Have you ever been celibate?

Options

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Started having sex when I was 12. Started having sex, with a partner, when I was 16. That was in 1970 and have never gone for a prolonged lentght of time without sex since.
  • mrfreestyle
    mrfreestyle Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    I kinda am now!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Yup, for three years after leaving my first husband. I took that time to get my head in a good place and to start taking care of myself and basically figuring out what a good relationship for me looks like. It was time well spent because within a week of online dating I met my current husband! (Yes, I know I am the exception. :wink: )

Now celibacy is going without for two days...lmao
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    abstinence= no sex with other people
    celibacy (as in being celibate)= no sex, no kissing, no *kitten*, no sexual stimulation of any kind.

Unaware of the difference. I still stand by my original comment of "Grumble". But mark me down in the abstinence (not by choice) category, rather than celibate.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who is shaking their head at the 8 pages of people who misunderstand the difference between abstinence and celibacy?

abstinence= no sex with other people
    celibacy (as in being celibate)= no sex, no kissing, no *kitten*, no sexual stimulation of any kind.

I was celibate until I was 12 and discovered the wonders of my own body.
    I was abstinent until 27.

I felt I should clarify that my above statements are based on the colloquial usages of the terms. Technically, both terms refer to living without "self-indulgence" whether with another person or not, with celibacy being a vocational commitment and abstinence being a personal one. However, celibacy in modern-day language is a term almost exclusively attributed to the clergy, and is intended to mean sexual purity. I suppose they would both also be choices so you can't be "celibate, not by choice"...

oops... haha... change mine to abstinent
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Like....on purpose!?

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I've gone a couple of days before. It was hell.
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    6+ months. Military deployments are a b!tch.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    6+ months. Military deployments are a b!tch.

Yes. Yes they are.
  • dj59lane
    dj59lane Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    5 years without another person
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    does being in the middle of a divorce count?
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Is that even possible though?

I get some... stimulation... out of nothing more than walking behind a pretty girl in the street...
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    yes for 12 years. i lost my virginity when i was 12.....im pretty sure i touched myself a few times before then tho...maybe not? i dont remember
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    22 months, by choice. I'd gotten to a point where I was tired of pointless flings and entanglements with guys who, while being decent, good people, weren't what I really wanted. I decided to hold out for extraordinary... thought I found it; got duped. :grumble:

Funny aside about that entanglement- when he ended it (after stringing me along), he said I'd find someone who would love me, maybe even more than I love them, but it's not him. Six weeks later, I had my first date with my future husband. Prophetic, that one. :drinker:
  • carinthea
    carinthea Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    18 years. Had a disastrous relationship (just six months) he was violent, it ended VERY badly. Can't be bothered to wade through the nightmare that is being 'single' and on the prowl, so at 40 I have grown accustomed to the idea that it will be me and cats when I grow older.

When I was younger I mistook attraction for love and it ended badly and now I am older I just can't find the energy to look - dating sites are a nightmare for a woman of my age (sorry I am shallow enough myself that I don't want to date a man in his 50s or 60s - an age my mother has yet to reach [60 that is])...so I am slowly becoming adjusted to the idea of happiness alone.
  • TheNoLeafClover
    TheNoLeafClover Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have been single and celibate my entire life. There's a lot that I need to work through, and I would only break my celibacy with someone I was in a long-term relationship with. I feel like my chances of finding someone who I am both compatible with, and who would be willing to wait until I am ready, are pretty low.
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Yup. From 0-15.
  • phuckingbadasscutie
    phuckingbadasscutie Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    ^^^ same with me.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    it's a sad, sad, sad... sad... story! hahahaha! but yes, celibate, abstinence, whatever... yup... :sad: