Fat Positivity?

Options

Replies

• WiiFitness111
    Options
    poof.+Cat_d19728_4675467.gif

waiting for WiiFitness112 to show up. :laugh:

......i am just waiting for the big bad mods to ban me.....i am shaking so so bad.......yawn!....
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I was on Tumblr before and was looking at the fitspo tag, found some angry "fatspo" bloggers. What do you guys think? Some of them are literally promoting obesity and claiming "thin privilege" even though almost all of their problems could be solved by losing weight. They claim to love their bodies and actively bash thin people, but IMHO if their was a button that they could push that would make them thin, they would push it. Thoughts?

Why are you reading "fatspo" blogs if they bother you so much? Also, Tumblr is the devil. How do you know that some of these blogs you were looking at weren't real-life thin people posing as fat people and "glorifying obesity" and "claiming thin privilege" to either be ironic or to bash those "fat/happy" people?

For the record, I'm fat. I really dislike my body. I envy those people who are truly happy with their body at any size. Since they are not constantly uncomfortable in their own skin, they are already one up on me in the health department, since mental health is a huge factor in overall health. However, not being happy with my body doesn't make me unhappy in a general sense. I have a great life, a great husband, a great kid, and most days I don't hate my job. I just wish I wasn't so jiggly, and that's why I'm working on that. So, do I consider myself fat and happy? You bet...I am both fat and happy. But, you were right in one statement...I'm not happy being fat. But that doesn't mean someone else can't be both fat and happy and happy being fat. They're allowed.

And no, not all people would "push a button" to magically become thin. Why is it so hard to believe that some people are just okay with themselves the way they are? Why do they need to change for you? If it truly bothers you that other people can be happy in a lifestyle/body/what have you than is different than your perspective, perhaps the issue lies with you.

Oh, and I have switched doctors a couple times due to perceived "fat-shaming". I had one doctor who told me she was "shocked" that I had favorable cholesterol numbers and wasn't diabetic. Like she wanted me to have issues and indicators. Horrible. Please don't become a doctor like that. Please think about the things you say and how you say them and remember that you still need to "first do no harm".

I wasn't looking at fatspo, I was looking at fitspo but stumbled across some fatspo blogs. I'm sorry about what happened with your doctor, and it's understandable that you want to change after that, but they were talking about changing for things like a doctor telling them they were diabetic and that their weight was a key factor, and them saying it was fat shaming. Somebody actually said this.

I hope they are truly happy with the way they are. I see enough pain caused by body dysmorphia on this website to cure me from judging the balance that other people strike with themselves.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I am fat right now... will for for sometime as I lose this weight. I happen to like my body now more so than I did 50lbs ago. Is that Fat Acceptance? Depends on who you ask. If you ask me I just am happy with who I am right now and who I will be in the future...Phuck what yah heard!

I became happy with who I was 4 miles in to a 10k. Fuel and train!
  • gotogirl81
    gotogirl81 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    :yawn:
  • WiiFitness111
    Options
    some of you are nothing but hypocrites......one minute you said fat people are delusional because the attacks and bashings are only in their heads.....not 2 minutes later another a&&hole post something to slam fat people.....well which one is it…..are the fat people delusional or are they right in their feelings…..you can't have it both ways….if they were so delusional then why have this thread made it to seven pages and counting…..you c.o.c.k roaches should crawl back into your holes…..society has victimized yes victimized fat people for as long as I can remember and I am 73 years old……fat people have never ask no body to throw them a f&ucking parade…...they want society to respect them and leave them the f&ck alone……I bet many of you don’t clean you dirty houses on a regular basis but have time to bash fat people…....go make sure your kids aren’t doing drugs behind your back…..getting catch up on sniffing glue……or making babies before adulthood……if fat people want to have a group to vent its none of your goddam business……none of you are paying their for it……are you……skinny people have high blood pressure……diabeties…..hooked on cigarettes…..drugs…….lupus…..etc……..but fat people are the problem……..HA….…I bet if all fat people would lost weight then you nasty mother f&ckers would turn your venom on another group of people………who will it be…….blacks again…..mexicans……women…… hispanics……interracial couples………it will be somebody else for sure and you all know it…….you think because you are smaller in size you got some kind of GOD complex....now you can bow beat fat people into submission with your load of bulls.h.i.t and insults....fat chance....you bashers are a bunch of rotten stinky bigot t.w.a.t.s because you can’t burn off enough fat to hide your ugliness

Strong first post.

.....and what is your point.....do you think this is the first time i have cross bigots in my life.......for someone to claim fat people are delusional then why are you still posting......since it not real.....only a figment of their imagination

I don't know you, but based on your five posts so far, I realize there is ZERO chance of you understanding the nuanced topic at hand. I suspect now the only motivation anyone has for even acknowledging you exist on this site is to entice you to make more deranged postings so that your ban will come more swiftly. Your posts are full of hate and vile, and have been direct attacks on users of this site...the kind of activity with which MFP TPTB do not put up.

So I say to you, good day.

I said, good day, sir.

oooooohhhhh.......i am soooooooo scared.........not........but here you are still replying to me......idot much?..................if the moderators haven't had problems with you bigots bashing fat people who chose to be fat then screw them for having issues with me........this thread should have been pulled a long time ago.....do you think i give a rats a&& about being banned from this site.....what kind of moderators allow this s.h.i.t to go on for 7 pages......nuanced topic my a&&......if "nuanced topic" is the new method bigots use to shadow their bigotry then you're right.....i guess it is the "nuanced topic"......you could go ahead with all of your f.u.c.k.e.d up philosphosy all you want........it is still slamming fat people who are fat......go ahead and play with your big words and make me and a few others laugh some more.......

Please quote a single post of mine that showcases this bigotry you seem so passionate about.

(...but quickly, please, because I'm afraid your time here is truly short.)

i am not you goddam secretary....you go find it...........you posted that fat people are basically paranoid because it was all in their mind.....you were more insulting then anyone.....its not in their mind......its what existed in society for years and still exists....if it was in their mind so got damn much then why are you still here defending yourself......afterall they are the crazy ones right.....did you spend your whole life living in a mules *kitten*...you don't see it because you wear rose color glasses.....

so...No, then?

......whateva......

- Makes baseless assertion and attacks on my character (riddled with profanity and direct insults).
    - Is challenged to provide support for the assertion.
    - Fails to deliver (and actually doubles down on the attacks).

Personally, I find ^this kind of behavior reprehensible and indefensible.

.......oh don't worry dear...its all in your mind.....santa clause does exist.....

(Your recent posts are making less and less sense to me. I hope it isn't just me. Perhaps everyone else is able to interpret them for the wisdom they no doubt contain.)

.......well I guess we are even....none of your posts made sense.....not only to me but others who are emailing me as well.....others just don't want to get banned.....so wake me when you have proof that fat peoples' position are only in their minds......otherwise......a big fat yawn.......good day .....(cough, cough) sir.....

I'm sorry I am going to have to DEMAND that these "others" reply to this topic in this thread. If they fear being banned they may simply and obviously show support for you in here as they are in your emails by simply posting the following:

I :heart: Wii.

(^totally non-punishable non-bannable post.)

You'll have to give him/her time to go create all those accounts first.

.......no need to create fake accounts to prove anything to a bigot such as yourself....but nice try though.......speaking of being fake and a troll......do you have the balls to talk s.h.i.t in a fat person's face the way yall are doing in this thread.........i but yall smile and laugh in the face of every face person yall meet but allow your real bigot colors to come out as long as you can hide your chicken s.h.i.t a.s.s.e.s behind a keyboard........
  • WiiFitness111
    Options
    I don't agree with bashing people of ANY body type. When you're fat, especially VERY fat, you face loads of discrimination. Those types of problems shouldn't be fixed by losing weight, they should be fixed by changing society so we're not seeing fat people as not being worthy of respect.

Ummm, this makes no sense. The solution to those types of problems is quite literally to lose fat. That's like saying that the solution to murders isn't for people to quit murdering people, it's to change the way society views murderers.

.......are you f.u.c.k.i.n.g for real.....are you really comparing fat people to murderers........listen d.i.c.k head....murderers are goddam criminals that should be locked up forever.........fat people wants respect.........the end.........please stop flexing your muscles because that activity is clearing interfereing with the last two brain cells you have left..............now you want to put fat people in the same group as murderers to further justify discrimination.......ignorant f.u.c.k.i.n.g moron.........
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Are you equally repulsed by thin people who stuff their faces with garbage? Cause I just ate a sliced up hot dog, tater tots, covered in chili and sour cream.

I would totally dig being repulsed by you.
    [/quote]

This is like my wife. She eats like crap, rarely exercises, has 4 children and has a smokin' body. She rarely gets above 125lbs and if she does she goes for a walk a couple times and pounds of fat just drip off of her like an ice cream cone under a blow dryer. I'm sure it's frustrating to see if you're a person who has a really hard time losing fat but that's just the way we were made. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I spent hours on fatspo sites yesterday because of this thread. Time well spent. Makes me question yet again why I'm spending so much energy, effort, and mental space on being thin. But it happens I'm stuck right now in a life with nothing meaningful to do. I think a lot of people feel that way. So I've decided that on the very day I get myself in a position to start doing what is meaningful to me, the diet obsession goes forever bye-bye. Which doesn't mean I'll gain back to an unhealthy weight that hinders me or shortens my life, I'm just saying I won't waste anymore energy worrying about societal standards of beauty and thinness. There are far more important things to worry about.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I spent hours on fatspo sites yesterday because of this thread. Time well spent. Makes me question yet again why I'm spending so much energy, effort, and mental space on being thin. But it happens I'm stuck right now in a life with nothing meaningful to do. I think a lot of people feel that way. So I've decided that on the very day I get myself in a position to start doing what is meaningful to me, the diet obsession goes forever bye-bye. Which doesn't mean I'll gain back to an unhealthy weight that hinders me or shortens my life, I'm just saying I won't waste anymore energy worrying about societal standards of beauty and thinness. There are far more important things to worry about.

Spend some time on gokaleo.com and learn how "healthy" trumps fat/thin.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

Spend some time on gokaleo.com and learn how "healthy" trumps fat/thin.

Vaguely heard of it here and there. I'll check it out, thanks!
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

Are you equally repulsed by thin people who stuff their faces with garbage? Cause I just ate a sliced up hot dog, tater tots, covered in chili and sour cream.

I would totally dig being repulsed by you.
    [/quote]

This is like my wife. She eats like crap, rarely exercises, has 4 children and has a smokin' body. She rarely gets above 125lbs and if she does she goes for a walk a couple times and pounds of fat just drip off of her like an ice cream cone under a blow dryer. I'm sure it's frustrating to see if you're a person who has a really hard time losing fat but that's just the way we were made. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses.
    [/quote]

That sounds yummy!
  • BigotHater
    Options
    some of you are nothing but hypocrites......one minute you said fat people are delusional because the attacks and bashings are only in their heads.....not 2 minutes later another a&&hole post something to slam fat people.....well which one is it…..are the fat people delusional or are they right in their feelings…..you can't have it both ways….if they were so delusional then why have this thread made it to seven pages and counting…..you c.o.c.k roaches should crawl back into your holes…..society has victimized yes victimized fat people for as long as I can remember and I am 73 years old……fat people have never ask no body to throw them a f&ucking parade…...they want society to respect them and leave them the f&ck alone……I bet many of you don’t clean you dirty houses on a regular basis but have time to bash fat people…....go make sure your kids aren’t doing drugs behind your back…..getting catch up on sniffing glue……or making babies before adulthood……if fat people want to have a group to vent its none of your goddam business……none of you are paying their for it……are you……skinny people have high blood pressure……diabeties…..hooked on cigarettes…..drugs…….lupus…..etc……..but fat people are the problem……..HA….…I bet if all fat people would lost weight then you nasty mother f&ckers would turn your venom on another group of people………who will it be…….blacks again…..mexicans……women…… hispanics……interracial couples………it will be somebody else for sure and you all know it…….you think because you are smaller in size you got some kind of GOD complex....now you can bow beat fat people into submission with your load of bulls.h.i.t and insults....fat chance....you bashers are a bunch of rotten stinky bigot t.w.a.t.s because you can’t burn off enough fat to hide your ugliness

Strong first post.

.....and what is your point.....do you think this is the first time i have cross bigots in my life.......for someone to claim fat people are delusional then why are you still posting......since it not real.....only a figment of their imagination

I don't know you, but based on your five posts so far, I realize there is ZERO chance of you understanding the nuanced topic at hand. I suspect now the only motivation anyone has for even acknowledging you exist on this site is to entice you to make more deranged postings so that your ban will come more swiftly. Your posts are full of hate and vile, and have been direct attacks on users of this site...the kind of activity with which MFP TPTB do not put up.

So I say to you, good day.

I said, good day, sir.

oooooohhhhh.......i am soooooooo scared.........not........but here you are still replying to me......idot much?..................if the moderators haven't had problems with you bigots bashing fat people who chose to be fat then screw them for having issues with me........this thread should have been pulled a long time ago.....do you think i give a rats a&& about being banned from this site.....what kind of moderators allow this s.h.i.t to go on for 7 pages......nuanced topic my a&&......if "nuanced topic" is the new method bigots use to shadow their bigotry then you're right.....i guess it is the "nuanced topic"......you could go ahead with all of your f.u.c.k.e.d up philosphosy all you want........it is still slamming fat people who are fat......go ahead and play with your big words and make me and a few others laugh some more.......

Please quote a single post of mine that showcases this bigotry you seem so passionate about.

(...but quickly, please, because I'm afraid your time here is truly short.)

i am not you goddam secretary....you go find it...........you posted that fat people are basically paranoid because it was all in their mind.....you were more insulting then anyone.....its not in their mind......its what existed in society for years and still exists....if it was in their mind so got damn much then why are you still here defending yourself......afterall they are the crazy ones right.....did you spend your whole life living in a mules *kitten*...you don't see it because you wear rose color glasses.....

so...No, then?

......whateva......

- Makes baseless assertion and attacks on my character (riddled with profanity and direct insults).
    - Is challenged to provide support for the assertion.
    - Fails to deliver (and actually doubles down on the attacks).

Personally, I find ^this kind of behavior reprehensible and indefensible.

.....i find your bigotry behavior likewise........
  • BigotHater
    Options
    I don't agree with bashing people of ANY body type. When you're fat, especially VERY fat, you face loads of discrimination. Those types of problems shouldn't be fixed by losing weight, they should be fixed by changing society so we're not seeing fat people as not being worthy of respect.

Ummm, this makes no sense. The solution to those types of problems is quite literally to lose fat. That's like saying that the solution to murders isn't for people to quit murdering people, it's to change the way society views murderers.

......you are comparing nice law abiding citizens to murders........you are indeed a used d.o.u.c.h.e.bag.....
  • bludflower
    Options
    I have very mixed feelings about the whole fat-love thing. In some ways I feel that the sentiment is very misunderstood by people not experiencing it. I've always seen it as a decision to love and respect your body no matter what shape it is in. It's a refusal to be dragged down by the constant fat-shaming that goes on everywhere we go. I also see it as a self-defense tactic. Rather than scrambling to try to fit in and feeling hurt by people who scoff and reprimand us for "sitting around eating burgers and doughnuts all day"--which is often a very unrealistic assumption--some people boost themselves by *owning* their fatness. Some of these people are using this attitude to bolster their determination and move into action in order to live for a healthier them.

Unfortunately, other (bitter, emotionally stunted) people are hiding behind it, using it as an excuse to do nothing about a problem they are deeply hurt about and reluctant to face as an actual health concern. It can be a very positive thing or a very poisonous thing. Depends on the person and their ability to face reality. ACTUAL reality, not the pessimistic, whiny version of "reality".

In my case, I look for any excuse to put on something cute and go dancing. I accept the fact that I'm a big girl in cute clothes. I accept my body and can even say I love it--because it's the only one I have. That's why I'm making an effort to get healthy and, yeah, get smaller.

Sure, I'd ABSOLUTELY press the thin button if I had one--lol!--but I've got to live in this chubby body until I can do it the hard way. Might as well embrace it and treat it with respect on my way there.

Some (jerks) decided that the only way big people can love themselves is through denial, and this seems to be society's view. I like that more people are flipping that notion the bird, but as I said before, it's not always for 100% healthy reasons.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    That kind of healthy attitude is going to get you farther along than any amount of self hatred.
  • tahneesummers88
    tahneesummers88 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The fat acceptance movement DOES NOT use the term "glorify obesity"!!! That is a phrase thrown at them about what people THINK they are doing.

If they are bashing thin people and saying that they "love their beautiful fat bodies" then it's glorifying obesity. Case closed.

I seriously feel sorry for any overweight person who ends up with you as their doctor (or nurse, or whatever it is you're studying to be).

Loving your body in any state that it's in is NOT glorifying that state. Loving yourself is so much more healthy than hating yourself, no matter what your size is.

The majority of people who support HAES/fat acceptance DO NOT hate on people with other body sizes. Much in the same way that most thin/average weight people DO NOT hate on fat people... though I would say the hatred/lack of respect towards people who are overweight VASTLY outnumbers any negativity toward thin/average size people.

Say, have you ever heard of This is Thin Privilege? Also, that was rude and uncalled for - I worked my *kitten* off getting into university. Medicine is one of the most competitive courses to get into. I am studying to be a doctor. I never said there was anything wrong with loving yourself, but so many HAES people believe that fat pride means they can stay fat (unhealthy) and eat whatever they want (unhealthy). You can say whatever you want. Anything that helps you sleep at night. But the facts are that we have an obesity crisis in the first world, and you have NO IDEA how maddening this fat pride thing is from a medical perspective. We are trying to help these people. But fat pride sends out the message that being fat is okay. Children are getting that message. It is 100% not okay.

As someone with 20 years in the healthcare profession can I ask you not to speak as if you hold the "medical perspective" - Fat Acceptance is a complex thing and a social and individual response to pressures that are perceived by some as devaluing. When you become a doctor, perhaps you'll understand that self-love is an excellent tool for change - and that depression and desperation can make things worse, for some people. Try to be more nuanced.

edit: spelling.

That's fine. Loving yourself is important. But it is not okay to sit around being fat and not working for change because you "love yourself"

Who the heck are you to judge anyone for sitting around being fat and not working for change?

Do others not have A BUNCH of stuff going on in their OWN lives that they need to deal with in their own time? People are on all sorts of different levels with sorting out their weight loss and what works for them and what doesn't.

This sort of attitude you have just goes to show.. that maybe, just maybe.. even tho you are a high and mighty UNIVERSITY student, you have no idea what the heck you're on about!!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    The fat acceptance movement DOES NOT use the term "glorify obesity"!!! That is a phrase thrown at them about what people THINK they are doing.

If they are bashing thin people and saying that they "love their beautiful fat bodies" then it's glorifying obesity. Case closed.

I seriously feel sorry for any overweight person who ends up with you as their doctor (or nurse, or whatever it is you're studying to be).

Loving your body in any state that it's in is NOT glorifying that state. Loving yourself is so much more healthy than hating yourself, no matter what your size is.

The majority of people who support HAES/fat acceptance DO NOT hate on people with other body sizes. Much in the same way that most thin/average weight people DO NOT hate on fat people... though I would say the hatred/lack of respect towards people who are overweight VASTLY outnumbers any negativity toward thin/average size people.

Say, have you ever heard of This is Thin Privilege? Also, that was rude and uncalled for - I worked my *kitten* off getting into university. Medicine is one of the most competitive courses to get into. I am studying to be a doctor. I never said there was anything wrong with loving yourself, but so many HAES people believe that fat pride means they can stay fat (unhealthy) and eat whatever they want (unhealthy). You can say whatever you want. Anything that helps you sleep at night. But the facts are that we have an obesity crisis in the first world, and you have NO IDEA how maddening this fat pride thing is from a medical perspective. We are trying to help these people. But fat pride sends out the message that being fat is okay. Children are getting that message. It is 100% not okay.

As someone with 20 years in the healthcare profession can I ask you not to speak as if you hold the "medical perspective" - Fat Acceptance is a complex thing and a social and individual response to pressures that are perceived by some as devaluing. When you become a doctor, perhaps you'll understand that self-love is an excellent tool for change - and that depression and desperation can make things worse, for some people. Try to be more nuanced.

edit: spelling.

That's fine. Loving yourself is important. But it is not okay to sit around being fat and not working for change because you "love yourself"

Who the heck are you to judge anyone for sitting around being fat and not working for change?

Do others not have A BUNCH of stuff going on in their OWN lives that they need to deal with in their own time? People are on all sorts of different levels with sorting out their weight loss and what works for them and what doesn't.

This sort of attitude you have just goes to show.. that maybe, just maybe.. even tho you are a high and mighty UNIVERSITY student, you have no idea what the heck you're on about!!
    Right?! Like she's a better judge of what I should be prioritizing my time on? Maybe it's not okay for her to sit around being judgmental and not working for change in her attitude. Like I'm not working to improve other things that are more important right now. I'm working on picking up the heaviest things I can. That is more important to me than taking up less space right now. If that offends anyone, they are invited to kindly kiss my shiny right cheek. It should be a hard target to miss.
  • kristenveganvixen
    kristenveganvixen Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Artist Jessicka Addams wrote a great piece on her FAQ page about this after she lost a lot of weight for health reasons ( it's about a quarter of the way down the page) http://www.jessicka.com/faq.html
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/lindsey-averill-fat-acceptance-death-threats

Just one example of why there needs to be some more widespread fat acceptance/positivity in the world! Or did she deserve it for doing something to try to dissuade folks about the stereotypes/assumptions of fat people?

It just saddens me to see so much hatred toward someone who is just trying to lessen the hatred in the world...
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with the bashing, either. However.... Obesity can lead to many health risks, then again so can being under weight.
    Maybe there needs to be a 'NormalSpo" :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

I agree. I know I'll won't probably get the six-pack or a lot of muscles, but waking up without back pain is one of the best things for me. I don't miss my fat at all and it wasn't a positive area in my life.