How to stop obsessing and calorie counting

Options
12346»

Replies

• tremroy1
    tremroy1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting is necesarry for proper maintenance. I consider myself as being out of control about eating. Counting eliminates the sadness you get when you have gained weight. Remember what got you there. Tracking is a better word for counting. Your goal for maintenance should be your guide to maintaining your weight. Responsible eating requires effort if you have been overweight. I am 65, and have had weight issues all my life. I have been over 200 at my heaviest and as low as 135. I have kept most of it off over the years but have dieted..several times.....I am now and have been tracking and excercising. I am 152.....going to 145 and want to hold at that number......we must be responsible when we eat......portion control helps....tracking....good luck
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    completely relate
  • fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I know just how you feel......I have just accepted the fact that I will be counting calories for the rest of my life.....I'm so terrified that I will go backwards and gain all the weight back if I don't....I don't really enjoy eating anymore.....I live alone and I've basically given up cooking from scratch because it is so hard to accurately figure out all the calories....I eat salads, sandwiches, soups (not home made), protein bars, fruit and raw veges that all get weighed....I don't bake anything anymore because there would only be me here to eat it, and that obviously is out of the question....I got down to 118lb from 172lb and I loved it....but I hadn't started lifting so I guess I was what people call "skinny fat"....I started lifting and have seen not a lot of change in my measurements AND the scale went up 12lb!!!!!.....both of which is driving me crazy....so now I'm trying to get that off to 120lb.....it definitely seems to be an obsession for lots of us.....I feel for you because I've been there too.....
  • im_all_in
    im_all_in Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Firstly, congratulations on all your hard work and effort to get where you are today! That's truly amazing! Be proud!!!

Secondly, I too was getting so stressed out over counting everything that I think my cortisol levels were sabotaging me just by constantly feeling stressed over the next meal...and the one after that....and the one after that. I stopped. I decided to prepare clean healthy food (a big container of sliced mixed veggies: bell peppers, cukes, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions tossed with a little EVOO and lemon) and having one day a week to cook meat (chicken breast, turkey muffins, pork). While this does take some time on that one day I cook all the meat and rice or quinoa, plus 2x a week I chop the veggies, I have way more time with my kids. You can pack a small cooler full of the stuff you need for the day. Just grab and go. I only pre-portion starchy carbs because they're my downfall. Use one day a week to think about it so that you can relax for the other six days by being prepared. I use those veggies on their own or added to greens for a salad. They are the first thing I see when I open the fridge. I put them right at eye level to keep me focused. Planning everything down to the last calorie is extremely stressful. I'm having a blast not counting at all...and losing.

I wish you luck with this...with all the great feedback you're getting from everyone I'm sure you will find a way that will work for you and make you happy and comfortable. Congrats again!:happy: