive flatulence, ect. Again these results MAY vary from person to person, however the research is solid on how you body deals with under consuming carbohydrates. Which is why any nutritionist, dietician would not recommend a diet, but rather a mixed diet. If you are however a professional athlete or competitor, doing the paleo or the now popular high fat diet may be advised to you by your athletic coaches.

Not all brain function requires glucose. Some brain function absolutely requires glucose, but it's only something like 25%. The rest is more than happy to use ketones as its fuel source.

But why bother?

Some people have a harder time with carbs, so for them, it's easier to eat a high fat low carb diet. That's especially true for people with issues like insulin resistance.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    it cuts out inflammatory foods (grains, refined sugar) which is beneficial because inflammation in our bodies is the cause of autoimmune diseases, cancer, alzheimer's, parkinsons

That is a bold statement...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,023 Member
    Options
    it cuts out inflammatory foods (grains, refined sugar) which is beneficial because inflammation in our bodies is the cause of autoimmune diseases, cancer, alzheimer's, parkinsons

It's chronic inflammation that's problematic and really doesn't have much to do with eating moderate amounts of what some people refer to as inflammatory foods......
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Hmm... I think Jesus did paleo, and he was *ripped*.

No. He ate bread.
    and drank wine...

Wines allowed on primal.

I have a feeling given enough time so will bread...

What sort of bread? Maybe when they discover it's amazing nutritional properties they will let it in! Lol

It's most valuable nutrient is pleasure... and make no mistake, pleasure is a nutrient.

Sorry but it doesn't ring my bell, Now a big bowl of chilli, that the most nutrient rich food for me (that's if pleasure is the nutrient of choice). Lol
  • J72FIT
    Options

No. He ate bread.
    and drank wine...

Wines allowed on primal.

What sort of bread? Maybe when they discover it's amazing nutritional properties they will let it in! Lol

It's most valuable nutrient is pleasure... and make no mistake, pleasure is a nutrient.

Sorry but it doesn't ring my bell, Now a big bowl of chilli, that the most nutrient rich food for me (that's if pleasure is the nutrient of choice). Lol

Yep... as long as there are beans in there and I have a nice piece of italien bread to sop up all the juice ;)

How about smoked salmon, goat cheese on two slices of sprouted whole wheat bread.... oh yeah!
  • lindsey1979
    Options

It's chronic inflammation that's problematic and really doesn't have much to do with eating moderate amounts of what some people refer to as inflammatory foods......

It really depends on the person. For some people, there certainly are certain foods that exacerbate the inflammation. So, once they eliminate them from their diet, they gain considerable relief.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

No. He ate bread.
    and drank wine...

Wines allowed on primal.

Yep... as long as there are beans in there and I have a nice piece of italien bread to sop up all the juice ;)

How about smoked salmon, goat cheese on two slices of sprouted whole wheat bread.... oh yeah!

We'll call it a "Jesus Sandwich"
  • likitisplit
    Options

No. He ate bread.
    and drank wine...

Yes, this.

And then He said not live on *just* bread alone.

I think the word of God is allowed on all diets :)
  • J72FIT
    Options

It really depends on the person. For some people, there certainly are certain foods that exacerbate the inflammation. So, once they eliminate them from their diet, they gain considerable relief.

True but to say that inflammation IS THE CAUSE?
  • JoRocka
    Options

No. He ate bread.
    and drank wine...

Yes, this.

I think the world of God is allowed on all diets :)

very generous of him!!!

what does that fit in for macros? fat?
  • lindsey1979
    Options

I'm pretty sure the person is confused on that. Inflammation is the result of auto-immune disease, and the extent varies and can be affected by many factors. But, the gist of her idea is pretty much the same -- that eliminating/reducing those triggers will eliminate/reduce the inflammation.
  • J72FIT
    Options

I'm pretty sure the person is confused on that.

Yes, clearly...
  • likitisplit
    Options

No. He ate bread.
    and drank wine...

Yes, this.

very generous of him!!!

We keep forgetting that Alcohol is a macro.
  • JoRocka
    Options

No. He ate bread.
    and drank wine...

Yes, this.

very generous of him!!!

word of god = alcohol = macro

I could make that mental leap- except I actually like alcohol
  • likitisplit
    Options

No. He ate bread.
    and drank wine...

Yes, this.

very generous of him!!!

Maybe you need to drink some more before it comes together for you?
  • JoRocka
    Options

Maybe you need to drink some more before it comes together for you?

that explains the mass thing- I'll get right on that tonight- or maybe tomorrow- or both- who knows! It's april- apparently I need God in my life.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

No. He ate bread.
    and drank wine...

Wines allowed on primal.

True chili does not have beans in it. :bigsmile:
  • J72FIT
    Options

No. He ate bread.
    and drank wine...

Wines allowed on primal.

True chili does not have beans in it. :bigsmile:

But good chili does...