Peanut Butter Addiction

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm done with this discussion. The amount of close minded people on this site who are always looking for an argument (instead of focusing on helping posters) is unreal. It's a shame people can't just be supportive of the poster without trying to start arguments with people who don't believe what they do. I'm all about good spirited debates but when people just replay with sarcastic remarks instead of how they really feel or think that's when I want nothing to do with it. I once saw a poster tell the original poster she didn't deserve to lose weight because she gave herself a cheat meal. Totally sad. Why can't we just keep it friendly. We're. All here with the same goal (maybe some to gain and build) but we all are watching our nutrition. Can't we discuss without putting others down and be motivating to others?

I came into this forum to discuss something I heard in a class. It was based off of a study. Can the results be skewed. Absolutely. That's a risk in any study. I myself find some truth in it. But I can also see how others can't. And I'm ok with people comment that they don't. By all means let's discuss it. But I don't like people being sarcastic and making me out to being a moron for sharing something I heard with the forum. It makes me not even want to try to help anyone. I don't even want to ask for help myself because people are so mean on here. I'm am being honest and putting all this out there. I'm hoping not to get a mean spirit comment back

Just ignore the negativity. I think everyone should stop making fun of what Nicole said about the relationship between gender and food. If you think that has zero validity, I couldn't disagree more. Men and Women have a very different relationship with food, there is a reason why eating disorders are more prominent in women than men, how many anorexic men do you know? Only 15% of people diagnosed with eating disorders are Male, so there is definitely something more than willpower here. When, we look at society at large, men have a multitude of “acceptable” body types in our culture. This ideal ranges from hyper-thin male models, to Brad Pitt, to hyper-muscular Hulk Hogans. In general, women must adhere only to the thin female ideal, the hour glass shape or else, well they are made to feel ugly and unattractive, so of course this births a whole lot of emotional issues that affect women and their relationship with food. You do not have to agree with what the PP said but there is no need to belittle her or make fun of this theory, we are here to discuss and learn from each other and I appreciate each and everyone's willingness to help/share as long as we can all be nice about it !

Now going back to my PB addiction, I had 1 spoon of PB today and I am feeling the withdrawals, I am craving it like crazy. I am getting ready to go workout and I will reward myself with 2 extra spoons and stick to that amount, nothing more. I did not eat a lot today, I had oatmeal for breakfast +PB, tomato bisque soup for lunch, hummus snack this afternoon. So 2 more PB spoons shouldn't hurt? Thoughts?

Did you know that studies in the UK and in North America have shown that less than 20% of men that struggle with an eating disorder even seek help? Did you also know that it's much much MUCH more difficult for men to get into treatment programs? Doctors don't look at men the same, THAT's the real problem. I do in fact know men with anorexia, and the ones who've succeeded in finding treatment had to go through multiple doctors and hospitals to get there. Far less men are treated because A) they are less likely to seek the help because eating disorders are viewed in our society as a womanly problem and is therefore demasculating, and B) it's harder for them to be given the help for the same twisted reason.

Do expand your research, just because you read a figure on a women's based website or in a magazine doesn't mean it's true, or that it tells the whole story.

I can't believe how sexist and ill informed so many people are.

Just because less than 20% of men who struggle with eating disorders seek help doesn't mean that more men than women have eating disorders, and do you really think that the majority of women who suffer from ED seek help, seriously? but Okay,you win...there are more men than women who suffer from eating disorders, now let's go back to Peanut Butter, shall we?

No matter what the stats, eating disorders are not the sole problem of a single gender.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I'm sorry but having been addicted to substances in the past, I have to say that you're wrong. Withdrawal is something serious. You just want to eat peanut butter. I think you might have an eating disorder, compulsive eating or something. It isn't the peanut butters fault. But if it's so serious you are perceiving not eating peanut butter constantly to be something that causes you withdrawal symptoms, you need to speak to a doctor and a psychologist. No sarcasm or rudeness intended. COE can be a serious mental health disorder.
    I agree that I could have a compulsive eating disorder but I don't think it is making me sick, right now it is more of an emotional attachment, brain craving ecT, that is why i used the word "withdrawal" which can also men emotional detachment. I think my brain is focusing on PB and by me trying to resist it, it is making me crave it more, I don't think I have the clinical symptoms of withdrawal though, far from that~

You need to find out *why* you are having this problem. I was the same way with beer, with vodka, and with chocolate. Counseling will help you find the root cause of your behavior.
  • rainbowxelephant
    rainbowxelephant Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm done with this discussion. The amount of close minded people on this site who are always looking for an argument (instead of focusing on helping posters) is unreal. It's a shame people can't just be supportive of the poster without trying to start arguments with people who don't believe what they do. I'm all about good spirited debates but when people just replay with sarcastic remarks instead of how they really feel or think that's when I want nothing to do with it. I once saw a poster tell the original poster she didn't deserve to lose weight because she gave herself a cheat meal. Totally sad. Why can't we just keep it friendly. We're. All here with the same goal (maybe some to gain and build) but we all are watching our nutrition. Can't we discuss without putting others down and be motivating to others?

I came into this forum to discuss something I heard in a class. It was based off of a study. Can the results be skewed. Absolutely. That's a risk in any study. I myself find some truth in it. But I can also see how others can't. And I'm ok with people comment that they don't. By all means let's discuss it. But I don't like people being sarcastic and making me out to being a moron for sharing something I heard with the forum. It makes me not even want to try to help anyone. I don't even want to ask for help myself because people are so mean on here. I'm am being honest and putting all this out there. I'm hoping not to get a mean spirit comment back

Just ignore the negativity. I think everyone should stop making fun of what Nicole said about the relationship between gender and food. If you think that has zero validity, I couldn't disagree more. Men and Women have a very different relationship with food, there is a reason why eating disorders are more prominent in women than men, how many anorexic men do you know? Only 15% of people diagnosed with eating disorders are Male, so there is definitely something more than willpower here. When, we look at society at large, men have a multitude of “acceptable” body types in our culture. This ideal ranges from hyper-thin male models, to Brad Pitt, to hyper-muscular Hulk Hogans. In general, women must adhere only to the thin female ideal, the hour glass shape or else, well they are made to feel ugly and unattractive, so of course this births a whole lot of emotional issues that affect women and their relationship with food. You do not have to agree with what the PP said but there is no need to belittle her or make fun of this theory, we are here to discuss and learn from each other and I appreciate each and everyone's willingness to help/share as long as we can all be nice about it !

Now going back to my PB addiction, I had 1 spoon of PB today and I am feeling the withdrawals, I am craving it like crazy. I am getting ready to go workout and I will reward myself with 2 extra spoons and stick to that amount, nothing more. I did not eat a lot today, I had oatmeal for breakfast +PB, tomato bisque soup for lunch, hummus snack this afternoon. So 2 more PB spoons shouldn't hurt? Thoughts?

Did you know that studies in the UK and in North America have shown that less than 20% of men that struggle with an eating disorder even seek help? Did you also know that it's much much MUCH more difficult for men to get into treatment programs? Doctors don't look at men the same, THAT's the real problem. I do in fact know men with anorexia, and the ones who've succeeded in finding treatment had to go through multiple doctors and hospitals to get there. Far less men are treated because A) they are less likely to seek the help because eating disorders are viewed in our society as a womanly problem and is therefore demasculating, and B) it's harder for them to be given the help for the same twisted reason.

Do expand your research, just because you read a figure on a women's based website or in a magazine doesn't mean it's true, or that it tells the whole story.

Just because less than 20% of men who struggle with eating disorders seek help doesn't mean that more men than women have eating disorders, and do you really think that the majority of women who suffer from ED seek help, seriously? but Okay,you win...there are more men than women who suffer from eating disorders, now let's go back to Peanut Butter, shall we?

No that's not what I was saying. I never sought professional help for my eating disorder and I've had it for over a decade, so no, I don't think women seek help 100% of the time. I was saying that probably the same amount of men, or close to, struggle with emotional eating or mental health disorders that may affect their body image and weight.

Men and women and everyone inbetween, we are all equal. We all struggle. We all join MFP and youtube and have meaningless debates with strangers, and we all have to be right.

As far as PB2, gross.
    The fat is the part that's good for you, food is fuel.
  • HRLaurie614
    HRLaurie614 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Here's my point....I am telling the posted what the study said. Whether or not others buy into it is their own OPIINiON. I'm all about people having opinions. But how do they KNOW it's wrong? I know a few of you on here don't buy into it but don't tell this poor poster that's she just needs willpower . I'm sure she's tried to just not have as often but she's reaching out for a reason. So why don't we give her suggestions on how to get past this instead of just saying to get over it. I don't tell my clients (I work in behavioral health) to just get over their issues. I tell them how

But all you told the OP was that as a woman she'll have a harder time with willpower. You didn't offer a solution or give her any suggestions you just said 'There there, it's not your fault, you have girl parts and that means it's harder for you to say no to food.'

I'm drawing a blank on how that's more helpful than 'willpower', except that I guess what you said will make the OP feel less bad as she eats her 6th spoonful of peanut butter because hey, hormones mean her willpower is just naturally weaker!

Oh, btw: OP, I've been known to down an entire pan of brownies at once and take down whole pizzas all by myself. I stopped doing so because I had to if I wanted to lose weight. It came down a desire to not be overweight and the willpower to stick to my goals. So either you'll do it or you won't, but it's gonna come down to willpower.

^^^^ nodding. To this response and a few others you've made in this thread.
  • lolosensan
    lolosensan Posts: 251
    Options

No that's not what I was saying. I never sought professional help for my eating disorder and I've had it for over a decade, so no, I don't think women seek help 100% of the time. I was saying that probably the same amount of men, or close to, struggle with emotional eating or mental health disorders that may affect their body image and weight.

Men and women and everyone inbetween, we are all equal. We all struggle. We all join MFP and youtube and have meaningless debates with strangers, and we all have to be right.

As far as PB2, gross.

Hm there is a lot of truth in this. Especially with the PB2 being gross part, but we are not all equal and I would be shocked if men suffered the same way women did with these issues not based on biology or hormones or anything like that but based on society alone. When was the last time you saw a fat dad on TV with a hot wife? When was the last time you saw the roles reversed? We have such an incredibly long way to go before women are valued as much as men for "what's inside". I don't think we'll struggle the same until we get there.
  • rainbowxelephant
    Options
    Yes, you're right about society and media being bigger influences on women (usually, anyways.) I agree completely. Everyone is right, brownies with peanut butter icing for everyone
  • fasy1
    fasy1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    So, can I go have my PB now? LOL. Seriously though, I know that I am an emotional eater, I am trying to get better at it. Just started reading the JM book, it is going to take time for me to get there but i am working on it. Now, what do you think the max of PB should be per day if you're not getting a lot of fat from other sources?
  • rainbowxelephant
    Options
    As much as satisfies you. You know what you should read? Intuitive Eating. It preaches to tell yourself that you can eat whatever you want whenever you want, thereby taking away the power that forbidden foods have and stripping it's ability to "addict" you, so to speak. I dunno about you, but when I tell myself I can't have something anymore, odds are the next day, I eat ten of it.
  • nicolemontagna22
    nicolemontagna22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    As much as satisfies you. You know what you should read? Intuitive Eating. It preaches to tell yourself that you can eat whatever you want whenever you want, thereby taking away the power that forbidden foods have and stripping it's ability to "addict" you, so to speak. I dunno about you, but when I tell myself I can't have something anymore, odds are the next day, I eat ten of it.

MFP gives me this feeling you are talking about (having whatever I want) because I was on WW for so long and felt deprived. Then I came here and felt like I was getting so much in quantity an options. I used to need Andy capp hot fries and they were so many points so I'd avoid them then binge. Right now I know I can have them in my plan and don't eat them as much as when they were forbidden! So I totally get this !
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

As far as PB2, gross.

Hm there is a lot of truth in this. Especially with the PB2 being gross part, but we are not all equal and I would be shocked if men suffered the same way women did with these issues not based on biology or hormones or anything like that but based on society alone. When was the last time you saw a fat dad on TV with a hot wife? When was the last time you saw the roles reversed? We have such an incredibly long way to go before women are valued as much as men for "what's inside". I don't think we'll struggle the same until we get there.

What people perceive is not necessarily the same as biological facts. I think the fact that it is perceived that men can easily lose weight if they want but women can't is evidence that "we are not all equal." It's a fact that some men struggle with weight and develop eating disorders. It's also a fact that some women have no problem losing weight once they've set their mind to it. I know I did. It was easy for me to lose 78 pounds. Maintaining it was easy while logging, a little less easy without logging, but I'm doing it. And I am 40 years and have normal female hormone levels.

Willpower is *NOT* gender specific. It's about being headstrong to meet the goals you've set for yourself.
  • williamshl10
    williamshl10 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I love the PB and apple combo too, just the calories are SO high:noway: ! So think of it this way, you only need a little bit of PB to make your whole apple taste like PB. So when I dip my apple, I really take a small pea size amount for a whole apple. Or I dip it in, but do not scoop it up. I think it is just as good and I could have 2 apple for every 2 TB of PB. I know how the "withdrawal" feels, you find something you really want and you have to have it all the time until you are sick of it. I have just been dealing with this and cereal. Just enjoy, but be responsible for it. I used to have like 4 cups of cereal, now I just say I will have 2 cups and I have it at night for my midnight snack. Now, I am sick of it and will soon find another thing to obsess over. So enjoy your PB, just be open to the thought that it has such a potent flavor to it, you really don't need much. If you cut yourself off from it, it will only make you binge on it at 2AM when all you can do is dream of apples diving into a peanut butter pool. :happy: Good luck!
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I agree that willpower is not gender specific. Honestly, you won't get anywhere blaming hormones or whatever else women need to blame for their lack of self control.

I too stuggled with compulsive eating (not addiction) and my symptoms were similar to the op's. I also have ocd and hormonal issues but I still learned moderation and now have plenty of willpower. Drop the excuses, because that is all they are. You have to learn willpower at some point.

PB2 tastes like sadness...
  • nicolemontagna22
    nicolemontagna22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    OP did you ever try tracking ur PB intake? Maybe make a special folder for it in food diary so you can see how much of ur daily number are coming from it? Then u can bring it down. Might be motivating!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Yes, you're right about society and media being bigger influences on women (usually, anyways.) I agree completely. Everyone is right, brownies with peanut butter icing for everyone

Peanut_Butter_Brownie_Bites_large.jpg
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I agree that willpower is not gender specific. Honestly, you won't get anywhere blaming hormones or whatever else women need to blame for their lack of self control.

I too stuggled with compulsive eating (not addiction) and my symptoms were similar to the op's. I also have ocd and hormonal issues but I still learned moderation and now have plenty of willpower. Drop the excuses, because that is all they are. You have to learn willpower at some point.

PB2 tastes like sadness...

:drinker:
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

When referring to an eating disorder(s), PLEASE spell the word "eating disorder" out... It seriously looks like you just said "...the majority of women who suffer from (erectile dysfunction) ED...". The common abbreviation for erectile dysfunction should NOT be used to describe other medical conditions/situations... lol
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    so many uneducated statements in this thread.

But I love peanut butter and eat it almost daily......and the alternatives are horrible. I don't care what others say...Don't even taste like peanut butter.

Eat at moderation or limit other foods that day if you splurge on it.

You didn't know that we are supposed to be supportive of ignorance? I forward you the memo. :laugh:
  • rainbowxelephant
    Options

Peanut_Butter_Brownie_Bites_large.jpg

Ohmygoodness yum. Need this in my life right now. It's 10am but who cares ha
  • JMPFEIFER47
    JMPFEIFER47 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is one of my trigger foods, added to apples or bananas. When I do have it, it's difficult to stop with 2 Tablespoons. I don't have that problem with the PB2. I also added a small amount of crunchy PB to the PB2 for a change of pace.
    The PB2 also comes with premium chocolate, if you want to try it before purchasing a large jar, some Green Markets sell the sample package for about $1.00. If you are wanting to avoid the sugars not much will be gained by switching to PB2, however there are other benefits.
    Jif Reduced Fat PB: C=190, Fat=12,Sodium=220, Carb=15, Fiber=2,Sugar=4, Protein=7
    PB2: C=45, Fat=1,Sodium=70, Carb=6, Fiber=1,Sugar=3, Protein=4

To the gentleman that stated 'Willpower" is the answer, implying (to my way of thinking) those who struggle don't have willpower, I would like to point out the following...

Willpower is what we have in abundance, otherwise we would not continue trying to lose weight and return to a healthy weight.
    "Won't Power" is what is needed... I Won't have (fill in the blank _____________) over a healthy amount today.
  • JMPFEIFER47
    JMPFEIFER47 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    HRLaurie614, well said, thank you!