Rachael, can we make this together when we study on the weekend? :D
  • RachM
    RachM Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Rachael, can we make this together when we study on the weekend? :D
    I just bought the stuff! lol
  • Pixie90
    Options
    wow, im gona try this! sounds interesting. im willing to try anything that will help shift these pounds haha! :)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    wow, im gona try this! sounds interesting. im willing to try anything that will help shift these pounds haha! :)

The thing is - a boxed cake that is filled with sugar and other chemicals and diet coke is not going to help you shift any pounds.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I have seen Groketee post on a few diet coke cake threads. I have come to the conclusion she rrreally wants to try it. Can't be green all the time.
  • kksn
    kksn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Grokette: Look, not to disagree that diet soda cake probably isn't the greatest nutritional endeavor, but I would expect someone who is of your educational background to know a little better than to make the ridiculous mistake that you have... ALL foods, even organic raw foods, contain chemicals - remember the periodic table of elements? Hell, WATER is a chemical. Should we avoid that? Really, your rant on how boxed foods contain chemicals and we shouldn't put those in our body is completely misleading and fuels the general ignorance of science in our society. I am preparing to defend my doctoral thesis in pharmacology and have a B.S. in biomedical science and chemistry - I know my material, and I hate it when people spout how "chemicals" are bad and "natural" is good. Go ahead and argue that the cake is bad for you nutritionally, but if you are going to talk chemistry, get your definitions, and your facts, correct.
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Red Velvet cake using Diet Dr. Pepper. been there done that ooooooyaaaaaaaaa :smile:

I made these this weekend!!! I took 1 package devil's food cake mix, 12oz Diet Dr Pepper, and one bottle of red food coloring.(couldn't find the pre-packaged red velvet mix). I topped with a whipped buttercream frosting for a total of 146 calories per cupcake (made 18 cupcakes!)

SOOOO GOOOOOD!
  • kksn
    Options
    Red Velvet cake using Diet Dr. Pepper. been there done that ooooooyaaaaaaaaa :smile:

I made these this weekend!!! I took 1 package devil's food cake mix, 12oz Diet Dr Pepper, and one bottle of red food coloring.(couldn't find the pre-packaged red velvet mix). I topped with a whipped buttercream frosting for a total of 146 calories per cupcake (made 18 cupcakes!)

SOOOO GOOOOOD!

Mmmm! That sounds great! I'm going to have to try that tonight :) Thanks for the recipe kpopa!
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options

SOOOO GOOOOOD!
    I hate red velvet....but this sounds SO good lol
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    I have seen Groketee post on a few diet coke cake threads. I have come to the conclusion she rrreally wants to try it. Can't be green all the time.
    :laugh: :laugh:
  • YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Grokette, I agree with you about the from scratch cake being more healthy, but in terms of just cost, buying all those ingredients, especially those that are organic and cost WAY more, baking your cake would cost at least 75% more than the box and soda version.
    I agree too, that it is a lo-cal treat that isn't comprimising our entire diet. Our bodies are also incredibly resilient and taking in the odd chemical won't kill us. I think most of us here are trying our best to eat more fruit, veggies, and whole grain, so the odd chemical isn't the worst. In fact, it is almost impossible, in our modern world, to eat chemically-free is near impossible. WE are all just trying our best with what we have, I believe. And not all of us can AFFORD to eat the way you describe. I know I can't.
    And you are sounding somewhat judgemental and preachy, whether you realise it or not.
    Just my 2 cents worth, for anyone who cares (and if not, that is OK too)
  • Grokette
    Options
    Grokette: Look, not to disagree that diet soda cake probably isn't the greatest nutritional endeavor, but I would expect someone who is of your educational background to know a little better than to make the ridiculous mistake that you have... ALL foods, even organic raw foods, contain chemicals - remember the periodic table of elements? Hell, WATER is a chemical. Should we avoid that? Really, your rant on how boxed foods contain chemicals and we shouldn't put those in our body is completely misleading and fuels the general ignorance of science in our society. I am preparing to defend my doctoral thesis in pharmacology and have a B.S. in biomedical science and chemistry - I know my material, and I hate it when people spout how "chemicals" are bad and "natural" is good. Go ahead and argue that the cake is bad for you nutritionally, but if you are going to talk chemistry, get your definitions, and your facts, correct.

There is a huge difference in the chemical make up of a boxed cake mix and fruit, veggies and grass fed meats. We all know there is a huge difference between man made chemicals that the body does NOT recognize as food and natural, unprocessed REAL food.

Someone with a background in bio-medical science and chemistry should know that already though. Again there is a difference between natural occurring and synthetic = food like substances, aka boxed cake mix and diet soda.

You choose to do what you want to do, but I am going to keep spreading the word about how BAD this stuff is for us.
  • Grokette
    Options
    Grokette, I agree with you about the from scratch cake being more healthy, but in terms of just cost, buying all those ingredients, especially those that are organic and cost WAY more, baking your cake would cost at least 75% more than the box and soda version.
    I agree too, that it is a lo-cal treat that isn't comprimising our entire diet. Our bodies are also incredibly resilient and taking in the odd chemical won't kill us. I think most of us here are trying our best to eat more fruit, veggies, and whole grain, so the odd chemical isn't the worst. In fact, it is almost impossible, in our modern world, to eat chemically-free is near impossible. WE are all just trying our best with what we have, I believe. And not all of us can AFFORD to eat the way you describe. I know I can't.
    And you are sounding somewhat judgemental and preachy, whether you realise it or not.

In actuality, it doesn't cost more use raw, unrefined REAL foods. My husband and I see a huge difference in our food costs and we actually are saving money by changing the way we eat.

If there is a will, there is a way. My local Co-op gives classes to show you how to shop so you can eat, natural, unrefined foods and adhere to a budget.

I also make my own laundry detergent, household cleaners and my sister makes me shampoo and soap, so we swap household and hygiene items.

We use a coconut based cleaner for our dogs crates and I use the same shampoo on them as I use on myself.

It is actually more cost effective to make your own stuff than it is to buy it and it doesn't take that much time.

If I can go to school, work with my part time business, work full time at Anheuser Busch, run my household, take care of 3 dogs, my husband, work out and find time to cook - then anyone can fit these things into their schedule.
  • Grokette
    Options
    I will continue to spread the word of Good health over counting calories to lose weight.

Good health is PRICELESS.

I know I am doing what I am supposed to be doing in life. I have gotten a couple of emails from other MFP members that Thanked me for putting this out here and how them cleaning up their eating plan has improved other health ailments and aches and pains in the body.
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    People use MFP for motivation and good ideas to help them lose weight and be healthy. Everyone is at a different place in their journey. Not everyone agrees with the extreme view of only eating whole, organic, nonprocessed foods. Not everyone has the knowledge to eat that way nor, in most cases I'd guess, the desire.

I've learned a lot from the MFP forums. My eating habits have drastically changed because knowledgeable people submitted their ideas and points of view. However, when threads like this get so out of hand with the back and forth disagreements that have nothing to do with the original post (okay, it was about diet Coke, but this is a recipe thread), the forums are less helpful to everyone. If someone is wondering about the health benefits of drinking diet soda and asks about it, it is totally appropriate to share your thoughts. Then those of us who don't want to get into those arguments can stay away from those threads.

When I first started trying to lose weight, I read a couple threads like this one and got totally discouraged. I thought, "I can't possibly eat perfectly like that person." Fortunately, there were other threads that did not promote such an extreme view and helped me realize I don't have to be "perfect." I wouldn't have lost 35 pounds and become so much healthier if it weren't for them. I may someday agree with the extreme view, but I'm not there yet...and this thread makes me want to run the other way!
  • kpopa
    Options

SOOOO GOOOOOD!

Mmmm! That sounds great! I'm going to have to try that tonight :) Thanks for the recipe kpopa!

No Problem!!! :flowerforyou:
  • kpopa
    Options
    People use MFP for motivation and good ideas to help them lose weight and be healthy. Everyone is at a different place in their journey. Not everyone agrees with the extreme view of only eating whole, organic, nonprocessed foods. Not everyone has the knowledge to eat that way nor, in most cases I'd guess, the desire.

I've learned a lot from the MFP forums. My eating habits have drastically changed because knowledgeable people submitted their ideas and points of view. However, when threads like this get so out of hand with the back and forth disagreements that have nothing to do with the original post (okay, it was about diet Coke, but this is a recipe thread), the forums are less helpful to everyone. If someone is wondering about the health benefits of drinking diet soda and asks about it, it is totally appropriate to share your thoughts. Then those of us who don't want to get into those arguments can stay away from those threads.

When I first started trying to lose weight, I read a couple threads like this one and got totally discouraged. I thought, "I can't possibly eat perfectly like that person." Fortunately, there were other threads that did not promote such an extreme view and helped me realize I don't have to be "perfect." I wouldn't have lost 35 pounds and become so much healthier if it weren't for them. I may someday agree with the extreme view, but I'm not there yet...and this thread makes me want to run the other way!

Bravo!!! Good Thoughts! Thanks for sharing!

I, too, find it so discouraging that some people on here can get so negative!!! Grokette...take my advice...send a friend request to "heathersmilez" and the two of you can start a "bash other MFP members" thread...give the rest of us "hard-working, awesome, supportive, life-changers, doing-our-best, can't be perfect, friendly" MFPers a break!
  • kksn
    Options

BUMP! :) Way to say it - perfect! :) Thanks for saying what we were all thinking and feeling.
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    OH MY! I can not believe as preachy and judgmental as you are that you would work somewhere that makes "bad" things to go into our bodies!!!!!! If you are so into 'educating' and trying to change people's lifestyles then why would you work for someplace that does not follow your doctrine?!

I have done a pound cake mix with waist watcher diet vanilla cream soda and it is awesome! Think I may try it with orange or lemon also.

In actuality, it doesn't cost more use raw, unrefined REAL foods. My husband and I see a huge difference in our food costs and we actually are saving money by changing the way we eat.

If there is a will, there is a way. My local Co-op gives classes to show you how to shop so you can eat, natural, unrefined foods and adhere to a budget.

I also make my own laundry detergent, household cleaners and my sister makes me shampoo and soap, so we swap household and hygiene items.

We use a coconut based cleaner for our dogs crates and I use the same shampoo on them as I use on myself.

It is actually more cost effective to make your own stuff than it is to buy it and it doesn't take that much time.

If I can go to school, work with my part time business, work full time at Anheuser Busch, run my household, take care of 3 dogs, my husband, work out and find time to cook - then anyone can fit these things into their schedule.
  • Grokette
    Options
    OH MY! I can not believe as preachy and judgmental as you are that you would work somewhere that makes "bad" things to go into our bodies!!!!!! If you are so into 'educating' and trying to change people's lifestyles then why would you work for someplace that does not follow your doctrine?!

I have done a pound cake mix with waist watcher diet vanilla cream soda and it is awesome! Think I may try it with orange or lemon also.

Well, until I can get my business off the ground, I have to work and Anheuser Bucsh pays very, very well. And if you are gluten and grain tolerant, beer is not really bad for you.

I even partake in gluten free beer (Redbridge) from time to time.