Teen girl kicked out of Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Wow. What in the world is she supposed to be wearing??? She is dressed 100% appropriately. This is pathetic. Thank goodness I don't have a membership there. My nike pro core shorts would have made the swap team crash through the windows:laugh:

What the hell is a swap team? Are they the people who come in and swap out your inappropriate clothes for less offensive ones.
    Yes, but first they throw a sheet of tarpaulin over you to ensure nobody is offended during the swap.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Wow. What in the world is she supposed to be wearing??? She is dressed 100% appropriately. This is pathetic. Thank goodness I don't have a membership there. My nike pro core shorts would have made the swap team crash through the windows:laugh:

What the hell is a swap team? Are they the people who come in and swap out your inappropriate clothes for less offensive ones.

I meant SWAT team and you what the hell I meant

:laugh:
    :sad: :wink:
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    WOW!! I see absolutely nothing wrong with that outfit. Everything that needs to be covered is covered.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Her arms are showing.

TOO MUCH SKIN.

I feel like Planet Fitness needs a reality check. Judgement free? Whatever.

And yet, the observant Muslim woman, who had skin AND hair covered due to her religion, was also kicked out because she wanted to cover her hair!

PF is some sorta crazy.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness isn't even a gym. It's just a place for *kitten* to go and feel sorry for themselves.

Best quote in the thread
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    What on Earth are people in Planet Fitness wearing!? Parkas?

There is a guy at my PF who spends the entire winter running in what can best be described as a parka. I assume he's trying to train to run in high high heat. I generally use my PF for ice free running in the winter and weight training a couple times a week around my running. My PF really lets people do their thing without any grumbling. The only time I have ever heard the lunk alarm go off was because I let out a long LOUD stream of obscenities after Brady threw a pick.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness has many ridiculous policies... I'm honestly not even surprised.
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I joined a PF recently (about 3 weeks ago). Based on all of the press I was afraid to breath at first when using the free weights or slide up my sleeves when curling. It seems like a pretty okay gym where I go. People don't seem uptight or easily offended. Time will tell. I work out as I normally would and no issues yet! :)
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    "Planet Fitness prohibits members from wearing “jeans, work boots, bandanas, skull caps or revealing apparel."

AND…racer back tanks…and head scarves. How about sweat bands? Head bands? How about regular tanks? Would they be OK?? But they would reveal my arms. (gasp) And I have 2!!! How 'bout shorts? Then I'd be revealing my legs. (double gasp)

Turtle necks and sweat pants. But, in a big size so it doesn't cling anywhere. Sorry….but that is ridiculous!! :ohwell:

Sorry, not allowed: http://runningwithmickey.com/tag/planet-fitness-code/

I'd be kicked out... I always wear an Under Armour head band. I'd overheat in a baseball hat & it doesn't keep the hair out of my face as well.

I wear a head band when I'm there to run more than 3 miles (cause that's when I need it). It's either my tough mudder orange headband, my spartan race headband for last year or the headband my wife told me to take off because "it makes you look gay". Never had anyone look sideways at me. Because these are franchises your experience may be different, but my PF really doesn't bother you much if at all. I just don't go there on the first monday of the month anymore, ever. Not because I'm afraid of pizza but because you can't move in there because the gym is suddenly full of people who don't go there for the rest of the month and are trying to eat more than 10 dollars worth of pizza to recoup their unused membership.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    "Another gym has offered Roth a lifetime membership allowing her to use the gym any time she wants"

I think she will be alright :drinker:
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is a joke..

" ... was making other customers uncomfortable."

Seems like Planet Fitness is 90% haters and jealous trolls trying to get the other 10% kicked out of the "Gym".

well there is a small percentage of us who are just poor and love the low cost membership. I also live in the country and the Planet Fitness I go to is on the edge of town so it's nice not to have to drive so far. Lastly, I have had nothing but great experiences at the one I go to. Folks are pretty nice, the personal trainer at the front desk graded my routine and offered her free of charge advice, and I have never heard the lunk alarm go off. Did I mention pizza from time to time?

With that said, I too believe she was fine in what she was wearing, being asked to cover up was a bit ridiculous.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    So much for a judgement free zone!
  • AirborneEd
    Options
    I'll stay at the rec center, they have yet to complain about my bald spot on my head.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    AND…racer back tanks…and head scarves. How about sweat bands? Head bands? How about regular tanks? Would they be OK??

I go to Gold's and there is a big sign in the front that says those things are not allowed in my gym.

But people wear them all the time, anyway, and no one ever says anything to them. I'm kind of curious why those things aren't allowed. It makes no sense.

It seems to me PF has pretty common rules for the most part. The difference is in enforcement. And from reading about PF on these boards, it seems like level of enforcement varies and some franchise locations are better than others.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,685 Member
    Options
    Lol, clothing makes PF members uncomfortable, but not eating three 400 calorie slices of pizza on Monday's?:laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I am a member of Planet Fitness and I see people wearing clothing like that all the time and they were never told to leave. Must be a Michigan thing.

Yeah, except it also happened in California. And in New Mexico an observant Muslim woman was kicked out for wearing her hijab (head scarf). The PF staff told her to put on a baseball cap instead. The safety aspect of the hijab was addressed and the concern was NOT safety. One guy (not sure where) was kicked out for filming himself flexing in the locker room ( okay, that might have been a privacy issue even though he claims the locker room was unoccupied except by him. Just because he wants to be filmed being an *kitten* doesn't mean everyone walking by wants to be filmed.)

"Nationally, the chain banishes about two members monthly, often for such shocking offenses as grunting, looking too hot or dropping one’s weights on the ground."

Retrieved from: http://www.vocativ.com/culture/health-culture/woman-ejected-planet-fitness-gym-toned/

hmmm... i think i will not join that place, EVEH
    you dont want to see this girl work out, i promise!!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Really? She looks fine to me.
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I would like to see a photo of what she was really wearing.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Josalinn says:
    "I totally feel for the ladies in the news stories ... my law school brain went racing down the First Amendment track"

Planet Fitness is not a government entity, so is not constrained by the Constitution.
    The restriction on the company comes from other laws which made special classes of people who are more equal, more deserving of government attention & protection. Companies can only get in trouble if they discriminate based on one of those qualities (skin color, religion, disability).

IMO, companies should be able to discriminate against anyone, for any reason, but they should be required to clearly state who is not welcome - in all ads, and by posting standardized signs on their entrance door(s). That way everyone can decide whether or not they want to give that company their money.

What, like in the UK in the past when businesses had "no blacks, no Irish" signs at the entrance?

:huh: :noway:

I think that's called "apartheid"
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    companies should be able to discriminate against anyone, for any reason, but they should be required to clearly state who is not welcome - in all ads, and by posting standardized signs on their entrance door(s). That way everyone can decide whether or not they want to give that company their money.

that's kind of brilliant! :drinker:

eta: let the bigots put themselves out of business.