Why do people seem to bash "healthy"eating?

Options

Replies

• jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    Is butter a carb?

Whatever, I'm getting cheese fries...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    They like to use any excuse to eat like crap

Also IIFYM started as a phrase when dumb kids would ask if they could eat a certain food in their diet. If it fit their macros they could eat it. It eventually turned into eating whatever you want as long as it fits

Just adding this to the list for the next time we're asked to provide examples.

Nothing to see here.

Move along.

Move along.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

Also IIFYM started as a phrase when dumb kids would ask if they could eat a certain food in their diet. If it fit their macros they could eat it. It eventually turned into eating whatever you want as long as it fits

Nothing to see here.

Move along.

Move along.

I hope you also got

"I wouldn't feed subway to my dog" and "if you eat subway, enjoy your cancer."
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options

Nothing to see here.

Move along.

Move along.

"We don't label our diet as superior. We just choose not to consume toxic garbage non-food that will slowly kill you because duh."
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Nothing to see here.

Move along.

Move along.

I hope you also got

how on earth did I miss those!!!!
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    IN

Because two train wrecks are better than one

This^^^

I am not a member of either group...
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Nothing to see here.

Move along.

Move along.

I hope you also got

Yep I remember those gems from the Paleo Subway thread.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Nothing to see here.

Move along.

Move along.

I hope you also got

how on earth did I miss those!!!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1270105-paleo-options-at-subway
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    OH okay- I hadn't dived in there- my brain kind of balked at the idea of someone doing paleo going to subway- it's like a vegetarian going to a brazilian rotissery place. (you know- the all you can eat meat ones)

I'll have to catch myself up on this delicious gem.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    OH okay- I hadn't dived in there- my brain kind of balked at the idea of someone doing paleo going to subway- it's like a vegetarian going to a brazilian rotissery place. (you know- the all you can eat meat ones)

I'll have to catch myself up on this delicious gem.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1267856-subway

This has the subway cancer in it, somewhere underneath all the cookie-shaming.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Search sucks here, but google using site:myfitnesspal.com makes it *slightly* better. Found a few potentially relevant examples. (Note, these are not the "best" examples, just the ones I was able to easily find with a quick search.)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1081237-what-ice-cream-is-in-your-freezer-currently?page=8
    none .....ice cream IS garbage ...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1245928-is-eating-at-deficit-enough
    You can eat garbage and be at a calorie deficit, but you aren't going to feel good and it will probably hinder your weight loss/fitness goals.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1060410--no-garbage-lasagna
    For me (and most others): "White pasta + too much cheese + highly saturated fatty meat" = lasagna IS garbage.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1248471-confused-about-macros
    Your body can't run efficiently on garbage.

Of course, I don't believe that every individual within a movement is a spokesperson for that movement...but since I'm being held to the standard of everything that has ever been said by every antagonist of clean eating, I suppose that makes these examples relevant...especially since many in this thread have denied that these example even exist. Also, these are just a quick sampling of the first few pages of hits. There are certainly hundreds, likely even thousands more in the 1.2m posts on this site.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

Nothing to see here.

Move along.

Move along.

Oh good! Keeping a list is a good idea especially for the 'I told you so crowd' :drinker:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    In to be in.
    tumblr_mtjw5nREM21sj3oxho1_500.gif

Also, obligatory cat gif:
    tumblr_mtu63gnHLu1sj3oxho1_500.gif
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Search sucks here, but google using site:myfitnesspal.com makes it *slightly* better. Found a few potentially relevant examples. (Note, these are not the "best" examples, just the ones I was able to easily find with a quick search.)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1081237-what-ice-cream-is-in-your-freezer-currently?page=8

You can eat garbage and be at a calorie deficit, but you aren't going to feel good and it will probably hinder your weight loss/fitness goals.

For me (and most others): "White pasta + too much cheese + highly saturated fatty meat" = lasagna IS garbage.

Of course, I don't believe that every individual within a movement is a spokesperson for that movement...but since I'm being held to the standard of everything that has ever been said by every antagonist of clean eating, I suppose that makes these examples relevant...especially since many in this thread have denied that these example even exist. Also, these are just a quick sampling of the first few pages of hits. There are certainly hundreds, likely even thousands more in the 1.2m posts on this site.

Thank you, Jof.
    tumblr_mty7a6ZfUA1sj3oxho1_500.gif
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    A nice bowl of cold Borscht anyone?

14042419164_c5ae67fcc7.jpgimage

That looks like Jello. No thanks.

I think I would prefer Jello to Borscht...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I think I would prefer Jello to Borscht...

Ha ha! I can't stand the stuff. It's mostly a texture thing. I like to chew my food, and with Jello, it just slides around. I can eat it in say, a fruit salad or something, when it just melds with other things, like chopped nuts and fruits.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

I don't agree with nor have I denied the existence of these types of offending statements. The mature thing to do would be to comment to the person making the comment and not paint everyone who is in whatever niche eating style with the same brush. Someone who simply mentions they eat clean should not get the wrath of every member who for whatever reason is ticked off either by vocal clean eaters or the concept itself. The unfortunate thing is, this type of thing is hindering what could be some very interesting discussion. It is a lost learning opportunity simply because some (and that refers to anyone eating a particular style or avoiding a particular food) try to push their ideals down the throats of others.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Oh, and beets that have been roasted, then chilled and marinated in balsamic vinegar, and then drizzled in olive oil are delicious. (Plain old roasted beets are awesome too.)

...and any so-called friends of mine who say otherwise should not be trusted.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    IIFYM =/= eat whatever "junk" you want

it's impossible to do that and actually hit your macros...

For example:

my calorie goal is 2100 cals/day for maintenance or 1800 cals/day for a cut

Can I eat 2100 cals of pizza* and hit my macros? No. Pizza is too high in fat and carbs and too low in protein, to be able to do that. I can maybe fit in a couple of slices of pizza if I make a big effort for the rest of the day to eat enough protein and keep my fat and carbs low. It's worth doing this for high fat, high carb, low protein foods as long as they taste good enough to make the effort of fitting them in worthwhile. Which is why I don't eat Krispy Kreme donuts, because I don't actually like them enough to make the effort to fit them in my macros. They look pretty, but they really lack in the taste department... too sweet (sickly sweet even) and no other flavours. I'd rather eat curry and curry's a lot easier to fit into my macros.

*I don't classify pizza, or any food, as junk. However pizza is a high carb high fat food that doesn't give much protein for the amount of calories, this makes it hard to fit into any sensible macronutrient ratios.... and the same is true about a lot of other food that's frequently labelled as "junk" e.g. cake, chocolate and ice cream. And some, like gummy bears and pepsi, are only high in carbs and have no other nutrition. Of course I have to take these things into account when planning my meals to fit my macros, otherwise I'm not going to manage to hit my macros! All of these foods take planning to fit into my macros and calorie goal. Planning which involves eating foods like chicken salad that most "clean eaters" would classify as "clean".

It should be clear that IIFYM is really not different to eating clean 80/20 (at least by the more reasonable definitions that don't demonise entire food groups)......... because they'll eat high protein, moderate fat, moderate carb foods a lot, plus foods high in micronutrients and then allowing themselves to eat whatever up to around 20% of their diet...... the only difference is that IIFYM people don't classify foods into "clean" and "junk" and instead regard them as foods providing different ratios of fat, protein and carbs. But what these two groups end up eating isn't really that different, and in both cases it's a healthy, balanced diet that's feeding their body well and enabling them to get and maintain a healthy body composition.

So the whole debate is really silly, and if people would just stop with the dichotomous thinking and trying to pigeonhole people, and read what's actually being said instead of misinterpreting statements such as "you can enjoy fast food so long as you're careful to fit it into your calories and macros" as "eat whatever you want and who cares about health" this argument really wouldn't be happening.

Oh and then there are the people who's definition of "clean" results in them eating an extremely unbalanced diet, e.g. people who think entire food groups are the devil, or people who think that humans are herbivores and should live on just fruit... but that's a whole separate issue, most "clean" eaters aren't that extreme. But there is a valid objection to the word "clean" in that it has no definition, so one person will interpret "eat clean" as "don't eat any foods that contain fat" another as "don't eat food that comes out of factories" and others as "don't eat anything that your grandma hasn't heard of" and so on... well a lot of people's definition of "clean" results in diet is nutritionally balanced (albeit overly restrictive for most people) but a zero fat diet is extremely unbalanced and unhealthy, trying to live only off fruit is worse... so just because someone says they "eat clean" it doesn't mean their diet is even close to healthy. And then there's the mental health aspect regarding excessively restrictive diets.... so really, there is a lot to question about regarding "eating clean".... but most "clean eaters" are getting a balanced diet, and 80/20 clean eating generally results in a very similar diet to IIFYM, so to consider them as two opposite extremes, as debates like this do, is a false dichotomy.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

It's incredible stuff as beets are one of the super foods I love to eat. The above was Ina Garten's recipe for cold borscht.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/summer-borscht-recipe.html

Hot Borscht is good as well.

And since we are discussing healthy eating that gets bashed, I thought I'd pony up one of the world's healthiest foods - beets. ;-)

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=49

Beets turn my poop red.