America is doomed

Options

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    meh. natural selection.

It isn't natural selection when many poor people are obese because they can't afford healthy food. It's extermination. And if allowed to continue, America should be doomed.

This is a myth: -

a) healthy food is not more expensive

b) if people are so poor then surely they can only afford small amounts of unhealthy food anyway. You wouldnt put on weight....

Yeah, right. Healthy food isn't more expensive. Sure. And that is why I can't afford meat anymore and have more money when I overeat because the foods I buy when I overeat are so much cheaper.

This is of course rubbish and ignorant of the truth. And if you, as you admit, are overeating, then you are spending more than you should on food. So how is this cheaper?

Low carb with a heaping helping of vegetables on the side is healthier than mac and cheese, peanut butter and jelly, and cookies. And on low carb I don't have as much of an issue with cravings and overeating. But I can't afford meat anymore, so I have to buy foods I will overeat on.

And I'm relatively lucky, or I couldn't even contemplate trying to meet all my nutritional needs. I bought a tomato the other day in the grocery store. It cost four dollars. Admittedly, it was a big tomato, but some people have only four or five dollars a day to use for food, and they can't just eat a tomato.
    $4 for one tomato? :huh:

I could buy a lot of tomatoes over here for the equivalent of $4

Next time I will definitely shop around and not just buy one from whatever grocery I happen to be in. It did weigh about a pound. It was a ridiculously huge tomato.

Yes. All of the tomatoes in La La Land are ridiculously huge.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    meh. natural selection.

It isn't natural selection when many poor people are obese because they can't afford healthy food. It's extermination. And if allowed to continue, America should be doomed.

This is a myth: -

a) healthy food is not more expensive

b) if people are so poor then surely they can only afford small amounts of unhealthy food anyway. You wouldnt put on weight....

Yeah, right. Healthy food isn't more expensive. Sure. And that is why I can't afford meat anymore and have more money when I overeat because the foods I buy when I overeat are so much cheaper.

This is of course rubbish and ignorant of the truth. And if you, as you admit, are overeating, then you are spending more than you should on food. So how is this cheaper?

Low carb with a heaping helping of vegetables on the side is healthier than mac and cheese, peanut butter and jelly, and cookies. And on low carb I don't have as much of an issue with cravings and overeating. But I can't afford meat anymore, so I have to buy foods I will overeat on.

And I'm relatively lucky, or I couldn't even contemplate trying to meet all my nutritional needs. I bought a tomato the other day in the grocery store. It cost four dollars. Admittedly, it was a big tomato, but some people have only four or five dollars a day to use for food, and they can't just eat a tomato.

FOUR dollars??? That €2.88 :noway: A regular tomato here is ~ €0.20
    Out of curiosity, how much is a Big Mac?

Calorie for calorie, a big mac is a lot cheaper!

Senseless comparison. Why should the world's food prices be determined by calorie content?
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Calorie for calorie, a big mac is a lot cheaper!

Yes, but by portion size it is much more expensive. I believe grains and dairy actually come out the cheapest on this basis.

I also think cheap, highly palatable calories which provide little volume and satiety is exactly what causes most the problems in the first place: over consumption.

A diet based on whole, minimally refined foods works out the same if not cheaper in cost and provides less overall calories for the same level of hunger satisfaction.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    There IS more added sugar in USA bread - my daughter was living in USA for 6 months and she noticed, as other Australians in USA have, that the bread tastes much sweeter.

Out of curiosity I googled USA bread info and compared to bread labels here - obviously I didnt include every bread on either market but I compared the standard white breads - there was more sugar in USA breads - it is not just perception or hearsay, it is the case.

Whether or not that is relevant to thread IDK - but there it is.

Its the case if your buying cheap factory bread, sure. Much as with anything else, you get quality if you pay more. Bakeries in the States don't add sugar to ciabatta, pugliese, various french breads, or anything else that traditionally doesn't call for it.

If you buy enriched bread, don't be surprised if its enriched.

Usually the case with "American" foods that foreigners are critical of is that they are getting the cheap stuff with the worst reputation. So many people think McDonalds and Budweiser is indicative of proper American food and beer...sad how it all works out. Its just marketing fooling people.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    There IS more added sugar in USA bread - my daughter was living in USA for 6 months and she noticed, as other Australians in USA have, that the bread tastes much sweeter.

Out of curiosity I googled USA bread info and compared to bread labels here - obviously I didnt include every bread on either market but I compared the standard white breads - there was more sugar in USA breads - it is not just perception or hearsay, it is the case.

Its the case if your buying cheap factory bread, sure. Much as with anything else, you get quality if you pay more. Bakeries in the States don't add sugar to ciabatta, pugliese, various french breads, or anything else that traditionally doesn't call for it.

Usually the case with "American" foods that foreigners are critical of is that they are getting the cheap stuff with the worst reputation. So many people think McDonalds and Budweiser is indicative of proper American food and beer...sad how it all works out. Its just marketing fooling people.
    American beers = urine specimen

</thread>
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options

I posted the ingredients list (a page or two ago) of our cheapest, nastiest white sliced bread here, and it still contained no sugar though.
  • amwbox
    Options
    Maybe because the yeast eats all the sugar so they don't have to include it in the ingredients?

Meanwhile, if you're making bread at home, you probably don't want to omit the sugar from the recipe.

Yeast doesn't work that way. Yeast eats the carbs naturally present in the flour. It doesn't need added sugar. Not at all.

Oh, yeast actually *does* work that way...it just doesn't *have* to. Yeast will gladly eat sugar...that part, I know is true...but had forgotten that yeast will also eat that essentially-the-same-thing-as-sugar-wheat-flour too. The yeast treats them similarly...(I wonder why?).

I also wonder if there are any other living organisms that do the same...

You should read the above posts more carefully. The claim was that the added sugar is what the yeast uses to raise the bread. Which is entirely incorrect, as yeast requires NO added sugar at all, as it is designed to process natural carbohydrate, which is chemically far more complex than sucrose. People add sugar to yeast because they don't know any better, not because the yeast actually needs it.

You can literally add dry yeast to flour and water, and stick in the fridge for days on end, and it will cheerfully bubble away...if much more slowly. I've been doing that very thing for years. Its a common way to vastly improve the quality of bread.
  • SuperstarDJ
    Options

</thread>

Don't take the piss out of American beer >:(
    It's needs all the flavour it can get :drinker:
  • amwbox
    Options

I posted the ingredients list (a page or two ago) of our cheapest, nastiest white sliced bread here, and it still contained no sugar though.

Maybe they're talking about the whole wheat bread...usually there is some brown sugar or molasses in that it order to improve the flavor. But thats common overseas as well.
  • amwbox
    Options

</thread>

See? This is exactly the sort of ignorance I'm talking about. Overseas they are exposed to what amounts to the McDonalds of beer. Things like Budweiser and Coors.

They are completely ignorant of the thousands of varieties of extremely good beer we produce in this country.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Pizza makes you FAT...and that is that.
    Worth it.
  • SuperstarDJ
    Options

Maybe they're talking about the whole wheat bread...usually there is some brown sugar or molasses in that it order to improve the flavor. But thats common overseas as well.
    Beside the picture of the ingredients list of the white bread, I also posted the ingredients lost of wholemeal bread and again, no sugar.
  • amwbox
    Options

Beside the picture of the ingredients list of the white bread, I also posted the ingredients lost of wholemeal bread and again, no sugar.

Ah. Well that's what I get for extending the benefit of doubt lol.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    I make homemade pepperoni, Canadian bacon and bacon pizzas. I have celiac so they are gluten free. Which, despite popular myth, makes them LESS healthy as rice flour has less fiber and a whole heck of a lot more simple sugars AND more calories. It's also made with a TON of cheese. The secret to eating this and not being an "overweight American"? DO NOT EAT THE ENTIRE FREAKING PIZZA IN ONE SITTING! Throw in some veggies, fruit, sleep and plenty of water and you're set. Exercise helps too! :flowerforyou: Oh and I do have ice cream, with a touch of chocolate sauce, for dessert. Same thing... don't eat the entire gallon!
    You know what's weird? I live in Canada and there is no such thing as "Canadian Bacon". We eat regular "strip" bacon and I have to cross the border into the states to get this so called "Canadian Bacon". Strange huh?

americans refer peameal bacon as canadian bacon no? ive never actually seen "Canadian bacon" anywhere in the states, but i dont go there often and when i have i dont go grocery shopping or out for breakfast
  • rml_16
    Options
    Moral of the thread:

America sucks. Europe is superior in every way.

Yes?
  • amwbox
    Options
    I make homemade pepperoni, Canadian bacon and bacon pizzas. I have celiac so they are gluten free. Which, despite popular myth, makes them LESS healthy as rice flour has less fiber and a whole heck of a lot more simple sugars AND more calories. It's also made with a TON of cheese. The secret to eating this and not being an "overweight American"? DO NOT EAT THE ENTIRE FREAKING PIZZA IN ONE SITTING! Throw in some veggies, fruit, sleep and plenty of water and you're set. Exercise helps too! :flowerforyou: Oh and I do have ice cream, with a touch of chocolate sauce, for dessert. Same thing... don't eat the entire gallon!
    You know what's weird? I live in Canada and there is no such thing as "Canadian Bacon". We eat regular "strip" bacon and I have to cross the border into the states to get this so called "Canadian Bacon". Strange huh?

americans refer peameal bacon as canadian bacon no? ive never actually seen "Canadian bacon" anywhere in the states, but i dont go there often and when i have i dont go grocery shopping or out for breakfast

Canadian bacon, as I understand it, is bacon made from the loin as opposed to the belly. Bacon in the UK is generally made from the loin, though of course they also have the streaky belly bacon.

Pretty sure the "Canadian bacon" comes from the British-style bacon that used to be more prevalent there. In America they never developed a tradition of making loin bacon.

Canadian bacon seems to be mostly considered to be ham...but obviously ham isn't made from the loin...so that's wrong...
  • amwbox
    Options
    Moral of the thread:

Yes?

There are fantasy lands populated with the sorts of fools who would make such sweeping generalizations about collections of imaginary lines, I'm sure. I was stationed in Europe for two years once upon a time. Travelled pretty extensively throughout during the time.

Great place to visit...can't imagine wanting to live there.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Moral of the thread:

Yes?
    Duh! That's like saying "water is wet".
  • amwbox
    Options
    Moral of the thread:

Yes?
    Duh! That's like saying "water is wet".

Inferiority complex. :D
  • rml_16
    Options
    Moral of the thread:

Yes?

There are fantasy lands populated with the sorts of fools who would make such sweeping generalizations about collections of imaginary lines, I'm sure. I was stationed in Europe for two years once upon a time. Travelled pretty extensively throughout during the time.

Great place to visit...can't imagine wanting to live there.
    I have never been, but I have an unnatural obsession with England and would like to live there for at least a few years at some point in my life. I would still want to come back to the US, though. It's my home.

I do not want to come back to the US because I think it's necessarily better. It's just different. Heaven forbid anyone respect that there are different cultures with different customs and foods. *shrug*

Is the food in Italy the same as the food in France? Why don't people compare those countries' foods and decide one is superior and the other is stupid and evil?
This discussion has been closed.