Peanut Butter Addiction

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I too find myself craving peanut butter often. My solution was PB2 natural powdered peanut butter. I personally recommend it because while it is pretty much fat free and sugar free it is still delicious! Since it is powdered and you must first mix it with water to make, you will more than likely avoid peanut butter binges by not being able to immediately eat it out of the jar. The act of preparing it allows you to think - do I really need this? (hint: the answer is almost always no ;)

but don't the hormones say "yes"?
  • fasy1
    fasy1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    OP Back, thank you everyone for the responses. I will clarify a bit. I used the word " addicted" because I have an addictive personality ( not just for food) and when I am into something, it messes up my brain so bad that it's the only thing I can think about, like @ work, all I think about is the end of teh day, when i can finally sit down and have my apples + PB. I buy the Smucker's natural brand so it doesn't have any sugar in it, just peanuts and salt. I might crave it because I don't eat a lot of other fat, I try to get all my fat from the PB. I heard about PB2 and actually bought it but have yet to try it, it is still in my pantry . The one I have is the chocolate flavor as I couldn't find the plain one, for some reason I am thinking it will taste weird but I will give it a shot. To the person who asked if the apples +PB was in addition to something else, no that's basically my dinner. The natural PB was on sale at the store and I bought 8 jars, I don't want to finish these in a few days so I really need to stick to a certain amount/day. Right now, I don't eat it during the day, just @ night, there are days when I add a spoon to my oatmeal for breakfast but rarely. Thank you again
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    OP Back, thank you everyone for the responses. I will clarify a bit. I used the word " addicted" because I have an addictive personality ( not just for food) and when I am into something, it messes up my brain so bad that it's the only thing I can think about, like @ work, all I think about is the end of teh day, when i can finally sit down and have my apples + PB. I buy the Smucker's natural brand so it doesn't have any sugar in it, just peanuts and salt. I might crave it because I don't eat a lot of other fat, I try to get all my fat from the PB. I heard about PB2 and actually bought it but have yet to try it, it is still in my pantry . The one I have is the chocolate flavor as I couldn't find the plain one, for some reason I am thinking it will taste weird but I will give it a shot. To the person who asked if the apples +PB was in addition to something else, no that's basically my dinner. The natural PB was on sale at the store and I bought 8 jars, I don't want to finish these in a few days so I really need to stick to a certain amount/day. Right now, I don't eat it during the day, just @ night, there are days when I add a spoon to my oatmeal for breakfast but rarely. Thank you again

Have you considered getting your fat from other sources and seeing if that helps with the cravings? Cheese, full fat yogurt, olive oil, butter...all sources of fat that probably meet the 'standard' metric of 'healthy' these days.
  • nicolemontagna22
    nicolemontagna22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Understanding the problem is a good start to getting past something. In a prior post I suggested pb2. Offering a solution to her not wanted to kill her calories and fat due to peanut butter. Not just telling her to give it up. Willpower would be a good suggestion but how. How did you all gain willpower?
  • ndj1979
    Options

in the future just by one jar at a time…that will help you space it out ..if you have 8 jars in the house then it is easy to go through them a lot faster then you would like…

and you know, the hormones will make you eat all eight jars….
  • fasy1
    Options
    And to those saying "Willpower", well if I had enough willpower, I think i wouldn't be in this situation in the first place :) It is very hard to explain, I know that I want to lose weight, be healthy, eat healthy, my brain knows that but my brain does not always carry majority rule over my tongue and my mouth and all this emotional baggage that i am carrying, so yeh unfortunately willpower is something I struggle with
  • fasy1
    Options

in the future just by one jar at a time…that will help you space it out ..if you have 8 jars in the house then it is easy to go through them a lot faster then you would like…

and you know, the hormones will make you eat all eight jars….

That's true. I am thinking about not buying it anymore after these 8 jars are done!
  • recoveringleah
    Options
    The guys in this thread are cracking me up! :laugh:
  • ndj1979
    Options
    And to those saying "Willpower", well if I had enough willpower, I think i wouldn't be in this situation in the first place :) It is very hard to explain, I know that I want to lose weight, be healthy, eat healthy, my brain knows that but my brain does not always carry majority rule over my tongue and my mouth and all this emotional baggage that i am carrying, so yeh unfortunately willpower is something I struggle with

it is a learned thing…

when I was a 220 fat kid I would binge on ice cream, pizza, cookies, etc….so I removed them from the house for a time and then slowly reintroduced them and learn to eat just one to two servings….

Right now, I have about six pints of gelato in my freezer, and cookies and some granola dark chocolate bars in my cabinet….if I want one serving of ice cream, I have one serving..if I want a few cookies, I have a few cookies..etc…

Back in the day I would of eaten it all in a few days..but now, over time, I have learned to just eat one serving…

I think logging helps because if you log all that peanut butter and see how many calories it is you will be like "holy sh**" did I really just eat that much of my calories in peanut butter…

so it is a learning process OP and does not happen over night..

just don't let this pesky hormones keep you down….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Here's my point....I am telling the posted what the study said. Whether or not others buy into it is their own OPIINiON. I'm all about people having opinions. But how do they KNOW it's wrong? I know a few of you on here don't buy into it but don't tell this poor poster that's she just needs willpower . I'm sure she's tried to just not have as often but she's reaching out for a reason. So why don't we give her suggestions on how to get past this instead of just saying to get over it. I don't tell my clients (I work in behavioral health) to just get over their issues. I tell them how

so are you saying when I was over weight and binged that i was hormonal too? My testosterone machine stopped working for a while and I went hormonal?????
  • nicolemontagna22
    Options
    Jillian michaels winning by losing is a great book. It made me realize a lot about the reasons I eat and to really look at the reasons and replace it with other activities.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    IMHO: Food addictions can be real. Compulsive overeating is the opposite side of the coin from anorexia. In fact, people will go between the two disorders. If you believe yourself to have an eating disorder I'd find a 12 step program (OA) to help. It's not about willpower if it's addiction.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

Here's a thought, get one jar out and make it last a set period of time, say 2 weeks or even a month. Hide the others somewhere really inconvenient, maybe a neighbor's house. Tell you neighbor your plan. Do not go buy anymore until those 8 jars are gone.

I've tried both regular PB2 and the chocolate PB2. I only use it in protein shakes and smoothies so I can't tell you much about mixing it with water. I didn't taste much chocolate in the chocolate PB2 though.
  • nicolemontagna22
    Options
    Here's my point....I am telling the posted what the study said. Whether or not others buy into it is their own OPIINiON. I'm all about people having opinions. But how do they KNOW it's wrong? I know a few of you on here don't buy into it but don't tell this poor poster that's she just needs willpower . I'm sure she's tried to just not have as often but she's reaching out for a reason. So why don't we give her suggestions on how to get past this instead of just saying to get over it. I don't tell my clients (I work in behavioral health) to just get over their issues. I tell them how

so are you saying when I was over weight and binged that i was hormonal too? My testosterone machine stopped working for a while and I went hormonal?????

There is a reason you binged. Maybe you body was missing certain nutrients based off of the days diet, maybe you were stressed, maybe your hormones were off. Not saying your testosterone was low. Do you know why you binge when you do? I'm not asking in a prove a point way I seriously want to know. The reason I'm on here is to take in as much info as I can from others experiences
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

If you truly think you have an addiction and can't get your 'brain' to work over your mouth then I'd seek help beyond these forums because in the end nothing is going to stop you except for you.

You can switch to P2B or whatever it's called, but what's going to keep you from just eating more of that until you've taken in must as much calorie wise as you would have with the peanut butter? What will stop you from eating that and peanut butter? The answer is: Nothing. Nothing short of telling yourself no and then following through, at least.
  • bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    pb2 is the best invention eva!
  • fasy1
    Options

it is a learned thing…

when I was a 220 fat kid I would binge on ice cream, pizza, cookies, etc….so I removed them from the house for a time and then slowly reintroduced them and learn to eat just one to two servings….

Right now, I have about six pints of gelato in my freezer, and cookies and some granola dark chocolate bars in my cabinet….if I want one serving of ice cream, I have one serving..if I want a few cookies, I have a few cookies..etc…

Back in the day I would of eaten it all in a few days..but now, over time, I have learned to just eat one serving…

I think logging helps because if you log all that peanut butter and see how many calories it is you will be like "holy sh**" did I really just eat that much of my calories in peanut butter…

so it is a learning process OP and does not happen over night..

just don't let this pesky hormones keep you down….

Congrats to you, I bet those testosterone did help a little bit , just admit it :-p I hope I can have the same willpower one day, I need to train myself ! Portion size is my biggest issue. I used to log my food and yes it did help at the time, I should start doing that again
  • fasy1
    Options
    Jillian michaels winning by losing is a great book. It made me realize a lot about the reasons I eat and to really look at the reasons and replace it with other activities.

I love JM, I will look for the book
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Will power is easier for males. I took an eating disorder class from penn state and learned that males have a different approach to dieting than females. To men food is just food whereas to females there is a more emotional relationship. We r more likely to eat due to feelings. For the most part. Some men feel this way too and some women don't but in general this is the way it seems to be. It's ions of the many reasons women have a harder time losing weight than men,

I don't have a problem with food, feelings and willpower and I'm a female. I know tons of guys who don't seem to be able to manage their appetites. Not sure men have better self-control than women AT ALL. The males and females I know seem to be pretty much the same when it comes to crappy eating habits, including the stereotypical chocolate binges...:laugh:
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Another vote for PB2. I was never that into peanut butter in the first place, so just not buying it & not eating it was easy for me. But I do like it with apples & bananas, and I enjoy a PB&J once in awhile, so I decided to try PB2 & I love it. I especially like the chocolate flavor with banana's for a quick breakfast. YUM.

I wasn't a peanut butter connoisseur prior to trying it, so the minor differences in texture & sweetness didn't bother me at all - though some people do have issues with that, so be aware. I'd get a small jar at Walmart to try, & then if you like it you can usually get it for a better price on Amazon.