Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Seems to me if you can bash PF,you must have been a member at one time or your just spouting something you have no experience with.So my question is this Are you experienced or are you just someone who spreads crap.

I go to PF and let me say a few things..I have NEVER seen anyone kicked out for something they are wearing and there are some very see through and tight and skimpy work out outfits on most of the women.The free pizza and bagels and candy is there for the taking IF you choose...it is a choice and not a requirement to take.So make a choice!Yes I lift,yes it is somewhat limited in what you can do with in the confines of a "smith"machine and with the free weights they have but if you are pursuing a body builders physique then you need to be doing that somewhere that caters to that.What they call "training" it is very limited...YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR...you want "personal training"hire a personal trainer.Yes it is cheap..I don't mind.It seems to me people just like to ***** and moan about this place.Get over it people!

My experience with PF is their ads where they purposely offend every group of fitness-engaged individual to promote their "not-a-gym"
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I've gone for 3 years.
    Not once have I heard the effing alarm.

Not once have I had a piece of pizza, bagel, or tootsie roll.

I go in, do my business and leave.
    Plenty of people lift. Plenty of people do cardio.

I imagine if it doesn't suit peoples lifting needs, they'll leave. But I really doubt weekly threads bashing the place are needed.

My biggest disappointment about the place is the fact that the shower gets cold if somebody flushes the toilet.
    Hate that.

that's pretty much my response...I love how the bro's and bro'ettes have their feelings so hurt about the place. I have moved on to a Y (for the pool), but I used PF for a couple years. It suited my needs.

And the mockery continues......

The usual from a "judgement free zone". :drinker:

Yeah, couldn't resist..haven't waded into a pf thread in a while.

Good thing there isn't any mockery of the kind of folks who use pf. That wouldn't be too cool. :tongue:

ah well, round and round.......
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I've gone for 3 years.

I imagine if it doesn't suit peoples lifting needs, they'll leave. But I really doubt weekly threads bashing the place are needed.

My biggest disappointment about the place is the fact that the shower gets cold if somebody flushes the toilet.
    Hate that.

that's pretty much my response...I love how the bro's and bro'ettes have their feelings so hurt about the place. I have moved on to a Y (for the pool), but I used PF for a couple years. It suited my needs.

Good thing there isn't any mockery of the kind of folks who use pf. That wouldn't be too cool. :tongue:

I totally missed those commercials, which "gym" uses mockery to sell memberships?

Please quote my "mockery" of those that use it, I'll hang up and listen.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I've gone for 3 years.

Hate that.

I totally missed those commercials, which "gym" uses mockery to sell memberships?

sigh, my reference was to the general mockery in this thread, which is EXACTLY why pf exists in the first place. I am not saying they are going about it the correct way, because they aren't. But, there is a reason it works and why they are all over the place. It's crappy attitudes about what constitutes "real" working out.

This is my last response...regretting responding already. The thread will be locked soon anyway...

Take care.
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have a membership to PF. I pay $100 for one year. I have heard the lunk alarm once but it was pretty justified. They have pretty good equipment I think at my location with dumbbells that go up to 75 lbs. It's about 1.5 miles from my house and cheap. I go at 5 a.m. when it's not very busy.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I've gone for 3 years.

Hate that.

sigh, my reference was to the general mockery in this thread, which is EXACTLY why pf exists in the first place. I am not saying they are going about it the correct way, because they aren't. But, there is a reason it works and why they are all over the place. It's crappy attitudes about what constitutes "real" working out.

This is my last response...regretting responding already. The thread will be locked soon anyway...

Take care.

Came in, took your shot, and then bowed out....

"Crappy" attitudes against what is "real" working out IMHO stems from their marketing scheme once again. I just don't like their marketing scheme, and believe it can keep novices from getting to what their true end goal for fitness may be,...

Just my .02
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I've gone for 3 years.

Hate that.

Similar experience only been there a month though. I mostly do cardio there as I joined because my elliptical broke. I do weights and have never had an issue. The staff there seems pretty friendly so no issues here. I don't need experts as I've been working out for a very long time. :)
  • jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Been a member for about a year and a half. I've heard the alarm go off a number of times, but most people aren't gawking when it happens. Honestly, I couldn't even pin-point WHY it went off....because I'm too focused on my own workout.

I think I've been one night when there was pizza. I only know this because I saw paper plates. I didn't smell it and it certainly wasn't any interest for me.

I've never once eaten a tootsie roll from there (not my kind of candy).

I think every gym has a place. I DO feel like I need to tone down my workout, though. I work hard and I make a conscious effort to keep a low key. I REALLY don't want to draw attention to myself. I guess it would be nice to be in a place where I wouldn't have to have that worry, though....judgement free? I don't agree with that (as I know most people feel the same). But it's cheap, SUPER close to my house, and suites my needs for the time being.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    It's $10/month and I can walk or bike there from my house. I used to be with The Rush. I miss the sauna and steam rooms, the whirlpool and lap pool, and the classes, but I don't miss paying four times as much or driving across town.

I've never seen or heard anyone complain about attire in my PF. The lunk alarm has never gone off while I was there. People are friendly, but not too friendly...they lend a hand if you look confused, but they mostly leave you alone. There's a wide range in diversity of age, race, body types, etc.

We had a huge power outage for days during one of the winter storms and PF put up a big sign saying that they had power and people were welcome to come in and get clean.

My only complaint is that the music is too loud. When I'm doing cardio, I watch Netflix on my phone, and it's difficult to hear even with earbuds over that loud music.

Also, I would love some wifi. I still have unlimited data on my phone, so I can still watch, but if they had wifi I could bring my tablet...larger screen.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I go to PF and heard it go off once, it was for a group of people hanging out talking very loud in front of all the machines being distracting but other than that, there has been no issues at mine, its a year old and kept very clean, I avoid going on pizza nights which I think are once a week as the smell makes me sick while working out not hungry. They do offer bagels occasionally as well which are temping as I love a NY bagel with cream cheese but I just leave them alone. I haven't found any time of the day bad other than right after working hours there is a wait for cardio machines.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options

I'm trying to just keep my head down and get my workouts done.

There lies the issue. YOU pay them to train there. You shouldn't have to keep your head down. They owe YOU a gym where you can exercise the way that you see fit. They are in YOUR debt yet you are walking on eggshells so that you don't offend them? That's just as ridiculous and presumptuous as the US government!

You set off a lunk alarm at a PF somewhere just by typing this. *nods* true story

Lol, if I set off the lunk alarm at PF it would take the entire staff and the rest of the members to remove me from the building.
  • grum84
    grum84 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    So I belong to a planet fitness in Ann Arbor, and it is mostly very attractive college students who wear minimal clothing (helps to motivate my workouts). I have never seen anyone get kicked out for inappropriate clothing. Maybe b/c this area is so liberal, maybe b/c it is mostly college students working there as well...I don't know. Either way, they are pretty lax around here compared to some gyms I have heard of I guess. Currently they are the best option for the price for me.

I have never taken parts in the pizza or bagels as I am at the gym on off hours, but I don't understand the hate toward them. If you indulge in pizza and/or bagels once a month, so what. Seems like a nice reward for a month of working out. Probably better than me ordering a pizza, as I would eat the whole thing.

I have set the alarm off once, as I had not set a weight down very well on the bench and the 55 pound dumbbell rolled off and hit the floor loudly. Eh, so be it. Pretty sure the weight made more noise than the alarm. It isn't like you get punished for setting it off, they just try to embarrass you into following their rules.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I go to PF and heard it go off once, it was for a group of people hanging out talking very loud in front of all the machines being distracting but other than that, there has been no issues at mine, its a year old and kept very clean, I avoid going on pizza nights which I think are once a week as the smell makes me sick while working out not hungry. They do offer bagels occasionally as well which are temping as I love a NY bagel with cream cheese but I just leave them alone. I haven't found any time of the day bad other than right after working hours there is a wait for cardio machines.
    I have nothing to add really.
    I'm just stalking this woman.
  • idlehands79
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear that everyone is having such a horrible experience with Planet Fitness. I have been going for about three weeks now and couldn't be happier. Maybe it's all about the staff and customer service. I get greeted every night with a huge smile and they even acknowledge that I'm there every night lol as far as the pizza and bagel Mondays and Tuesdays I just look past them and remember why I'm there. Hahaha

^ This.

Also, about the showers, on cold days it takes over 5 minutes for the water to heat up >.<
  • FlyThisKite
    FlyThisKite Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I like it..but i check in..cardio...hit the lockers..shower and get a massage then leave.I dont talk or interact. .and i ignore the candy.i have not seen the pizza but im not there nights.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    At my Planet Fitness, the lunk alarm does go off on an occasional basis. No one does anything about it; everyone including the workers snicker. I'm sure if the manager was there then there might be an issue.

Also, I see a wide variety of fitness levels. I see ripped men and women, overweight people just starting out, and lots of average people with average fitness. I see good runners and athletes as well.

Yes, there are bagels and pizzas, but you don't have to take them. It is just something they offer if you want it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I've gone for 3 years.

Hate that.

Take care.

What's funny is "we" don't make fun of those going to PF...it's good for some...but at the same time doesn't suit others...but when we do call PF out on their inconsistent rules such as things about clothing we always get a bunch of PF goers who love it and bash the "Bro and Bro'ettes" for pointing out what is actually going on...

Judgement free zone my butt...

I would never join a "fitness center" where corporate has actually allowed their franchisees, kick people out for anything beyond abashed harrassment...not "preceived" intimidation etc...
  • janhiness
    janhiness Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love PF. I had a membership at LA Fitness and the last time I worked out there I left crying because a couple of guys thought it was okay to make fun of me because I wasn't sure what I was doing and I'm fat. It made me never want to visit the gym again. I now workout at PF and I have no problems and if I see someone who's fit I don't feel insecure about working out next to them. The staff is friendly and have showed me how to use equipment. They've also encouraged me when I leave always saying see you tomorrow. It makes me feel good I no longer feel insecure while working out. I've also been when they have pizza and for me I love that I have build up some willpower to say no. It's a great gym.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I'm trying to just keep my head down and get my workouts done.

There lies the issue. YOU pay them to train there. You shouldn't have to keep your head down. They owe YOU a gym where you can exercise the way that you see fit. They are in YOUR debt yet you are walking on eggshells so that you don't offend them? That's just as ridiculous and presumptuous as the US government!

You set off a lunk alarm at a PF somewhere just by typing this. *nods* true story

Lol, if I set off the lunk alarm at PF it would take the entire staff and the rest of the members to remove me from the building.

I feel like you would set it off just walking into the place.

excuse me sir... "we don't allow people this swole into our gym."
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Annnnnnd. Here we go.

Again.

For like the bazillion gazillion millionth time.

I go there.

it suits my needs.

I lift heavy.

I sometimes grunt.

I sweat a lot.

I work out hard.

I am very fit and in shape.

The lunk alarm rarely goes off.

I have never been there for pizza -- and even if I was I wouldn't eat it.

I never take tootsie rolls.

I have been there for coffee and bagels because the coffee is free and it's really, really good.

There are fit people that go there.

There are big, beefy, guys with muscles that go there.

There are people who are out of shape that go there.

There are people who have their full make-up on, cute outfits looking pretty and not even breaking a sweat because they're just there to be cute.

There are people, like me, who works out hard, sweats buckets, lifts heavy and look like a complete and total hot-mess at the end of their workout.

But you get those types of people at any gym though.

It's a gym.

It's affordable.

And again, it suits my needs.