Sugar and processed food good or bad?

Options

Replies

• lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I said you presented a false dichotomy. That means that you presented two options as if one had to choose one or the other when the reality is that there are other options. This is a type of logical fallacy.
    She's a lawyer. She knows damn good and well what a false dichotomy is and how to employ one, and all the other logical fallacies too, I'm sure.

Who is a lawyer? Lindsey1979?
    Am I misremembering? For some reason, I wanted to say she's mentioned degrees in biology, physics, and law. NTTAWWT... I have one in Russian and am working on ones in astronomy, physics, Spanish and Linguistics. Everybody needs a hobby...

Not physics -- not a degree anyway.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I said you presented a false dichotomy. That means that you presented two options as if one had to choose one or the other when the reality is that there are other options. This is a type of logical fallacy.
    She's a lawyer. She knows damn good and well what a false dichotomy is and how to employ one, and all the other logical fallacies too, I'm sure.

Lindsey has said that she has some kind of law background in previous forum posts.

You don't say. That explains the consistent use of arguments that sound convincing but are inconsistent, appeal to emotion, and violate logic.. combined with a general misunderstanding of biology.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Am I misremembering? For some reason, I wanted to say she's mentioned degrees in biology, physics, and law. NTTAWWT... I have one in Russian and am working on ones in astronomy, physics, Spanish and Linguistics. Everybody needs a hobby...

Not physics -- not a degree anyway.

That's vague. Are you a lawyer? What are your degrees in?
  • lindsey1979
    Options

Lindsey has said that she has some kind of law background in previous forum posts.

You don't say. That explains the consistent use of arguments that sound convincing but are inconsistent, appeal to emotion, and violate logic.. combined with a general misunderstanding of biology.

Oh, lordy...my general misunderstanding of biology. Well, I guess UC Berkeley will just have to disagree with you on that one.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Where "good" and "bad" labels may have benefit is for the vast majority of people, who don't log their food, track their calories or track their macros. If you carefully weigh everything and budget for a piece of cheesecake, then I don't see the harm in eating cheesecake. On the other hand, if you take average Joe who does not count calories, goes out to dinner in the evening and is contemplating having a piece of cheesecake for dessert, it may be worth it for Joe to remember cheesecake as a "fattening" food in the sense that it's calorically dense, and to the extent that such a thought makes average Joe reflect on his diet/activity levels for the week before ordering, that's likely a good thing and not as "unhealthy" as some people try to make it out to be. Moreover, I suspect that if you consider the average American and answer the question of "should they have a piece of cheesecake for dessert tonight?" the answer is likely a resounding "no" - and that's what I suspect leads people to call these foods "bad." Of course, if you're talking about someone who's tracking their calories expended and their calories/fat/carbs/protein consumed every day, labels such as "good" and "bad" don't really apply.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

As someone who was raised by two lawyers and went in to the sciences :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I might have just hurt myself.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Oh, lordy...my general misunderstanding of biology. Well, I guess UC Berkeley will just have to disagree with you on that one.

I see, I see. What relevant degrees or employment do you have from UC Berkeley?
  • lindsey1979
    Options

Are you sure you want to know? Because I mentioned it ONCE before and seem to get endless grief from it since -- as evidenced by bringing up in this thread again by other posters...
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    My reading skills are fine. Those types of comments are condescending and completely inconsiderate to people who have had cancer in their own lives or lost someone to cancer. Not to mention they've studied those chemicals already and found no links to cancer.

Speaking as someone that lost someone to cancer, I didn't find it condescending nor inconsiderate. Please don't presume to speak for all of us.

If you can, I can.

When have I ever presumed to speak for a whole group of people? I think I've been pretty careful to use qualifiers like "some" and avoid superlatives as a general rule.

I am more than familiar enough with your comments to be perfectly comfortable disregarding your "qualifiers".
  • jonnythan
    Options

Are you sure you want to know? Because I mentioned it ONCE before and seem to get endless grief from it since -- as evidenced by bringing up in this thread again by other posters...

I'm sure I want to know. If you have some actual expertise in this field, it's highly relevant. And you did mention your education in two separate posts so far. So, yes, I definitely want to know.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I just believe that you'll get to your nutrient intake with less empty calories and unnecessary, potentially harmfully additives opting for "better ingredients" in home cooked meals than with a bunch of highly processed foods -- at least as a general rule.

Now this all came from the MFP Databases...

Delmonte Canned Green Beans
    Calories 20
    Sodium 10
    Potassium 95
    Carbs 4
    Fiber 2
    Sugars 2
    Protein 1

Fresh Green Beans
    Calories 17
    Sodium 4
    Potassium 115
    Carbs 4
    Fiber 2
    Sugar 2
    Protein 1

Honestly, not much difference.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

I'm sure I want to know. If you have some actual expertise in this field, it's highly relevant. And you did mention your education in two separate posts so far. So, yes, I definitely want to know.

JD and bachelors in integrative biology.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You are what you eat.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Congrats, OP, you have successfully stirred this pot yet again.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I just ask because it seems like quite a few people say that there is no good or bad, but then they'll follow up with some comment about good/bad for them, better/worse for weight loss, nutrition, etc.? Or how it's linked to some value judgment?
    I say there is no good or bad.

I follow that up with - there is then making it fit your macro and micronutrient goals.

I get irked when people try and describe food as healthy or unhealthy.

Sure, said cheese cake I described earlier would be 'unhealthy' for an overweight person with insulin issues and so on.

For an underweight person recovery from ED, eating a load of cheesecake might be 'healthy' for their body.

Again; does it meet your aims/goals. Then go for it good/healthy etc for you in this place.
    If it can't fit in, then bad/unhealthy.

Before doing an ultramarathon I did a load of resarch on carb loading.
    I needed to eat over 800g of carbs in one day.
    Avoid foods high in fibre. Avoid fructose.

For most people, that would be considered a very 'unhealthy' day - for me that day, it was an ideal 'healthy' preperation and choosing foods like salads and high fibre vegetables would be a terrible idea.

Cheesecake isn't healthy for an underweight, normal weight, or overweight person. Point period blank. It's extremely fattening and full of sugar.

You are what you eat. Sure, a slice of cheesecake once in a blue moon won't kill you but the more you eat these foods, the more you want them. Continue with this theory of yours that it's okay to eat these foods on the regular as long as they fit your goals, and before you know it, you'll be overweight and diabetic one day.

I've eaten cheesecake almost every night for the past week, just had my latest blood work done all improved and far from diabetic and no longer obese.

What's so wrong with cheesecake it's cream cheese, 1 cup of sugar, typically 2 eggs, and vanilla extract and the crust.

One week worth of cheesecake isn't going to turn you into a diabetic or give you high triglycerides. It happens over many years. Sure, you may be fine now, but that's not to say you'll be fine in 10-15 years.

1/6 of Sara Lee NY style cheesecake: 490 calories, 30 g fat, 48 g carbs, 32 g sugar. A slice of original cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory: 710 calories, 48 g fat, 62 g carbs, 36 g sugar. Full of fat and full of sugar. If you don't see what's wrong with that, I suggest taking a nutrition course. I'd much rather eat an avocado or pistachios that actually have nutritional benefits.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    I just believe that you'll get to your nutrient intake with less empty calories and unnecessary, potentially harmfully additives opting for "better ingredients" in home cooked meals than with a bunch of highly processed foods -- at least as a general rule.

Calories 20
    Sodium 10
    Potassium 95
    Carbs 4
    Fiber 2
    Sugars 2
    Protein 1

Fresh Green Beans
    Calories 17
    Sodium 4
    Potassium 115
    Carbs 4
    Fiber 2
    Sugar 2
    Protein 1

But, do most processed foods contain just the fruit/vegetable, salt and water? I think it is likely a significant outlier.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I've never watched Swamp People. But, you're saying that were you live, you actually recommend that people increase their intake of processed foods, eating at restaurants, frozen meals rather than making better nutritional choices in ingredients for their home cooked meals?

You present a false dichotomy. The point is to get the right nutrients, not choose better ingredients in home cooked meals vs eating more processed foods.

Why not? Why wouldn't you want to choose better ingredients in home cooked meals (for those that already have the time and inclination to cook) rather than supplementing with more processed foods?

What are the these mysterious 'better ingredients' you speak of? If one can hit their nutrient and macro goals eating processed foods, there is nothing 'better' about the ingredients of home cooked meals. Flour is flour, salt is salt, baking soda is baking soda, on and on.

True, but home-cooked meals don't have some of the additives that many processed foods do. For example, how many people do you know that cook with high fructose corn syrup rather than sugar or honey? In my entire life, I've never seen a recipe call for high fructose corn syrup -- even those that call for karo syrup don't use high fructose corn syrup. And, yet you'll see HFCS in a lot of processed foods. It's fairly common.

They use it because it is cheap and sweeter than sucrose, so they don't have to use as much. As far as your body is concerned, it doesn't know the difference between sucrose, fructose (honey, corn syrup, agave nectar) or any other 'ose'. It just breaks it down and uses it however it likes. I won't go into the whole mol bio of the sugars with you, because I know you have seen it before.

Here are some references.

American Dietetic Association. Use of nutritive and nonnutritive sweeteners. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 2004. 104:255-275.

American Medical Association. Report 3 of the Council on Science and Public Health. The health effects of high fructose syrup. July 23, 2009.

American Medical Association. AMA finds high fructose syrup unlikely to be more harmful to health than other calorie sweeteners. American Medical Association Press Release. June 19, 2008.

Forshee RA, Storey ML, Allison DB, Glinsmann WH, Hein GL, Lineback DR, Miller SA, Nicklas TA, Weaver GA, White JS. 2007. A critical examination of the evidence relating high fructose corn syrup and weight gain. Critical Review Food Science Nutrition. 47(6):561-82.

Melanson KJ, Angelopoulos TJ, Nguyen V, Zukley L, Lowndes J, Rippe JM. Dec. 2008. High-fructose corn syrup, energy intake, and appetite regulation. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 88(6):1738S-1744S.

Soenen S, Westerterp-Plantenga MS. Dec. 2007. No differences in satiety or energy intake after high-fructose corn syrup, sucrose, or milk preloads. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 86(6):1586-94.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    To be fair, given the current job market, a J.D. may only qualify someone to speak to the differences between a cortado and a macchiato. :wink:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Calories 20
    Sodium 10
    Potassium 95
    Carbs 4
    Fiber 2
    Sugars 2
    Protein 1

Fresh Green Beans
    Calories 17
    Sodium 4
    Potassium 115
    Carbs 4
    Fiber 2
    Sugar 2
    Protein 1

Are you kidding me?! Canned's got 250% the sodium of the fresh ones! :bigsmile:
This discussion has been closed.