Diet Coke Cake?

Options

Replies

• patsaffo
    Options
    Actually, no, I would not rather have a cake made with "real" sugar, butter, etc. Different things work for different people. Personally, I think if one takes themselves too seriously all of the time, they will eventually implode.

And you sound like you are on a mission to convert everyone to your way of thinking. No thanks.
  • mskimberlee
    mskimberlee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sk4399
    sk4399 Posts: 96
    Options
    Hello,
    I have Celiac Disease and have to eat Gluten Free, so I am making this using Pamela's Classic Vanilla Cake mix and it is pretty high in calories, BUT even with the high calorie mix and using 2 egg whites it is still only 183 for the cake! Top that with cool whip and it's still under 200 calories!

Katy
  • sk4399
    sk4399 Posts: 96
    Options
    Hello,
    I have Celiac Disease and have to eat Gluten Free, so I am making this using Pamela's Classic Vanilla Cake mix and it is pretty high in calories, BUT even with the high calorie mix and using 2 egg whites it is still only 183 for the cake! Top that with cool whip and it's still under 200 calories!

Katy

Never mind, it was TERRIBLE! YUCK :D
  • asherid
    Options
    bump
  • ammp
    ammp Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I made two kinds of this cake - the first was dark chocolate cake mix and diet cherry pepsi. That went over really well topped with lite cool whip. The second was vanilla cake mix and diet orange soda.
    IMG_20101219_095747.jpg
    I had to use Crush, which isn't my favorite type of orange soda - but it was at the grocery store so I went with it.
    IMG_20101219_100520-1.jpg
    Bottle was 20 oz, I only needed 12 oz and the scale was easier than doing math ;) Btw, 12 oz of soda is 1.5 cups.
    IMG_20101219_120940.jpg
    Mixed up with the dry cake mix, baked as directed on the box. Cooled and cut into 12 pieces (as the nutritional info on the box was for 1/12 of the cake). Add a dollop of cool whip (I like the lite generic kind, its 20 cal per TB). Done!
  • ammp
    Options
    Oh - nutrional points of my above cake. 1/12 of dry mix is 170 cal, 1 oz orange soda is 2 cal, 1 TB of lite cool whip 20 cal = 191 cal per piece of cake with topping.

It will vary with the type of cake you use, and the type of soda and if there is topping of any kind.

1 oz of soda is because I used 12 oz and cut the cooked cake into 12 pieces, therefor each person gets roughly 1 oz of soda. I had to write it out to prove it to the hubby :huh:

BTW - tastes great!
  • Bitwoods
    Options
    do you use icing?
  • ammp
    Options
    do you use icing?

No, I use cool whip but you can spread it around like icing. You could easily use icing or glaze, but watch the calories it adds :)
  • YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    You work at Anheuser Busch? Don't they make CHEMICAL drinks there? Do I smell hypocrisy?
    Anyway, Grokette, good for you, that you work a part-time and full-time job, and run a household with three dogs and a husband, and can still find the time to make all your materials from scratch.
    I am a single mom to a 5-year-old, I also have my own part-time business, as well as work full-time and part-time jobs, and I run a household of us and our two cats and one hamster. I also have two bachelors and one masters degree, so I don't think I am stupid, and I worked thoughout earning all my degrees, so I can manage time all right. I know I don't have the inclination to make everything I need, nor do I believe, despite what you say, that it is oh so easy and oh so affordable. I also believe that all of us, myself included, can make the time for what we need to make the time for. I would just rather make time for things like spending quality time with my daughter, or making art, or reading a good book. We can't all be so perfect as you.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Don't use the Zero products - made a yellow cake with Fanta Orange Zero - it was like PEPPER....weird.
    I think it was the Zero regular diet doesn't do that.

Will try again with a diet orange not the zero cuz it smelled like a creamsicle.
  • qtwells82
    qtwells82 Posts: 352
    Options

I would much rather have a slice of cake that has been made with organic raw sugar, milk, eggs, pure vanilla, almond flour or coconut flour, unsweetened organic cocoa, etc..............

Than to eat a boxed mix (that has tons of sugar and chemicals) and diet soda........

And I would love to have that too. However, those aren't ingredients I happen to have laying around (meaning organic raw sugar, pure vanilla, almond flour, organic cocoa). What I do happen to have is a can of diet soda and a box of mix. Yes, it comes down to making healthier shopping choices, but you know what? Sometimes I just don't care. :laugh: I'm not perfect, I don't strive to be perfect. I can totally understand where you're coming from. It's not the healthiest choice, I know that. I've lost almost 60 lbs, so I can't be doing too terribly. Maybe someday I'll be perfect and eat all organic and turn up my nose at what others eat. But until then, I'm going to enjoy my chemical cake. :drinker:

Nicely said

Its sad that people have to criticize other peoples decisions. I thought we were all adults here...
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    White cake mix
    10oz Diet Sprite
    1 can drained crushed pineapple

After it was done baking I stabbed it about a million times with a fork, then poured the pineapple juice over the 'bottom' of the cake.
    After it cooled I flipped it over and iced the top with whipped cream - only half a tub of cool whip.

I made it yesterday for DH's birthday. Usually we have like half a cake leftover after peoples birthdays...well there is none left. The dish was pretty much licked clean. lol it was not pretty to serve bc it was so moist it fell apart a little but OMG was it tasty!! :love:
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    The best part of my dt dr pepper, choco cake I made this weekend...Was being able to eat the batter :P...I'm a weirdo, but I didn't have to worry about the possibility of food poisoning :)
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    It's awesome! I have a recipe for it on sparkrecipes http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1142640

I like it best with fresca.

Fresca and lemon cake mix make awesome muffins too!:smile:
  • mrogus
    mrogus Posts: 94
    Options
    I have made the diet coke and chocolate cake which was good. The can of pumpkin and devils food cake mix was better!

I am going to try the angel food cake with a can of crushed pineapple this week and I just read about taking a box of spice cake and adding a can of pumpkin to that. Its supposed to taste like pumpkin bread :) Yum!!!
  • Purplegal
    Purplegal Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Katy

Never mind, it was TERRIBLE! YUCK :D

Oh bummer! I'm Celiac as well and I was getting excited to try it with my Betty Crocker gluten free mix...hmmm wonder if I should bother...
  • staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    sounds tasty i really fancy baking today ( love baking hense my weight gain ) but i'm in two minds cos i might just be setting myself up for failure only 10 days in and don't wanna be putting temptation food in my way so soon :-(
  • MsMonny
    MsMonny Posts: 183
    Options
    I don't eat sugar at all...is there in Australia a non-sugar packet of cake mix??

I can see where the other lady is coming from but I think her personality is one that feels the need to tell everyone exactly what she thinks. She probably sees no wrong in what she is doing and actually probably feels she is the 'right' one on this thread and that everyone else is delusional. There are many people out there who just HAVE TO help others whether those others have asked for help or not. It is probably turning her stomach to see people going mad with delight over this food, and yes, everyone has their own opinions but give her a little credit in trying to help people see that what they are choosing isn't exactly the best way (even if she did go about it a little too harshly according to many people).

I try to keep 'clean' with my foods and keep away from packet foods (mainly because I detest in making big companies richer who don't give a rats **** about us little people) but every now and then it doesn't hurt.

As many people have said, they aren't eating this ALL the time, just occassionally.

:flowerforyou:

(I am actually scared to post this LOL)
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    You can also use just seltzer water.