Diet Coke Alternative

Options

Replies

• tutzger
    tutzger Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I really like flavored sparkly water - La Croix comes in many tasty flavors. No sodium, etc. It's taken me a while, but I've come to favor that over most sodas...
  • statickey
    statickey Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Love an occasional Coke Zero or Cherry Coke Zero.
  • xosillylilalixo
    Options
    Meh.

As an expert soda drinker myself (haha), I think you'll be fine just limiting it. I used to drink about 60 ounces of regular soda in a day, but then switched to diets/zeros and started cutting down because my physician lectured me enough. He told me like 16 ounces a day was fine. I agreed to try limiting it to 20 ounces daily (so I could still get a 20 ounce bottle a day... because I knew a 12 ounce can would not be enough, haha). I've replaced my beloved soda with water. For me, I'm not going to find an alternative to soda that I'll really care about. Sometimes I'll add lemon to my water.
  • outdoorslife
    outdoorslife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love Zevia! Drinking a root beer right now, they also have diet cola. http://www.zevia.com/

+1 enjoy it when I just need some "sweet" bubble drink!
  • arthurcraig391
    Options
    I'm not going to argue semantics with you. I asked a legitimate question and you gave a short, smart-*** answer. That kind of help is not what I am looking for here.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to argue semantics with you. I asked a legitimate question and you gave a short, smart-*** answer. That kind of help is not what I am looking for here.

This is a free internet forum. If you want to control the manner in or attitude with which people answer your questions, you should consider hiring a professional instead of asking a bunch of unpaid strangers.
  • outdoorslife
    outdoorslife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    All the best in cutting out soda's! What I did (without hitting on the religion of sweeteners!) was cut back, found cola's, ginger ale's and root beers that were sugar based as a start. Then cut back on those to Zevia (stevia sweetened), from there I switched in having ginger tea to have a bit of a snap, and water with lemon, or Poland Springs bubbly water.

Long process, but cut out soda's except for the occasional (1x week) ginger ale or root beer from Zevia....
  • Farahdubai
    Farahdubai Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was a 25 year diet coke/pepsi addict so I feel your frustration . It ain't easy getting off that stuff. I made several weak attempts until I kicked it last year. When it's hot, it's easy to drink ice water or iced tea (unsweetened) as a substitute so I made the transition last summer. Lemon slices can put a bit of flavor to your water and there are also those flavored water packs but some have artificial sweeteners so read the packages.

I like the VitaRain Zero from Costco (41 cents each) versus the name brand Vitamin Water Zero that are twice as much. I limit myself to one a day and they are a lightly sweet alternative to drinking iced tea and water. I've only had one Diet Coke this year and if you told me I'd someday be able to walk away from the wild cravings for diet pop, I'd have laughed hysterically. I found that my food cravings went way down once I stopped drinking soda. Once you are off soda, you'll find that your taste adjusts to the less sweet stuff and it becomes much easier with time. Now I'm a green tea fanatic and have at least two cups of hot tea a day.

I was a diet coke addict too! Nothing makes a meal yummier than a diet coke or coke zero or coke anything really. But i found that it is a MAJOR bloater. So even though it is zero calories - it bloated me more than anything so i never felt flat or fit etc. What i do now is i have sparking water (for fizz) and put in a slice of lemon or even lemon juice (if you can stand the sourness) or sometimes i make water with raspberries and lime - just put them in the fridge overnight and in the morning, you have a jug of flavoured water!! Try it and you will see the difference!
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Costco has Takeya pitchers for infusing water and teas. A two pack is on sale now for $19.99 (I walked past a display last night but I've owned my pitchers for over 2 years now). I love water with strawberries, but lemons, limes, raspberries, blackberries work nicely too. The infused water isn't sweet though...it just has a fruit flavor that makes it interesting and fresh. Love the pitchers for making tea, too.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    What is bad with Diet Coke in moderation?? I am not a Coke person, I prefer Diet Pepsi but that being said I drink 2-3 a day and still get in my 100+ oz., of water... The Aspartame fear mongering will commence with in the next 2 or 3 post so I will just say the dosage you would have to consume before it becomes an issue is Way More than you or I could ever think of drinking... I stand firmly in the camp of there is no reason to cut it out.... Best of Luck.....

haha I definitely just was guilty of the aspartame post before I read your [and all the other posts] and i know it isn't important to everyone but as someone who takes an SSRI to increase the productivity of my poor suffereing neurotransmitters, i refuse to consume something that attacks them even more, especially while paying cost for the SSRIs.

To each their own battles I guess :flowerforyou:
    I still say I loooooove Pepsi next
    Sooo... are you going to provide any evidence for this claim about taking SSRIs and diet soda, or are you just stating an unsubstantiated opinion? Because there is ample evidence that alcohol should be avoided while taking some SSRIs, and I take only a rare sip of someone else's beer as a result of that to mitigate the risk of seizure, but I've never heard of any documentation regarding diet soda.
  • carrolltongrl
    carrolltongrl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have successfully given up Diet Coke by switching to unsweet tea. I didn't really like it at first but at least it has caffeine. I don't remember liking Diet Coke in the beginning either, but I got used to it because of the zero-calories. After about 3 weeks of drinking unsweet tea with my lunch I have switched to water and am happier about that choice. I don't mind tea so much now. Some places have better tea than others, it's not all the same.

Sometimes in a restaurant I'll order a club soda with lime, also an acquired taste, but a healthier choice.

I'm shocked how many people think diet and regular sodas are fine. I disagree with them.
  • xplosion80
    xplosion80 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You are right. I am not a big fan of chewing gums.
    Already stopped it.

It worked for me but not sure if this could help others. Just shared my experience.

Else there is no point in changing trains :)
    I used to have 4 cans each day.
    Reduced it to 3, 2 and then 1 can a day.

Then 6 days, 5 days and gradually, I am having coke only on weekends and a can or 2.
    Hoping to stop completely.

Chewing gums helped me to come over the cravings.
    So, you traded one artificial sweetener vehicle for another? OK. I'm sure that'll go over well with the anti-soda crowd. Are you planning on weaning yourself off that too?
  • adam3553
    adam3553 Posts: 3
    Options
    Iced Tea
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Water
  • arthurcraig391
    Options
    Done. So long. Wish I could say it's been fun.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Diet pop is a significant vice of mine. I think I drink a lot more of it than I do water, unfortunately.
  • jkotchon
    jkotchon Posts: 1
    Options
    I like to put a drop or two of mint extract in really cold water. It's very refreshing, and much nicer than drinking plain old water.
  • xplosion80
    xplosion80 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I like to put a drop or two of mint extract in really cold water. It's very refreshing, and much nicer than drinking plain old water.

Thats a nice idea. Do you crush the mint a little to get the flavor in water?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Thats a nice idea. Do you crush the mint a little to get the flavor in water?
    I don't think they meant actual mint leaves. That doesn't seem like it would be very good... too... greeny. Good ol' fake peppermint extract sounds much more refreshing than actual mint leaves.
  • rachaelbmh
    Options
    Water is a great alternative to any diet or regular soda. You can flavor it by infusing with water. Or buying a brand like Talking Rain which is a flavored seltzer without any of the sugar/artificial sweeteners.