America is doomed

Options

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I guess all European bread is carb free then ..because you know, no sugar and all ...

Well, I can only tell you one thing--the bread I buy in Italy "Genzano" --is awesome, and I've never tasted it's like in the US. And yes, it has carbs. Wonderful, tasty carbs!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, who cares that there's no sugar? :happy: :happy:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I guess all European bread is carb free then ..because you know, no sugar and all ...

Well, I can only tell you one thing--the bread I buy in Italy "Genzano" --is awesome, and I've never tasted it's like in the US. And yes, it has carbs. Wonderful, tasty carbs!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, who cares that there's no sugar? :happy: :happy:

Your body certainly doesn't care that there's no sugar (especially since it has other carbs that the body will use exactly like it would the sugar).

Great. Now I want *real* Italian bread.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Your body certainly doesn't care that there's no sugar (especially since it has other carbs that the body will use exactly like it would the sugar).

Great. Now I want *real* Italian bread.

My bread hit my Macros just fine today. Plan a trip. :smile:
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options

Ignorant comment!
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Couldn't read 11 pages of comments, sorry!

Anyway, I'm Italian, I travelled several times in the US, and your idea of a portion is much larger than the average portion of anything in Italy and Europe.

And size, sometimes, do really matter...

I remember I was incredulous observing a teenager eating in one go a plate of pasta that I would have considered enough for 3 or 4 people...

Also, your processed food tends to be higher in calories than ours. You like more intense taste, and the recipe of, e.g, coke and kitkat is different, with more sugar. i cite those because I directly compared them, and wow, I couldn't almost swallow my US kitkat, and I love sweets!
    Your burghers have to be accompanied by a lot of sauces, and so on.

So, if you put together, more caloric food, in higher quantities... here you are.

Obviously, if you have high caloric food in small quantity, everyone is happy :)

That is so true, I moved 4 years ago to the US and was almost disgusted by all that sugar in every food. They put sugar in bread and lunch meats etc. The cakes have almost more frosting an top than the caked own size. Everything is to big, to sweet, to processed etc. but people are not FORCED to eat that crap. By the way, I love and miss the real fire wood cooked italian pizza. Not many nice italian family restaurants here where I live. I can't stand all these chains anymore.

so Italian bread is sugar free?????????
    Maybe they have magical yeast in Italy that doesn't need to eat in order to make bread rise?

I think she's talking about sweet breads, which hardly exist in Italy. To an Italian these breads would be really sweet, since they are not used to them. :smile:

Exactly!
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Maybe because the yeast eats all the sugar so they don't have to include it in the ingredients?

Meanwhile, if you're making bread at home, you probably don't want to omit the sugar from the recipe.

Yeast doesn't work that way. Yeast eats the carbs naturally present in the flour. It doesn't need added sugar. Not at all.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Ignorant comment!

so carbs are not sugar, really?
  • amwbox
    Options

Anyway, I'm Italian, I travelled several times in the US, and your idea of a portion is much larger than the average portion of anything in Italy and Europe.

I remember I was incredulous observing a teenager eating in one go a plate of pasta that I would have considered enough for 3 or 4 people...

Also, your processed food tends to be higher in calories than ours. You like more intense taste, and the recipe of, e.g, coke and kitkat is different, with more sugar. i cite those because I directly compared them, and wow, I couldn't almost swallow my US kitkat, and I love sweets!

So, if you put together, more caloric food, in higher quantities... here you are.

Obviously, if you have high caloric food in small quantity, everyone is happy :)

That is so true, I moved 4 years ago to the US and was almost disgusted by all that sugar in every food. They put sugar in bread and lunch meats etc. The cakes have almost more frosting an top than the caked own size. Everything is to big, to sweet, to processed etc. but people are not FORCED to eat that crap. By the way, I love and miss the real fire wood cooked italian pizza. Not many nice italian family restaurants here where I live. I can't stand all these chains anymore.

Most of it yes. German bread as well. No added sugars. And you can taste the difference right away.

carb is a sugar...so you are saying all Italian bread is carb free?

Way to move the goalposts.

Carb free bread? What kind of a ridiculous thing is that to say? Olive oil is a fat. Doesn't mean you can equate it to bacon grease just because both are fats.

The point here is that sugar added to bread isn't as healthy as bread without sugar. Obviously its all carbs anyways, but its sure as hell not 50% fructose like added sugar is.

is carb a sugar, yes or no?

Is the sky blue, yes or no?

Totally irrelevant.

You might as well ask if water runs downhill.

Again. THINK. Just because two things are carbs does not mean they are the same. Not even close, when it comes to comparing sucrose (table sugar) to wheat.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I could have told you that 10 years ago lol.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Most of it yes. German bread as well. No added sugars. And you can taste the difference right away.

Carb free bread? What kind of a ridiculous thing is that to say? Olive oil is a fat. Doesn't mean you can equate it to bacon grease just because both are fats.

The point here is that sugar added to bread isn't as healthy as bread without sugar. Obviously its all carbs anyways, but its sure as hell not 50% fructose like added sugar is.

Totally irrelevant.

how is it irrelevant? someone said european bread does not have sugar..if it has carbs then your body is going to break it down as sugar….
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    1489061_10152233815543648_219069886_n.jpg

^ me with pizza. Don't feel particularly fat or doomed.
  • amwbox
    Options

Totally irrelevant.

how is it irrelevant? someone said european bread does not have sugar..if it has carbs then your body is going to break it down as sugar….

Because the point is that we're talking about ADDED sugar. The larger point is that in America, because of how cheap we've made things, and particularly when it comes to HFCS, we're actually ADDING additional sugar to countless things. That is a problem, and there is nothing wrong with pointing it out.

Eating a pancake with a bunch of syrup and powdered sugar all over it is not OK simply because the pancake itself is also made of carbohydrate.

And, most importantly, just because sucrose or HFCS is a carb, does not make it the same as wheat. Sucrose is 50% glucose and 50% fructose. Its a basic disaccharide...its not all the same thing as wheat, which isn't going to inject fructose into your body.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Totally irrelevant.

Because the point is that we're talking about ADDED sugar. The larger point is that in America, because of how cheap we've made things, and particularly when it comes to HFCS, we're actually ADDING additional sugar to countless things. That is a problem, and there is nothing wrong with pointing it out.

Eating a pancake with a bunch of syrup and powdered sugar all over it is not OK simply because the pancake itself is also made of carbohydrate.

And, most importantly, just because sucrose or HFCS is a carb, does not make it the same as wheat. Sucrose is 50% glucose and 50% fructose. Its a basic disaccharide...its not all the same thing as wheat, which isn't going to inject fructose into your body.

so your argument is added sugar bad, other sugar good, really?
  • One_Last_Time
    Options
    Were doomed because restaurants make high calorie foods? LOL
    They are giving people what they want. If we didn't want it they wouldn't be in business.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Totally irrelevant.

Actually, my argument is detailed above. Are you having trouble sounding out the words or something?

you are the one making the distinction about added sugar….so I am just curious …you know "the socratic method" and all …

bread has carbs in it, which would imply that it is a sugar, right? so european bread has sugar in it …I never made any distinction between added and non added sugar...
  • Jeslefisch
    Jeslefisch Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think about this all the time. I think the commercials I see on T.V. advertising food are just obnoxious and brain-washing. If you are not taught self-control and accustomed to eating healthy by your parents or family, then you're set up for failure! The food produced by these corporations is not even real! You can sit there and say " people are happy being fat and eating whatever they want" but I think they are unhappy and feel guilty when they over indulge especially in a double pepperoni bacon pizza. I know I did when I had no idea how to eat right. I'm not saying that "the obese" are not people too, I'm saying someone needs to show them the way. That's definitely not going to happen with the constant attack of fast food commercials. I really wish I could help my dad out but he's so damn stubborn and always says "don't tell me what to do". He needs help, complains about his weight, complains when he eats too much, and doesn't know how to control it. Total junkie for junk food. Food is an addiction and it seems everyone that's commented so far is saying it's not a problem?! are you kidding me?
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options

Totally irrelevant.

I think this is the typical MFP I wanna argue, so I'll misinterpret and argue "it depends on what the definition of is is"

Obviously whats being talked about is the added sugar in bread here = more calories, and the added size of portions adds even more calories. If you are truly having a hard time understanding this, think of it this way: food calories + added sugar calories + added portion size calories = over your calories for the day if you are just planning for the original dish calories, which adds up over time. It doesn't mean anyone is arguing what is a sugar isn't a sugar.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Maybe because the yeast eats all the sugar so they don't have to include it in the ingredients?

Meanwhile, if you're making bread at home, you probably don't want to omit the sugar from the recipe.

Yeast doesn't work that way. Yeast eats the carbs naturally present in the flour. It doesn't need added sugar. Not at all.

Oh, yeast actually *does* work that way...it just doesn't *have* to. Yeast will gladly eat sugar...that part, I know is true...but had forgotten that yeast will also eat that essentially-the-same-thing-as-sugar-wheat-flour too. The yeast treats them similarly...(I wonder why?).

I also wonder if there are any other living organisms that do the same...
This discussion has been closed.