Have you ever been celibate?

Options

Replies

• ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    aside from my deployed time, thankfully no..
  • Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    Yes.. first 20 yrs... and last undisclosed amount of time... for undisclosed reasons...
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    About 10 months after my divorce. i was too busy trying to get my life in order, and I just didn't want to get close enough (literally and figuratively) to anyone to even try.
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    I can go 3 or 4 days at a time but it takes focus

Heyyyy you took my answer! :bigsmile:
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    For about 4 weeks, after the birth of my son.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    i'm terrible at it. i've tried. :blushing:
    Prepare your inbox.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I didn't sleep with my husband until our wedding night. We dated for 14 months. Religious reasons on both our parts. Awesome decision, I don't regret it one bit.
  • RisingFromAshes
    RisingFromAshes Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    From the ages of birth to 18. Because they made me. ;)
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Nearly 12 years, just had no luck.
  • Eleana14
    Eleana14 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yes a year and a half, my fiancé passed away

My condolences.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    6+ months. Military deployments are a b!tch.

Preach.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    celibacy (as in being celibate)= no sex, no kissing, no *kitten*, no sexual stimulation of any kind.
    Is that even possible though?

I get some... stimulation... out of nothing more than walking behind a pretty girl in the street...

All it takes is for a guy to tell me he wants to _______ my ________ and I need to change my pants. Or eat a really good ice cream. :wink:
  • coconuttjd
    Options
    Don't change it.

The definition of celibacy is not the abstention from all sexual activity. That is a contemporary usage that isn't even all that common. The correct and actual definition of celibacy is as follows, and most people here are using the word correctly.

Definition of CELIBACY

1: the state of not being married
    a : abstention from sexual intercourse
    b : abstention by vow from marriage
  • Ren_F
    Ren_F Posts: 20
    Options
    I instituted a six month celibacy before my marrying my first husband. I was hoping that if we tried to 'reboot' things it would be better. I was wrong, hence the divorce.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    How long and why?

30 years and counting.

I'd be lying if I said religion didn't have something to do with it, but it's not the only reason.

For one thing, my parents and I started having "the talk" when I was in first grade (courtesy of Peter Mayle's book, "Where did I come from?"). That whole time, it wasn't "when a man and a woman have...." but it was mommy and daddy or husband and wife. There was no doom and gloom or "you're going to hell if you don't wait for marriage". It's simply how it was understood. It was something a husband and wife did.

But the BIG factor, since reaching adulthood where I was free to go out and do all those things is that I have seen every form of birth control fail. This includes a couple where BOTH the man and woman had their respective tubes tied and / or snipped, which to me is the most aggressive form of birth control out there. But on top of all that, the situations where the individuals weathered the unexpected pregnancy the best were the ones where they were basically in a committed relationship, already.

Added on top of that, as a supervisor, I've seen people deal with special needs children. Once again, where the couple is in some form of committed relationship, life is a lot easier.

So, because I haven't found a woman I'm willing to enter into a committed relationship with and / or otherwise be connected to as the father of her child, I keep my genitals to myself. Because if I did father a child, no matter how unintentionally, I'm going to BE there for that child and the mother.

Also, while it's not necessarily "romantic", but it's as close as I get to romantic when discussing this matter, being in the military means I've had to live with all kinds of people. I've eaten with them, lived with them, shared rooms with them, talked about our hopes for the future with them, even cried with them. In my private life, I've kissed and hugged women, too. So I'm holding back on sex so that, if and when I do find a woman I want to settle down with I have SOMETHING in the relationship that I've shared only with her beyond filing jointly for taxes and social security benefits.

It's not easy. I get urges just like everyone else. But the biggest headache is when people make the assumption that my being a virgin means I'm uncomfortable with women or with the idea of sex. That couldn't be farther from the truth. I simply made the active, conscious choice to abstain from sex.
  • AshwinA7
    AshwinA7 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I've been celibate for 24 years now.
  • mybuttitches123
    Options
    you're all nuts
  • SavageAbbey
    Options
    6 or 7 months

Because I was in between relationships.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    you're all nuts

I had to scratch mine yesterday. I had logged them in my diary, but then I went to eat them and someone had left the empty canister on the counter! :sad:
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    By choice? Good Lord, no!