America is doomed

Options
1171819202123»

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    What sort of place were you shopping at to pay $4 for one tomato.

If I go to some shops, I can pay a hell of a lot for fresh fruit and veg in the UK.

As it is, I paid £1 for 4 large 'tomatoes on the vine' earlier - $1.50. I'd consider that expensive - I can get a good number of smaller tomatoes for less than that if I want..

Publix. I was wrong, I paid 3.71 before tax. It was priced 3.99 a pound. Wasn't even organic, at least as far as I know. Next time I will shop around! I'm new to buying tomatoes, I don't like them much, too juicy, but I wanted the potassium and I bought a dehydrator because sun dried ones are delicious. My dehydrator should arrive tomorrow but if I don't find tomatoes cheaper than that I won't get much use out of it!

Excuse me here, but didn't you say you hardly have enough money to eat on every day---and you ordered a dehydrator? Something isn't right about your posts.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Dehydrators are pretty good wastes of money, though...

I have made jerky with mine that was pretty good. I also attempted dehydrating pineapples, but I found that I would also need a good food processor to cut the pieces evenly.

But they are definitely a "luxury" item.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

If I go to some shops, I can pay a hell of a lot for fresh fruit and veg in the UK.

As it is, I paid £1 for 4 large 'tomatoes on the vine' earlier - $1.50. I'd consider that expensive - I can get a good number of smaller tomatoes for less than that if I want..

Publix. I was wrong, I paid 3.71 before tax. It was priced 3.99 a pound. Wasn't even organic, at least as far as I know. Next time I will shop around! I'm new to buying tomatoes, I don't like them much, too juicy, but I wanted the potassium and I bought a dehydrator because sun dried ones are delicious. My dehydrator should arrive tomorrow but if I don't find tomatoes cheaper than that I won't get much use out of it!
    Uhh, you don't get sun-dried tomatoes by throwing them in a dehydrator. The clue to making them is kind of in the name...

Dehydrators are pretty good wastes of money, though...

Except for preservation of surplus produce that would otherwise go to waste, but otherwise, yeah, not cost efficient at all.

Or for making good hiking/camping foods...

Oh, and to make jerky...which is delicious...but again, not particularly cost efficient.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options

Excuse me here, but didn't you say you hardly have enough money to eat on every day---and you ordered a dehydrator? Something isn't right about your posts.
    Claiming she paid $4 (or close) for one tomato at Publix is a dead giveaway she's FOS.

I'd post a pic of the receipt but I'm too busy reporting you.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I failed to make decent jerky in my dehydrator - the main reason I bought it.

So, tomatoes adverised at $3.99 / lb.

So this was a 1lb tomato.

Larger tomatoes I get here might be about a quarter pound. A beef tomato at a guess maybe a half pound for a particularly large one (haven't bought any recently, so pure guess).

Google shows the following to be a 1lb tomato:
    1lb+tomato.jpg
    Not surprised it was expensive.

A pound of smaller tomatoes here would likely cost the equivelent of $1 or so if you go for cheap ones and shop around.
  • Jestinia
    Options
    I failed to make decent jerky in my dehydrator - the main reason I bought it.

So, tomatoes adverised at $3.99 / lb.

So this was a 1lb tomato.

Larger tomatoes I get here might be about a quarter pound. A beef tomato at a guess maybe a half pound for a particularly large one (haven't bought any recently, so pure guess).

Google shows the following to be a 1lb tomato:
    1lb+tomato.jpg
    Not surprised it was expensive.

A pound of smaller tomatoes here would likely cost the equivelent of $1 or so if you go for cheap ones and shop around.

It was called an ugly tomato of all things. Maybe there is something special about them? I thought it was funny, but it looked good. Tasted good, too, as far as tomatoes go. I will definitely shop around next time. Probably the darn thing was on steroids.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

You can get a better deal on tomatoes than I can out of season. (In season people give them away, yes.)

Checking Peapod (online shopping service, supposed to be about the same as a major local grocery), 62 cents each here, but in a big city which is probably more expensive than most parts of the US, and not on special.

A giant $4 tomato isn't normally US prices. Sounds like an heirloom to me.
  • Jestinia
    Options
    48069964_9420.jpg
  • Jestinia
    Options

You can get a better deal on tomatoes than I can out of season. (In season people give them away, yes.)

Checking Peapod (online shopping service, supposed to be about the same as a major local grocery), 62 cents each here, but in a big city which is probably more expensive than most parts of the US, and not on special.

A giant $4 tomato isn't normally US prices. Sounds like an heirloom to me.

You're right, I looked it up, it is an heirloom, whatever the heck that is. I don't know a tomato from tomato sauce, but I definitely won't be buying them at that price again, not unless they do a song and dance or scrub my kitchen or something!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You're right, I looked it up, it is an heirloom, whatever the heck that is. I don't know a tomato from tomato sauce, but I definitely won't be buying them at that price again, not unless they do a song and dance or scrub my kitchen or something!

Tasty, but often not very durable and more easily injured. Also, overpriced. I grow them.
  • Jestinia
    Options

Tasty, but often not very durable and more easily injured. Also, overpriced. I grow them.

Nice! I'd like to grow a portion of my own food at some point. I hear it all tastes better anyway. Won't be this year, though, I'll be in transit.
  • moodybutty
    Options
    I don't think the fact that you can buy a high calorie pizza is responsible for the United States' obesity problem. There is a proven link between income inequality and obesity. As the USA has some of the greatest income inequality (gap between richest and poorest) in the world therefore they have some of the highest levels of overweight and obese people. Japan, Norway and Sweden on the other hand are at the other end of the scale for both inequality and obesity.

Source: The Spirit Level, Richard Wilkinson & Kate Picket, Penguin Books
  • Jestinia
    Options
    I don't think the fact that you can buy a high calorie pizza is responsible for the United States' obesity problem. There is a proven link between income inequality and obesity. As the USA has some of the greatest income inequality (gap between richest and poorest) in the world therefore they have some of the highest levels of overweight and obese people. Japan, Norway and Sweden on the other hand are at the other end of the scale for both inequality and obesity.

Source: The Spirit Level, Richard Wilkinson & Kate Picket, Penguin Books

I hope you have your flame retardant gear on. Suggesting that the poor in America aren't the world's healthiest, laziest, luckiest, richest slobs on earth is like waving a red cape in front of a bull.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Claiming she paid $4 (or close) for one tomato at Publix is a dead giveaway she's FOS.

I'd post a pic of the receipt but I'm too busy reporting you.
    Reporting for what?

So you bought a nearly 1-pound tomato? You can make a week's worth of salads with that ...

So for argument's sake, you did pay $3.71 for a nearly 1-pound tomato. Seven days of lunches, divided by $3.71 = .53 per day. You could make the rest of that salad for maybe another $1, including protein.
This discussion has been closed.