disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    5257.jpg

:laugh: love this!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Y u do this?!

Especially when most of you are bad at it!!!

My husband backs into EVERY spot ALL the time. He is a fireman. They back the rigs into the firehouse after a run so that they can pull out safely when called. He is really good at it. In my neighborhood, in which most men are firefighters or police officers, backing in is the norm. The wives not so much.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I do it.

I'm good at it. I park better backwards than most others do forwards.

And it's so I can get away more quickly.

Well of course, those women following you on your walks are pretty sketch.

Situational awareness. Always vigilant.

(edit: typo...because "vigilante" is funny, but makes no sense.)
  • lookin4gains
    lookin4gains Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I worked at a dealership as a teen for a while and developed good skills with parking. I usually back into a spot because my car looks sexy as hell when I'm walking back to it when I leave. Call me vain but when I spend 5 hours on a weekend hand waxing it I like to look at it. Lol
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people. I always back in. Because I can. But also because when you back into the space you are reversing in a situation where you are controlling the traffic around you. When you back out of a space you are reversing in a situation where the traffic around you controls you. All of these comments about how it is more dangerous, or more likely to cause an accident, are absolutely wrong. Yes, you are more vulnerable reversing. This is why it makes sense to do so when traffic is waiting for you, as opposed to when you are waiting for traffic.
  • Domineer
    Domineer Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    depending on the space and where you are located, it is easier to deal with the hassle of backing in so you can pull out later.
  • Domineer
    Domineer Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people. I always back in. Because I can. But also because when you back into the space you are reversing in a situation where you are controlling the traffic around you. When you back out of a space you are reversing in a situation where the traffic around you controls you. All of these comments about how it is more dangerous, or more likely to cause an accident, are absolutely wrong. Yes, you are more vulnerable reversing. This is why it makes sense to do so when traffic is waiting for you, as opposed to when you are waiting for traffic.

Well put!!!
  • yuuen
    yuuen Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    ^ Why I prefer to do it.

Also I'm boss at parking reversed, yet I can't parallel park for ****....
  • pettychia
    pettychia Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Because, if the spots are tight you're lining up your driver's side with another driver's side. Assuming most people leave more room on the side they exit from, that gives you an extra couple inches in which to get in and out of the car.
  • finallylean
    finallylean Posts: 553 Member
    Options

tumblr_mfwu2uFZoZ1qfkgtwo1_500.gif
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    My Dad was a police officer. He always backed into the spot at home with his take home car.
    When I started to drive, I didn't have much money so, quite often, I would require a jump start. I learned that if I was backed into a spot, it was easier to get cables to my battery.
    In the Army, we backed our vehicles into spots.
    Now, unless I know ahead of time I am loading a bunch of crap into the vehicle, I back into the spot.
    I drive a Wrangler daily and I can back in faster then most people can pull in nose first.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend backs into parking spaces to show off his car XP
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I back into spaces when I drive my pick up truck so that bed of the truck is extended over the grass/median as opposed to the *kitten* end of the truck sticking halway out into the driving lane of the parking lot.
  • OSUfan73
    OSUfan73 Posts: 4
    Options
    I was a requirement at a previous job of mine so out of ease and habit I do this still today, but only when no one is behind me or waiting.
  • RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    In case the zombie apocalypse occurs... I can get moving without having to back up. I'm also very good at it.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I back my motorcycle into the curb. It makes for an easy exit.

I back my car into a space because I want to.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I'm not good at backing up into the parking space so I don't. I hate when other people do it because...they pass up the spot and start to back up and I am on their tail (and thinking I got a spot). Then if they won't move, If I am in a hurry, then I have to back up so they can have the parking spot I could have had. And they are sooo damn slow and they have to adjust. Just get the heck out of my way if you want to do it.

I was actually late for a test because I got stuck waiting for a guy to back his huge truck into a parking space (I did allow extra time for traffic). I was blocked in and had to wait. It was ridiculous how long it took, and then I wasn't allowed into the testing room. Stupid back-in parkers! :angry:

Just kidding. No, I'm not. Oh, I'm kidding!
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I back into spaces when I drive my pick up truck so that bed of the truck is extended over the grass/median as opposed to the *kitten* end of the truck sticking halway out into the driving lane of the parking lot.

How refreshing! Many of the people with ginormous trucks seem to make it their life work to inconvenience everyone around them. On behalf of normal size car drivers everywhere...thank you!
  • Captain_Wobbles
    Captain_Wobbles Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I was persuaded to add on an optional reverse camera and by golly I'm gonna use it!
  • trekkie_bbs
    trekkie_bbs Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I always back into a spot or pull through to the other side if I can. Having some idiot with a van park next to you so you can't see traffic when backing out until you are fully blocking traffic is just stupidly dangerous. Learn your vehicle, use indentations, markers, etc. to guide you to the sweet spot.

I mean seriously. How can you NOT back into a parking spot?

But then again I use 4 different kinds of forklifts, 2 different kinds of cherry pickers, electric pallet jack, and have used a scissor lift in the past without ever crashing into something. As a matter of fact I used to train people on them so maybe it's just my experience level or just dumb luck.

Either way I will always back into a spot if I can't pull through.