Are Quest Bars clean?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    they have more than five ingredients, right? So dirty...very dirty ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Simple really. When you eat sugars, or simple carbs (that your body converts to sugars) pancreas goes into hyperdrive to create insulin to process the resulting blood sugar spike to use it for energy. In turn, our body thinks we have lots of energy available and stops burning fat and storing it instead.
    This insulin surge will also cause too much blood sugar to be moved out of the blood. once the surge is over, both the blood sugar and insulin levels drop below normal leaving you tired, hungry, and wanting to eat more. Thus starting the cycle of wanting to eat something else with sugar to get that spike again, then storing more fat, and never actually burning the fat you need to burn.

so if I eat sugar in a calorie deficit it will be stored as fat..????
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    What sort of crazy screwed up world are we living in that an expensive, fart inducing bar of Frankenfood can be held up and worshipped???

You're all mental.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Simple really. When you eat sugars, or simple carbs (that your body converts to sugars) pancreas goes into hyperdrive to create insulin to process the resulting blood sugar spike to use it for energy. In turn, our body thinks we have lots of energy available and stops burning fat and storing it instead.
    This insulin surge will also cause too much blood sugar to be moved out of the blood. once the surge is over, both the blood sugar and insulin levels drop below normal leaving you tired, hungry, and wanting to eat more. Thus starting the cycle of wanting to eat something else with sugar to get that spike again, then storing more fat, and never actually burning the fat you need to burn.

The body does not store fat while in a calorie deficit.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    I'm sure "eating clean" can mean different things to different people.
    As far as bars go, Quest bars are the only ones we would recommend to people who's goal is to lose weight. Quest bars are the only Bars on the market at the moment that will not spike blood sugar. I'm sure you know how important stable blood sugar is for weight loss.

Rubbish. I lose fat and stuff 100g of carbs in one sitting twice a day, followed by glucose in water.

Insulin spikes are also extremely necessary for building muscle after lifting.

Cool?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    As far as bars go, Quest bars are the only ones we would recommend to people who's goal is to lose weight. Quest bars are the only Bars on the market at the moment that will not spike blood sugar. I'm sure you know how important stable blood sugar is for weight loss.

Rubbish. I lose fat and stuff 100g of carbs in one sitting twice a day, followed by glucose in water.

Cool?

next time I am in London we can stuff carbs together...! bahahahahahaha :)
  • ndj1979
    Options

The body does not store fat while in a calorie deficit.

seriously, where do people come up with this stuff?
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Simple really. When you eat sugars, or simple carbs (that your body converts to sugars) pancreas goes into hyperdrive

OK... stop right there. The pancreas simply produces insulin. It doesn't need to go into hyperdrive or anything. That's simple hyperbole. Protein has the same effect.
    to create insulin to process the resulting blood sugar spike to use it for energy. In turn, our body thinks we have lots of energy available and stops burning fat and storing it instead.

Insulin drives sugar and amino acids into the cells.
    This insulin surge will also cause too much blood sugar to be moved out of the blood.

If you have a normal insulin response (i.e. you are not diabetic) it causes the right amount of sugar to be removed from the blood. That's its job. If you are going hypoglycemic, you have a medical issue.
    once the surge is over, both the blood sugar and insulin levels drop below normal leaving you tired, hungry, and wanting to eat more.

Blood sugar levels drop to the low end of normal, if you have a normal insulin response. Not below normal.
    Thus starting the cycle of wanting to eat something else with sugar to get that spike again, then storing more fat, and never actually burning the fat you need to burn.

Overeating is definitely a problem if you are trying to lose weight. And foods high in simple carbohydrates are not very filling. So eat some protein and fat along with them.
  • Springfield1970
    Options

Cool?

next time I am in London we can stuff carbs together...! bahahahahahaha :)

I am preparing a carb cupboard just for us! We can spike insulin til we puke my dear boy!

Actually, I knew there was something wrong in the way we were doing it. I mean, I just carrrrrrrrrnt seem to lose this puppy fat coz I'm sooooo addicted to those nasty sugarz. I've got no energy, I can hardly make it thru the day....
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I personally don't eat Quest Bars because they are expensive but if i wasn't so cheap... i would.....

Now, if they are clean or not... I would say NO.. but like most people i think clean is a marketing term that health nuts made up to sell tofu and sunflower seeds.... for 20 Bucks a packet...

*sigh*

Clean should even be a term used it's just eating as you see fit. Which does not agree with what you see fit to eat. I think IIFYM was a term invented by people who are trying to justify eating candy bars and ice cream if they want to.. but ya know.. to each their won. live and let live yadda yadda yadda

Protein bars and powder are the biggest exception a lot of professed clean eaters make in their diet. My trainer even told me to eat clean, but supplement with powder as needed.

So it's whatever..

As a clean eater, I do agree with your assessment of IIFYM or at least the way some here like to push their junk food on others. I don't have a trainer on my goal towards better fitness. I would think not all trainers are created equal and would be leery of one pushing protein bars and powder if they are recommending you eat clean or know you eat clean.

I follow the "IIFYM" theory and I don't feel like I need to "justify" myself to anyone. I know plenty of people who do flexible dieting and they are shredded/in great shape. More so than some clean eaters. We are all working toward the same goal in the end. To be fit and look great! To build muscle, lean out, lose fat. Those things can be achieved with either clean eating or flexible dieting. So why do people care so much? Why are people judging me for being able to eat a donut, or pizza, and still be able to get fit and hit my Protein/Carb/Fat macros??

I was responding tongue in cheek to this post:
    Now, if they are clean or not... I would say NO.. but like most people i think clean is a marketing term that health nuts made up to sell tofu and sunflower seeds.... for 20 Bucks a packet...

I don't need to justify my eating habits.. and i don't go around telling people i'm a clean eater anywhere else. Online i am asked my diet. I eat what i want, but I am actively avoiding certain things. In the world of MFP my diet most resembles that of a clean diet. To me it's just eating. If I state I have a sugar withdrawal headache and am trying to push through it, telling me to eat sugar isn't helping *me* reach *my*goals. In my real life no one picks apart my diet or tells me to eat the food items that I don't want to eat. If you're going to come on here and whine that you can't lose weight. and ask for opinions. I'm going to tell you what works for me. Period. Do with it what you will.

Why are people so judgmental that I don't want to eat a donuts or pizza and am still able to get fit and hit my macros?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I personally don't eat Quest Bars because they are expensive but if i wasn't so cheap... i would.....

*sigh*

Clean should even be a term used it's just eating as you see fit. Which does not agree with what you see fit to eat. I think IIFYM was a term invented by people who are trying to justify eating candy bars and ice cream if they want to.. but ya know.. to each their won. live and let live yadda yadda yadda

Protein bars and powder are the biggest exception a lot of professed clean eaters make in their diet. My trainer even told me to eat clean, but supplement with powder as needed.

So it's whatever..

As a clean eater, I do agree with your assessment of IIFYM or at least the way some here like to push their junk food on others. I don't have a trainer on my goal towards better fitness. I would think not all trainers are created equal and would be leery of one pushing protein bars and powder if they are recommending you eat clean or know you eat clean.

I follow the "IIFYM" theory and I don't feel like I need to "justify" myself to anyone. I know plenty of people who do flexible dieting and they are shredded/in great shape. More so than some clean eaters. We are all working toward the same goal in the end. To be fit and look great! To build muscle, lean out, lose fat. Those things can be achieved with either clean eating or flexible dieting. So why do people care so much? Why are people judging me for being able to eat a donut, or pizza, and still be able to get fit and hit my Protein/Carb/Fat macros??

I don't need to justify my eating habits.. and i don't go around telling people i'm a clean eater anywhere else. Online i am asked my diet. I eat what i want, but I am actively avoiding certain things. In the world of MFP my diet most resembles that of a clean diet. To me it's just eating. If I state I have a sugar withdrawal headache and am trying to push through it, telling me to eat sugar isn't helping *me* reach *my*goals. In my real life no one picks apart my diet or tells me to eat the food items that I don't want to eat. If you're going to come on here and whine that you can't lose weight. and ask for opinions. I'm going to tell you what works for me. Period. Do with it what you will.

Why are people so judgmental that I don't want to eat a donuts or pizza and am still able to get fit and hit my macros?

No one cares whether you want to eat donuts or a pizza.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

*sigh*

Why would anyone need to justify eating certain foods? I personally don't care what anyone else eats. I am curious about the thought process some people use when they include certain foods and exclude others, particularly when they are telling me what they think I should or should not eat based on their own views. Beyond that what someone else eats has no bearing on my life, and they don't need to justify anything to me. I don't understand why anyone would have to justify eating any type of food that they want to eat. Except for eating people, that one they're going to have some explaining to do.

I fully agree with you and IRL, we don't feel a need to justify our food choices to anyone. We've eaten a certain way for over 30 years. It works for us and that's all that matters. On the forums, it is a different game. If I say I eat clean, that one simple statement will throw a number of members on that thread into a tizzy. These member then go on to provoke. This happens over and over on the forums to anyone who says they eat clean. OP has been in this group that goes after the clean eaters and I suspect like others that this thread was started simply to get the clean eaters in an uproar, something that is against MFP forum policy.

And this happens over and over again in the forums when someone mentions IIFYM:
    As a clean eater, I do agree with your assessment of IIFYM or at least the way some here like to push their junk food on others.

IIFYM is not about junk food or encouraging people to eat junk food. I can understand your frustration about the clean eating threads, but the clean eating people also need to own the recurring mischaracterization of IIFYM that they perpetuate within the community.

If you feel another user is violating the forum policies, then use the report feature and let the mods decide. Repeatedly calling him out, derailing the thread, and creating/perpetuating drama are also against MFP forum policy, and from what I've seen the mods will give strikes to people on both sides.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

*sigh*

So it's whatever..

Nobody cares what you eat.

Even those asking advice on how to break a plateau don't care how you eat.

Edit: Jonny beat me to it. :tongue:
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    Simple really. When you eat sugars, or simple carbs (that your body converts to sugars) pancreas goes into hyperdrive

OK... stop right there. The pancreas simply produces insulin. It doesn't need to go into hyperdrive or anything. That's simple hyperbole. Protein has the same effect.
    to create insulin to process the resulting blood sugar spike to use it for energy. In turn, our body thinks we have lots of energy available and stops burning fat and storing it instead.

Insulin drives sugar and amino acids into the cells.
    This insulin surge will also cause too much blood sugar to be moved out of the blood.

If you have a normal insulin response (i.e. you are not diabetic) it causes the right amount of sugar to be removed from the blood. That's its job. If you are going hypoglycemic, you have a medical issue.
    once the surge is over, both the blood sugar and insulin levels drop below normal leaving you tired, hungry, and wanting to eat more.

Blood sugar levels drop to the low end of normal, if you have a normal insulin response. Not below normal.
    Thus starting the cycle of wanting to eat something else with sugar to get that spike again, then storing more fat, and never actually burning the fat you need to burn.

Overeating is definitely a problem if you are trying to lose weight. And foods high in simple carbohydrates are not very filling. So eat some protein and fat along with them.

Aaah the calm voice of reason.

Do you need an apprentice?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    yes, but once you open the wrapper they are no longer sterile, 5 second rule still applies here, eat fast
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

*sigh*

So it's whatever..

No one cares whether you want to eat donuts or a pizza.

Maybe no one cares, but enough people make negative comments and write nasty PMs. Are so many people really that ethnocentric and one track minded as far as diet is concerned ? Can the majority not imagine that there is more to the world diet than doughnuts, pizza and pop tarts ? I agree with a previous poster. Before I joined MFP INEVER was asked by anyone to defend my diet, but here people do......The question is; would they ask me to defend my diet if I were to eat like the average American ? My guess is that probably not....and IMO that really sucks.
    I don't eat doughnuts, pizza, fast food and similar things. I do not not eat them, because I think they are awful and horrible, but because I grew up in a culture where those kinds of food were not part of the everyday diet. I also worked for the last 40 years in under developed countries where people for many reasons eat a more natural diet, because that is all they can afford ( usually it's a largish amount of carbs, like rice and some vegetables for the daily diet and a bit of meat or fish on special occasions ).
    I am tired of people telling me to try a hamburger or a dozen of doughnuts ( because it would improve my sex life as one MFP member wrote me ), because I DON'T WANT TO.
    I prefer a plate of cauliflower with cheese sauce any day over a doughnut, or a can of smoked oysters over a hamburger. I have never told anyone what they should eat ( unless someone specifically asked ) neither in the clean nor in the dirty department. Why are there so many people who just can't accept that there are people who just eat differently ? I am not saying better, just differently.....
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    stay out of the forum and i dare say no one is going to make you defend your diet
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    stay out of the forum and i dare say no one is going to make you defend your diet

No one can make you defend your diet. They can question it or comment on it, but it's your choice whether you choose to defend it.
  • Ang108
    Options

Wow, that's a really intelligent response......jejeje

Also, you need to improve your reading skills : I did not say that anyone " made me " defend my diet. That would be very difficult to do...... I said I was " asked to defend my diet ", which of course I don't do , because I eat what I like and what I am comfortable with .
  • Ang108
    Options
    yes and you sound so much more sophisticated coming in here and whining to strangers on the internet

Oh, I apologize, I was not aware that this was an exclusive club and that you obviously know all members personally.
    Having a bad day, I assume ?
This discussion has been closed.