Replies

• Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    hahhaha
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    there is that misconception. But it's because it comes across that way. When I first started here and was trying to clean up my diet I asked a question about how to get rid of the craving and eat better and was bombarded with people saying if it fits eat it, you don't need to cut anything out. No real explanation as to why or what they were talking about. All I wanted to do, was eat less crap and more healthy food and eat more overall while doing so. I said I do not want to eat that junk anymore and was asked what exactly is bad in it for me and why and whats the scientific proof of that. So now i just ignore all that. I know my body and what it needs and what I consider junk (which may not be what you do and that's fine) is not what i want to eat. I'm sure the flip side is true.

And to brosciecne. It was a tongue in cheek comment.

Clean eating isn't a diet either. It's just eating. I'm not watching a 30m long video.

That's a shame. You'd probably learn a thing or two about nutrition and IIFYM from one of the tops.

In short, your understanding of where the term comes from is wrong.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    maybe they prefer learning from bottoms rather than tops?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    there is that misconception. But it's because it comes across that way. When I first started here and was trying to clean up my diet I asked a question about how to get rid of the craving and eat better and was bombarded with people saying if it fits eat it, you don't need to cut anything out. No real explanation as to why or what they were talking about. All I wanted to do, was eat less crap and more healthy food and eat more overall while doing so. I said I do not want to eat that junk anymore and was asked what exactly is bad in it for me and why and whats the scientific proof of that. So now i just ignore all that. I know my body and what it needs and what I consider junk (which may not be what you do and that's fine) is not what i want to eat. I'm sure the flip side is true.

Clean eating isn't a diet either. It's just eating. I'm not watching a 30m long video.

I don't know how any of that can be misconstrued as IIFYM = nothing but junk food.

To me it just sounds like people were trying to liberate you from thinking any food is bad. And speaking of that, this is the internet. Nobody here knows how anyone's body functions on a personal level. I don't drink fruit juice because the sugar by volume hits me like a shot of whiskey, but I'm not touting that anyone else should not drink fruit juice because of how it affects MY body.

When you give advice on here, you give advice based on your body, not the person you're advising.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

I don't know how any of that can be misconstrued as IIFYM = nothing but junk food.

To me it just sounds like people were trying to liberate you from thinking any food is bad. And speaking of that, this is the internet. Nobody here knows how anyone's body functions on a personal level. I don't drink fruit juice because the sugar by volume hits me like a shot of whiskey, but I'm not touting that anyone else should not drink fruit juice because of how it affects MY body.

When you give advice on here, you give advice based on your body, not the person you're advising.

Because it comes across that way. Period. No other reason. I give advice based on what i know works for me. I don't tell people not to eat shrimp because I can't eat it. I will tell people to cut back on fruit juice because it's basically water and sugar. That person can take it or leave it. I no longer defend my choices. I see some peoples diary's and cringe, but if it works for them. Great.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options

What side are you on exactly? I mean, don't you regularly eat Chinese food and other things and say it was because your son had it in the house. Don't you also like beer regularly, on the weekends.

Nope. I don't.
    and i'm on my side.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Because it comes across that way. Period. No other reason. I give advice based on what i know works for me. I don't tell people not to eat shrimp because I can't eat it. I will tell people to cut back on fruit juice because it's basically water and sugar. That person can take it or leave it. I no longer defend my choices. I see some peoples diary's and cringe, but if it works for them. Great.

I think your issue isn't that yoibdont like certain foods... It's that you still see certain foods as inherently bad.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    there are no fattening foods, only fattening behavoir
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options

I think your issue isn't that yoibdont like certain foods... It's that you still see certain foods as inherently bad.

My issues are mine and there are reasons I don't eat or severely limit food that others think are fine. it's my body and my choices. Just like yours is. I don't have to agree with your assessments of foods, nor you mine.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    The point is.. "IIFYM" says "eat what you want in moderation and if you want a candy bar eat it" "clean" eater says "I don't want to eat the candy bar even though I'm craving it for whatever reason" - Commence ridiculousness from both "sides". And you can pull up just about any thread about clean eating and see it devolve into a bunch of people ripping apart clean eating.

If no one cares, then why the need to tear down someones diet? yea.. eat what I want in moderation.. well I *don't* want to eat the candy bar regardless of cravings, even if it fits. So what is the problem then??

I think that if someone says I don't want to eat a candy bar because [some broscience reason]" then the broscience will be called out. If they simply say "I don't want a candy bar", then that's fine. If they are all "candy bars are the devil!!!111!!!", well, then it's open season :devil:

I don't eat lots of things, as I don't like them, they aren't appetizing to me etc. Personally, I rarely eat candy (I did have a few cream eggs over Easter) because of my blood sugar.
    Hmm, thinking farther into this..... Technically Clean Eaters follows IIFYM.. we just don't eat food we don't want to eat for whatever reason we see fit to not want to eat them Which is basically the same idea of eat what you want in moderation if it fits right??? Because IIFYM people do not eat what they do not want to eat for whatever reason they see fit to not want to eat them.

Ahhh.. look.. same diet comprised of different foods.. can there be MFP peace now??

:flowerforyou:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Well, sorry you feel that way then. :ohwell:

The way you give advice is why people question it and isolate you on threads.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options

What side are you on exactly? I mean, don't you regularly eat Chinese food and other things and say it was because your son had it in the house. Don't you also like beer regularly, on the weekends.

Nope. I don't.
    and i'm on my side.

Wait you're saying you don't eat that stuff and have not admitted many times that you drink beer and don't bother logging it? Is that what you are going with?

You need to catch up on your stalking of me

ETA: and no I am not claiming I never drink/eat it, but if I do it's logged. I definitely don't do it regularly.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Nope. I don't.
    and i'm on my side.

Wait you're saying you don't eat that stuff and have not admitted many times that you drink beer and don't bother logging it? Is that what you are going with?

ETA: and no I am not claiming I never drink/eat it, but if I do it's logged. I definitely don't do it regularly.

Which definition of regularly are we going with??
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    haha.. yea something from a year and a half ago that' I've changed about myself.. and i didn't say i don't drink ever. I said i don't do it regularly and if I do want chocolate I do eat it. so? usually 85% or higher because that's what I like.

People change right??

I remember you now btw.. look at me.. weight is still off and more then what was then. Despite your prediction of the opposite happening. Go me!

But eh.. whatever.. I'm done with you now. :flowerforyou:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Nope. I don't.
    and i'm on my side.

Not stalking. I've just always been fascinated by your level of hypocrisy.

Be careful, the internet saves everything.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1246321-need-a-good-substitute-for-beer?page=4

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/863174-drinking-and-diet?page=3&show=search

http://sync.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1103376-stop-counting-calories-eat-clean?page=8
    I cook everyday. I drink beer. I eat protein bars. I'll go out to eat occasionally.I'll even have a cookie or two sometimes or cake. I'm not a "clean eating nazi" and I don't care if you eat a different way. I like my diet. It works for me. I'm glad yours works for you. I have a super hard time eating to my goal everyday. Tonight i didn't eat everything i planned to, so i'm short. I can't possibly eat another bite. My dinner plate was overflowing full. I even had chocolate dipped in peanut butter. still under. (because i don't eat enough healthy fats *sigh*) If I knew i'd eat enough everyday. i'd quit logging. But anytime I do that, I under-eat. So I can't. The only macros I have a hard time hitting is fat. I got my macros today and am still 300.+ calories under. So you can easily over eat I can easily under eat. Different people. Different struggles. Just because it is one way for you, does not mean it is that way for everyone.

http://api.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/853448-cheat-days
    lol. I log everything but beer. 

So? 

I want chocoalate I eat a piece. 

Whatever i'm doing seems to be working. 
    lol lost more then you eh? and in a shorter time I'd bet.. lol 

Also. you can't "diary shame" me. lol 

I quite content with what I eat. 

yep. I went to chilis on sunday.. *gasp* i'm gonna die. lol 

Feel free to look at my diary. you might get some good ideas from it.

boom!!

shotsfired_zps37fb2e88.gif
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options

Well, sorry you feel that way then. :ohwell:

The way you give advice is why people question it and isolate you on threads.

Yea, that's probably true. I'm not always so great at presentation of my thoughts. but i'm ok with that. :bigsmile:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I've never had them, but from the ingredients, I wouldn't consider them "clean."

The only bar I can think of off the top of my head that could be considered clean would be Lara bars (in their original form.) I'm sure there are those who would not eat them because they are packaged foods, but if you consider any packaged foods clean, Lara bars would be it. (Fruit, nuts.)
This discussion has been closed.