• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    with 1000 post i would have thought you figured things out by now

why come to the battlefield and then ***** that you have to defend yourself
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Maybe no one cares, but enough people make negative comments and write nasty PMs. Are so many people really that ethnocentric and one track minded as far as diet is concerned ? Can the majority not imagine that there is more to the world diet than doughnuts, pizza and pop tarts ? I agree with a previous poster. Before I joined MFP INEVER was asked by anyone to defend my diet, but here people do......The question is; would they ask me to defend my diet if I were to eat like the average American ? My guess is that probably not....and IMO that really sucks.
    I don't eat doughnuts, pizza, fast food and similar things. I do not not eat them, because I think they are awful and horrible, but because I grew up in a culture where those kinds of food were not part of the everyday diet. I also worked for the last 40 years in under developed countries where people for many reasons eat a more natural diet, because that is all they can afford ( usually it's a largish amount of carbs, like rice and some vegetables for the daily diet and a bit of meat or fish on special occasions ).
    I am tired of people telling me to try a hamburger or a dozen of doughnuts ( because it would improve my sex life as one MFP member wrote me ), because I DON'T WANT TO.
    I prefer a plate of cauliflower with cheese sauce any day over a doughnut, or a can of smoked oysters over a hamburger. I have never told anyone what they should eat ( unless someone specifically asked ) neither in the clean nor in the dirty department. Why are there so many people who just can't accept that there are people who just eat differently ? I am not saying better, just differently.....

Negative comments about what?

No one makes negative comments about eating broccoli or chicken breast or whatever.

Who is telling you to try donuts and pizza? Who cares if you prefer cauliflower to cheese?
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Maybe no one cares, but enough people make negative comments and write nasty PMs. Are so many people really that ethnocentric and one track minded as far as diet is concerned ? Can the majority not imagine that there is more to the world diet than doughnuts, pizza and pop tarts ? I agree with a previous poster. Before I joined MFP INEVER was asked by anyone to defend my diet, but here people do......The question is; would they ask me to defend my diet if I were to eat like the average American ? My guess is that probably not....and IMO that really sucks.
    I don't eat doughnuts, pizza, fast food and similar things. I do not not eat them, because I think they are awful and horrible, but because I grew up in a culture where those kinds of food were not part of the everyday diet. I also worked for the last 40 years in under developed countries where people for many reasons eat a more natural diet, because that is all they can afford ( usually it's a largish amount of carbs, like rice and some vegetables for the daily diet and a bit of meat or fish on special occasions ).
    I am tired of people telling me to try a hamburger or a dozen of doughnuts ( because it would improve my sex life as one MFP member wrote me ), because I DON'T WANT TO.
    I prefer a plate of cauliflower with cheese sauce any day over a doughnut, or a can of smoked oysters over a hamburger. I have never told anyone what they should eat ( unless someone specifically asked ) neither in the clean nor in the dirty department. Why are there so many people who just can't accept that there are people who just eat differently ? I am not saying better, just differently.....

No one makes negative comments about eating broccoli or chicken breast or whatever.

Who is telling you to try donuts and pizza? Who cares if you prefer cauliflower to cheese?

I m sorry, but I have no names of those people who make comments.
    But you have been around almost 10 000 posts worth and you know ( even if you are now just in a pot-stirring mood and want to challenge me ) that there are people who are sarcastic in their comments, make jokes or generalize in the most simplest way ( as if eating different is all about broccoli and chicken breast, or is it that most people just cannot think of anything else when it comes to different from mainstream American food ? ).
    I have already said in the first sentence of my post that I agree that no one really cares . My question still is, if no one ( which means all people here ) cares, why the ( often really stupid and uninformed) remarks ?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    But you have been around almost 10 000 posts worth and you know ( even if you are now just in a pot-stirring mood and want to challenge me ) that there are people who are sarcastic in their comments, make jokes or generalize in the most simplest way ( as if eating different is all about broccoli and chicken breast, or is it that most people just cannot think of anything else when it comes to different from mainstream American food ? ).
    I have already said in the first sentence of my post that I agree that no one really cares . My question still is, if no one ( which means all people here ) cares, why the ( often really stupid and uninformed) remarks ?

It's tough to answer the question about "why the rude remarks" if you can't identify any of the remarks in question.

In 100% seriousness, the vast, vast majority of negative comments that are directed at specific foods are directed at either fast food or foods high in added sugar. I literally get comments every day on MFP saying that the foods I eat daily will give me cancer or make me otherwise unhealthy.

I occasionally see people making fun of "healthy substitutes" like cauliflower pizza but it's mostly in jest. I never see people make negative remarks about someone who simply prefers to eat whole foods.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

Well, I'd say whoever was sending you rude PM's doesn't quite get IIFYM. The point, as I see it at least, is not that you have to eat hamburgers and pizza, but that you can if you want them and they fit your goals. Eat foods YOU like (in moderation), but don't arbitrarily cut stuff out just because it isn't clean/whatever the fad of the day is.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

you are taking MFP threads way too serious and need to chill out...
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I personally don't eat Quest Bars because they are expensive but if i wasn't so cheap... i would.....

Now, if they are clean or not... I would say NO.. but like most people i think clean is a marketing term that health nuts made up to sell tofu and sunflower seeds.... for 20 Bucks a packet...

*sigh*

Clean should even be a term used it's just eating as you see fit. Which does not agree with what you see fit to eat. I think IIFYM was a term invented by people who are trying to justify eating candy bars and ice cream if they want to.. but ya know.. to each their won. live and let live yadda yadda yadda

Protein bars and powder are the biggest exception a lot of professed clean eaters make in their diet. My trainer even told me to eat clean, but supplement with powder as needed.

So it's whatever..

ETA: No i don't consider them clean. I do think it's just quest trying to showcase their bars as healthier then other bars. and attempting to appeal to people who are trying to get healthier.

fail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCCDTJYUWsg
  • LolBroScience
    Options

you are taking MFP threads way too serious and need to chill out...

And this. Internet is srs business.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Well, I'd say whoever was sending you rude PM's doesn't quite get IIFYM. The point, as I see it at least, is not that you have to eat hamburgers and pizza, but that you can if you want them and they fit your goals. Eat foods YOU like (in moderation), but don't arbitrarily cut stuff out just because it isn't clean/whatever the fad of the day is.

The point is.. "IIFYM" says "eat what you want in moderation and if you want a candy bar eat it" "clean" eater says "I don't want to eat the candy bar even though I'm craving it for whatever reason" - Commence ridiculousness from both "sides". And you can pull up just about any thread about clean eating and see it devolve into a bunch of people ripping apart clean eating.

If no one cares, then why the need to tear down someones diet? yea.. eat what I want in moderation.. well I *don't* want to eat the candy bar regardless of cravings, even if it fits. So what is the problem then??

Hmm, thinking farther into this..... Technically Clean Eaters follows IIFYM.. we just don't eat food we don't want to eat for whatever reason we see fit to not want to eat them Which is basically the same idea of eat what you want in moderation if it fits right??? Because IIFYM people do not eat what they do not want to eat for whatever reason they see fit to not want to eat them.

Ahhh.. look.. same diet comprised of different foods.. can there be MFP peace now??
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    I personally don't eat Quest Bars because they are expensive but if i wasn't so cheap... i would.....

Now, if they are clean or not... I would say NO.. but like most people i think clean is a marketing term that health nuts made up to sell tofu and sunflower seeds.... for 20 Bucks a packet...

*sigh*

Clean should even be a term used it's just eating as you see fit. Which does not agree with what you see fit to eat. I think IIFYM was a term invented by people who are trying to justify eating candy bars and ice cream if they want to.. but ya know.. to each their won. live and let live yadda yadda yadda

Protein bars and powder are the biggest exception a lot of professed clean eaters make in their diet. My trainer even told me to eat clean, but supplement with powder as needed.

So it's whatever..

ETA: No i don't consider them clean. I do think it's just quest trying to showcase their bars as healthier then other bars. and attempting to appeal to people who are trying to get healthier.

fail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCCDTJYUWsg

you are late to the party! I've already responded to this :)
  • jonnythan
    Options
    And you can pull up just about any thread about clean eating and see it devolve into a bunch of people ripping apart clean eating.

No.

The threads devolve into people ripping apart the claim that "clean" is in some way better. The threads fall apart when someone says that sugar is bad for you, or that fast food is bad for you.

No one rips apart eating clean food. People do, however, rip apart the silly claims people make about the superiority of clean eating.

There's a big difference.
    Technically Clean Eaters follows IIFYM.. we just don't eat food we don't want to eat for whatever reason we see fit to not want to eat them Which is basically the same idea of eat what you want in moderation if it fits right??? Because IIFYM people do not eat what they do not want to eat for whatever reason they see fit to not want to eat them.

Ahhh.. look.. same diet comprised of different foods.. can there be MFP peace now??

Some clean eaters do IIFYM, some don't. Some paleo eaters do IIFYM, some don't.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    you are late to the party! I've already responded to this :)

Not that I see anywhere?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

The point is.. "IIFYM" says "eat what you want in moderation and if you want a candy bar eat it" "clean" eater says "I don't want to eat the candy bar even though I'm craving it for whatever reason" - Commence ridiculousness from both "sides". And you can pull up just about any thread about clean eating and see it devolve into a bunch of people ripping apart clean eating.

If no one cares, then why the need to tear down someones diet? yea.. eat what I want in moderation.. well I *don't* want to eat the candy bar regardless of cravings, even if it fits. So what is the problem then??

Hmm, thinking farther into this..... Technically Clean Eaters follows IIFYM.. we just don't eat food we don't want to eat for whatever reason we see fit to not want to eat them Which is basically the same idea of eat what you want in moderation if it fits right??? Because IIFYM people do not eat what they do not want to eat for whatever reason they see fit to not want to eat them.

This has been pointed out before. Maybe not in this thread, but definitely in several others. There are also many IIFYM'ers that eat "clean" 80% of the time, which is the general rule of eating clean, right? There's a misconception that IIFYM don't eat fruits, vegetables, and lean meats.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Isn't this thread supposed to be about Quest bars? I'm feelin' dirty, so maybe I'll bust open a coconut cashew Quest for the heck of it.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

It's tough to answer the question about "why the rude remarks" if you can't identify any of the remarks in question.

In 100% seriousness, the vast, vast majority of negative comments that are directed at specific foods are directed at either fast food or foods high in added sugar. I literally get comments every day on MFP saying that the foods I eat daily will give me cancer or make me otherwise unhealthy.

I occasionally see people making fun of "healthy substitutes" like cauliflower pizza but it's mostly in jest. I never see people make negative remarks about someone who simply prefers to eat whole foods.

giphy.gif
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    there is that misconception. But it's because it comes across that way. When I first started here and was trying to clean up my diet I asked a question about how to get rid of the craving and eat better and was bombarded with people saying if it fits eat it, you don't need to cut anything out. No real explanation as to why or what they were talking about. All I wanted to do, was eat less crap and more healthy food and eat more overall while doing so. I said I do not want to eat that junk anymore and was asked what exactly is bad in it for me and why and whats the scientific proof of that. So now i just ignore all that. I know my body and what it needs and what I consider junk (which may not be what you do and that's fine) is not what i want to eat. I'm sure the flip side is true.

And to brosciecne. It was a tongue in cheek comment.

Clean eating isn't a diet either. It's just eating. I'm not watching a 30m long video.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Whoever is running the Quest FB page came on 'about an hour ago', and replied to all posts on their page... except my request for their definition of clean.

Maybe they need to do some research?

:happy:
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Clean eaters remind me of hardcore religious people, claiming they're way is the only true way, but often times dont have facts, but rather faith to back it up

clean eaters are the atheists, rely heavily on facts but are rather obnoxious and self righteous in theyre arguments as they sem to get just a little too much joy in trashing the opposing argument.

both groups can be very annoying.

ill just chill with the agnostics/ people who dont feel the need to allign with either clean or IIFYM cliques
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Clean eaters remind me of hardcore religious people, claiming they're way is the only true way, but often times dont have facts, but rather faith to back it up

clean eaters are the atheists, rely heavily on facts but are rather obnoxious and self righteous in theyre arguments as they sem to get just a little too much joy in trashing the opposing argument.

Wait what? :laugh:
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

both groups can be very annoying.

ill just chill with the agnostics/ people who dont feel the need to allign with either clean or IIFYM cliques

Just exactly how much love was that brownie baked with?
This discussion has been closed.