Stop demeaning female bodybuilders

Options
12346»

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    How about people just have sufficient self esteem so that when people say mean things it doesnt matter anyways.
    Indeed.
    Far too much time and effort seems to go in to stopping people being "offensive", when to my mind, it would be much better to teach people to live their lives without being "offended" :).
    I agree that people should just be confident in themselves and most bodybuilders are. It's hard to shame a fit person. I think it's also completely unnecessary to be an *kitten* and make rude comments. To parrot your words, it would be much better to teach people to just stopped being rude for no reason.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    How about people just have sufficient self esteem so that when people say mean things it doesnt matter anyways.
    Indeed.
    Far too much time and effort seems to go in to stopping people being "offensive", when to my mind, it would be much better to teach people to live their lives without being "offended" :).
    I agree that people should just be confident in themselves and most bodybuilders are. It's hard to shame a fit person. I think it's also completely unnecessary to be an *kitten* and make rude comments. To parrot your words, it would be much better to teach people to just stopped being rude for no reason.

Yep
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    To parrot your words, it would be much better to teach people to just stopped being rude for no reason.
    The problem comes when I come along and say "oh, I feel offended by what you've just said in your conversation" regardless of who you were talking to or how it was intended.

While people need to remember that "the internet" is a public place, others also need to remember that as with other public places, they may 'over hear' people's opinions that they dislike.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    People should try not to be offended or whatever else they think or feel. But, people think and feel things, so they should be able to do whatever they need to do to manage it for themselves. None of your business. Move along if it offends you when you see them having a conversation about an article about female body builders for example and saying "my opinion is that I don't enjoy seeing people insult body builders". Instead of engaging with them about how they are wrong to think that and should watch insults without having opinions. Because an opinion apparently means offended.

If someone chooses to be rude or an *kitten* or whatever then try not to be offended by others responses or thoughts on it or try not to always engage everyone in annoying conversations over it. If you choose to be an *kitten*, don't be so offended by other people saying so.

Or just do whatever. Be annoying. Get in annoying conversations. Who the hell cares what other people think or feel (those things are usually temporary anyway). Why is everyone on an annoying mfp mission to control and change and teach everyone else to think and feel in ways they find acceptable. It's not offensive. It is dull, tedious, and annoying.

I'm sure some internet yoda will feel the need to teach me something about thoughts, emotions, internet.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    To parrot your words, it would be much better to teach people to just stopped being rude for no reason.
    The problem comes when I come along and say "oh, I feel offended by what you've just said in your conversation" regardless of who you were talking to or how it was intended.

While people need to remember that "the internet" is a public place, others also need to remember that as with other public places, they may 'over hear' people's opinions that they dislike.
    I agree that people should just shrug off most things especially if it isn't aimed at them. I also think people should just not be *kitten*. We shouldn't tell kids to stop having opinions. We also shouldn't have to tell kids to always suck it up. It's a balanced approach in not "blaming the victim" and teaching others to have a bit of respect for people. People need to learn to have confidence and people need to stop being jerks.

Granted, if someone is listening in on a private conversation and gets offended it is their fault. Going back to what the original link posted was about these people are going out of their way to make rude comments. We have lots of examples here on our site of this. It isn't limited to bodybuilders. Skinnyfat, annorexic, obese (especially when the bb.com trolls take over).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1200416-why-do-so-many-female-body-builders-get-fake-boobs
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Be respectful.

You can think what you will, but be respectful.

Be kind.

You can have your own opinions but remember that it isn't just about you, there is someone on the receiving end of those comments who deserves as much kindness as you do.

I always tell our DS: It isn't who they are or what they do...it is what kind of person you want to be. How you chose to act is who you become.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Be respectful.

You can think what you will, but be respectful.

Be kind.

You can have your own opinions but remember that it isn't just about you, there is someone on the receiving end of those comments who deserves as much kindness as you do.

I always tell our DS: It isn't who they are or what they do...it is what kind of person you want to be. How you chose to act is who you become.

Nice post. :)
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    People should just mind their own business.

We are all different. That's what makes us great.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    We have lots of examples here on our site of this. It isn't limited to bodybuilders. Skinnyfat, annorexic, obese (especially when the bb.com trolls take over).

I want to add some clarification to this part of my post. I am not calling someone skinnyfat. I am saying that on this site many people use the term skinnyfat in a negative way to describe others and demean the way they look. Please stop sending private messages calling me a horrible person for saying someone is skinnyfat.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    We have lots of examples here on our site of this. It isn't limited to bodybuilders. Skinnyfat, annorexic, obese (especially when the bb.com trolls take over).

I want to add some clarification to this part of my post. I am not calling someone skinnyfat. I am saying that on this site many people use the term skinnyfat in a negative way to describe others and demean the way they look. Please stop sending private messages calling me a horrible person for saying someone is skinnyfat.
    Wow. I read it as you intended without clarification.

There seem to be a lot of people around here who don't know how to read ...
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I like your posts usmcmp. Sorry to hear people are sending you pm's like that.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Maybe I should have used as many derogatory names as I could remember from this site?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

seriously?

there was nothing that needed clarification.

random anonymous person- go home. you're wrong- 100% wrong.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

seriously?

Looking at this thread I think I know who sent it. This person often misunderstands things like that in the forums, as I have seen before. Say the word skinny and she thinks you are judging and jealous.
  • usmcmp
    Options

seriously?

Looking at this thread I think I know who sent it. This person often misunderstands things like that in the forums, as I have seen before. Say the word skinny and she thinks you are judging and jealous.

No. The two people that sent messages are in this thread, but it isn't the person you are thinking of.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

seriously?

No. The two people that sent messages are in this thread, but it isn't the person you are thinking of.

Oh wow!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    doesnt' matter- still lame- she had nothing but good logical positive things to say.

no need for hate mail- that is just so over the top.

haters gonna hate though.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I'm not exceptionally attracted to red heads.

Awwwwww Jo. :cry: I thought we had a chance..