America is doomed

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Maybe because the yeast eats all the sugar so they don't have to include it in the ingredients?

Meanwhile, if you're making bread at home, you probably don't want to omit the sugar from the recipe.

Yeast doesn't work that way. Yeast eats the carbs naturally present in the flour. It doesn't need added sugar. Not at all.

Oh, yeast actually *does* work that way...it just doesn't *have* to. Yeast will gladly eat sugar...that part, I know is true...but had forgotten that yeast will also eat that essentially-the-same-thing-as-sugar-wheat-flour too. The yeast treats them similarly...(I wonder why?).

I also wonder if there are any other living organisms that do the same...
    Oh you and your logic....

Incidentally, I keep reading people making the arguments about how we always add so much sugar to all these foods where it doesn't belong. I'd like some examples. I've been thinking about it, and I honestly can't think of a single food I've eaten that has sugar in it that shouldn't.
  • IsabellaGiano
    IsabellaGiano Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Couldn't read 11 pages of comments, sorry!

Anyway, I'm Italian, I travelled several times in the US, and your idea of a portion is much larger than the average portion of anything in Italy and Europe.

And size, sometimes, do really matter...

I remember I was incredulous observing a teenager eating in one go a plate of pasta that I would have considered enough for 3 or 4 people...

Also, your processed food tends to be higher in calories than ours. You like more intense taste, and the recipe of, e.g, coke and kitkat is different, with more sugar. i cite those because I directly compared them, and wow, I couldn't almost swallow my US kitkat, and I love sweets!
    Your burghers have to be accompanied by a lot of sauces, and so on.

So, if you put together, more caloric food, in higher quantities... here you are.

Obviously, if you have high caloric food in small quantity, everyone is happy :)

That is so true, I moved 4 years ago to the US and was almost disgusted by all that sugar in every food. They put sugar in bread and lunch meats etc. The cakes have almost more frosting an top than the caked own size. Everything is to big, to sweet, to processed etc. but people are not FORCED to eat that crap. By the way, I love and miss the real fire wood cooked italian pizza. Not many nice italian family restaurants here where I live. I can't stand all these chains anymore.

so Italian bread is sugar free?????????

Most of it yes. German bread as well. No added sugars. And you can taste the difference right away.

carb is a sugar...so you are saying all Italian bread is carb free?

Way to move the goalposts.

Carb free bread? What kind of a ridiculous thing is that to say? Olive oil is a fat. Doesn't mean you can equate it to bacon grease just because both are fats.

The point here is that sugar added to bread isn't as healthy as bread without sugar. Obviously its all carbs anyways, but its sure as hell not 50% fructose like added sugar is.

is carb a sugar, yes or no?

Is the sky blue, yes or no?

Totally irrelevant.

how is it irrelevant? someone said european bread does not have sugar..if it has carbs then your body is going to break it down as sugar….

Because the point is that we're talking about ADDED sugar. The larger point is that in America, because of how cheap we've made things, and particularly when it comes to HFCS, we're actually ADDING additional sugar to countless things. That is a problem, and there is nothing wrong with pointing it out.

Eating a pancake with a bunch of syrup and powdered sugar all over it is not OK simply because the pancake itself is also made of carbohydrate.

And, most importantly, just because sucrose or HFCS is a carb, does not make it the same as wheat. Sucrose is 50% glucose and 50% fructose. Its a basic disaccharide...its not all the same thing as wheat, which isn't going to inject fructose into your body.

so your argument is added sugar bad, other sugar good, really?

My "argument" is:

a cup of fresh strawberries is delicious. You can make it extra delicious by sparkling on top a drop of lemon and some grams of sugar (I mean sucrose and not carbs in general :) )

Now, what's the point of covering the same, deliciously yummy cup with another 50 grams of sugar? 50.

Yes, you can do that, you can make it fit your macro, I don't think sucrose is a toxin, I like it and everything.
    But.
    You just added 50 g sugar to that cup of strawberries. With a lot of cals, you may agree on that?

The taste of one person get used to what it is given. In a while you won't like plain strawberries like the strawberries coated in sugar.
    You will like more and more the sweet taste. In bread. In coke. In snacks. In tin can food. In cereals. In sauce.

Now, may we agree that added sugars add... calories? And that a cup of strawberries with sugar is more caloric than a plain one? And that if you have to choose only between food with added sugar (added, added, added, added, please read what I'm writing, ADDED), even when adding sugar in not required (e.g. bread) led you to have food that is more caloric, that gives you easier more calories than you require? Yes, the difference in calories between sugar and flour is minimal, but not between sugar and fruit, sugar and beans etc. Add sugar to everything, and you will think you need that added sugar to everything, more and more. because you won't know any more the taste of plain food.

And that is what happened in the last decades in the US. The quantity of added sugar to your food actually increased with years.

In my opinion, this is ONE of the cause that INFLUENCED people to be so obese.,
  • IsabellaGiano
    IsabellaGiano Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Maybe because the yeast eats all the sugar so they don't have to include it in the ingredients?

Meanwhile, if you're making bread at home, you probably don't want to omit the sugar from the recipe.

Yeast doesn't work that way. Yeast eats the carbs naturally present in the flour. It doesn't need added sugar. Not at all.

Oh, yeast actually *does* work that way...it just doesn't *have* to. Yeast will gladly eat sugar...that part, I know is true...but had forgotten that yeast will also eat that essentially-the-same-thing-as-sugar-wheat-flour too. The yeast treats them similarly...(I wonder why?).

I also wonder if there are any other living organisms that do the same...
    Oh you and your logic....

Incidentally, I keep reading people making the arguments about how we always add so much sugar to all these foods where it doesn't belong. I'd like some examples. I've been thinking about it, and I honestly can't think of a single food I've eaten that has sugar in it that shouldn't.

Hello :)

I'm sorry I'm not in US now, I cannot have a look at labels. I just cited some in the post above.
    I remember exactly the bread, and then the fact that many snacks of yours hame way more sugar (not carbs, that yes are sugarS, but sugar sucrose, list of ingredients usually distinguish between sugar and flour :) )
    The KitKat of yours was almost inedible for me -and I love sweets and eat something sweet every day.

You put sugar in tin can food, in sauce for the dressing of salads and roasted meats. And you use a lot of these...
    You put a lot more sugar than Europe in cereals for kids. In fruit juices, in sodas.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    meh. natural selection.

It isn't natural selection when many poor people are obese because they can't afford healthy food. It's extermination. And if allowed to continue, America should be doomed.
    you do not become obese by eating what you consider nutritionally deficient food. you become obese by eating too much food, nutritious or not.

Actually, many of us find when we eat food with a lot of sugar and little nutritional value we have issues with satiety and cravings. So while you are technically correct, I believe you are wrong. And if not, so what? Years or decades of being unable to fulfill nutritional needs, especially going back to childhood, is harming and killing people, is it not? Therefore, it's still extermination, even for the ones who die thin.

So why is it that all the people with money arent skinny then? America has a food culture embedded with gluttony. The gluttony has been optional.

Just because some people can afford to eat healthy and don't doesn't lessen the plight of those who simply can't afford to. But it is a problem not confined only to the impoverished, you are right about that.

For the poor: -

1) healthy food is not more expensive

2) if people are so poor then surely they can only afford small amounts of unhealthy food anyway. You wouldnt put on weight....
  • eldamiano
    Options
    meh. natural selection.

It isn't natural selection when many poor people are obese because they can't afford healthy food. It's extermination. And if allowed to continue, America should be doomed.

This is a myth: -

a) healthy food is not more expensive

b) if people are so poor then surely they can only afford small amounts of unhealthy food anyway. You wouldnt put on weight....

Yeah, right. Healthy food isn't more expensive. Sure. And that is why I can't afford meat anymore and have more money when I overeat because the foods I buy when I overeat are so much cheaper.

This is of course rubbish and ignorant of the truth. And if you, as you admit, are overeating, then you are spending more than you should on food. So how is this cheaper?
  • eldamiano
    Options
    meh. natural selection.

you do not become obese by eating what you consider nutritionally deficient food. you become obese by eating too much food, nutritious or not.

Actually, many of us find when we eat food with a lot of sugar and little nutritional value we have issues with satiety and cravings. So while you are technically correct, I believe you are wrong. And if not, so what? Years or decades of being unable to fulfill nutritional needs, especially going back to childhood, is harming and killing people, is it not? Therefore, it's still extermination, even for the ones who die thin.

So why is it that all the people with money arent skinny then? America has a food culture embedded with gluttony. The gluttony has been optional.

Actually, obesity correlates very closely with poverty. Generally, the higher the income, the less the chances of being obese.

Excuse the pun, but this is utter junk.

Correlation does not mean causation.
  • eldamiano
    Options
    you need to travel the world. someone who create a calorie deficit with eating mcdonalds, will lose weight compared.to.someone who overeats home.cooked.food

and mcdonalds.did not invent burgers.
    america is fat because food is.oversized, including those that serve healthier options

take for example the burgers here. did you know that the kiddie size is the regular size burger in asia? the smallest soda in the us is actually the biggest in asia.

it.also does not help that people no longer eat family style so kids will learn portion size!

So the 'healthier' option is just a kiddie size?

And I thought that McDonald's salads was progress.....

Thanks for the travel tip. I am sure I will need that when trying to comment on how bizarre the 'kiddie' option is classed as healthy.
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I make homemade pepperoni, Canadian bacon and bacon pizzas. I have celiac so they are gluten free. Which, despite popular myth, makes them LESS healthy as rice flour has less fiber and a whole heck of a lot more simple sugars AND more calories. It's also made with a TON of cheese. The secret to eating this and not being an "overweight American"? DO NOT EAT THE ENTIRE FREAKING PIZZA IN ONE SITTING! Throw in some veggies, fruit, sleep and plenty of water and you're set. Exercise helps too! :flowerforyou: Oh and I do have ice cream, with a touch of chocolate sauce, for dessert. Same thing... don't eat the entire gallon!
    You know what's weird? I live in Canada and there is no such thing as "Canadian Bacon". We eat regular "strip" bacon and I have to cross the border into the states to get this so called "Canadian Bacon". Strange huh?
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Couldn't read 11 pages of comments, sorry!

Anyway, I'm Italian, I travelled several times in the US, and your idea of a portion is much larger than the average portion of anything in Italy and Europe.

And size, sometimes, do really matter...

I remember I was incredulous observing a teenager eating in one go a plate of pasta that I would have considered enough for 3 or 4 people...

Also, your processed food tends to be higher in calories than ours. You like more intense taste, and the recipe of, e.g, coke and kitkat is different, with more sugar. i cite those because I directly compared them, and wow, I couldn't almost swallow my US kitkat, and I love sweets!
    Your burghers have to be accompanied by a lot of sauces, and so on.

So, if you put together, more caloric food, in higher quantities... here you are.

Obviously, if you have high caloric food in small quantity, everyone is happy :)

That is so true, I moved 4 years ago to the US and was almost disgusted by all that sugar in every food. They put sugar in bread and lunch meats etc. The cakes have almost more frosting an top than the caked own size. Everything is to big, to sweet, to processed etc. but people are not FORCED to eat that crap. By the way, I love and miss the real fire wood cooked italian pizza. Not many nice italian family restaurants here where I live. I can't stand all these chains anymore.

so Italian bread is sugar free?????????

Most of it yes. German bread as well. No added sugars. And you can taste the difference right away.

carb is a sugar...so you are saying all Italian bread is carb free?

Way to move the goalposts.

Carb free bread? What kind of a ridiculous thing is that to say? Olive oil is a fat. Doesn't mean you can equate it to bacon grease just because both are fats.

The point here is that sugar added to bread isn't as healthy as bread without sugar. Obviously its all carbs anyways, but its sure as hell not 50% fructose like added sugar is.

is carb a sugar, yes or no?

Is the sky blue, yes or no?

Totally irrelevant.

how is it irrelevant? someone said european bread does not have sugar..if it has carbs then your body is going to break it down as sugar….

No. I made the comment that I found it strange that in the US they add sugar to bread because we usually don't add sugar to bread here. I never once said it does not have sugar.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,034 Member
    Options
    There IS more added sugar in USA bread - my daughter was living in USA for 6 months and she noticed, as other Australians in USA have, that the bread tastes much sweeter.

Out of curiosity I googled USA bread info and compared to bread labels here - obviously I didnt include every bread on either market but I compared the standard white breads - there was more sugar in USA breads - it is not just perception or hearsay, it is the case.

Whether or not that is relevant to thread IDK - but there it is.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Yeah...because NO OTHER COUNTRY had unhealthy food...or fat people. :huh:
  • SuperstarDJ
    Options
    Yeah...because NO OTHER COUNTRY had unhealthy food...or fat people. :huh:
    Perhaps you could show me where in this thread anyone said no other country has unhealthy food or fat people?
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    meh. natural selection.

b) if people are so poor then surely they can only afford small amounts of unhealthy food anyway. You wouldnt put on weight....

Yeah, right. Healthy food isn't more expensive. Sure. And that is why I can't afford meat anymore and have more money when I overeat because the foods I buy when I overeat are so much cheaper.

This is of course rubbish and ignorant of the truth. And if you, as you admit, are overeating, then you are spending more than you should on food. So how is this cheaper?

Low carb with a heaping helping of vegetables on the side is healthier than mac and cheese, peanut butter and jelly, and cookies. And on low carb I don't have as much of an issue with cravings and overeating. But I can't afford meat anymore, so I have to buy foods I will overeat on.

And I'm relatively lucky, or I couldn't even contemplate trying to meet all my nutritional needs. I bought a tomato the other day in the grocery store. It cost four dollars. Admittedly, it was a big tomato, but some people have only four or five dollars a day to use for food, and they can't just eat a tomato.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    meh. natural selection.

Low carb with a heaping helping of vegetables on the side is healthier than mac and cheese, peanut butter and jelly, and cookies. And on low carb I don't have as much of an issue with cravings and overeating. But I can't afford meat anymore, so I have to buy foods I will overeat on.

And I'm relatively lucky, or I couldn't even contemplate trying to meet all my nutritional needs. I bought a tomato the other day in the grocery store. It cost four dollars. Admittedly, it was a big tomato, but some people have only four or five dollars a day to use for food, and they can't just eat a tomato.
    $4 for one tomato? :huh:

I could buy a lot of tomatoes over here for the equivalent of $4
  • Jestinia
    Options
    meh. natural selection.

Next time I will definitely shop around and not just buy one from whatever grocery I happen to be in. It did weigh about a pound. It was a ridiculously huge tomato.
  • SuperstarDJ
    Options
    meh. natural selection.

FOUR dollars??? That €2.88 :noway: A regular tomato here is ~ €0.20
    Out of curiosity, how much is a Big Mac?
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

Next time I will definitely shop around and not just buy one from whatever grocery I happen to be in. It did weigh about a pound. It was a ridiculously huge tomato.
    1lb of tomatoes would cost about $1.69 over here
  • Jestinia
    Options

1lb of tomatoes would cost about $1.69 over here

I'm moving. Where do you live? :laugh:
  • Jestinia
    Options
    meh. natural selection.

FOUR dollars??? That €2.88 :noway: A regular tomato here is ~ €0.20
    Out of curiosity, how much is a Big Mac?

Calorie for calorie, a big mac is a lot cheaper!
  • eldamiano
    Options
    meh. natural selection.

$4? And you expect me to take this seriously?
This discussion has been closed.