Diet Coke Cake?

Options
jlorren
jlorren Posts: 11 Member
So, I'm sure you have heard of WWs diet coke cake. It sounds very yummy, but is it really healthier than normal cake?
No egg, no oil, not even water added. Just diet coke and cake mix.
Obviously this is a snack that should be eaten in small amounts anyway.

What do you think? Have you tried it? Is it really better than normal cake (calorie wise)?

Replies

• ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I've never head of this as a WW thing, but my Mom's had a chocolate cola cake recipe in her cook book for years. I guess it is a bit lower on calories, but not too much. Figuring 3 eggs at 70 calories each, maybe a quarter cup of milk, and a tablespoon or two of oil, that only takes 300- 500 calories off the whole cake, so when you split it up into portions, its probably only 50-75 fewer calories per serving.

It is really good though.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I have made this in cupcake form and cake form. Both are very yummy! And definitely lower in calories. Try Sprite Zero with cakes like lemon or strawberry. Diet Coke works with chocolate cakes.
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Never heard of this! Sounds VERY interesting, can you please post recipe and nutriion info? THANK YOU!!!
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    It's super easy. You just take one box of cake mix and add one can of diet soda. Mix and pour into a greased pan. Bake as directed. I usually use fat free Cool Whip for the frosting. The calories are vary between 90 and 188 for each serving depending on whether you make cupcakes or a cake and whether you use Cool Whip for frosting or not. I was very skeptical about making it but it really works.
  • Claudia007
    Options
    It's super easy. You just take one box of cake mix and add one can of diet soda. Mix and pour into a greased pan. Bake as directed. I usually use fat free Cool Whip for the frosting. The calories are vary between 90 and 188 for each serving depending on whether you make cupcakes or a cake and whether you use Cool Whip for frosting or not. I was very skeptical about making it but it really works.

THANK YOU! sounds similar to the pineapple angel food cake. To one box angel food cake mix you add 1 can crushed pineapple then bake as directed. I also used fat-free cool whip as frosting. Turned out yummy! Thank you, I have to try this soon :happy:
  • jlorren
    jlorren Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Great!! Thank you!
  • nikki91950
    Options
    i'd definitely love to try this!
  • eharvey
    eharvey Posts: 32
    Options
    Red Velvet cake using Diet Dr. Pepper. been there done that ooooooyaaaaaaaaa :smile:
  • raymondasare
    Options
    why not just avoid cake overall
  • mistiegayle
    mistiegayle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump!!
  • ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    Options
    So, I'm sure you have heard of WWs diet coke cake. It sounds very yummy, but is it really healthier than normal cake?
    No egg, no oil, not even water added. Just diet coke and cake mix.
    Obviously this is a snack that should be eaten in small amounts anyway.

What do you think? Have you tried it? Is it really better than normal cake (calorie wise)?

I've heard it's delicious! Another great recipe to try:

Chocolate cake mix (I like devil's food the best) and one small can of pumpkin puree. Mix and bake.

The pumpkin gives added fiber, and it's DELICIOUS. To be honest, I'm not even a big fan of pumpkin, but my oh my... so good. :) And gives me a lower-cal chocolate fix!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    why not just avoid cake overall

Because some people like to have treats. :smile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/55171-diet-soda-cake?hl=diet+soda+cake
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    White cake mix + diet sunkist
    Lemon cake mix + diet sundrop (or for those not in the south, diet Mt. Dew)
    Chocolate cake mix + diet cheerwine (or for those not in the south, diet Dr Pepper)

These are the 3 I've made & loved! :love:
    I've heard that diet coke/pepsi doesn't do as well, but haven't tried one of them myself.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Ack, that is a total chemistry experiment.

You are eating nothing but processed chemicals in the soda, more processing and chemicals in the cake mix and then Cool Whip has the same ingredients as condom lube (even more chemicals)

Yeah, that sounds really appetitzing and healthy.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    Grokette - so you're going to go your entire life without eating another processed food?? lol it's a treat once in a while, nobody said that this was going to be what we ate all day every day. :tongue:
  • Grokette
    Options
    Grokette - so you're going to go your entire life without eating another processed food?? lol it's a treat once in a while, nobody said that this was going to be what we ate all day every day. :tongue:

I intend to keep the processed foods to a very bare minimum.........

I have always baked from scratch and have switched all of my cooking from scratch also.................

I don't want those chemical in my body and the sound of it (knowing what is in those ingredients) turns my stomach. It doesn't even sound appetizing.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

You are eating nothing but processed chemicals in the soda, more processing and chemicals in the cake mix and then Cool Whip has the same ingredients as condom lube (even more chemicals)

Your post comes off as very judgmental. Maybe it's not realistic for someone to eat completely perfectly at every single meal. Perfection is not realistic for me.
  • Claudia007
    Options
    Red Velvet cake using Diet Dr. Pepper. been there done that ooooooyaaaaaaaaa :smile:

OMG are you serious?!? THAT is great, I NEED to try this ASAP! Hmmm... maybe with Diet Dr. Pepper Cherry?!?! :bigsmile:
  • Grokette
    Options

Your post comes off as very judgmental. Maybe it's not realistic for someone to eat completely perfectly at every single meal. Perfection is not realistic for me.

I am not coming off as judgemental to point out all the chemicals that one will ingest by eating a chemical concoction.

That is why Americans will never be healthy. They think as long as it is lower calorie that it is healthier, well its not.

I would much rather have a slice of cake that has been made with organic raw sugar, milk, eggs, pure vanilla, almond flour or coconut flour, unsweetened organic cocoa, etc..............

Than to eat a boxed mix (that has tons of sugar and chemicals) and diet soda........

As a person that is getting ready to certify in the Nutritional Field as a registered Dietician and focusing on Organic and Naturopathic ways, I will never endorse boxed foods. Sorry, it goes against everything I stand for.
  • bookgurl3
    Options
    Thank you for your explanation and alternative .....also your memory verse....it is very helpful. I like!!!!!