Do you ever decline friend requests?

Options

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I accept all and delete if they turn up crazy. However, I have been deleted far more than I have deleted. I seldom comment on my feed and rarely comment on a friend's post.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I've been here three years, my list is large, and I like to actually keep up with the people on it. I also rarely delete people. So I'm really careful about who I add in the first place.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    My profile specifically asked that FR add a message of some sort, (as I find it incredibly creepy to be approached by a stranger out of nowhere with no introduction whatsoever) so if a request is blank, they automatically get declined, no questions asked.

If a profile is private, but they seem friendly enough from the FR message, I might add them to see what they're all about. If they turn out to be not a good fit for me (a 1,200 calorie-er or a 5'6" 105 lb 18 year old looking to drop 6 lbs by July) then I'll just delete them.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Yep. I decline any that don't include a message. Or if they are a collector. I try to keep my FL a managable size so I can interact and keep up. I don't need a huge FL to be my cheering section.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I don't get a heap but I've never had a blank request or anyone dodgy sending me one. So I've never declined which is a good job as I never send out requests. I fear rejection >sobs<
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I use to accept and add tons of people - mostly because I didnt really interact or use MFP for social stuff.
    I just kinda logged my food and didn't pay attention to anyone.
    Now I try to keep up and support people, and enjoy having like-minded friends.
    I also deal with binging and a lot of food-related anxiety so when I go through peoples diaries and they eat cake and ice cream all day, I simply cant have them because it makes me crave it just seeing it and brings up anxiety.
    So I cleaned out my list drastically, and only accept FR's with a note of why they want to be added ( no note = auto deny ).
    - so that I can keep a small tight knit group, and I can keep up with paying attention to my friends without getting overwhelmed!
    I also tend not to keep people who go inactive often, or have closed diaries. Im nosey.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Just wondering how everyone sees friend requests here. I'm not into a popularity contest...just want to have good friends that can support each other every day.
    I accept all friend requests, with or without a message. What's the worst that could happen? I delete them and that only happens when I find out they're just friend collectors.

I don't take this as seriously as a lot of people apparently do. It's just MFP.
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I used to never decline because I felt guilty. But my list grew sooo large that I stopped being able to really interact with folks. I decided to start being a little more careful with the friends I accepted. I have declined a few times. Especially if nothing is filled out and I know nothing about you. That kind of leaves me in the dark and I don't know how I can help you.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't have a note, it is declined. It says that on my profile and if the FR sender can't even read that, I'm not sure why they want to be "friends."
  • KariOrtiz2014
    KariOrtiz2014 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I decline for many different reasons. Too many to list. But quite honestly, I don't want more friends. I like having a small list.
  • Inner_Goddess
    Inner_Goddess Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I decline if there is no message - especially if it's not a name I haven't heard or if I check out their profile and they have eating disorders. I battled with my own disorders and feel that it's necessary for me to avoid it.

I keep my list small so that I can interact with everyone. I seldom request others but if I do, I make sure to add a message. I also delete if they go inactive for more than 2 weeks or if they do not interact with me. I'm not here to be collected or a collector.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I am up for adding anyone as a friend, but will delete you if you are A. Creepy, B. Annoying, or C. haven't logged on to MFP in over 2 weeks! I want friends who are supportive, encouraging and motivating!
    I'm not looking for anything other than that, so if you send a request with a "hey, you're super fine" then don't be surprised when your request is declined. Creeps be warned. Am I right ladies?
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    When I was losing weight, I found that most of my friends and I supported each other pretty well. After I transitioned to maintenance, I was still being supportive, but little by little, I noticed that most of them stopped posting, logging or even logging in. Then it seemed like "friend collectors" were coming out of the woodwork. For those reasons, I decided I would be better off solo.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Nope. Feel free to add me!
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    If people add me after discussing something I accept and if they send pretty much any message with it I'll accept. (Unless it's creepy, but I've never gotten creepy, only flirty haha.)

Unless they send a note I will usually decline if the person is new because they have a tendency to join, add a bunch of people, log for two days and disappear and I just can't be bothered to go and delete them two days later. Most of the people on my friends list have month+ long streaks.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I'm like a medieval monarch. Some days I'm in a good mood and I accept even if they have a blank profile and blank FR. Other days it's like the soup nazi.."No friendship for you!"

Friend collectors who want a harem full of women are instantly rejected.

Usually if I have friends in common with the person and/or they are doing something similar to my diet and fitness activities, I will accept.

I delete people too.
  • pennyks88
    pennyks88 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I will accept friend requests from anyone. So far I haven't encountered any creeps or friend collectors, but I would delete those types of people. I really like the friends I have on MFP. :flowerforyou:
  • Ruth4111gut
    Ruth4111gut Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have never declined anyone as of yet but I do prefer accepting people with open diaries and filled out profiles.We are all in the same journey.:happy:
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    A better question is, have you ever sent an FR and then instantly regretted it?
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I pretty much accept anyone unless they're an obvious spammer.