Peanut Butter Addiction

Options

Replies

• kmart919
    kmart919 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I too have a somewhat addictive personality. When I get focused on something, I get FOCUSED on it until I move on to something else. It can be anything...paper crafting, counting calories, Vegas, thrifting, setting a skincare routine, selling on eBay, shopping, bubble tea, anything then one day I find something else and move on without even realizing.

I'm sure hormones play a role in your emotions and cravings, HOWEVER, please, don't use that as a crutch or excuse.
    Because that is of no benefit to YOU. Hormones are not forcing PB in your mouth. It IS about willpower, unless you have a true clinical problem. Then that requires professional assistance. Even iwhen people try to say that they have no willpower so they just don't buy it. That's not entirely accurate. They HAD the will power to not buy it in the first place. I LOVE peanut butter and can easily inhale 4 tbs (6-8tbs is a LOT of PB) without even thinking about it, but I usually don't...even when I want to. PB2 is good to satisfy cravings, but it's distinctly different from real peanut butter. TBH, you JUST had PB & apples for the first time two weeks ago. You found a new food you like. Ok, that's fine. Now you need moderate your intake, as you will with any food. I, personally, couldn't consider apples and PB to be my dinner. I'd need...idk...something else. PB & apples is more of a snack to more. Now on to what might actually be helpful.

-PB2 or any powdered PB alternative
    -Do you have a food scale? Weight your PB and PRE-LOG it so you can see the calories, fat and protein amounts that you are about to consume.
    -Move the jars somewhere inconvenient that requires work for you to get it. This way if you REALLY want it, you'll get it. If you don't really want it, you might think twice.
    -If you really can't enjoy a reasonable serving & stop, then don't buy it or buy something like Justin's which come in single serve packets.
    -When you're eating, focus on eating. Don't do it mindlessly while watching tv or something. Stop when satiated, not stuffed.
    -Make sure you're eating adequate protein and fat from other healthy sources. On the plus side, you have natural PB so no added sugars or hydrogenated oils, and nuts provide "good" fats.
    -Try to determine if you are actually hungry or eating for another reason such as boredom or stress. If you feel it's due to boredom or stress try to do another activity instead of eating.
    -Dont make excuses, make sustainable changes! Excuses will only hinder YOUR progress and hurt you, not us.
  • kilsafari
    kilsafari Posts: 61
    Options
    Only popping in to this messy thread to say thank you to the folks on page one for introducing PB2 to my life.
  • fasy1
    fasy1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I got the Chocolate PB2 at WalMart, they also have regular PB2, and YES, it tastes like a Reeses for only 45 cal per TBS - 2 TBS with an apple is to die for! JUST WATCH THE CARB AND SUGARS, if you are diabetic. There is added sugar in the chocolate PB2 and I think also in the regular PB2, so if you are diabetic, don't overdo.

I heard about that 2, I am not diabetic, but between sugar and fat, what's the worse poison? :)

Neither, one is carbs your body uses for energy, the other fat is essential for hormone regulation and overall health.

If you want an enemy, look in the mirror. We are the champion or the villain. You can't blame an inanimate object

True. The key being moderation which my brain knows ughhhhhh. I need to get out of this mess I created
  • fasy1
    Options
    I too have a somewhat addictive personality. When I get focused on something, I get FOCUSED on it until I move on to something else. It can be anything...paper crafting, counting calories, Vegas, thrifting, setting a skincare routine, selling on eBay, shopping, bubble tea, anything then one day I find something else and move on without even realizing.

I'm sure hormones play a role in your emotions and cravings, HOWEVER, please, don't use that as a crutch or excuse.
    Because that is of no benefit to YOU. Hormones are not forcing PB in your mouth. It IS about willpower, unless you have a true clinical problem. Then that requires professional assistance. Even iwhen people try to say that they have no willpower so they just don't buy it. That's not entirely accurate. They HAD the will power to not buy it in the first place. I LOVE peanut butter and can easily inhale 4 tbs (6-8tbs is a LOT of PB) without even thinking about it, but I usually don't...even when I want to. PB2 is good to satisfy cravings, but it's distinctly different from real peanut butter. TBH, you JUST had PB & apples for the first time two weeks ago. You found a new food you like. Ok, that's fine. Now you need moderate your intake, as you will with any food. I, personally, couldn't consider apples and PB to be my dinner. I'd need...idk...something else. PB & apples is more of a snack to more. Now on to what might actually be helpful.

-PB2 or any powdered PB alternative
    -Do you have a food scale? Weight your PB and PRE-LOG it so you can see the calories, fat and protein amounts that you are about to consume.
    -Move the jars somewhere inconvenient that requires work for you to get it. This way if you REALLY want it, you'll get it. If you don't really want it, you might think twice.
    -If you really can't enjoy a reasonable serving & stop, then don't buy it or buy something like Justin's which come in single serve packets.
    -When you're eating, focus on eating. Don't do it mindlessly while watching tv or something. Stop when satiated, not stuffed.
    -Make sure you're eating adequate protein and fat from other healthy sources. On the plus side, you have natural PB so no added sugars or hydrogenated oils, and nuts provide "good" fats.
    -Try to determine if you are actually hungry or eating for another reason such as boredom or stress. If you feel it's due to boredom or stress try to do another activity instead of eating.
    -Dont make excuses, make sustainable changes! Excuses will only hinder YOUR progress and hurt you, not us.

Your first paragraph is totally me, that's what I do with everything till I find something else. No I don't have a food scale actually, i guesstimate a lot when it comes to portions/calories. Thanks for your post, I agree with everything you said, I Need to make changes and stop binging!
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I got the Chocolate PB2 at WalMart, they also have regular PB2, and YES, it tastes like a Reeses for only 45 cal per TBS - 2 TBS with an apple is to die for! JUST WATCH THE CARB AND SUGARS, if you are diabetic. There is added sugar in the chocolate PB2 and I think also in the regular PB2, so if you are diabetic, don't overdo.

I heard about that 2, I am not diabetic, but between sugar and fat, what's the worse poison? :)

Neither, one is carbs your body uses for energy, the other fat is essential for hormone regulation and overall health.

If you want an enemy, look in the mirror. We are the champion or the villain. You can't blame an inanimate object

True. The key being moderation which my brain knows ughhhhhh. I need to get out of this mess I created

♡ I can understand the struggle with moderation in that, there was a time food was my comfort. When I got depressed or upset, my feet would know the way to the kitchen and my hands followed accordingly.

I'm not saying it was easy, getting out of that rut. But there's just that pivotal moment that you have to decide for yourself what it's all for. It took me a few months getting used to a deficit and finding things I enjoyed, accepting me in every stage but I think you'll get there. You just have to be patient and understand that you do have a choice. You can do it ♡. This isn't about winning and losing, it's an uphill battle and even if you slip, you have to get back up and keep going.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    The chocolate PB2 probably won't satisfy the craving for peanut butter. Go to the store (BEFORE you run out of your peanut butter stash) and look for the regular PB2. Also try peanut butter Cheerios, they are YUMMMMMMMMY.

PB2 is so much better than I imagined. Coming in powder form I really thought I would have to choke it down, but it tastes totally normal.

Then when you get your PB2 you can make 4 tbs of it (that's more reasonable!) and look over at the regular stuff in your pantry and tell it to get lost.
  • kmart919
    kmart919 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    A food scale is SO helpful! I bought a $20 one from bed bath and beyond about a year and a half ago and it really helps with portions sizes when I PRE-log the calories. At this point, im pretty good at estimating sizes of things i eat regularly, but I usually do still weigh. For me, being able to see the nutrition info BEFORE I eat something greatly influences what/how much I have. This week, I've been house sitting and there's lots of pre made and processed food here compared to my house. I logged AFTER I ate today....2000something calories. Oops. It's usually more like 1450. It's only until Friday at least, but had I weighed & pre-logged, I probably wouldve cut back somewhere. Just try not to get obsessed with the weighing and counting! It took a LONG time for me to stop obsessing about weighing things to the GRAM every single time I ate and weighing myself. I was constantly thinking about calories for many, many months and it really got distracting. I'm all good now though, I've moved on from that focus for now lol I just don't want you to get stuck in that same boat. Moderating anything isn't always easy, but it is important :)
  • fasy1
    Options

♡ I can understand the struggle with moderation in that, there was a time food was my comfort. When I got depressed or upset, my feet would know the way to the kitchen and my hands followed accordingly.

I'm not saying it was easy, getting out of that rut. But there's just that pivotal moment that you have to decide for yourself what it's all for. It took me a few months getting used to a deficit and finding things I enjoyed, accepting me in every stage but I think you'll get there. You just have to be patient and understand that you do have a choice. You can do it ♡. This isn't about winning and losing, it's an uphill battle and even if you slip, you have to get back up and keep going.

Uphill battle is the word. Congrats on the 50lbs+ loss, that takes dedication!
  • fasy1
    Options
    The chocolate PB2 probably won't satisfy the craving for peanut butter. Go to the store (BEFORE you run out of your peanut butter stash) and look for the regular PB2. Also try peanut butter Cheerios, they are YUMMMMMMMMY.

PB2 is so much better than I imagined. Coming in powder form I really thought I would have to choke it down, but it tastes totally normal.

Then when you get your PB2 you can make 4 tbs of it (that's more reasonable!) and look over at the regular stuff in your pantry and tell it to get lost.

I will use it on my oatmeal for Bfast, I think it will be less noticeable that way, I couldn't find the regular PB2, thats why i got the chocolate flavor, but i will check again. Thanks
  • sally884
    sally884 Posts: 51
    Options
    I love it too! One of the reasons I gained so much I would just make a sandwich with 2 tbsp each!
    Now I understand and just use half a tbsp and it satisfies me :)
    There is something in that stuff!!
  • fasy1
    Options
    A food scale is SO helpful! I bought a $20 one from bed bath and beyond about a year and a half ago and it really helps with portions sizes when I PRE-log the calories. At this point, im pretty good at estimating sizes of things i eat regularly, but I usually do still weigh. For me, being able to see the nutrition info BEFORE I eat something greatly influences what/how much I have. This week, I've been house sitting and there's lots of pre made and processed food here compared to my house. I logged AFTER I ate today....2000something calories. Oops. It's usually more like 1450. It's only until Friday at least, but had I weighed & pre-logged, I probably wouldve cut back somewhere. Just try not to get obsessed with the weighing and counting! It took a LONG time for me to stop obsessing about weighing things to the GRAM every single time I ate and weighing myself. I was constantly thinking about calories for many, many months and it really got distracting. I'm all good now though, I've moved on from that focus for now lol I just don't want you to get stuck in that same boat. Moderating anything isn't always easy, but it is important :)

I will get a food scale,lots of people have recommended it. I used to do very well when I was logging daily, I have to return to that. Seeing the actual numbers helps a lot. Congrats on learning to be this disciplined, I know it is hard work!
  • nicolemviolette
    nicolemviolette Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter too! Its the calories that get me though. Have you ever tried PB2 ??? It only has 45 calories per serving. You just have to mix the powder with water and it tastes just like real peanut butter. Its also good for smoothies and stuff too. Check it out :)
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    are you kidding me? There is no such thing as too much peanut butter.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    If I have a problem with something. I just don't buy it. I love love peanut butter too. and cheese. yum. I only buy the single serve peanut butters by jif. For cheese I just don't buy it. or I get one that I don't like, for instance swiss. yucky. Having a whole jar of peanut butter around me is like throwing an open bottle of jack in front of a recovering alchholic. it just cant be done. I do have the peanut butter but its already measured out and only three come in a package so I have to space it out for the week. if you cant stop eating it.. try this for your fix: put one tablespoon of the pb into a bowl of plain oatmeal. omg, it is so good and tastes like an entire bowl of peanut butter. it helps.
  • wideturn
    wideturn Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    oh god why did you tell me that, no no no I musnt !
    I loved that other one also, OH ALMOND BUTTER OMG!

I second this! Almond butter would be a good alternative. I have a horrible PB+J addiction myself..
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    willpower.

you don't say
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Im exactly the same, I love peanut butter. I got to work 30 mins ago, and guess what the first thing I did once I put the kettle on???

I got a spoon out the drawer, and quickly had two teaspoons... so yummy! I love it in my hot oats for breakfast too!!! I could easily eat a whole jar, but the calories... Yikes!!!

I would say have your PB, But add it into your calories, Or if you go over, burn them off at the gym!!

Peanut butter sandwiches are to dye for...

Peanut butter protein pancakes... Yummy!!!

Its a mouth orgasm... Ha Ha!!!!!!!!!!! Try half PB, and half nutella on a spoon.......... : )
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    If I have a food I really enjoy and is risking putting me over my calorie budget I just use it as a reward for completing my exercise routine.

Did you go for that 4 mile run you said you would go on today? You did? Awesome, you get some peanut butter. You didn't? To bad, no peanut butter for you.

Of course like all things this sort of reward system is driven by willpower.
  • princessnuriko
    princessnuriko Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've tried PB2 and it's not very good. Maybe I bought a crappy jar of it. The idea of powdered peanut buter is great for baking and shakes. I'm also addicted to peanut butter, raisins and milton's double fiber bread. I eat one serving everyday for dessert. I LOVE Peter Pan, Whipped peanut butter. 150 calories per serving. Not that great, but lower in calories than regular peanut butter, and less sugar. My son loves it too....also way better than PB2 powder. I'll save my jar for chocolate peanutbutter shakes.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    So what I learned from this is because I'm female I can eat the entire cheesecake in my fridge right now and blame hormones instead of just having 1 serving when it fits into my day? Guess I should go dig in.

PB2 is not a substitute for real peanut butter, it's good to bake with when you wanted an added PB taste but I wouldn't buy it again.