Fat Positivity?

Options

Replies

• mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with bashing people of ANY body type. When you're fat, especially VERY fat, you face loads of discrimination. Those types of problems shouldn't be fixed by losing weight, they should be fixed by changing society so we're not seeing fat people as not being worthy of respect.

This.

Double-this.

I no longer have respect for obese people. I am not talking the ones in the gym and out walking and eating right and really trying, I LOVE those obese people.

The ones that continue to stuff their face with garbage repulse me because they have lost respect for themselves and that is what makes them gross to me.

I will not accept the fat acceptance movement but I will accept trying to turn yourself around. Once you lose sight of yourself you lose my interest. I don't have time to invest in people who don't invest in themselves.

"they have lost respect for themselves and that is what makes them gross to me."

Wow.

Just...

Wow.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    i am pretty sad that i have a cold today because i was planning to get together with a friend to take bikini shots of my overweight body as is. i was gonna post it somewhere so i could refer to it later. no doubt some of my friends would have said kind things and managed to find some beauty somewhere in the lbs that are me right now. that would in no way have led to my acceptance of my current state as acceptable or okay or ultimately healthy. even if every single person "accepted" my fat as is, and said "*kitten*" or "would bang" all over the place the bottom line is I still have weight to lose.

I probably fall into the category neandermagnon described of a "chubby" person who can do more than some of my "thinner" but apparently less healthy counterparts. I wish I could do more though, and the aesthetic is a goal for me as well. i can accept that men find me attractive as is, and that on not sick days I can be satisfied with my hair and makeup tricks and clothing choices. accepting myself now and having days I feel downright "pretty" a la natalie wood does NOT mean I cannot continue to strive for/desire to be healthier or thinner. anyone who thinks they are mutually exclusive is misguided and might do well to include some psychology and philosophy/logic courses in their pre med education.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with bashing people of ANY body type. When you're fat, especially VERY fat, you face loads of discrimination. Those types of problems shouldn't be fixed by losing weight, they should be fixed by changing society so we're not seeing fat people as not being worthy of respect.

This.

Double-this.

I no longer have respect for obese people. I am not talking the ones in the gym and out walking and eating right and really trying, I LOVE those obese people.

The ones that continue to stuff their face with garbage repulse me because they have lost respect for themselves and that is what makes them gross to me.

I will not accept the fat acceptance movement but I will accept trying to turn yourself around. Once you lose sight of yourself you lose my interest. I don't have time to invest in people who don't invest in themselves.

Wow.
    You seem like a really nice person.:flowerforyou:

I am not nice about some things this is one of them sorry.

Why bother apologizing?
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

So if you just met me and didn't know I spend 7 hours at the gym weekly and cycle as much as possible you would automatically be repulsed? Seems a bit shallow..

edit cause quotes are all messed up...

That's exactly what they're saying. Your physical appearance is the only thing that matters to them, because obviously appearance=health and everyone has to adhere strictly to their idea of 'respecting yourself'.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    SIMON-COWELL-HAPPY-GIF.gif
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options

So if you just met me and didn't know I spend 7 hours at the gym weekly and cycle as much as possible you would automatically be repulsed? Seems a bit shallow..

That's exactly what they're saying. Your physical appearance is the only thing that matters to them, because obviously appearance=health and everyone has to adhere strictly to their idea of 'respecting yourself'.

Who's "they" that you are referring to when the person above was, I thought, responding to an individual quote....?
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options

ok just wanted to check... I thought people like this were just a made up story to scare kids..
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

ok just wanted to check... I thought people like this were just a made up story to scare kids..

Sadly there's worse people than that in the world :(
  • yhateme1
    yhateme1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Well Said!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    SIMON-COWELL-HAPPY-GIF.gif
    idonn'tgetit?
  • JennaViolet
    JennaViolet Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree. It really annoys me that they boast and credit their obesities. I am all for loving who you are and I know that we are all built differently but nobody is born to be obese.
    It's mean to slim people sometimes because they mock people who watch what they eat and who maybe have small hips and say they're not real women but again, nobody is perfect and some people are just petite. Hurting their feelings isn't OK just because you're fat.
    If slim people had a facebook page or whatever called 'Love your slim body' and people boasting about how slim they are and how they never want to gain weight and love being a size 8/10, overweight people would be seriously offended. And maybe they should be, but so should health conscious slim people that fat people mock.

However the truth of the matter is that nobody loves or even likes being obese and these sites are an attempt to cover up their pain. I know somebody very close to me who is very overweight and hates it, she is always trying to lose weight and she's a member of a site like that. I think it's about knowing you're not alone and in a way it's a good thing because most people eat more and give up on appearance even more so when they're down. So if these things motivate them and keep their spirits up, then maybe that won't happen.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

This.

Double-this.

Are you equally repulsed by thin people who stuff their faces with garbage? Cause I just ate a sliced up hot dog, tater tots, covered in chili and sour cream.

I would totally dig being repulsed by you.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

This.

Double-this.

Wow.
    You seem like a really nice person.:flowerforyou:

I am not nice about some things this is one of them sorry.

If your son became obese, would you hate him? Would you think he was gross and lose all respect for him?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Them, they, their.

Victim, much?
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Them, they, their.

Victim, much?

Well I'm not going to say I am I? Since it's THEM saying it not me.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I don't even know what's going on here anymore.

For the record, when I see an overweight person eating french fries, I think "man, i want some french fries".
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    I don't even know what's going on here anymore.

For the record, when I see an overweight person eating french fries, I think "man, i want some french fries".

Damn it!

Now I want french fries.

I just had tater tots.

Ugh.
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I am fat right now... will for for sometime as I lose this weight. I happen to like my body now more so than I did 50lbs ago. Is that Fat Acceptance? Depends on who you ask. If you ask me I just am happy with who I am right now and who I will be in the future...Phuck what yah heard!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

This.

Double-this.

So, you don't respect people because they don't conform to your standards of self worth. That sounds totally legit.

^This

Not to mention the fact that there are a plethora of psycho-social factors that impact obesity.......

Also I seriously doubt obese people working out or trying want your "love".

One of the best blog posts ever to appear on MFP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/delicious_cocktail/view/fat-girl-running-615479
    Fat girl is hangry.
    (but I should be ok after a snack and lifting)